• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Am I the only one who wants Black Shadow to not be a clone but have alot of similar crazy physical moves like captain falcon does?

Make up cool crap like Shadow Fist, Darkness Upper, Charging Bull, Shadow Sphere.

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
Leekslap, you should totally check out a book called "How to Win Friends and Influence People". I highly recommend reading at least a few chapters of that book that, it helped me IMMENSELY.

I know what it's like to feel crummy about posts and comments I wish I could take back on message boards-- I'm certainly guilty of making my fair share of less-than-informed posts and threads on other sites. I used to post more frequently on gamefaqs under a different username, haha. But yeah, it's a great book that really helped me out in real life as well as on the internet. I've still got a long way to go though, because nobody's above slipping in this area, myself included.
Hey. My dad just bought me that book no so long ago.

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
You know what would be so jank? If Pichu lost control of his electricity whenever he got hit so sparks with tiny, weak hitboxes fly off him in all his damage animations.
While its an interesting idea on paper, I'm not sure it would be wise to add a character that deals damage for doing nothing.

If the electric shocks deal knock back, as someone else suggested, then Pichu will be virtually immune to combos.

If they don't do knockback, then you have a character that you can't attack without taking damage yourself, which is just as annoying as Pichu doing damage to himself.

Combining your idea and the ideas in this thread, maybe it would be better if Pichu built up a charge by running around a lot, that made it release on either Pichu's next attack or upon taking the next hit? I'm still sold on the idea, but it's at least more interesting than Pichu's melee moveset.

Super_Primid

Smash Apprentice
@ Hagrid Hagrid
What about a mechanic where the more moves pichu land, the more his forward special thunder bolt (just a horizantal thunder) gets stronger. The only moves that could charge it would be electric based moves. Once fully charged it can be an extremely strong attack though it resets once you die. This would make people want to combo a lot and not just stay still or dash dance.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
While its an interesting idea on paper, I'm not sure it would be wise to add a character that deals damage for doing nothing.

If the electric shocks deal knock back, as someone else suggested, then Pichu will be virtually immune to combos.

If they don't do knockback, then you have a character that you can't attack without taking damage yourself, which is just as annoying as Pichu doing damage to himself.

Combining your idea and the ideas in this thread, maybe it would be better if Pichu built up a charge by running around a lot, that made it release on either Pichu's next attack or upon taking the next hit? I'm still sold on the idea, but it's at least more interesting than Pichu's melee moveset.
I wasn't actually being serious when I suggested it, but when you really think about it, it would add a really twisted sort of balance to him. When dealing out damage, he takes a small amount, but he makes up for it by dishing out a small amount when he takes damage himself. He'd be an incredibly polarizing character.

And nah, I'd say don't let it deal knockback.

I still favor OrangeSodaGuy's Discharge idea the most, in any case.

Last edited:

ManaT

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0130-2279-3947
Yeah the Discharge suggestion was a really cool idea would work well with hit and run tactics

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't actually being serious when I suggested it, but when you really think about it, it would add a really twisted sort of balance to him. When dealing out damage, he takes a small amount, but he makes up for it by dishing out a small amount when he takes damage himself. He'd be an incredibly polarizing character.

And nah, I'd say don't let it deal knockback.

I would actually be ok if both the attacker AND Pichu took damage. Like you say, it is sort of fair that way.

And yeah, OrangeSodaGuy's discharge FTW :)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I would actually be ok if both the attacker AND Pichu took damage. Like you say, it is sort of fair that way.

And yeah, OrangeSodaGuy's discharge FTW :)
So, opponent would be punished for being a good player? Then all Pichu would have to do is provoke opponent to attack him and survive those attacks, then just OHKO opponent thanks to all of that damage shared or just projectile spam and after enough damage dealt, run until timer reaches 0. Lucario had something similar, but it didn't guaranteed reward anyhow and only Lucario got short end of the stick even though he became stronger.

Last edited:

ou3ndan

Smash Rookie
1-VOTE
King K.Rool
Sami
Ridley
Ashley

1/2 VOTE:
none

DOWN-VOTE:
Dixie kong
Dark Samus
ganondorf/Black Shadow

I only just saw the OP, here's my votes, hope it makes a difference!

King K.Rool - Because he is a very interesting character, he was a king, a pirate, a boxer and a scientist. I think DK is a historic franchise, and needs another rep, Adding ANOTHER monkey would be boring however, so adding the big croc would make the roster more diverse

Sami - Because advanced wars is important, the GBA, a very sucessful system, owes some of its success to advanced wars. There have been four advanced was games and they have been so popular there was a spin off BW franchise for the GC and Wii. I think its shockingt hat brawl and smash 4 didnt have an AW character.

Ridley - is not too big, also metroid needs another rep, villains in general are under represented in smash

Ashley- Because wario ware is also important, there have been to my knowledge there have been ?8? wario ware games and a game and wario game, wario ware/wario land need some damn representation. I also think captain syrup could be cool, but she isnt on the list....

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I wasn't taking the 'sparks' idea of Pichu seriously,in all honesty.
On the subject of the 2nd F-Zero rep,I'm honestly not sure it needs another,objectively speaking.It's easy to think of it as a core franchise,due to C.Falcon's veteran status in Smash,but the series has 3 games.And the last one was released in 2003.Sadly,the Captain seems to be dead to Nintendo,outside of Smash.
Not that this is a reason to exclude an F-Zero character from P:M.I'm a guy who dosen't mind under or over-representation very much.Gameplay potential and bias is what drives my preference.

Last edited:

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
So, opponent would be punished for being a good player? Then all Pichu would have to do is provoke opponent to attack him and survive those attacks, then just OHKO opponent thanks to all of that damage shared or just projectile spam and after enough damage dealt, run until timer reaches 0. Lucario had something similar, but it didn't guaranteed reward anyhow and only Lucario got short end of the stick even though he became stronger.
Yes in general, you shouldn't punish a player for going on the offensive. But Pichu's melee moveset punished you for attacking. IF they wanted to keep that mechanic (not saying they should), making him deal damage to the opponent who attacks him makes the mechanic a bit more fair and a bit more viable.

Like I said before, I'm not sold on the idea. I just think it would be a possible minor improvement to Pichu's melee moveset if he was to come back with minimal changes.

Personally I would vastly prefer the self damage mechanic to be removed completely.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
@the heads of the thread:
Can you guys consider linking posts that have fairly large moveset ideas for a character(s) in the character's section of the OP?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yes in general, you shouldn't punish a player for going on the offensive. But Pichu's melee moveset punished you for attacking. IF they wanted to keep that mechanic (not saying they should), making him deal damage to the opponent who attacks him makes the mechanic a bit more fair and a bit more viable.

Like I said before, I'm not sold on the idea. I just think it would be a possible minor improvement to Pichu's melee moveset if he was to come back with minimal changes.

Personally I would vastly prefer the self damage mechanic to be removed completely.
Why not just scrap it and replace with something else or make him not only take damage, but also accomulate it and then gain ability to discharge it like Ivysaur's Solar Beam, dealing as much damage as he took from using electric attacks. Even if it is 300% (which would make it OHKO on any stage). It would be released by using neutral B or with a taunt or somethin'. That is a lot better and rewards player for being able to survive despite being at such high % and having very low weight.
Can you guys consider linking posts that have fairly large moveset ideas for a character(s) in the character's section of the OP?
Its a good idea. Then my Ridley moveset should be there too.

Last edited:

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
Why not just scrap it and replace with something else or make him not only take damage, but also accomulate it and then gain ability to discharge it like Ivysaur's Solar Beam, dealing as much damage as he took from using electric attacks. Even if it is 300% (which would make it OHKO on any stage). It would be released by using neutral B or with a taunt or somethin'. That is a lot better and rewards player for being able to survive despite being at such high % and having very low weight.
I was thinking along the lines of something similar. It would be very easy for the "Discharge" ability to promote camping and jank if implemented poorly. I was thinking that Pichu should start taking damage for charging the move TOO much without either using the Discharge or at least hitting an opponent with one of his electric moves (like Dedede's Jet Hammer).

Mean Green

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who wants Black Shadow to not be a clone but have alot of similar crazy physical moves like captain falcon does?

Make up cool crap like Shadow Fist, Darkness Upper, Charging Bull, Shadow Sphere.
You're not. And everyone has a Falcon/Ganondorf in their pocket amirite [yes]. A 3rd option would be pretty nice.

Falcon base (obviously)
- Jabs: (A) Falcon's, except jabs after GM replaced by rapid kicks.
(B) Gentleman, with knee more pronounced (like Ganon has a single strong attack).

- UTilt: keep, or use Falcon's 64 USmash / Mario's UTilt.

- DTilt: Falcon's KB/trajectory, move resebling Samus's ankle-swipe kick (forward hitbox only).

- FSmash: (A) Samus' FSmash punch or Melee Ganon's neutral B punch.
(B) Falcon's 64 kick.

- DSmash: Lucario's DSmash, but backhand attacks (Warlock Punch's glowing fists).

- USmash: vBrawl Ganon's up smash.

- B: Charging Bull (dark-effect [bull] falcon punch with a different character animation).

- uB: Darkness Upper [idk about that name lol] (Ganon's animation, Falcon's grab, dark explosion obviously).

- sB: Shadow Fist (dark Raptor Boost, change uppercut to angled-punch, 30-80º KB).

- dB: (I don't see anything wrong with Wiz-Foot recycle).

- FAir: We can always use more knees but Ganon's F-air seems more fitting. Idk what'd be best.

Leave the rest alone, add illusions on Dash Attack / Side-B, for extra hype.
(Double-space is only to make it easier to read).

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
We actually have linked some posts for certain characters. The problem is, keeping track of every moveset being posted in addition to counting votes and updating the OP more frequently because of said additions... doesn't sound like fun.
1-VOTE
King K.Rool
Sami
Ridley
Ashley

1/2 VOTE:
none

DOWN-VOTE:
Dixie kong
Dark Samus
ganondorf/Black Shadow

King K.Rool - Because he is a very interesting character, he was a king, a pirate, a boxer and a scientist. I think DK is a historic franchise, and needs another rep, Adding ANOTHER monkey would be boring however, so adding the big croc would make the roster more diverse

Sami - Because advanced wars is important, the GBA, a very sucessful system, owes some of its success to advanced wars. There have been four advanced was games and they have been so popular there was a spin off BW franchise for the GC and Wii. I think its shockingt hat brawl and smash 4 didnt have an AW character.

Ridley - is not too big, also metroid needs another rep, villains in general are under represented in smash

Ashley- Because wario ware is also important, there have been to my knowledge there have been ?8? wario ware games and a game and wario game, wario ware/wario land need some damn representation. I also think captain syrup could be cool, but she isnt on the list....
Good job, the only thing you have to do is provide us with reasons for your downvotes.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
1-VOTE
King K.Rool
Sami
Ridley
Ashley

1/2 VOTE:
none

DOWN-VOTE:
Dixie kong
Dark Samus
ganondorf/Black Shadow

You need reasons for down votes more than up votes. And retract your Dark Samus down vote to spare you a 3 page argument. Oh right, I'm supposed to be nice. Well... you voted for Ridley, and that's good... @ OrangeSodaGuy OrangeSodaGuy Don't you see how nice I am lol? ( being sarcastic in case anyone takes this seriously )
I'm still waiting for some Masked Man ideas so YES to this.
You're not. And everyone has a Falcon/Ganondorf in their pocket amirite [yes]. A 3rd option would be pretty nice.

Falcon base (obviously)
- Jabs: (A) Falcon's, except jabs after GM replaced by rapid kicks.
(B) Gentleman, with knee more pronounced (like Ganon has a single strong attack).

- UTilt: keep, or use Falcon's 64 USmash / Mario's UTilt.

- DTilt: Falcon's KB/trajectory, move resebling Samus's ankle-swipe kick (forward hitbox only).

- FSmash: (A) Samus' FSmash punch or Melee Ganon's neutral B punch.
(B) Falcon's 64 kick.

- DSmash: Lucario's DSmash, but backhand attacks (Warlock Punch's glowing fists).

- USmash: vBrawl Ganon's up smash.

- B: Charging Bull (dark-effect [bull] falcon punch with a different character animation).

- uB: Darkness Upper [idk about that name lol] (Ganon's animation, Falcon's grab, dark explosion obviously).

- sB: Shadow Fist (dark Raptor Boost, change uppercut to angled-punch, 30-80º KB).

- dB: (I don't see anything wrong with Wiz-Foot recycle).

- FAir: We can always use more knees but Ganon's F-air seems more fitting. Idk what'd be best.

Leave the rest alone, add illusions on Dash Attack / Side-B, for extra hype.
(Double-space is only to make it easier to read).
Shadow Fist to fair FTW

The rest is low tier material honestly since I doubt he'll have the speed of Falcon combined with the power of Ganon. A mid ground beetween those would pretty much only work for side b to fair.
But what about my idea where he only gets damage at his maximum energy level thing? Was a pretty cool idea, no? ( being sarcastic again )
This thread needs WAY more RAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWKKK... Hawk.
Finally! Someone who speaks English!

Mean Green

Smash Lord
You need reasons for down votes more than up votes. And retract your Dark Samus down vote to spare you a 3 page argument. /

Shadow Fist to fair FTW

The rest is low tier material honestly since I doubt he'll have the speed of Falcon combined with the power of Ganon. A mid ground beetween those would pretty much only work for side b to fair.
Well I was just making random suggestions on how he could be Luigified if he was going to be added.

And why would people have a problem with down-voting Dark Samus? (Samus exists, textures exist)

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
And why would people have a problem with down-voting Dark Samus? (Samus exists, textures exist)
TL:dr version

they're two very different people in nature
she's an easy clone for a character who doesn't have one

despite these things, people downvoted her based on rather uninformed opinions.

Last edited:

Mean Green

Smash Lord
I've been to this thread quite a few times and just realized I never voted.

+ Vote
Skull Kid- (has some value, I read a very good post suggesting him cloned from Ness)
Ray- (the value and relatively little effort)
Paper Mario- (has potential, little effort)
Pichu- (little effort, has potential in PM, Mango, M2K)

- Vote
Toad- (looks pointless, I doubt his potential)

Want to +
Slippy- easy, can have martial art-inspired attack style / is rly lame
Tails- interesting potential / unpopular, too low in votes
Ridley- BaganSmashBros' work, has existing sound files / doesn't need votes
Lyndis- doesn't need votes
Black Shadow- unlikely, doesn't need votes
Isaac- not easy, doesn't need votes
Andy/Sami- ??
K. Rool, Goroh- interesting, original, have demand / not easy
Want to -
YLink- do not need
Waluigi- ugly, suddenly makes me realize how much of a sausage-fest the game already is
Krystal- suddenly makes me realize how much of a anthromorph/furry-fest the game already is

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
I've been to this thread quite a few times and just realized I never voted.

+ Vote
Skull Kid- (has some value, I read a very good post suggesting him cloned from Ness)
Ray- (the value and effort)
Paper Mario- (no reason.. never even played it.. just voting him up)
Pichu- (effort, demand [outside of competitive scene], has potential, http://youtu.be/R0wR3dzgTJI, felt accomplishing to beat Event 51 with Pichu)

- Vote
Toad- (looks pointless, I doubt his potential)

Want to +
Slippy- easy, can use a martial art-inspired attack style / is lame
Tails- interesting potential / does not belong, is in F-tier of votes
Ridley- BaganSmashBros' work, has existing sound files / doesn't need votes
Lyndis, Black Shadow- doesn't need votes, will probably not be very original
Isaac- not easy, doesn't need votes
Andy/Sami, K. Rool, Goroh- interesting, original, have demand / not easy
Want to -
YLink- do not need
Waluigi- ugly, suddenly makes me realize how much of a sausage-fest the game already is
Krystal- suddenly makes me realize how much of a anthromorph/furry-fest the game already is, might tie with ZSS for second-best booty in the game after Snake, but isn't even a human
You have one more upvote though, so I will try to help you out.

Ridley totally needs votes. What do you mean? And Lyn has a lot of moveset potential. Tl;dr she'd be a fast combo character with a projectile and some kind of Lucario style combo system. Issac isn't easy, but he's worth it. Psyenergy combine with sword has gotta be a recipe for great character. Andy/Sami are basically clones of Snake, so it should not be that hard.

Mean Green

Smash Lord
You have one more upvote though, so I will try to help you out.

Ridley totally needs votes. What do you mean? And Lyn has a lot of moveset potential. Tl;dr she'd be a fast combo character with a projectile and some kind of Lucario style combo system. Issac isn't easy, but he's worth it. Psyenergy combine with sword has gotta be a recipe for great character. Andy/Sami are basically clones of Snake, so it should not be that hard.
I believe Ridley has the best chance of being an added character. Lyn too, since she's clone material and top 5. But moreso Ridley because of the work that's done already.
What you said about Andy/Sami sounds good, if I voted again, it'd probably be toward one of them.
About Isaac, I feel like my votes need to take the PMDT into consideration. They went pretty far to give us Mewtwo, I kinda think it's going too far to ask for another character from scratch.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Hmm. I've already voted some time past but it was only two votes. Am I still allowed to use the other three or will people get violent at me?

Mean Green

Smash Lord
I'm stupid I guess.
So, let's see then.

+Vote
Ray MKIII
Paper Mario
Black Shadowdorf

Already voted for Ridley and Rool.
Nah I just happened to notice that while skimming it earlier. It's easy to overlook.
And wow, I'd just voted for Ray and Paper Mario too lol.

I thought it was just for the downvotes though. Did I skim the important bits?
I thought the same thing, I just added details on my +'s just in case.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
I'm stupid I guess.

+Vote
Black Shadowdorf
Seriously? Seriously? Like not Joker seriously, but seriously version of seriousness seriously? We literally LITERALLY just went over why Black Shadow should not be in. Guys I can't do this anymore. It seems this thread just attracts n00bs, so I'll just go to another thread where my temper isn't challenged every other goddamn post! *transforms into the Hulk and leaves*

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Seriously? Seriously? Like not Joker seriously, but seriously version of seriousness seriously? We literally LITERALLY just went over why Black Shadow should not be in. Guys I can't do this anymore. It seems this thread just attracts n00bs, so I'll just go to another thread where my temper isn't challenged every other goddamn post! *transforms into the Hulk and leaves*
Yeah,it must be frustrating,seeing as how many times you said it.But people can have their own opinions,and some just can't be rationalized.You have to just let it go.It dosen't concern you too much,so you have to just except it and respect it,however illogical said opinion may seem.

Last edited:

Rags

Smash Ace
My upvotes are primarily the ones I feel add a bit of variety and aren't too hard to put in. There IS the issue of C&D with some of these, but I don't think it would be hard to gain permission to use them.

Dark Samus
Isaac
Knuckles
Andy
Grey Fox

Half-votes are ones I thought were interesting, but the series already was pretty well represented
K rool
Ninten
Skull Kid
Ridley - I just preferred Dark Samus over ridley, sounded more interesting.0

downvotes are all ones I felt already had heavy representation of their respective series as whole. I't not a bad thing, but it could get boring.

Mario characters
Fire emblem Characters
Star Fox Characters

Mean Green

Smash Lord
Damn lol chill. Maybe he didn't read the conversation? This is a huge thread. Besides, he's obviously not the only one who voted for Black Shadow, he's top 5.

My upvotes are primarily the ones I feel add a bit of variety and aren't too hard to put in. There IS the issue of C&D with some of these, but I don't think it would be hard to gain permission to use them.

Dark Samus
Isaac
Knuckles
Andy
Grey Fox

Half-votes are ones I thought were interesting, but the series already was pretty well represented
K rool
Ninten
Skull Kid
Ridley - I just preferred Dark Samus over ridley, sounded more interesting.0

downvotes are all ones I felt already had heavy representation of their respective series as whole. I't not a bad thing, but it could get boring.

Mario characters
Fire emblem Characters
Star Fox Characters
You do realize Knuckles is 2nd-to-last on the vote list right? And Isaac is in first place by far.. I mean it's your votes, I'm just pointing that out.

Rags

Smash Ace
Damn lol chill. Maybe he didn't read the conversation? This is a huge thread. Besides, he's obviously not the only one who voted for Black Shadow, he's top 5.

You do realize Knuckles is 2nd-to-last on the vote list right? And Isaac is in first place by far.. I mean it's your votes, I'm just pointing that out.
I'm not gonna throw a fit either way, worst that can happen is nothing changes.

Rags

Smash Ace
What does make me wonder though is all the criticism the non nintendo characters get, though. Getting permissions isn't really that hard to do. It's long, but it's not hard by any means. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mean Green

Smash Lord
What does make me wonder though is all the criticism the non nintendo characters get, though. Getting permissions isn't really that hard to do. It's long, but it's not hard by any means. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't have anything against them. I think Tails and Grey Fox would be nice additions, tho I'm not a sonic fan whatsoever and I've never played Metal Gear. I just consider their potential and how they might add diversity. That and how much effort someone would require.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
1. It's a mod. Nobody's going to waste time going after permissions. Apparently they don't need them if they're in the game in some shape or form already.
2. Again, the idea of a sonic character being a sonic clone definetly copped too much flak here. I for one welcome our new fighting freak lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom