• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Am I allowed to just add half-votes whenever I can remember characters I kinda want in the game but don't want to devote an entire vote to?

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Am I allowed to just add half-votes whenever I can remember characters I kinda want in the game but don't want to devote an entire vote to?
You certainly are, just make sure you want to stick with your votes when you post; it can get a bit confusing for those of us tallying when users keep changing their opinions.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Since Ridley is kaput for Sm4sh i really wouldn't mind seeing him in PM if they used a model and size based off of this.

And if they changed the eyes from that model to be something like these

With the neck and general structure beefed up kinda like this one but not as much.

I think we'd have a very good looking and aesthetically pleasing playable ridley. Being completely honest, i find that ridley has a whole lotta potential for a moveset. The thing that makes me not want to play him is how he looks. If the PMDT find a way around that which i'm sure they could, i'd be on board with Ridley.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Dear Lord... Leave for a few days to go overhype about Mewtwo, and Sami gets 50,000 upvotes (Not that I'm opposed).
Also, all the Pichu downvotes earlier on...

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
1/2-Sami.Why not looks like a fun character and adds another female to the roster
1/2- Skull kid. Another zelda rep who's not a clone

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So I've been AWOL for a few weeks thanks to [College Intensifying] and I come back to #SamiSQUAD marching on HQ.

@Marakatu @ Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan @ Pacack Pacack @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy @Fatmanonice

Takamaru bros/broettes, we need a new campaign. They're inspiring.
After casting my new vote, I was considering the idea of that back in the Murasame Castle Thread. Though that's something for us to discuss in that that thread since there are many people who are voting here soon.

Chaoseater

Smash Rookie
I think its so funny (and awesome) how there is so much renewed rallying going on after all the Smash 4 information.

Seriously, I really have this feeling that the PMDT was just waiting for whats basically left of the Smash 4 info before announcing anything. But now, I really feel theyre going to announce a new character soon, maybe Tuesday? (After that blurred 3.5 trailer on the finale of Art Tuesday)

Here's hoping! (;

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I think its so funny (and awesome) how there is so much renewed rallying going on after all the Smash 4 information.

Seriously, I really have this feeling that the PMDT was just waiting for whats basically left of the Smash 4 info before announcing anything. But now, I really feel theyre going to announce a new character soon, maybe Tuesday? (After that blurred 3.5 trailer on the finale of Art Tuesday)

Here's hoping! (;
The blurred 3.5 thing was just so that it could be linked to once it actually comes out...

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
The PMDT has about 2 months left of the time limit they set for themself before releasing 3.5 (Planned to release before the year ends). I think they might do something similar to the 3.0 reveal where they would show everything or potentially everything (from new costumes, mechanics, stage redesigns, potential new character/tease of new character, and exact release date) in a trailer-esque manner. I personally think this would happen mid November and the release date would be sometime in December. Here's to hoping :grin:

Darkevilprice995

Smash Cadet
The potential of any new char lies in how difficult it is to make. When you're on the other side of the fence, you really don't begrudge Sakurai's clone chars as much. Ridley has a weird bone structure, and in order to do him justice we would need to code a lot of complicated moves that don't really have analogues in the rest of the cast. We would need more animators, and/or, they need more available free time to work on this.

One of our lead animators, haloedhero, put over 700 hours of animating on mewtwo, BY HIMSELF. Collectively well over 1000 hours of work to get mewtwo up and running.

In short, don't expect any new characters. But don't write it off completely either. Were exploring a lot of possibilities.

~Vanguard_PM

Source thread
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2k5g7a/so_with_ridley_being_unplayable_in_sm4sh_sniff/

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
The potential of any new char lies in how difficult it is to make. When you're on the other side of the fence, you really don't begrudge Sakurai's clone chars as much. Ridley has a weird bone structure, and in order to do him justice we would need to code a lot of complicated moves that don't really have analogues in the rest of the cast. We would need more animators, and/or, they need more available free time to work on this.

One of our lead animators, haloedhero, put over 700 hours of animating on mewtwo, BY HIMSELF. Collectively well over 1000 hours of work to get mewtwo up and running.

In short, don't expect any new characters. But don't write it off completely either. Were exploring a lot of possibilities.

~Vanguard_PM

Source thread
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2k5g7a/so_with_ridley_being_unplayable_in_sm4sh_sniff/
Based PMDT being as ambiguous as possible. This is basically a reiteration of what we already know: new characters take a ton of hours to design and animate, and the possibility that there won't be any new characters. The only tidbit of new information was the little detail on the difficulty of Ridley (almost as if he was attempted :smirk:).

If the PMBR is around, I wonder if they can answer this question. I'm curious if during the beginning of the animating phase do the lead animators work on completely seperate projects before collaborating with each other or do they work on these projects individually until completion (like haloedhero).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Does anyone have updated results since the latest one posted (September 21st)?

So I've been AWOL for a few weeks thanks to [College Intensifying] and I come back to #SamiSQUAD marching on HQ.

@Marakatu @ Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan @ Pacack Pacack @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy @Fatmanonice

Takamaru bros/broettes, we need a new campaign. They're inspiring.
Thanks. I appreciate it. Advance Wars fans pretty much feel this is our last chance at a playable character for this series. Takamaru I think will make it for Smash 5. Unfortunately, I think he has hard competition in the form of Lyn (who is also katana-wielder).

the

and thus the CO power "Victory March" started making a whole lot more sense.
Hahahaha. That is a good one. Hopefully, this rally was indeed a Victory March. Here's hoping.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Since Ridley is kaput for Sm4sh i really wouldn't mind seeing him in PM if they used a model and size based off of this.

And if they changed the eyes from that model to be something like these

With the neck and general structure beefed up kinda like this one but not as much.

I think we'd have a very good looking and aesthetically pleasing playable ridley. Being completely honest, i find that ridley has a whole lotta potential for a moveset. The thing that makes me not want to play him is how he looks. If the PMDT find a way around that which i'm sure they could, i'd be on board with Ridley.
I guess it has been shown before, but Bagan is making stuff and stuff.
Outdated pictures, back of the head has been shortened.
Would this do?

EDIT: Oh right you can vote here. Very well.
+1 for Ridley. Let's show the world that the "impossible" is possible.
+1 for good 'ol K. Rool. DK deserves some love, being sorely underrepresented for one of the bigger franchises of Nintendo.

Last edited:

Darkevilprice995

Smash Cadet
+1 Isaac
Model is already in, one of my favorite series ever, lots of potential moves

+1 Skull Kid
Zelda could use one more rep, Halloween is soon which would be a perfect time for his announcement. One my favorite video game characters.

Honestly those are the only two characters I would ever want. Another fire emblem rep would be cool but seems excessive.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'll vote here if I can!
+1 for Ridley
+1 for K.Rool

And a single downvote for Isaac!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The one interesting thing about Project M requests, is that is basically a time warp to 10 years ago about what characters come up. Sure Ridley and Isaac are just as highly requested now as they were 10 years ago, but characters like Lyn, Skull Kid, Sami, Dark Samus, and Ray were a lot more prominent in requests back then than now. Its cool in a way.

The only oddballs are K. Rool and Saki who really did not become highly requested until like 2007.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The one interesting thing about Project M requests, is that is basically a time warp to 10 years ago about what characters come up. Sure Ridley and Isaac are just as highly requested now as they were 10 years ago, but characters like Lyn, Skull Kid, Sami, Dark Samus, and Ray were a lot more prominent in requests back then than now. Its cool in a way.

The only oddballs are K. Rool and Saki who really did not become highly requested until like 2007.
I wonder whatever happened to the Sin and Punishment franchise.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I wonder whatever happened to the Sin and Punishment franchise.
Sin & Punishment being internationally released and Saki's appearance as an Assist Trophy is what made people start to be interested in Saki starting in 2007. Saki's popularity as a prospective newcomer just gradually died down over time as people gradually forgot about the Virtual Console release for S&P. I think he became niche around around 2010.

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
I guess I had rough thoughts on a practical Young Link. He would not play to much the same as people are used to though, and its only a couple of changes. The rest of his moves I have not listed below would be essentially the same as Adult Link, but that's up to PMDT if they went a way similar to this.

Neutral B: Sling Shot, this would act similar Falcos Blaster as it would be shooting Deku Nuts (not the item).

Up B: Cucco, this would act similar to Snakes Cypher except it would be a Cucco instead.

Down B: Bombchu, that acts the same as the Hothead item except explodes on contact, and goes a shorter distance.

His grab would use the Goron Bracelet essentially turning his grab more like Donkey Kongs.

I also was thinking of the Hylian Shield being on his back with the same affect as the shield would while holding it. It would also give super armor on crouch sorta like Bowser.
I'd definitely like to see a Young Link like this, with a few moves changed completely. Definitely the grab - Link has been picking up things and lifting them over his head since A Link to the Past, and I'd love to see it in Smash. Some other ideas:

Up B: Hookshot, as a tether recovery. Other possibilities include the Tornado Rod from A Link Between Worlds, or maybe the Roc's Feather or Roc's Cape. Mostly, I'd just like it to be an actual item from one of his games.

I'd also like to see the spin attack moved to his forward smash, but only if it's changed long enough. (Perhaps behaving like his foward tilt otherwise.)

Not sure it's possible or practical, but if he could shoot a beam of energy with his sword attacks (maybe just forward tilt) when at 0%, that'd be a wonderful reference to the original and Link to the Past.

Boomerang/Bow/Bombs could all stay, but there are certainly tons of other options. The Pegasus Boots might be fun, giving Young Link an option a little bit like Ike's Quick Draw.

While he would be a third Link, he's arguably the most important of the three - the Melee trophy points out he's "often considered to be the true Link" - Link has been young (and non-Toon) more often than either of the others, including not only the first game but also the most recent.

He's still not my choice for the top five - just from Zelda I'd rather see Ganondorf/Black Shadow, or Ganon in his pig form, but the only semi-clone I'd rather see is Sami.

So for votes:
+1 Ganon (pig/beast form)
+1/2 Young Link

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I guess it has been shown before, but Bagan is making stuff and stuff.
Outdated pictures, back of the head has been shortened.
Would this do?
Hmmm...The work is of pretty good quality so there's that but I'm not so sure about this look. Ridley should be a threatening character yes but in the context of smash bros the most menacing looking character on the playable roster should be bowser. This iteration seems like it's trying to be too....realistic and frightening/demonic. Ridley should look somewhat like charizard in the sense that his default pose should have him with a stern look but at the same time i should be able to picture him smiling in my mind and it shouldn't look unnatural or too threatening. His claws are too large, they look like something out of a horror movie. The spikes coming off of his body look too dark (not color wise but relating to the mood). Just overall i feel that this character looks too genuinely evil to be a smash character.The work is good though so whoever the artist is, I'm sure they could pull of a change of style.

Ideally when someone comes out with a good ridley design for smash, he'll be the cute kind of scary you'd find in a comical spinoff series. You'll know if it's the right design when your able to picture him doing something like this.

Threateningly Adorable. That's what Smash bros bowser is and that's also how ridley should be.

To me, size isn't ridley's problem. It's trying to give him the right look. Once we do that the rest is easy.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Black Shadow isn't happening at this point so I made a change:
+1 King K. Rool
Reason: DK needs more representation and I think it should be him due to the diversity he could bring to the roster, he's a Krazy Krok with multi-personality disorder and that is something unique about him I like. (Also his model is within the game already.)

+1 Ridley
Reason: He isn't "too big" and it is the dumbest and the only argument going against him, which agitates me to high hell of how many people use this BS and believe it. (Ridley is also being worked on by a fan, and if he applies to the PMBR he can have Ridley done in no time, all he needs is a little assistance.)

+1 Dixie Kong
Reason: Donkey Kong again, needs more representation and has been shafted two games now. She has been in multiple DK games and has had the role of being the main character in a game of the DK series. She's a notable character, her model is in the game and she could be Luigi-fied from Diddy Kong. She's also a female rep and we could use more of those.

-1 Dark Samus
Reason: Dark Samus' design looks identical to Samus, and from what I've read in the description below her in the spoiler tab she'd end up a clone, I'm not a fan of clones and prefer original move-sets or to the very least hybrid clones (as in clones that don't just have aesthetic differences and stat changes, but a mixture of move-sets or a similar move with a different effect and/or behaves differently (Luigi's up special and neutral special in contrast to Mario's), Ex: Dixie Kong's Forward throw and up special (using her hair) functioning the same as Donkey Kong's, having Diddy's side special (Monkey Flip) and down special (Banana Toss),and a unique neutral special. Or a much more simpler example: Luigi in Melee. basically a move-set that combines the best of both worlds). I know Dark Samus could probably bring a diverse move-set that differs greatly from Samus but she'd most likely end up just a faster Samus as the description below her says, I just feel Ridley, her arch nemesis, also a constant re-occurring villain in the Metroid series and King K. Rool, a major DK villain and DK in need for a new rep after the DK series being ignored in Smash 4 is more deserving. Best of all, they'd be unique characters rather than a clone.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
If we had Ridley, I'd want him to be designed like Ridley-X / Neo Ridley from Fusion.

This, IMO, is the best Ridley design in the entire series. It's cruel and intimidating, whereas many of his designs just look anorexic and cranky. I haven't seen one 3D design for Ridley I've liked outside his Melee Intro design and Bagan's PSA, which are the other two designs I'd be okay with.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Hmmm...The work is of pretty good quality so there's that but I'm not so sure about this look. Ridley should be a threatening character yes but in the context of smash bros the most menacing looking character on the playable roster should be bowser. This iteration seems like it's trying to be too....realistic and frightening/demonic. Ridley should look somewhat like charizard in the sense that his default pose should have him with a stern look but at the same time i should be able to picture him smiling in my mind and it shouldn't look unnatural or too threatening. His claws are too large, they look like something out of a horror movie. The spikes coming off of his body look too dark (not color wise but relating to the mood). Just overall i feel that this character looks too genuinely evil to be a smash character.The work is good though so whoever the artist is, I'm sure they could pull of a change of style.
I don't really agree, Ridley should be at least equally "demonic", if not more. I mean, compare Bowser and Ridley. Bowser is from a cartoony game, and he himself is a cartoony villain. Ridley is from a much more serious series, and proportionally much more serious himself. Ridley made Samus into what she is now (a ruthless and powerful bounty hunter) by committing genocide on her colony, murdering both of her parents (and possibly consuming them too), and just failing to kill her while she was, if I recall correctly, five years old. He is pretty brutal in the mod too. Two or so grabs involve impaling the victim with his tail. I guess it does kind of solve the issue of Ridley supposedly not being frightening/imposing enough when not huge.

So yeah. But I'll relay the feedback either way.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I don't really agree, Ridley should be at least equally "demonic", if not more. I mean, compare Bowser and Ridley. Bowser is from a cartoony game, and he himself is a cartoony villain. Ridley is from a much more serious series, and proportionally much more serious himself. Ridley made Samus into what she is now (a ruthless and powerful bounty hunter) by committing genocide on her colony, murdering both of her parents (and possibly consuming them too), and just failing to kill her while she was, if I recall correctly, five years old. He is pretty brutal in the mod too. Two or so grabs involve impaling the victim with his tail. I guess it does kind of solve the issue of Ridley supposedly not being frightening/imposing enough when not huge.

So yeah. But I'll relay the feedback either way.
Shulk is one of the most serious characters I know in the Nintendo universe. What did they do to him?

He became a meme that day. Not even Ike fighting for his friends and being on roids could outweigh this trending statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom