• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Why is this?
For a few reasons. One, he is a popular request to be a playable character for the clone engine. Two, the PM team will only be using licensed games/series that appeared in Brawl to avoid any copyright/legal issues .... which Isaac was an assist trophy so that isn't an issue. Lastly, the team will not be using any new characters that would be/are released for the new smash team. So far, with Smash 3ds released and there is no Issac, which mostly likely even with DLC they wouldn't add him ... he is a smart candidate to release for Project M.

Darkevilprice995

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the answers, but I knew all of that. I definitely would not go as far to say that makes Isaac a given, though. The team has already said that their "strategy for 3.5 is really focused on tweaks." It seems just as likely if not more that they don't add any characters at all.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
.......DAAAAAG NABBIT! I wanted to resist this this, but I can't! Ninten NEEDS, NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDS that other PK Thunder custom move! Y'know, the one with the giant green bolt of explosive lightning? That one! I got the best ideas for that move!

First off, I hate the lack of recovery distance in that move, so I feel it should be extended some. The bolt, itself, is also a bit faster. While directly aiming the bolt at an enemy does serious explosive damage (almost as much as Ness' PM Flash), he does not do any damage when he directs it to himself, and rockets off.

You can't get to me, Shin F. Shin F. , you and your 4D-slip-a-port thingy! Flame shield: MY CLONE IDEAS ARE CREATIVE, AND RESOURCEFUL!!

...And this is what happens when I try to keep myself awake.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Young Link non-clone moveset:

Neutral-b: Bubble, Deku Link fires a bubble in any of eight directions. It can be charged: which increases the distance and duration of the bubble's effect. The effect slows ground, attack speed, and air speed of the victim for a very short time, it does no damage, flinching, or KB. If an opponent hits it then it will pop, with a windbox radiating outward from it.

Side-b: Rock and Roll, you roll as a Goron for a time, gaining speed and KB resistance the longer you go. Enemy attacks will result in the attacker being hit, but otherwise the special does no damage. It counts as running so you can grab, dash-attack, ect like any other run.

Up-b: Let's fly, chargable, at full charge Link uses a flower to jump high vertically before using Deku petal-propellers to fly. Horizontal recovery. Has a long wind-box that pushes foes downward.

Down-b: Electric Shield, Mikou charges a shield that blocks (any) projectiles and deals small accumulating damage but no flinching or KB to those touching it. Very little ending lag and it is not something you charge, however the longer you go without using it the longer it will last. It buffs the pummel's damage greatly.

Jab = Mikou punches and slices with his fins, the scissor slice can be angled

F-tilt = Shield bash: Link does a shield-bash that reflects projectiles a SHORT distance and pushes foes back at a semi-spike that deals 8%

D-tilt = Link kicks downward much like Luigi's d-tilt, weak KB that sends foes behind him

Up-tilt = Kicks upward, popping foes up

F-smash = Mikou's flip-kick jump attack

D-smash = Bomb mask, Link Shields and detonates his bomb mask, resulting in an explosion all around him that knocks foes away, kills but has a lot of ending lag

Up-smash = Goron Link jumps, at the apex of the jump spikes come out of his back, launching foes. When he lands there is a weak semi-spike hitbox. There is no KB or damage besides those of the two hitboxes: can Dacus

Nair = Mikou bursts electricity around him, damaging foes in a multi-hit move that is easy to SDI out of, but it knocks foes up, also has a small windbox sucking foes into it.

Fair = Swings the Great Fairy's Sword in front of him, high start-up but the tip meteors, kill move (much like Ike's fair)

Bair = Uses the Pictograph behind him, the flash does damage KB in a hitbox covering a 45 degree area, kill move at higher percents, can combo into itself at lower percents

Dair = Fires either a normal/fire/ice/light arrow diagonally downwards with a medium range. The normal arrow causes the opponent to flinch and does 2-3% depending on range, the Fire-arrow knocks foes upwards setting them on fire and deals 13%, the Ice-arrow is a very weak meteor that deals 6%, and the Light-arrow is a great semi-spike that deals 10%. The arrows have differing chances of being shot, with the normal arrow having a 35% chance, the fire 35%, the ice 20%, and the light 10%

Up-air = Link throws a bomb upwards a short distance, the bomb will explode when it hits anyone (cannot be caught) but detonates on it's own when it reaches the spot where Link originally threw it. It has vast kill potential at the apex of it's flight, but does no KB when it auto-detonates. The "killbox" sends foes forward at a 45 degree angle, which can combo into fair at lower percents

Grab = Link uses the hookshot to grab foes, however this does not double as a tether or a zair

F-throw = Link throws the opponent and then throws a Deku Nut at them, if it hits them then it kills very well

D-throw = Link blows up with the bomb-mask, dealing damage to himself and the foe.

B-throw = Link bottles them and tosses the bottle behind him, no KB because they will break out of the bottle at a set distance away and take damage

Up-throw = Link drop kicks the opponent behind him, can be used as a DI mixup with F-throw, will combo into bair at lower percents.

Pummel = Link wears the Gibdo Mask and hugs them (too scary?). If the Electric Shield is present then the pummel will deal 5% instead of 2%.

Dash attack: Deku Link does his spin, cancels off of ledges, is a multi-hit move, and can Dacus

Air dodge and side-step = Link turns invisible, you can see the Stone Mask on him at the beginning and end of the dodge

Crawl = Link wears the Mask of Scents as he army-crawls.

Skin = Link wears Circus Leader's mask, tears fly out of it while he runs.

Is this a clone? LOL

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Neutral-b: Bubble, Deku Link fires a bubble in any of eight directions. It can be charged: which increases the distance and duration of the bubble's effect. The effect slows ground, attack speed, and air speed of the victim for a very short time, it does no damage, flinching, or KB. If an opponent hits it then it will pop, with a windbox radiating outward from it.

Side-b: Rock and Roll, you roll as a Goron for a time, gaining speed and KB resistance the longer you go. Enemy attacks will result in the attacker being hit, but otherwise the special does no damage. It counts as running so you can grab, dash-attack, ect like any other run.

Up-b: Let's fly, chargable, at full charge Link uses a flower to jump high vertically before using Deku petal-propellers to fly. Horizontal recovery. Has a long wind-box that pushes foes downward.

Down-b: Electric Shield, Mikou charges a shield that blocks (any) projectiles and deals small accumulating damage but no flinching or KB to those touching it. Very little ending lag and it is not something you charge, however the longer you go without using it the longer it will last. It buffs the pummel's damage greatly.

F-tilt = Shield bash: Link does a shield-bash that reflects projectiles a SHORT distance and pushes foes back at a semi-spike that deals 8%

D-tilt = Link kicks downward much like Luigi's d-tilt, weak KB that sends foes behind him

D-smash = Bomb mask, Link Shields and detonates his bomb mask, resulting in an explosion all around him that knocks foes away, kills but has a lot of ending lag

Up-smash = Goron Link jumps, at the apex of the jump spikes come out of his back, launching foes. When he lands there is a weak semi-spike hitbox. There is no KB or damage besides those of the two hitboxes: can Dacus

Nair = Mikou bursts electricity around him, damaging foes in a multi-hit move that is easy to SDI out of, but it knocks foes up, also has a small windbox sucking foes into it.

Fair = Swings the Great Fairy's Sword in front of him, high start-up but the tip meteors, kill move (much like Ike's fair)

Bair = Uses the Pictograph behind him, the flash does damage KB in a hitbox covering a 45 degree area, kill move at higher percents, can combo into itself at lower percents

Dair = Fires either a normal/fire/ice/light arrow diagonally downwards with a medium range. The normal arrow causes the opponent to flinch and does 2-3% depending on range, the Fire-arrow knocks foes upwards setting them on fire and deals 13%, the Ice-arrow is a very weak meteor that deals 6%, and the Light-arrow is a great semi-spike that deals 10%. The arrows have differing chances of being shot, with the normal arrow having a 35% chance, the fire 35%, the ice 20%, and the light 10%

Up-air = Link throws a bomb upwards a short distance, the bomb will explode when it hits anyone (cannot be caught) but detonates on it's own when it reaches the spot where Link originally threw it. It has vast kill potential at the apex of it's flight, but does no KB when it auto-detonates. The "killbox" sends foes forward at a 45 degree angle, which can combo into fair at lower percents

Grab = Link uses the hookshot to grab foes, however this does not double as a tether or a zair

F-throw = Link throws the opponent and then throws a Deku Nut at them, if it hits them then it kills very well

D-throw = Link blows up with the bomb-mask, dealing damage to himself and the foe.

B-throw = Link bottles them and tosses the bottle behind him, no KB because they will break out of the bottle at a set distance away and take damage

Up-throw = Link drop kicks the opponent behind him, can be used as a DI mixup with F-throw, will combo into bair at lower percents.

Pummel = Link wears the Gibdo Mask and hugs them (too scary?). If the Electric Shield is present then the pummel will deal 5% instead of 2%.

Dash attack: Deku Link does his spin, cancels off of ledges, is a multi-hit move, and can Dacus

Air dodge and side-step = Link turns invisible, you can see the Stone Mask on him at the beginning and end of the dodge

Is this a clone? LOL
No, but it is impossible to do. Not only would they end up with model way too large in size to use (and they will either have to use n64 models or make custom models, all of them except for Young Link himself), but things like projectiles are impossible to add, only edit already existing projectiles and only if character has them. Projectiles and other kind of "articles" can't be copied and pasted from one character to another at least for now. I think that was one of the reasons Mewtwo has new F Throw and Kirby has Disable instead of Shadow Ball when he copies Mewtwo. Using fake projectiles could work, but i don't think they would do that because it has lower quality overall and may have some issues with it. And i think Links can't use their shields outside of standing animations. Maybe they still can use defensive collisions, but that is something i can't answer.
Peoples here should think about such stuff first before voting for characters or thinking about moveset. PMBR guys are not Sakurai and his crew - they can't do anything. They can only do what is possible with various limitations with resources they have. This also makes K.Rool and Ridley (with Brawl model at least) hard to make because K.Rool would need character used as a base to have a projectiles AND cape physics unless its Kaptain K.Rool or something like that and Ridley, unless animation quality is really low (and not worth the effort), will soon or later reach animations/motionetc file size limit before he will be finished enough to be added. Those limitations are one of the reasons why clones and semi-clones are more convenient/likely.
...Is this off-topic or not?

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I've missed 6 pages, eh?

*adjusts sunglasses*

Let's get back to business.
.......DAAAAAG NABBIT! I wanted to resist this this, but I can't! Ninten NEEDS, NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDS that other PK Thunder custom move! Y'know, the one with the giant green bolt of explosive lightning? That one! I got the best ideas for that move!

First off, I hate the lack of recovery distance in that move, so I feel it should be extended some. The bolt, itself, is also a bit faster. While directly aiming the bolt at an enemy does serious explosive damage (almost as much as Ness' PM Flash), he does not do any damage when he directs it to himself, and rockets off.

You can't get to me, Shin F. Shin F. , you and your 4D-slip-a-port thingy! Flame shield: MY CLONE IDEAS ARE CREATIVE, AND RESOURCEFUL!!

...And this is what happens when I try to keep myself awake.
Why would we pass up the opportunity to use Ninten's signature move, and an original idea, to use a variant of Ness's recovery? I don't ask as if to say your idea is stupid, but I'm legitimately wondering. What's so great about the move?

Is this a clone? LOL
It's not bad, but I can't see it being utilized. Personally, I would rather have Young Link inherit Tink's moves and Tink gain a move set that uses Wind Waker's unique weapons and abilities. (Grappling Hook tether we want you.)

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
I've missed 6 pages, eh?

*adjusts sunglasses*

Why would we pass up the opportunity to use Ninten's signature move, and an original idea, to use a variant of Ness's recovery? I don't ask as if to say your idea is stupid, but I'm legitimately wondering. What's so great about the move?

It's not bad, but I can't see it being utilized. Personally, I would rather have Young Link inherit Tink's moves and Tink gain a move set that uses Wind Waker's unique weapons and abilities. (Grappling Hook tether we want you.)
tether recoveries are already proving to be a balancing nightmare for the game, and you want more?

Shin F.

Smash Master
"Balancing nightmare"?

Have faith man. We're headed into 3.5 and if the Lucas blogpost was any indication tethers will be fine.
Yeah, and I mean, TL already has a tether. Giving him the Grappling Hook would just be a visual change. Hard to balance those cosmetic differences, I guess.

archedmaid

Smash Apprentice
I guess I had rough thoughts on a practical Young Link. He would not play to much the same as people are used to though, and its only a couple of changes. The rest of his moves I have not listed below would be essentially the same as Adult Link, but that's up to PMDT if they went a way similar to this.

Neutral B: Sling Shot, this would act similar Falcos Blaster as it would be shooting Deku Nuts (not the item).

Up B: Cucco, this would act similar to Snakes Cypher except it would be a Cucco instead.

Down B: Bombchu, that acts the same as the Hothead item except explodes on contact, and goes a shorter distance.

His grab would use the Goron Bracelet essentially turning his grab more like Donkey Kongs.

I also was thinking of the Hylian Shield being on his back with the same affect as the shield would while holding it. It would also give super armor on crouch sorta like Bowser.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I guess I had rough thoughts on a practical Young Link. He would not play to much the same as people are used to though, and its only a couple of changes. The rest of his moves I have not listed below would be essentially the same as Adult Link, but that's up to PMDT if they went a way similar to this.

Neutral B: Sling Shot, this would act similar Falcos Blaster as it would be shooting Deku Nuts (not the item).

Up B: Cucco, this would act similar to Snakes Cypher except it would be a Cucco instead.

Down B: Bombchu, that acts the same as the Hothead item except explodes on contact, and goes a shorter distance.

His grab would use the Goron Bracelet essentially turning his grab more like Donkey Kongs.

I also was thinking of the Hylian Shield being on his back with the same affect as the shield would while holding it. It would also give super armor on crouch sorta like Bowser.
I actually really like this.

Burns848

Smash Rookie
1 vote:
Ganondorf/Black Shadow
Lyn
Isaac
Saki
Skull Kid

1/2:
Ray
Samurai Goroh

Don't wanna take away people's votes.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace

I really like the ideas with the shield and the different grabs. I've never seen anyone suggest something like that before.

archedmaid

Smash Apprentice
It stays true to Youn Link, and I think it kind of balances its self out. You lose an attack on up B and grappling to an edge, but you would probably have a way better recovery on up B. You also lose long distance grabbing, but probably a stronger grab overall.

My other thoughts were that the Bomchu would throw like a crate. Holding over the head with a short throw distance making the short ground movemovement an interesting tricky tactic. Also if they didn't want to use the boomerang they could switch it for a short one spin. Similar to the original up B, but with one spin stronger in the front weaker in the back. It could be a charge up too.

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
You guys take this poll way to seriously. :p

But seriously, I think we could all benefit from being a bit more civil here.

I think people saying "it will never happen" is one of the biggest reasons people think it will never happen.

If we brush off and flame new ideas, nobody is going to want to expand on those ideas.

Our top votes have had several, several movesets made for them, and I think that's one of the contributing factors as to why some people vote for those characters.

That's why even though I really don't like the idea of Sami or any Advance Wars character being in Project M, I still discussed with someone (I can't remember who, I don't go on these boards very often anymore) about her moveset and what I would want to see if she did make it into the game. ( I remember saying I was going to post a moveset, but then I forgot to :p)

Sami is doing pretty good on the poll, but I think that's the kind of attitude we should have for everyone's ideas.

Now I'm not trying to say that I'm "above" flaming other people's ideas. I've done it before and I admit to doing so and apologize for it, but that's something I want to stop doing and want other people to stop doing going forward.

Unless a character is not eligible, I think we should see everyone's ideas as equally possible and probable as anyone else's.

I think we should all do our research and discuss what could work and what couldn't work (like technical limitations, balance issues, ect.) before saying that it won't happen.

A perfect example of this would be Ninten. Ninten, being from a Japan only game, isn't very well known in English speaking countries (which, from an educated guess, is most of Smashboards), and his design is similar to a character in Smash Bros (a series everyone on this site should be familiar with), Ness. Because of this, a lot of people shot him down on looks alone until people like @ Shin F. Shin F. started posting movesets for him, and now he has some decent support behind him.

This thread is for discussion, and we are discouraging that by shooting down new ideas without a second thought.

Feel free to call me a hypocrite, because in all honesty I am, but I think this is something we could all do to improve ourselves and this thread.

Exodo

Smash Ace
i just hope people dont get upset when no character is announced.. i bet all the alts are for the sake of containing the peoples hunger for a new character.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Didn't they at one point say they might never make another character?
Yes, but they also said they might make another one. It was just a hypothetical question in one of their blogposts. Knowing the PMDT and how much they love challenges (granted that those challenges are not a living Hell), I wouldn't worry about another character not coming unless they explicitly tell us they're not going to. On the same key, I wouldn't expect one for 3.5, though. Major updates (like adding a character) usually are bumped up to a new one's digit.

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but they also said they might make another one. It was just a hypothetical question in one of their blogposts. Knowing the PMDT and how much they love challenges (granted that those challenges are not a living Hell), I wouldn't worry about another character not coming unless they explicitly tell us they're not going to. On the same key, I wouldn't expect one for 3.5, though. Major updates (like adding a character) usually are bumped up to a new one's digit.
There's good reason to think 3.5 is going to have a new character. Maybe two!

1. The PMDT has went out of their way not to "step on the toes" of other Smash games. Release of Smash 3DS, when casual-fan interest in the series was at an all-time high? No trailer. Big House 4, with 50K people tuning in? No trailer. If 3.5 is all balancing adjustments and new costumes, I doubt they'd be this cautious.

2. 4.0 is going to be either the final release or the near-final release. Considering how much the PMDT cares about balancing- and considering how their own internal balancing team is hit-and-miss (see: Mewtwo)- I'm sure they'd want to get new characters out and tested in tournament play before a final release.

PREDICTION: Lyn and Knuckles in 3.5.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
4.0 is going to be either the final release or the near-final release.
yeaah nah. people will find things in the game that will need adjusting for years to come. small patches and bugfixes, things like that. and of course, everything any eventual new characters bring to the table will always send ripples throughout the game.

and the quote "We will not have 7 brand new characters in the next release of Project M, and we may not ever create 7 new characters. The option is there though, and perhaps one day, in the distant future, we might reach that." Is basic PR ambiguity 101. there's no real way to interpetate it besides "we really want to see what we are capable of with this, just give us some time".

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I've missed 6 pages, eh?

*adjusts sunglasses*

I made the moveset with Smash 4 in mind, however if Young Link was made in all Melee models maybe he could work? Also is it possible for the PMDT to copy an assist trophy: that might provide a projectile like I described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom