• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
It makes more sense to me to have him focus on devices more like those found in his games - blasters and explosives. ... Unless we wanna give him Krystal's staff...? Lol, that would be pretty funny, actually.
It's funny how krystal fans want her to use a weapon that she only used for about 5-10 minutes of gameplay before being trapped in...a crystal. Even with her staff it's already been proven possible for her to be a Fox clone with her staff's powers in her support thread. I think her staff would be a cool new melee item to use, like a Star Rod 2.0. But her as a newcomer? She honestly doesn't deserve it yet.

-1 vote for Krystal.
"You're not ready yet!"

Oh please. That was nothing compared to this.

I'm still not sure how he grew spikes on his feet. Or his socks. Seems legit.

Shuma

Smash Hero
As good of an idea as this is, I'm afraid that Ridley and Meta Ridley likely fall under the same copyright and are considered the same character.

A similar situation would be, if we for whatever reason needed to put Megaman in P:M, we would put in X instead of Classic. Several differences, but in the end, they're both Megaman and C&D material.
To be honest i wasn't even thinking about copyrights, i was more thinking that if nintendo happened to use Ridley and ProjectM used meta Ridley they wouldn't overlap. But now that i actually think about it, i suppose that if nintendo happened to use Ridley then ProjectM wouldn't use Ridley at all.

Earthbound012

Smash Rookie
Just because i love the earthbound series....also i dont like kyrstal as a character much
+1 Ninten
+1 Claus
-1 Krystal

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
"FUN IS INFINITE WITH SEGA CORPORATION"

And what they meant was that the fun was infinite for them.

Though I'm not much of a Sonic fan anymore, I would like to find the guy who decided that the guy who made the Alvin and the Chipmunks abortions needed to be in charge of a Sonic movie, and take a saw, and saw him. As pretty as Sonic's CG is, it would've been perfect for a full CG film.

But nope, gotta have the done-to-hell-and-back-live-action-cross-over-with-a-mediocre-human-lead-and-sonic-lives-with-him-and-makes-his-life-hell-until-he-helps-him-ask-his-girlfriend-to-marry-him-or-something-and-then-they-all-go-home story.
There will be an Andronic Generations long before Sega makes a good decision in regards to Sonic that doesn't involve Nintendo's cooperation.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
After watching the smash 4 footage i would really like to see Tom Nook as a playable character. Brb making moveset

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Like I said earlier, Sonic doomed itself starting with Sonic Adventure (yes, as early as that) simply by putting cartoonish Sonic-designed characters in a world where they coexist with realistically proportioned humans. It's one of the dumbest instances of conflicting art styles I've ever seen.

Why couldn't the only human just be Eggman? Or let there be VERY few humans in the Sonicverse, and all of them given Eggman's proportions and then let every human be evil? After all, Sonic games started out as preaching a "humans hurt wild animals" message, so it'd make perfect sense. To me, that is all Sega ever needed to do, although the newer games at least seem to be getting rid of the realistic humans (even if they suffer other problems).

...oh yeah, clone engine thread. Ridley would more than work no matter the dumb "he's too big" arguments.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I wonder what the time frame on these Clone Engine Characters is.

Are we going to be seeing the full roster within the next year or so? Fortunately, it's sounding like Smash 4 isn't really going to be putting a damper on the P:M fun, so I think it'll still continue to be the "primary" competitive Smash game for a while, meaning that it will, at least, stay relevant.

I'm just moderately worried that the team will lose interest and we won't see this thing reach its full potential.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I wonder what the time frame on these Clone Engine Characters is.

Are we going to be seeing the full roster within the next year or so? Fortunately, it's sounding like Smash 4 isn't really going to be putting a damper on the P:M fun, so I think it'll still continue to be the "primary" competitive Smash game for a while, meaning that it will, at least, stay relevant.

I'm just moderately worried that the team will lose interest and we won't see this thing reach its full potential.
I think they'll do what they can. I mean, they've seen it through so far and done so much - they even worked to bring us the Clone Engine when no one expected it of them. I don't know if some members the PMBR's passion has a limit.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Okay, so here's something. I know we've talked a lot about Sami (and I still prefer her to Andy) and what she could bring to a PM moveset, but what about Andy himself? He'd use his wrenches ... and that's about it, haha; unless I'm forgetting, I don't think he's been seriously talked about in-depth like other candidates have. Sami could be based from Snake, what could Andy bring to the table?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Okay, so here's something. I know we've talked a lot about Sami (and I still prefer her to Andy) and what she could bring to a PM moveset, but what about Andy himself? He'd use his wrenches ... and that's about it, haha; unless I'm forgetting, I don't think he's been seriously talked about in-depth like other candidates have. Sami could be based from Snake, what could Andy bring to the table?
I've never played Advance Wars, but I would like to say that Andy could really bring anything Sami could, and vice versa. Allies and characters from the same game have a history of borrowing each others' moves for Smash. So moveset potential isn't much of a reason to choose one over the other, I think. Still, though, I'd love to hear some Advance Wars fans weigh in some more on what they can do.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Andy: It's possible, but it really goes against his character. He's usually seen with a wrench, and his abilities focus on his background as a mechanic, and not so much as a soldier.
Yeah, I know... Maybe it could be a Ness case. I mean, not every move is Ness' in MOTHER 2, but his teammates'. Just an idea, I'm a big fan of Advance Wars series and I want a rep ;)

Smash 4: The final roster is pretty much known. See the Gematsu leak thread on the SSB4Wii forum.
Yes, I know. But, ya know, maybe there are a couple of newcomers this leak didn't know. Just look at Rosalina and Luma, the leak didn't mention it.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Like I said earlier, Sonic doomed itself starting with Sonic Adventure (yes, as early as that) simply by putting cartoonish Sonic-designed characters in a world where they coexist with realistically proportioned humans. It's one of the dumbest instances of conflicting art styles I've ever seen.

Why couldn't the only human just be Eggman? Or let there be VERY few humans in the Sonicverse, and all of them given Eggman's proportions and then let every human be evil? After all, Sonic games started out as preaching a "humans hurt wild animals" message, so it'd make perfect sense. To me, that is all Sega ever needed to do, although the newer games at least seem to be getting rid of the realistic humans (even if they suffer other problems).
I don't believe that was the case at all. If it were, the game wouldn't have been so successful. Yes, putting realistic humans in Sonic was stupid. But it was because of poor sense of direction that the series ended up failing itself. And just so you all know, Adventure goes by the Japanese story of Sonic. But what ultimately started to build the gravestone was Sonic Heroes. They had the proper foundation to make the series great. They just went about it in the wrongest way possible. You can even tell the series STILL has potential. Sega Japan is just too afraid to make decisions on what seems like the right steps to make the series better.

If you ask me, I wish Nintendo would just buy Sonic out already. They clearly have more respect for Sonic than Sega Japan does.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Nintendo even has more respect for Mega Man and maybe Pac-Man then from their respective companies. I'm glad modern Pac-Man isn't in the game. I hope he gets a Ms. Pac-Man alt as well, and it would barely take any work to make the alt. Namco can't pass up the chance of having the 1st female in a video game fight against Samus or Peach.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Given his focus on healing in Advance Wars, he could bring in a lot of moves. Special attacks that heal himself while hurting the enemy... Borrow Lucas' B where he charges himself up to power up his attacks, and also at the same time heal him (like Ivysaur).

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
I don't believe that was the case at all. If it were, the game wouldn't have been so successful. Yes, putting realistic humans in Sonic was stupid. But it was because of poor sense of direction that the series ended up failing itself. And just so you all know, Adventure goes by the Japanese story of Sonic. But what ultimately started to build the gravestone was Sonic Heroes. They had the proper foundation to make the series great. They just went about it in the wrongest way possible. You can even tell the series STILL has potential. Sega Japan is just too afraid to make decisions on what seems like the right steps to make the series better.

If you ask me, I wish Nintendo would just buy Sonic out already. They clearly have more respect for Sonic than Sega Japan does.
Is it any consolation that Sonic is not the only victim here? Lately it seems like most of my favorite series are suffering through an awful period now. Mega Man, Castlevania (although I warmed up to Lords of Shadow a bit after a while), Devil May Cry... And Phantasy Star Online, to a lesser extent, only because they won't bring the last few games to the west despite a vague promise to do so (and now it's full of microtransactions). And though it's not something I play much, I hear Resident Evil is just a shell of its former self.

I know this is just going more and more off-topic, but this is why I'm so glad to be Nintendo fan right now. I haven't really played any of Nintendo's games for years, but after I got married my wife started getting me back into them. It couldn't have happened at a better time. Fire Emblem Awakening, Nintendo Land, and Super Mario 3D World were awesome, and I was blown away by this year's E3. At least we still have one company we can count on.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I never really played Advance Wars, but Andy mainly just commands troops, right? It would make sense for him to summon different troops for his special attacks. Think Fat Princess from PSAS. I guess this wouldn't really work in PM as they have limitations. I'm just thinking of Smash in general.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
We're voting for other Sonic characters now?

+1 Vector the Crocodile

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482

...oh yeah, clone engine thread. Ridley would more than work no matter the dumb "he's too big" arguments.
Ok that's actually a load of ****.

I don't even have to read sol's post to tell you that.

Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were both very successful games and the only thing in them that hasn't aged well was the camera. Everything else in those games is still very good since they have clever stage design, a plethora of content, plots that were handled well, and endgame content that is worth revisiting. Especially in sonic adventure 2 since the Chao raising was better in that one.

The conflicting art styles had nothing to do with it's downfall. It had to do with the story plots that the future games started tackling in the future after Sonic Adventure 1 & 2

Sonic heroes managed to be just mediocre. It stayed off the radar, both positively and negatively.

The next two games that stayed in this style is what hurt Sonic's franchise, not the artstyle. They just happened to be in that same style.
Those games of course was Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06.

They also happened to draw a significant amount of attention due to the stories they tried to tackle, and how they failed miserably at it. Even while those failings were going on, all 3 sonic advance games and both Sonic Rush games did very well as games, Yet those get zero recognition at all, despite even being in that older play style in vein of the classic sonic games.

Last edited:

SmashBrosPM

Smash Cadet
I actually worked Into some modding project and people seems to not understand how It's hard to make Something that isn't in the game (mainly because of the animations).

That's Why I +1Voted 3 clones (Dixie Dong, Dark Samus and Black Shadow) and only 2 VERY POPULAR AND CORRECT CHARACTERS (Isaac and Ray).

So I think people should vote only for POTENTIAL CLONES... If So, I would add Toon Zelda (as a Zelda Clone) and Pichu (as Pikachu Clone of course!)

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were both very successful games and the only thing in them that hasn't aged well was the camera. Everything else in those games is still very good since they have clever stage design, a plethora of content, plots that were handled well, and endgame content that is worth revisiting. Especially in sonic adventure 2 since the Chao raising was better in that one.

The conflicting art styles had nothing to do with it's downfall. It had to do with the story plots that the future games started tackling in the future after Sonic Adventure 1 & 2

Sonic heroes managed to be just mediocre. It stayed off the radar, both positively and negatively.

The next two games that stayed in this style is what hurt Sonic's franchise, not the artstyle. They just happened to be in that same style.

They also happened to draw a significant amount of attention due to the stories they tried to tackle, and how they failed miserably at it. Even while those failings were going on, all 3 sonic advance games and both Sonic Rush games did very well as games, Yet those get zero recognition at all, despite even being in that older play style in vein of the classic sonic games.
That pretty much hits the nail on the head. I would have went as hardcore as Saito on that reply, but honestly I didn't want to spark an argument. Especially with Edge. As Saito was saying, the handheld Sonic series was indeed far more successful than the roundabout console games. In fact, that has been a reoccurring theme with Sonic games as of late too. And if you go and look up anything about the handheld version of Sonic Boom, you will hear that people are more excited for it than the console version. Why is that? The very same reason as Saito pointed out. The playstyle is in the same vein as the classic games.

You really begin to ask yourself.. Why are they successful games? That is because they rely on the form of gameplay that people grew up loving. Why is it that the console Sonic games fail? It is because they are not properly following the most successful form of Sonic in his console format. That being the Adventure series. And don't give me any of that bull**** that Sonic 06 tried and failed at it. Sonic 4 Episode 1, 2, and Metal all failed at being like the classic Sonic games and people STILL demand that ****. It isn't the style that got stale. It was the execution that got stale. Why Sega / Sonic Team hasn't realized this yet is beyond me. But this IS the problem. Not the voice acting, not the stories, not the characters, the execution is solely what has failed this series.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

Quick clarification: While I did say that Sonic Adventure doomed itself with the realistic humans, I didn't say it was a bad game, now, did I?

I was simply observing that bad decisions for Sonic started as early as Adventure. Said bad decision didn't completely ruin the game, but it did start a trend of making more and more bad decisions, arguably climaxing, as you and Sol both pointed out, with Heroes, which didn't really have a lot of real humans but signaled a turning point in quality, leading to the cringe-worthy-even-to-not-Sonic-fans Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06.

I liked Sol's reply better.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Quick clarification: While I did say that Sonic Adventure doomed itself with the realistic humans, I didn't say it was a bad game, now, did I?

I was simply observing that bad decisions for Sonic started as early as Adventure. Said bad decision didn't completely ruin the game, but it did start a trend of making more and more bad decisions, arguably climaxing, as you and Sol both pointed out, with Heroes, which didn't really have a lot of real humans but signaled a turning point in quality, leading to the cringe-worthy-even-to-not-Sonic-fans Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06.

Still. Realistic humans had nothing to do with the fault of the Sonic series. You can see that Unleashed corrected that mistake and still got bashed regardless. Why? Because of execution. I rest my case on this entire conversation. Thank you for giving me the chance to let go this frustration I have against SEGA / Sonic Team Japan. I've been waiting for a day in which I could let it all out.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Still. Realistic humans had nothing to do with the fault of the Sonic series. You can see that Unleashed corrected that mistake and still got bashed regardless. Why? Because of execution. I rest my case on this entire conversation. Thank you for giving me the chance to let go this frustration I have against SEGA / Sonic Team Japan. I've been waiting for a day in which I could let it all out.
Yeah I know, I just keep reiterating that while the realistic humans were not the worst design decision ever and didn't affect the gameplay's quality at all, it was nonetheless the very first desicion that arguably made Sonic fans go, "what the f*ck, Sega?" People always harp on Shadow and '06 more, and that's unquestionably more deserved, it's just some act like those were the games where Sega spontaneously did something dumb with Sonic when at least that one thing happened before.

Ahh, what am I arguing anyway? I'll just say I got discouraged with Sonic as early as Adventure because of that one thing, even if I thought it was fun otherwise. I didn't really touch Sonic games after Shadow the Hedgehog, though, because of a whole ton of reason but most notably that yeah, the gameplay was bad but it also shoved in your face the fact that a realistic human president coexisted in the same world where anthropomorphic hedgehogs, bees, foxes, etc. and it was all played completely straight, which was basically my one pet peeve of Adventure multiplied tenfold.

Nonetheless I'm gonna try out Colors if I get the chance, so just know I'm still willing to put gameplay first. I've heard good things about that game.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I actually worked Into some modding project and people seems to not understand how It's hard to make Something that isn't in the game (mainly because of the animations).

That's Why I +1Voted 3 clones (Dixie Dong, Dark Samus and Black Shadow) and only 2 VERY POPULAR AND CORRECT CHARACTERS (Isaac and Ray).

So I think people should vote only for POTENTIAL CLONES... If So, I would add Toon Zelda (as a Zelda Clone) and Pichu (as Pikachu Clone of course!)
People don't necessarily have to vote only for potential clones. We know who the potential clones are, and if the PMBR decides to go with those, then they'll just ignore the others. What people shouldn't be doing is voting down characters because they would be clones (which I've seen a few times recently)

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482

Lets assume for a second that we are in 2006, and that both Shadow the hedgehog, and Sonic 06 was successful.
You couldn't claim that sonic doomed itself by adding realistic humans because it was successful.

Sonic adventure 1 and 2 were both successful, and they did the human / sonic character meld properly. This could not of been the point where it doomed the series because it did it right. If Sonic games had continued to do it right, then that claim couldn't even exist.

That's a personal preference of yours and not so much a bad decision.

The only bad decisions they made was the stagnation of gameplay in Sonic heroes
The unnecessary maturity of themes in Shadow the Hedgehog (When sonic itself is a pretty carefree game) (Although SA2 managed to tackle some deeper themes, while remaining carefree and working out beautifully).
The decision to not have enough people test the flow of the game, along with glitches.
The decision to not consider how people might feel about the story, and to see whether or not it worked properly.

Both Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic 06, could be salvaged from what they are right now, and the humans existing isn't a problem. The problems lie elsewhere within the gameplay, and the stories.

Yeah I know, I just keep reiterating that while the realistic humans were not the worst design decision ever and didn't affect the gameplay's quality at all, it was nonetheless the very first desicion that arguably made Sonic fans go, "what the f*ck, Sega?" People always harp on Shadow and '06 more, and that's unquestionably more deserved, it's just some act like those were the games where Sega spontaneously did something dumb with Sonic when at least that one thing happened before.
Can I get some sources on that.

I mean, I could see why some people are like "I don't feel humans are proper for the sonic world" but I need to see other people saying this.

I've played most of the older, and quite a few of the newer sonic games, and I just felt like the transition to Sonic adventure worked fine. It felt like a new sonic world, essentially a reboot, but not an unwelcome one like Sonic Boom.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Lets assume for a second that we are in 2006, and that both Shadow the hedgehog, and Sonic 06 was successful.
You couldn't claim that sonic doomed itself by adding realistic humans because it was successful.

Sonic adventure 1 and 2 were both successful, and they did the human / sonic character meld properly. This could not of been the point where it doomed the series because it did it right. If Sonic games had continued to do it right, then that claim couldn't even exist.

That's a personal preference of yours and not so much a bad decision.
Fine, it was my personal preference, whatever.

Ahh, what am I arguing anyway? I'll just say I got discouraged with Sonic as early as Adventure because of that one thing, even if I thought it was fun otherwise. I didn't really touch Sonic games after Shadow the Hedgehog, though, because of a whole ton of reason but most notably that yeah, the gameplay was bad but it also shoved in your face the fact that a realistic human president coexisted in the same world where anthropomorphic hedgehogs, bees, foxes, etc. and it was all played completely straight, which was basically my one pet peeve of Adventure multiplied tenfold.
As you can see I already admitted that.

Can I get some sources on that.

I mean, I could see why some people are like "I don't feel humans are proper for the sonic world" but I need to see other people saying this.

I've played most of the older, and quite a few of the newer sonic games, and I just felt like the transition to Sonic adventure worked fine. It felt like a new sonic world, essentially a reboot, but not an unwelcome one like Sonic Boom.
Do you honestly need sources for this. though? No, it was not the end-all be-all worst decision ever for Sonic but damn it looks awkward.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Do you honestly need sources for this. though? No, it was not the end-all be-all worst decision ever for Sonic but damn it looks awkward.
Yes I do actually.

Since I never heard of that complaint, nor did I actually feel that way, this is literally my first time hearing of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom