• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Funny idea, I would switch Roy and Marth's role. Marth just screams Japanese and Roy could pass more for the french role compared to Marth. ;)
I mean honestly the only reason Marth and Roy speak Japanese in Smash was because they were originally going to be Japan exclusive, so.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Oh yes that is true, those two are fine as just peaking Japanese, it makes it unique. Then you have bowser, DK and Diddy who make animal noise ... so we get so we get a small variety of language in smash!

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
What are you talking about? Marth is pretentious as ****.

"Monsieur, please stay at the tip of my blade, I would not have my finery soiled by your proximity. *grabs and throws* MONSIEUR I SAID KEEP YOUR DISTANCE."

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Roy should speak Spanish. You notice those flames that come from his blade? That's Latino Heat right there.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
So roys alternate costume should be Raidens disguise from Metal Gear Rising Reveangence? I'm down.
No, his alt will be Eddie Guerrero. The alt colors will be the shirts that either read "I'm your papi", "Lie, cheat, and steal." or "Viva la raza".

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
On the new 1.11 launcher menu (offline unhacked wii version of 3.5), under "addons", I've noticed the "Official PM WiFi Addon"

Can anyone explain this to me? I'm unsure of its purpose.

Edit: oops wrong thread

Last edited:

Chaoseater

Smash Rookie
And that was done by me alone with some help from one other modder (bug fixing mostly) as a hobby. In 2-3 weeks. With nothing but a copy of SSBB, BrawlBox, image editing program and a box of scraps! At least PM doesn't have to worry about Ridley being a DLC character somehow, so, he is completly free from SSB4 rule.
Damn, that was done in just 2-3 weeks?!? That is incredibly brilliant. When i first saw it i couldnt believe how awesome he looked! Just imagine if you were hired to create that Ridley model and moveset! You have serious talent Bagan.

Yeah, hopefully PM will implement him now, thats one great thing about the announcement.

Last edited:

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
"Why the sad face? I just thought I'd have a little fun with you. Oh, come now, do you really think you can beat me as I am now?"
Skull Kid

Screen-shot-2012-01-27-at-4.34.56-PM.png

One of the best things about this thread has always been reading people's character suggestions, but with the recent leak and 3.5 release, focus seems to have shifted elsewhere. To help rekindle our creativity, I thought I'd throw in one of my own moveset suggestions, and what better character to spark a good discussion than the one and only master of mischief, Skull Kid!

With the recent announcement of the Majora's Mask remake for 3DS, Skull Kid is locked in as the top candidate for a Zelda newcomer in Project M. Not only is he a popular character with amazing moveset potential, he is also a villain and one of the few Zelda characters to have the honour of appearing in multiple games for the series. Majora's Mask is also the only Zelda game to not have a playable character representative, making Skull Kid an incredibly justified choice.

The issue with Skull Kid is his moveset. The opening post lists Skull Kid as a 'C' for effort and states that he would have to be built from scratch. Considering how long it took for the Project M team to create Mewtwo, this makes me think that characters requiring that much work have a serious barrier to their inclusion.

This got me thinking about possible clone candidates for Skull Kid. There are not many possibilities when you consider both Skull Kid's model and moveset requirements, however I have come to the conclusion that the best option for a clone of Skull Kid would be Ness.

Now I know what you're thinking. "A Ness clone? Really?".

Well hear me out.

Ness and Skull Kid have similar models (they are both kids of the same size). So that gives us a viable model to work with. But what about moveset? Well interestingly the more you think about it, the more a moveset derived from Ness seems to fit. Here are some possible moveset similarities:

Dart-shooting Flute [Side B, Baseball Bat]

Side B.jpg
Skull Kid with his flute in OoT. When engaged in battle, Skull Kid uses his flute to shoot darts at Link. With some slight animation and property changes, Ness's PK Fire could be changed to Skull Kid shooting sleep inducing darts from his flute. The flute could also replace the baseball bat.

Mind Trick [Down B]

Down B (2).jpg

Remind you of an ability Ness has? Instead of absorbing damage, Skull Kid's version could deal damage in an area of effect around him. To keep the theme of a trickster-style moveset, it could also be made to paralyze opponents for a short duration.

Last edited:

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
His animations in FE6, his start prf weapon being the Rapier as well as his FTilt profess to a fencing background.
Using in-game canon, probably the last bit to support this is his father's fighting animations in FE7, which is much more blatantly fencing (at least until he gets promoted to having a horse...) So its entirely possible his son would have picked up some lessons from him.

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
Tael [Up B, Yoyo]

Up B.jpg
Skull Kid is always seen with his fairy Tael. The fairy could replace the energy ball in Ness's Up Special, however with a change in coding that makes Skull Kid warp to wherever the ball (fairy) ends up. Ness's yoyo animations could also simply be replaced with Skull Kid 'controlling' his fairy to attack around him.

Majora's Mischief [Nuetral B]

B.jpg

In Majora's Mask, Skull Kid uses his new-found power to transform Link into a Deku Scrub. Ness's PK Flash could be altered to a faster smaller version that transforms anyone it touches into a Deku Scrub.

Moon Meteor [Final Smash]

FS (2).jpg

This one is rather self explanatory. I mean, need I say more?

I haven't gone into detail regarding standard A attacks, however there are very few attacks Ness does that Skull Kid would look strange doing. In fact, so long as the baseball bat and yoyo are replaced with the flute and Tael as suggested above, all other moves would suit Skull Kid very well.

So there you have it. Skull Kid could be made with a unique style of play based around causing status changes to the opponent, all using an existing character as a clone, drastically reducing the amount of time and effort required.

Certainly it's not ideal, especially as we already have a derived Ness moveset in Lucas, and a moveset made from scratch would obviously be better. However if we are serious about getting Skull Kid into Project M, we may need to accept some sort of compromise, as the amount of effort required to make him is making his chances slim. Thinking outside the box is the best way to do that. Thanks for reading and I very much welcome your feedback and suggestions!

Last edited:

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Suddenly I want that, if Knuckles was brought into the game, he'd be kinda like Lil Mac is in Smash4, with the good ground and all the armor... except that would include a terrible air game, and considering one of Knuckle's cool features back in 3 was the whole glide business, I somehow feel it wouldn't come across quite right...

Still in general though, I would love someone like Lil Mac's gameplay design, although not necessarily Lil Mac himself.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
Suddenly I want that, if Knuckles was brought into the game, he'd be kinda like Lil Mac is in Smash4, with the good ground and all the armor... except that would include a terrible air game, and considering one of Knuckle's cool features back in 3 was the whole glide business, I somehow feel it wouldn't come across quite right...

Still in general though, I would love someone like Lil Mac's gameplay design, although not necessarily Lil Mac himself.
He did had a low jump in Sonic 3 (& Knuckles), so that with double jump that toggles gliding (like in Sonic Battle) ala Peach air jump could be interesting, it would also make sense if was somewhat Little Mac-ish, I mean he is fast, just not as fast as Sonic, with some useful aerials to prevent him from being 1:1 with Mac, he could also have a great horizontal recovery, but a poor vertical one, unless he had like a glide-activated wall cling instead of his usual wall climbing ability, though only in pillar-type stages, of which Green Hill Zone is one of! it's just too perfect!

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Wheelie into Dropkick. Instant new main. Even in games he isn't in. But may be in. Like a Schrodinger's character or something.

But yeah, I think so many archetypes are done well by P:M, but when I first read about Smash4 Lil Mac, I was like "So I play like a completely stubborn ass who'd get smacked in place just so I have a shot at hitting someone? Sign me up!"

Except I love P:M so much I don't feel the urge to buy a Wii:U just for Smash4, so... yeah. I don't quite have an alternative to sign up for...

Last edited:

kyleglor

Smash Cadet
I too would love to see skull kid in PM and looking at what you said @ Hagrid Hagrid I thought of something that could play towards his trickster side. If he did have a dart that he could shoot and had an effect to make your opponent want to move out of the way imediatetly to avoid being stuned or put to sleep or something else that would make them take immediate action to try to avoid the quick dart. Now what im suggesting is that he also had a taunt that begins with the same animation as the dart animation and if the dart could be charged so could this taunt but instead of shooting a dart he plays a note on the flute holds still for a second then laughs because his opponent fell for it. Just before he plays that note he could turn his head to the side for the proper position to play a note. If this was added it would be able to recyle the darts animation but just need the laugh. Releaseing the charged taunt as soon as your opponent dodges out of the way is what the player would want to do. But it would need some balance too so it could maybe drag out his laugh like he cracked him self up giving the opponent an oprotunity to strike. So the Skull Kid player would hope that the opponent fell for it and idealy backed up.

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
I know the PMDT wanted to avoid adding characters that had a high chance of being in Smash 4. When plans leaked for the new characters, and none of them were Ridley, I assumed he wasn't included simply because they had faith he would be DLC for Smash 4. Now that Sakurai has permanently deconfirmed Ridley (with horrible reasoning), can we hope to see Ridley in some future installment of PM?

kyleglor

Smash Cadet
I know the PMDT wanted to avoid adding characters that had a high chance of being in Smash 4. When plans leaked for the new characters, and none of them were Ridley, I assumed he wasn't included simply because they had faith he would be DLC for Smash 4. Now that Sakurai has permanently deconfirmed Ridley (with horrible reasoning), can we hope to see Ridley in some future installment of PM?
Sakurai didn't say that theres was no chance for other dlc than Mewtwo just that the there was no current plans for it and that he is unsure weither it would be worth the costs and time. So he pretty much took a netural stance leaving room to take either side in the future. And you have to remember that there can be other reasons that a character is chosen to be worked on other then just if they are in Smash 4. There is a chance but with any character they work on it all comes down to does this fit the Smash environment and does it feel natural.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
You might wanna read those leaks a bit more...

kyleglor

Smash Cadet
This is not the place to discuss leaks and anything found should be treated as a rumor, but like he said re read it

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The leak was remove this, remove that, remove this too, remove this, and remove this too, wasn't it? No maybe remove this i dunno in there.
Last one listed in the leak was added to find out who is the leaker, so, he isn't one of them. One that isn't there as you said was said to be worked on a bit, but nothing beyond that. Anyway, remove what i replaced with "remove this" and we really need to stop leak discussions.

I made a moveset for Ridley like this guy above made moveset for Skull Kid and it is within limits of Brawl modding. Damage and knockback isn't speciffied because...dunno, im lazy i guess...
Uses Lucario as a base because of Aura Storm, defensive collisions, command grab and chargable projectile. Model either from Brawl (but edited to fix proportions), Other M (edited to fix beak, resize wings, rig toes, etc) or hybrid of Super Metroid, Zero Mission, Other M and Brawl Ridley (but this will require completly custom model, so, previous 2 are easier to do).
Note: only tail blade is useful while tail itself is pretty much useless with its low knockback and damage.
Weight - 100 (same as Mario's)
Falling speed - 0.012 (a bit lower than Bowser's)
Jumps - 5
Jumps height - higher than Charizard's.
Running speed - a bit higher than Bowser's.
Walking speed - near Bowser's speed.
Air mobility - 0.07/high.
AAA jab - 2 claw swipes and then tail swing (Ridley rotates 360 degrees performing it, tail base has moderate knockback for this one instead of low knockback).
Side tilt - Ridley's tail swing attack from Other M, but done while standing.
Up tilt - Bowser's UAir with fire added to his mouth (sweetspot) and less startup.
Down tilt - tail swipe that hits twice.
Side Smash - spins his tail like in 2D games and then thrusts it forward.
Down Smash - spins 360 degrees with tail extended to knock away opponents from the front and behind him. Has long end lag.
Up Smash - wing smash. Can't properly describe it, but he crouches when doing that. Has long end lag.
UAir - same as Wolf's.
DAir - pogo tail seen in 2D games, same properties as PM Wario's, but he bounces up higher.
FAir - like side tilt, but in the air and takes less time.
NAir - Charizard's NAir, but faster at the end and tail blade has meteor hit properties.
BAir - thrusts his tail behind him, then swings it up and down.
Grab - uses his arms to grab. Has low start up and a bit of end lag.
Grab attack - bites opponent.
Forward Throw - basically Other M wall scrape grab, but on the ground instead of wall.
Up Throw - throws opponent up, then jumps very high at high speed, knocking opponent even higher up (but he still ends up above opponent), before going down at high speed, crushing him/her/it under his feet.
Back Throw - stabs opponent with his tail, then throws away behind him.
Down Throw - slams opponent into the ground and, after opponent bounces up, impales him/her, then roasts with firebreath before shooting a fireball at opponent, launching him/her.
Neutral B - charges up a giant fireball. Goes through most of projectiles, but still can be reflected and absorbed.
Side B - like Firebrand's Bom Voyage on the ground and like Firebrand's Light Demon Missile. Has nearly no start up and end lag in the air, but has both (mostly end lag) on the ground. Doesn't puts him in a helpless state, but he can't use specials that could be used as a recovery. If hits when in the air, he can reuse side B and up B again.
Down B - after 100+ frames of roaring, makes his skin reflective and harder, giving him light armor, but becomes slower. Will last for 5 seconds, using Down B again will remove it quickly. Timer starts counting only after he ends animation or gets hit. If he gets hit while roaring, he will still have reflective skin. Has some purple aura around his chest area and becomes a bit darker.
Up B - UMvC3 Firebrand's Strong Demon Missile (but goes higher than Firebrand). Before someone will say anything about something like vBrawl Pit's Up B, this one, along with ROB's Up B, was removed for balancing, so, it has to be something offensive. It won't hurt him too much since he has 5 jumps and Side B (or Up B) to recover. Doesn't puts him in a helpless state, but he can't use specials that could be used as a recovery.
Final Smash - Plasma Beam. vBrawl Lucario's Final Smash with high turning speed, high damage and knockback at the cost of low horizontal range. Once caught, opponent won't escape unless you will move beam away for some reasons.
Peoples here sometimes forget that there is so many limits on what can be done with character modding...

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Final Smash:
I suddenly need to look up the Sonic comics. Thanks for that.

IF he's in I want his hat and sunglasses from the OVA as an alt.
This. If they decide to give the Knuckin' not chucklin brawler from Angel Island a shot in PM, he really needs that sweet hat. That or some sort of traditional echidna garb from the comics.

It's a shame we can't get a Sonic that says the whole "Strange! Isn't it!?" line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom