• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I wanted to mention that there was a pretty good Saki hack floating around that the team could take inspiration from, as you said you weren't sure what to do with him. It was still in early stages though. However, I can't seem to find the video showcasing it.

Anyway, I'd like to submit my votes if you're still counting them. All upvotes of course. Not really expecting most of these guys to get in, but I should at least show my support.

Saki- I really love this character, and the games he comes from. I was really disappointed to see that he'll be an AT again in Sm4sh. Project M is my last hope for him. He has a unique weapon, which could lead to an interesting moveset. He's also represent a new series, which is always nice.

Isaac- Just a big fan of the character, and his psynergy grants him potential to be a unique and interesting character.

Pichu- The little guys gets too much hate. People say he sucks because of the self damage mechanic, but he had some things going for him such as his speed. I played as him a ton in Melee, and would love to play him in PM. I also like the idea of a lethal joke character.

Tom Nook- I love Villager, but I would have preferred that Nook got into Sm4sh over him. PM is probably his only shot at being in Smash. His moveset could take inspiration from Villager's, though technical limitations will keep it from being exactly the same. I'd love to see what the PM team can come up with anyway.

I'm not sure if I can vote for Sylux, but he'd make a good Samus clone. He's basically the most popular of the hunters too.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
So I had a random thought come to mind a bit earlier today. Is it just me or does anyone else believe that if a character that isn't formally in the main Smash 4 roster gets picked for the Project M clone character positions, said character might get a massive chance at joining in Smash 5? The visibility boost could be pretty dramatic.
I wouldn't be surprised if at least one clone engine character is revamped/reworked by sak's team for smash5 provided the character was in a recent game or is extremely relevant to a series already represented (although i'm not sure what characters fit the second category that aren't already in the game at this point). I wouldn't expect to see the entire moveset or visual style being preserved but i think he'll provide hints and cues here and there which suggest that he pulled inspiration of the character from Project M. After all Skyloft was originally PM's and Nintendo has unofficially/indirectly stated that they are intrigued by Project M and will continue to watch it as it grows and develops. In fact i might be wrong or maybe i just have an unpopular opinion, but i'd go as far as saying Nintendo/Sakurai is more interested in PM than Melee or Brawl.

Also @ Solbliminal Solbliminal @ E EdgeTheLucas @ Anti Guy Anti Guy @Shin F or @ JCOnyx JCOnyx . If it hasn't already been done, I'd like to nominate @ UltimateWario UltimateWario 's Ridley moveset as front page material. Also any other good ridley moveset that is different from his but still well thought out i think would be a good thing to link just to show people the potential a character has. Everyone has their own idea of what each character should be like and if someone makes a decision based on one person's perspective of a character i think that's moreso an uninformed opinion rather than a biased one.

More movesets would probably define a character better than one really well done moveset. Just a suggestion so less people downvote characters like pichu because of a previous incarnation of the character that doesn't sit well with them. Supposing you have a classic moveset, a revamped moveset and a completely new moveset, i think a lot of the shroud and controversy surrounding a character could be cleared up because the 3 iterations create a "theoretical sketch" of the character in one's head which gives them a more refined representation of a character by plotting/mapping together the commonalities and differences in these separate ideas. Just a suggestion however you all are doing fine but i really think this would help alleviate some of the poor opinions which are formed from bias but by no fault of their own doing.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I... I missed a Mother discussion.

Damn you, life. Damn you.

While we are forcefully shoved into the all-too-familiar position of having to talk about Ninten, let's talk about Porkey.

I seem to be in a very small minority that prefers Porkey/Pokey to either Ninten or Masked Man.

From my perspective, Porkey is a much better representative than Ninten for the Mother series. Although Ninten is technically the first protagonist of the series, the comparison to Marth seems a bit streched to me. Yes, Marth and Ninten both started their series and yes, they were both originally Japan-exclusives, the difference is that by the time Smash came out, Mother had begun to be localized and Fire Emblem had not. In this regard, Ness still has the privilege of being the Mother series star while Lyn (having debuted AFTER Smash had started to represent Fire Emblem) is less important than Marth.

Additionally, Porkey provides Smash with an uncommon archetype: the villain. While people around here might have played the Mother series, let's not kid ourselves. They are far less played than most other series Smah represents. Porkey is a great way to prove that Mother has more depth that simply including another speechless, chibi protagonist.

I'll get this out of the way, I LOVE Ninten. I think he's awesome. I also am realistic in how much he looks like Ness. Every picture, sprite, or model I've seen of Ninten looks like Ness with a pallet-swapped shirt and a differently-turned hat. That's just a color-change! In the heat of a battle, would Ninten look different enough from Ness? Remember, Smash is turning into more and more of a spectator sport and including a look-a-like of Ness as a fully fledged other character might be difficult for certain people to entertain/keep up with.

I don't have as much against The Masked Man as I do against Ninten, but I still think Porkey is a better choice than him. The Masked Man is simply less important and is just more of the same.

The Masked Man is the main villain of Mother 3, but that's it. Pokey/Porkey is in Earthbound AND Mother 3. He is the only MAIN character (yes, I know there are cameos of other less important people) to be in more than one Mother game except for Giygas. MM simply isn't the most representative choice. As a consolation to MM fanatics, however, I think Lucas with red hair or Lucas' alt. costume work quite nicely.

I've heard arguments for both characters that say Ninten and MM can support radically different movesets than Ness and Lucas respectively making them interesting choices and not boring clones. Newsflash, folks: everyone can have a radically different moveset. My argument is that Porkey can have an even MORE radical moveset because he isn't taking from the same bank of moves that the four PSI kids are. In my mind, he is a Wario clone who has had certain moves replaced with mechanical gadgets.

As for a proper moveset for Porkey, I wish I could provide one. That simply isn't my cup of tea.
Hate to break it to you, but you're sideways brother. Porkey is just the main villain of Mother 3, not Masked Man. Porky is the game's antagonist, with Masked Man acting as a high ranking underling. In truth, saying Claus is just a villain and nothing more is ludicrous. While I love Porky, you could take just about any villain in the history of video games, slide them into Porky's role, and replace the pig puns. The game would lack a reference to EB, and a spectacular character, but all in all the plot wouldn't be affected. At all. He's just a villain, after all. Masked Man brought depth to the story that Porky can only dream of. The character, as well as his actions are the reason why Mother 3 is such an emotional game. Without the loss of Claus, and the intense Final Battle leading to his revelations and eventual death, Mother 3 would be a good game. But with it, it's a great one. Porky's wrinkly ass didn't bring any emotion to the table. He was creepy sure, but Claus was the key to that game's emotion. And you think that he's just the villain and nothing more? Get your head out of the gutter.

Also, when people talk about Ninten and Masked Man's move sets in the way you describe, it's because they would be easy to clone and make different from their bases. Let me know when Porky has a base that allows him to easily differ from the original moveset.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be surprised if at least one clone engine character is revamped/reworked by sak's team for smash5 provided the character was in a recent game or is extremely relevant to a series already represented (although i'm not sure what characters fit the second category that aren't already in the game at this point). I wouldn't expect to see the entire moveset or visual style being preserved but i think he'll provide hints and cues here and there which suggest that he pulled inspiration of the character from Project M. After all Skyloft was originally PM's and Nintendo has unofficially/indirectly stated that they are intrigued by Project M and will continue to watch it as it grows and develops. In fact i might be wrong or maybe i just have an unpopular opinion, but i'd go as far as saying Nintendo/Sakurai is more interested in PM than Melee or Brawl.

Also @ Solbliminal Solbliminal @ E EdgeTheLucas @ Anti Guy Anti Guy @Shin F or @ JCOnyx JCOnyx . If it hasn't already been done, I'd like to nominate @ UltimateWario UltimateWario 's Ridley moveset as front page material. Also any other good ridley moveset that is different from his but still well thought out i think would be a good thing to link just to show people the potential a character has. Everyone has their own idea of what each character should be like and if someone makes a decision based on one person's perspective of a character i think that's moreso an uninformed opinion rather than a biased one.

More movesets would probably define a character better than one really well done moveset. Just a suggestion so less people downvote characters like pichu because of a previous incarnation of the character that doesn't sit well with them. Supposing you have a classic moveset, a revamped moveset and a completely new moveset, i think a lot of the shroud and controversy surrounding a character could be cleared up because the 3 iterations create a "theoretical sketch" of the character in one's head which gives them a more refined representation of a character by plotting/mapping together the commonalities and differences in these separate ideas. Just a suggestion however you all are doing fine but i really think this would help alleviate some of the poor opinions which are formed from bias but by no fault of their own doing.
I'm flattered that by tagging me you think I'm part of the team that organizes the OP and counts the votes, but I'm not. In fact you forgot Friesnchip, though that's understandable considering he hasn't been around in a while.

Also Anti Guy doesn't count votes anymore, he passed the job over to the others.

Nonetheless I agree that Ultimate Wario's Ridley moveset seems like front page material.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

Yeah, that's exactly what I see happening regarding the clone engine character visibility. The only difference between your thoughts and mine are that I wouldn't count out characters that come from non-established franchises, especially if the community receives them in a strong manner. As for your latter suggestion, it'd certainly lead to a lot more informed posts on the goals of the PMBR's character game play design as well as ease up on the garbage posting regarding character potentials. I'd also love to do a few write ups on the character potential and theoretical move sets, especially for Lip & Takamaru.

The hardest part about that though is getting it all into the OP without clutter or running over character limits I'd assume.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Yes, you can vote for Sylux.
Cool. So count a vote for Sylux from me. Like I said, he could be a clone of Samus, but he also has some tools that could set him apart. For example, his shock coil has the ability to drain the health from his opponents and add to his own. He also has his trip bombs, which could be used as an interesting tool to control the stage. My idea of how they work is that Sylux would be able to plant two or three bombs bombs. If those bombs are close enough together then they'd be linked by a trip wire. Activating the bombs from the trip wire may cause less damage than actually touching the bombs themselves. However, I'm not sure if this is even possible with what the PM team can do. I'm just putting the idea out there.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm flattered that by tagging me you think I'm part of the team that organizes the OP and counts the votes, but I'm not. In fact you forgot Friesnchip, though that's understandable considering he hasn't been around in a while.

Also Anti Guy doesn't count votes anymore, he passed the job over to the others.

Nonetheless I agree that Ultimate Wario's Ridley moveset seems like front page material.
He is actually sick. He made sure to let us know in a separate discussion.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Oh, what a bummer. I hope he turns out okay, I hate knowing some people don't feel well.
He should be okay soon. But on a lighter subject, a clone engine character to discuss! Now we've discussed how much people hate the idea of having another Sonic character... But THIS is a Sonic character we all should be able to agree on.
ANDRONIC
THE DROID HOG

So much better than Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Eggman combined!!!! Seriously, look at that swag. Such potential too. He can be like Sonic's Pichu.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
He should be okay soon. But on a lighter subject, a clone engine character to discuss! Now we've discussed how much people hate the idea of having another Sonic character... But THIS is a Sonic character we all should be able to agree on.
ANDRONIC
THE DROID HOG

So much better than Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Eggman combined!!!! Seriously, look at that swag. Such potential too. He can be like Sonic's Pichu.
Don't get me wrong - he's pretty cool and all - but I'd much rather have this as a Sonic character.

Moveset potential too hype, plus it'd be our first Rule 63 character.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Don't get me wrong - he's pretty cool and all - but I'd much rather have this as a Sonic character.

Moveset potential too hype, plus it'd be our first Rule 63 character.
That is pretty hype, but Andronic is our best bet. He is a fan favorite and is just much more iconic.

SUPPORT ANDRONIC!!

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Was Geno already eliminated by the way guys? I didn't read the 400 pages.
You don't need to read 400 pages to know that, just one post at the very beginning that explains that if a character is not in Brawl, they are eliminated automatically. So yes, Geno has never had a chance.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Are new potential clone engine characters still up for discussion? I'm preparing something for later and just wanted to know new characters are still up to debate besides the ones in the OP.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
As long as they existed in Brawl in some shape or form, then yes, you can discuss any potential character. The ones in the OP have just received a good amount of votes already to make it in, more characters could show up as well.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
As long as they existed in Brawl in some shape or form, then yes, you can discuss any potential character. The ones in the OP have just received a good amount of votes already to make it in, more characters could show up as well.
I see. The character that I wanted to discuss was a Starfox character, and that character is Slippy Toad.

Value - B - One of the main 4 and original Starfox members, Multiple appearances, invented everything you use from the SF games and brings up the Boss Health, Has potential to have a variety of moves different from Falco and Wolf if a clone or not. Deserves the spot for being able to break the Starfox clone streak while being an important character from SF, he's Fox's Luigi or Fox's Tails Prower.

Effort - B - Animations can be cloned off one of the Links or mix of the two if possible. Already has a model made.

Background - Slippy Toad is the mechanical genius of the Starfox team. He is arguably the 2nd most important member of the team due to building every weapon and vehicle the team uses to fight against Star Wolf, Andross and his army. Slippy is also a childhood friend to the the main protagonist of the series. Without the mechanic the team they couldn't fight their enemies on their own as Mercenaries. Fox and Falco probably wouldn't have a projectile if Slippy never invented the Blaster. But due to Slippy being a terrible pilot and an arguably annoying voice, his importance has been overshadowed over the years and has become an unlikable character due to this.

Moveset - His move set would be better suited as a clone from Link/Toon Link (Link's weight and Toon Link's attacks) rather than a Starfox character. Since Slippy is a mechanic who has made a variety of weapons from the series they can actually fit and replace Link/Toon Link's tools. Master Sword: Screw Driver (a screw driver the size of one of Pit's blades), Boomerang: Wrench, Bombs: Grenades, Arrows: Sniper Rifle or Homing Launcher, Hylian/Hero's Shield: Reflector, Zair: A futuristic version of it...Slippy invents his own, Up B: Booster Pack from Starfox Assault.

Here's my non cloned move set for Slippy if needed:
http://smashboards.com/threads/reboot-or-no-reboot-the-slippy-toad-support-thread.328528/

Pros
-Major SF character from the original team
-Make use of a variety of weapons and tools he uses/built from the SF games
-Can be cloned from Link or Toon Link to make use of weapons/tools and not be another fox clone
-Has a model already made that was used for an April Fools joke from the PM team
-Has decent support from fans
-Appears in Brawl as a codec for the SF characters, Snake, and has a trophy

Cons
-Starfox Character #4
-Seen as an unlikable/hated character from the series (same with Krystal)
-Could take some of work with his model, sounds and animations
-Decent chance of making it into Wii U & 3DS (either him or Krystal)

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I see. The character that I wanted to discuss was a Starfox character, and that character is Slippy Toad.

Value - A - One of the main 4 and original Starfox members, Multiple appearances, invented everything you use from the SF games and brings up the Boss Health, Has potential to have a variety of moves different from Falco and Wolf if a clone or not. Deserves the spot for being able to break the Starfox clone streak while being an important character from SF, he's Fox's Luigi or Fox's Tails Prower.

Effort - A - Animations can be cloned off one of the Links or mix of the two if possible. Already has a model made.

Background - Slippy Toad is the mechanical genius of the Starfox team. He is arguably the 2nd most important member of the team due to building every weapon and vehicle the team uses to fight against Star Wolf, Andross and his army. Slippy is also a childhood friend to the the main protagonist of the series. Without the mechanic the team they couldn't fight their enemies on their own as Mercenaries. Fox and Falco would probably wouldn't have a projectile if Slippy never invented the Blaster. But due to Slippy being a terrible pilot and an arguably annoying voice, his importance has been overshadowed over the years and has become an unlikable character due to this.

Moveset - His move set would be better suited as a clone from Link/Toon Link (Link's weight and Toon Link's attacks) rather than a Starfox character. Since Slippy is a mechanic who has made a variety of weapons from the series they can actually fit and replace Link/Toon Link's tools. Master Sword: Screw Driver (a screw driver the size of one of Pit's blades), Boomerang: Wrench, Bombs: Grenades, Arrows: Sniper Rifle or Homing Launcher, Hylian/Hero's Shield: Reflector, Zair: A futuristic version of it...Slippy invents his own, Up B: Booster Pack from Starfox Assault.

Here's my non cloned move set for Slippy if needed:
http://smashboards.com/threads/reboot-or-no-reboot-the-slippy-toad-support-thread.328528/

Pros
-Major SF character from the original team
-Make use of a variety of weapons and tools he uses/built from the SF games
-Can be cloned from Link or Toon Link to make use of weapons/tools and not be another fox clone
-Has a model already made that was used for an April Fools joke from the PM team
-Has decent support from fans
-Appears in Brawl as a codec for the SF characters, Snake, and has a trophy

Cons
-Starfox Character #4
-Seen as an unlikable/hated character from the series (same with Krystal)
-Could take some of work with his model, sounds and animations
-Decent chance of making it into Wii U & 3DS (either him or Krystal)
It's an interesting idea to have him cloned off of Link, one we've not seen before. When he was discussed previously, he was seen as either another Spacey (Ewww), a Samus clone (YAY), or a Snake clone (Nice).

I would like to say that even though he's a somewhat important Star Fox character, though, it's a very big con to a lot of people that Star Fox is already represented fairly, and many see him as just another team mate of Fox. That does bring his value a bit (he's certainly not an 'A'), but I think if done well he could be a good character. I'd still most like to see him as a Samus clone, though, if he was chosen.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
It's an interesting idea to have him cloned off of Link, one we've not seen before. When he was discussed previously, he was seen as either another Spacey (Ewww), a Samus clone (YAY), or a Snake clone (Nice).

I would like to say that even though he's a somewhat important Star Fox character, though, it's a very big con to a lot of people that Star Fox is already represented fairly, and many see him as just another team mate of Fox. That does bring his value a bit (he's certainly not an 'A'), but I think if done well he could be a good character. I'd still most like to see him as a Samus clone, though, if he was chosen.
I originally had him as a B, an A does seem like I'm pushing it. I've never heard of Slippy as a Samus clone but that sounds very interesting. Link and Samus are the main characters I use in Project M and after I made Slippy's move set I was thinking how I can make him a clone while still using the weapons from Starfox. Snake was the easier choice but Slippy fighting like Snake doesn't seem right without Slippy's charm. Link had more equipment that I could substitute and make a comparison between old weapons and new technology.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Kinda miffed that one of Ridley's "Cons" in the OP is "Some people still think he's too big".

That's like a con for medicine being that some people still believe that sacrificing sheep to some pagan god will cure diseases. We shouldn't suffer for stupid people's dumb opinions.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
Kinda miffed that one of Ridley's "Cons" in the OP is "Some people still think he's too big".

That's like a con for medicine being that some people still believe that sacrificing sheep to some pagan god will cure diseases. We shouldn't suffer for stupid people's dumb opinions.
Regardless, it IS their opinion.
It doesn't matter if it is right or wrong.
What does matter is that it is there, and no amount of logic or reasoning can talk sense into some people.
It's stupid, it's unfair, but unfortunately, that is just the way the cookie crumbles.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I originally had him as a B, an A does seem like I'm pushing it. I've never heard of Slippy as a Samus clone but that sounds very interesting. Link and Samus are the main characters I use in Project M and after I made Slippy's move set I was thinking how I can make him a clone while still using the weapons from Starfox. Snake was the easier choice but Slippy fighting like Snake doesn't seem right without Slippy's charm. Link had more equipment that I could substitute and make a comparison between old weapons and new technology.
B is the absolute best he ranks for the sheer fact that Star Fox is very well repped already and he's often considered annoying even within the fanbase.

I was thinking if he was a Clone of Samus, his standard special would be a blaster that can only fire after a full charge, but is much more powerful (kind of like Samus' Charge Beam, but unable to fire until full). His side be could be triple torpedoes based on her missiles, and his down b could be sort of like the motion sensor bombs, but producing an electrical field rather than an explosion. Then I had his Up-B as functioning like Sonic's Spring Jump, but with boosters on his feet instead of the spring. For his normals, I had him using standard melee punches and kicks as well as his tongue, although I like the idea of him using a wrench. (Though I'd still prefer Andy as a fighter using a wrench for his normals.)

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Certain things don't look right to people in certain sizes. Things being oversized usually doesn't conflict too much since olimar and kirby both work well.

Things being shrunk doesn't come down to it just being able to be shrunk. It comes down to them being shrunk and looking right. The majority of people seeing it from that perspective see Ridley being shrunk down as looking awkward.

If Mario had a similar visual style to Metroid, I bet this same argument would be said about bowser. Far as I'm concerned, Ridley looks even more vicious than Giga bowser, who arguably doesn't belong in smash as a playable character either.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
To be honest, I think Slippy is one of the most versatile clone engine candidates. There are just so many characters that he could reliably be cloned off of. Just listing out the ones already brought up:

Fox
Falco
Wolf
Link
Tink
Samus
Snake

And I even think he could be based off of others as well. The Mario Bros have a lot of tools that could be adjusted to fit Slippy, and even the psi kids could make decent choices as well...

I just envisioned Slippy with a Ness UpB. Every time he uses it on himself, he says, "Ahh, I'm hit!" Then when he grabs the ledge, "I thought I was a goner!" Actual quotes people, god Slippy is so annoying xD

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
To be honest, I think Slippy is one of the most versatile clone engine candidates. There are just so many characters that he could reliably be cloned off of. Just listing out the ones already brought up:

Fox
Falco
Wolf
Link
Tink
Samus
Snake

And I even think he could be based off of others as well. The Mario Bros have a lot of tools that could be adjusted to fit Slippy, and even the psi kids could make decent choices as well...

I just envisioned Slippy with a Ness UpB. Every time he uses it on himself, he says, "Ahh, I'm hit!" Then when he grabs the ledge, "I thought I was a goner!" Actual quotes people, god Slippy is so annoying xD
When a Slippy Main's opponent goes in for a tech chase.

HELP THEY'RE ON MY TAIL!

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
B is the absolute best he ranks for the sheer fact that Star Fox is very well repped already and he's often considered annoying even within the fanbase.

I was thinking if he was a Clone of Samus, his standard special would be a blaster that can only fire after a full charge, but is much more powerful (kind of like Samus' Charge Beam, but unable to fire until full). His side be could be triple torpedoes based on her missiles, and his down b could be sort of like the motion sensor bombs, but producing an electrical field rather than an explosion. Then I had his Up-B as functioning like Sonic's Spring Jump, but with boosters on his feet instead of the spring. For his normals, I had him using standard melee punches and kicks as well as his tongue, although I like the idea of him using a wrench. (Though I'd still prefer Andy as a fighter using a wrench for his normals.)
I'd say no more than C. He's not one of the most important ones in Star Fox, and on top of that, the series is overrepped in Smash Bros. Personally I'd rank him a D.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

Fox
Falco
Wolf
Link
Tink
Samus
Snake

As much as I I'd like a new SF character to have a unique moveset to them, I still admire the fact that, at the very least, cloning Slippy off of any of those characters seems to make more sense than how Ganondorf turned out. Being a mechanic, we can assume Slippy uses a variety of tools like those characters do so it can be forgiven. Literally all Ganondorf has in common with Captain Falcon is that they're both muscular men.

So a 1/2 vote for Slippy.

Edit: I need to break my habit of mentioning Ganondorf like that, it causes intense and awkward silences.

Nonetheless I like Slippy so my half vote stands.

Last edited:

Shuma

Smash Hero
No Black Knight huh, i would've thought that he'd be a pretty simple Ike clone. He isn't that popular i guess. Well i see here that i have 5 pro votes, infinite downvotes and infinite half votes? Well here goes.

Ridley
Dark Samus
Black Shadow/Ganondorf
Hector
Masked Man

Lynn
Saki Amamiya
Sami

Tails, Knuckles and Shadow. I honestly don't think time should even be wasted on minor or side characters that don't even belong to Nintendo, not to mention that third parties are supposed to be special, Sonic fits perfectly because of numerous reasons of which i'm sure everyone is aware, like the whole Nintendo vs Sega thing of the early 90s.

Silly me, i forgot to mention that i think if Ridley is made by the Project M team, then perhaps Meta Ridley would be a better pick, not only is it less likely that nintendo would use meta ridley if he was ever playable, but meta ridley probably has a better potential for a unique moveset. Just a random thought.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'd say no more than C. He's not one of the most important ones in Star Fox, and on top of that, the series is overrepped in Smash Bros. Personally I'd rank him a D.
Slippy is actually more important than Falco, he's just not as popular. Falco only serves as the best pilot of the team and even so that skill is never shown (and probably never mentioned in game) because his AI in game does as much work as Peppy and Slippy, even when being saved by the player. Falco is even obnoxious and he leaves the team whenever he wants. As far as non clone move sets Slippy brings more to the table than Falco. Falco is only a flashier Fox and will most likely be that way in Smash 4. Apparently Wolf was supposed to be in Melee before Falco but he looked so similar to Fox he might as well as been an extra color palette of Fox. Fox and Falco have a similar build and look different so it was the next option for a Fox clone.

Here's a source about melee's development to back up Wolf in Melee:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=37915502&postcount=7506

Cloning Slippy off of any of those characters seems to make more sense than how Ganondorf turned out. Being a mechanic, we can assume Slippy uses a variety of tools like those characters do so it can be forgiven. Literally all Ganondorf has in common with Captain Falcon is that they're both muscular men.
I'm still disappointed no one besides the Smash Bros Crusade team made an accurate move set on Ganondorf. The funny thing is that Ganondorf would've been a better Mario clone than a Captain Falcon clone because Mario has a projectile and a reflecting cape move. Two specials that made OOT Ganondorf's boss fight memorable. Add Peach's floating mechanic while able to use his projectile and maybe change some of his smash moves and aerials to single hit sword moves and he's good.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Silly me, i forgot to mention that i think if Ridley is made by the Project M team, then perhaps Meta Ridley would be a better pick, not only is it less likely that nintendo would use meta ridley if he was ever playable, but meta ridley probably has a better potential for a unique moveset. Just a random thought.
As good of an idea as this is, I'm afraid that Ridley and Meta Ridley likely fall under the same copyright and are considered the same character.

A similar situation would be, if we for whatever reason needed to put Megaman in P:M, we would put in X instead of Classic. Several differences, but in the end, they're both Megaman and C&D material.

Kerenthar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Radagast_DACC
... We shouldn't suffer for stupid people's dumb opinions.
(Why some people are too violent?)

7 reasons I am against Ridley to be in P:M:
  1. It is not a character concept to be originally in the game. Instead, it is just participating as a boss in Boss Battles and a Game Trophy.
  2. It is not a character concept I will want to try just a few hours and then left it forever.
  3. His size affects drastically the gameplay of all rest of the roster because will not be the same fight against a standard size range and fight against that massive thing.
  4. How do you give to him a balanced moveset that can live together with the rest of characters? Imagine a simple claw attack: That could inflict huge damage but low knockback for balancing purposes, or a ridiculously tiny amount of damage, considering the big pterodactyl he is.
  5. Stages just cannot support a creative gameplay with that thing because he will be strictly restricted to both sides edges and not too much movement options. And adjusting stages sizes would make it an overworked character and make him a floating character is even more restrictive.
  6. Shrunk versions does not work for me because we already have Bowser and Charizard covering two possible movesets of similar concepts. PMBR could be very creative, I admit that, but for a clone of Charizard, just download a texture.
  7. With all those cons, 700 hours of development would be a waste of time for developers.
So yes, "-1" for me to Ridley. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom