• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's exactly what I see happening regarding the clone engine character visibility. The only difference between your thoughts and mine are that I wouldn't count out characters that come from non-established franchises, especially if the community receives them in a strong manner. As for your latter suggestion, it'd certainly lead to a lot more informed posts on the goals of the PMBR's character game play design as well as ease up on the garbage posting regarding character potentials. I'd also love to do a few write ups on the character potential and theoretical move sets, especially for Lip & Takamaru.

The hardest part about that though is getting it all into the OP without clutter or running over character limits I'd assume.
Well as far as i know there isn't a linked lip or takamaru moveset so feel free to write one up and post it here. If noone else critiques it i'll give it an honest opinion as best i can. Regarding clutter, it doesn't have to be that difficult really. It's as simple as putting the moveset creators name with a link attached to the moveset. That way they can attach 4 or 5 without the clutter. But right now i'm not sure there are enough movesets to warrant something like this and i don't know if anyone would be onboard but the idea is there i suppose.:)

Now onto official business
+1/2 Andronic
+1/2 Shadow63

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It's the best thing to ever happen to sonic. Sonic is saved!

1/2 vote for andronic please.
Well as far as i know there isn't a linked lip or takamaru moveset so feel free to write one up and post it here. If noone else critiques it i'll give it an honest opinion as best i can. Regarding clutter, it doesn't have to be that difficult really. It's as simple as putting the moveset creators name with a link attached to the moveset. That way they can attach 4 or 5 without the clutter. But right now i'm not sure there are enough movesets to warrant something like this and i don't know if anyone would be onboard but the idea is there i suppose.:)

Now onto official business
+1/2 Andronic
+1/2 Shadow63
Hot damn! He is at 1 whole point!! That is already better than any of the other Sanics!!!

+1/2 for Andronic

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Certain things don't look right to people in certain sizes. Things being oversized usually doesn't conflict too much since olimar and kirby both work well.

Things being shrunk doesn't come down to it just being able to be shrunk. It comes down to them being shrunk and looking right. The majority of people seeing it from that perspective see Ridley being shrunk down as looking awkward.

If Mario had a similar visual style to Metroid, I bet this same argument would be said about bowser. Far as I'm concerned, Ridley looks even more vicious than Giga bowser, who arguably doesn't belong in smash as a playable character either.
My main problem with Ridley is SCALE rather than size. Since Samus is already in the game, Ridley would have to be the same size compared to her to look okay. The reason Olimar and Kirby look okay is because there's nothing else from their franchises in Smash that hasn't been scaled to match them. 7' Ridley next to 6'4" Samus would just look weird since Ridley has been around 10-ish feet and (way) above.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
(Why some people are too violent?)

7 reasons I am against Ridley to be in P:M:
  1. It is not a character concept to be originally in the game. Instead, it is just participating as a boss in Boss Battles and a Game Trophy.
  2. It is not a character concept I will want to try just a few hours and then left it forever.
  3. His size affects drastically the gameplay of all rest of the roster because will not be the same fight against a standard size range and fight against that massive thing.
  4. How do you give to him a balanced moveset that can live together with the rest of characters? Imagine a simple claw attack: That could inflict huge damage but low knockback for balancing purposes, or a ridiculously tiny amount of damage, considering the big pterodactyl he is.
  5. Stages just cannot support a creative gameplay with that thing because he will be strictly restricted to both sides edges and not too much movement options. And adjusting stages sizes would make it an overworked character and make him a floating character is even more restrictive.
  6. Shrunk versions does not work for me because we already have Bowser and Charizard covering two possible movesets of similar concepts. PMBR could be very creative, I admit that, but for a clone of Charizard, just download a texture.
  7. With all those cons, 700 hours of development would be a waste of time for developers.
So yes, "-1" for me to Ridley. Thanks.
Don't take me pointing out things from your bulletpoints as going against directly you, Kerenthar, but these are perfect examples of why I cannot take those against Ridley seriously, be in in P:M or Smash overall. As UltimateWario showed us with his post here, Ridley is more than capable of having a workable playstyle that doesn't clash heavily with other characters (such as the arguments of Bowser and Charizard listed above).

I'm going to point out some issues with the logic behind a few of these reasons, as it will help us overall. Feel free to retort if you'd like, as I'm just saying what I can see and what I feel is wrong with the "Against Ridley" side. We shall quote them as we need them.
It is not a character concept to be originally in the game. Instead, it is just participating as a boss in Boss Battles and a Game Trophy.
If we're directly talking about Brawl here, we can go with the same argument for nearly all of the other character suggestions in the main page. King K. Rool, for example, was "just a Game Trophy", while Waluigi is "An Assist Trophy and has no chance", Toad on the same wavelength shouldn't be playable as "He's Peach's B move". As well, you have others such as Ray Mk III whom has a trophy, has an Assist Trophy, an onslaught of potential thanks to the franchise of which he descends from (Custom Robo).

Sure, Ridley may usually be shown as the villain, but how often do you get to play as the actual Wii Fit Trainer? Spoilers, you don't play as her ever. Nor do you play AS Palutena. Smash is the first game, a crossover "party-fighter" as named by some, to allow the chance to see characters shine. Heck, you can't even PLAY As Captain Falcon outside of his racer in the F-Zero franchise, and so they winged up a moveset for him AND Fox to fit them into Smash. It's entirely possible.
It is not a character concept I will want to try just a few hours and then left it forever.
The humorous part about this is, not a lot of the community diverts from their standard couple of characters after "trying [a new one] just a few hours and then left [them] forever". It's part of the beauty of Smash, and any old fighter/competitive game in general. You find the character that fits your playstyle, you play them, that's that. Not everyone will pick the same character, which is fine as the world isn't simply in Black and White. There's a lot of Grey positions between the two.

If you don't want to try him, then don't try him. it's really that simple. If you're happy with your character, why divert?
His size affects drastically the gameplay of all rest of the roster because will not be the same fight against a standard size range and fight against that massive thing.

How do you give to him a balanced moveset that can live together with the rest of characters? Imagine a simple claw attack: That could inflict huge damage but low knockback for balancing purposes, or a ridiculously tiny amount of damage, considering the big pterodactyl he is.

Stages just cannot support a creative gameplay with that thing because he will be strictly restricted to both sides edges and not too much movement options. And adjusting stages sizes would make it an overworked character and make him a floating character is even more restrictive.
Aaaand in comes the stereotypical "he's too big" stuff that people try to argue with. Time and time again, it is brought up, and time and time again there is an impasse because no one in Smash is 100% canonically sized. They're just proportional to make more sense and fit in together. I mean, if this game was 100% canon in every single way humanly possible, and the canon used was Bowser from 3D World, he'd be three-or-four times taller than Mario (Who is apparently 5'1 "or so canonically), which would pit him anywhere from 15 to 20 feet Tall MINIMUM. That isn't taking into account the inches, Bowser's stance (which is generally upright) and so on.

On top of this we have the other end of the spectrum, with Olimar being the shortest as 2cm tall. That's barely an inch tall. That would make like, the size of Mario's eye. If you wanted to throw friggin' Game and Watch in there, he's pixelated, so he's likely just as small, if not smaller. Canon is completely unviable in the world of Smash. Smash is its own canon, and makes its own rules.

Samus is canonically 6'3 (or 5'5 depending on what game you go off of). Ridley is usually twice as tall as her, if 2.2 times at most. This puts him smaller than Bowser's 3D World canon size. Likewise, Link could be guesstimated at 5'4, which is the average height of a Japanese man, or of a medieval knight back in the Crusade era. Ganondorf has usually been twice as tall as Link as well. This puts him at roughly 10'8. The tallest a human has grown to-date is roughly 9 feet something, and the blood cannot circulate through the body properly, which would have crippled Ganondorf.

As for Ridley's power and effectiveness, we can once again look at "canon". For example, Ganondorf canonically cannot be killed. He just comes back, thanks to the Triforce of Power and the curse placed upon the Land of Hyrule. Another example would be Sonic, who would be so fast that he'd SD off of the stage, no matter where he was, simply because he's TOO FAST. He has to, according to Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing canon, get behind the wheel of a car to give everyone a "fair chance". This implies he's easily faster than any of these cars, and that's before he becomes Super Sonic. Oh, also, Sonic would instant-die if he fell into any swimming-depth water, as Sonic cannot swim in pretty much all his games, and if there's no "floor" programmed under the water, he'll just die and lose a life.

I can't even formulate a coherent response in regards to the stage issue. If his size WAS an issue, scaling is not out of the ques-
Shrunk versions does not work for me because we already have Bowser and Charizard covering two possible movesets of similar concepts. PMBR could be very creative, I admit that, but for a clone of Charizard, just download a texture.
... Am I reading this right?

I'm sorry, but that's like saying that the following are too similar to one another and that they should be removed from the games:
  • Luigi (of Mario)
  • Ganondorf (of Captain Falcon)
  • Toon Link (of Link)
  • Falco AND Wolf (of Fox)
This would remove FIVE characters from the game, as they are "too similar" to another character. However, while they may share traits, they play drastically different. One cannot look at a character and go "He'd do the exact same thing as ___" or "His concept is too similar to ___'s". Toon Link and Link share almost, if not all, the same moves. However, the attributes to the character and the moves change them drastically. Both Links cannot play the exact same, and have completely different playstyles.

Some characters may have the same style of play, but pull it off much differently. Fox and Falco played very similarly in Melee, but neither of them are identical in every way possible. These biased opinions are not justified.

With all those cons, 700 hours of development would be a waste of time for developers.
The developers put time and effort into the creations they think will survive the community's large audience, and then they adjust accordingly to their beliefs, and the reviews of the audience. If they believe the community would support Ridley, they will find a way to make Ridley work that feels fresh, but flows well with the rest of P:M. That's part of why they've succeeded so well, is how they get everything to work together nearly seemlessly with every update. They may be the slowest release build-updating of the Brawl mods I've seen to date, but the dev builds they have prove they're constantly working out the kinks in everything.

I remember watching the dev build number on their older site change at least 20 times in the span o half a day. They dedicate everything into this, and I applaud them and commend them on their fantastic dedication and determination to please the public as much as they have so far.

The potential a character can have lies solely in the mind. If you can find a way to make them fight against the other fighters in even matches, then that character I feel stands a chance. I may not support Shadow, Tails and Knuckles (as shown in my voting post), but they clearly have the movepool potential to fight, and THAT is the important part.

To sum it up in a nice little line here:
Canon size and power don't mean anything in Smash Bros., and as long as the character has a way to fight or a way can be built from the imagination (like Falcon and Fox back from 64), they can stand a chance. Whether or not you WANT them in is your own personal, and possibly biased for some, opinion and I will respect that. But focusing on one aspect of a character (such as one's height) and driving the knife in and spreading it as a primary factor they cannot stand a chance is a completely childish way to act.

Kerenthar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Radagast_DACC
Bla, bla, bla...
You have some good points, but you are arguing in base of things I never wrote: I never will be against new characters because "I never played them before", I don't think this matter is all about black n white, I never state that smash characters must be canonically sized (and Bowser for different Mario games has lots of sizes such as Mario RPG so doesn't count), I never state either PMBR must take away similar characters (So no, you don't read it right: I say "two different movesets of similar concepts", no "two similar characters"; the concept is "like-lizard monstrous characters" and they have two different movesets and they are fine; the moveset you quote to me feels to much a clone of Charizard, which in that case this Gray Fox could be a more interesting character to include, in my opinion).

So all your post quoting me you just rhetorically turn my statements into other things I never wrote... so once again: I you feel good with Ridley, just vote for it, why you guys cannot live without trying to convince other people how 'dumb' do you think they are just because don't share your preferences. Remember that is only five characters to add AND probably PMBR wiil not fill all five slots.

And ultimately, I suspect developers are not considering community support only but the whole thing instead: they pretend P:M to become a entirely new game-mod and will take in consideration other variables such as technical viability and so on

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
(Why some people are too violent?)

7 reasons I am against Ridley to be in P:M:
  1. It is not a character concept to be originally in the game. Instead, it is just participating as a boss in Boss Battles and a Game Trophy.
  2. It is not a character concept I will want to try just a few hours and then left it forever.
  3. His size affects drastically the gameplay of all rest of the roster because will not be the same fight against a standard size range and fight against that massive thing.
  4. How do you give to him a balanced moveset that can live together with the rest of characters? Imagine a simple claw attack: That could inflict huge damage but low knockback for balancing purposes, or a ridiculously tiny amount of damage, considering the big pterodactyl he is.
  5. Stages just cannot support a creative gameplay with that thing because he will be strictly restricted to both sides edges and not too much movement options. And adjusting stages sizes would make it an overworked character and make him a floating character is even more restrictive.
  6. Shrunk versions does not work for me because we already have Bowser and Charizard covering two possible movesets of similar concepts. PMBR could be very creative, I admit that, but for a clone of Charizard, just download a texture.
  7. With all those cons, 700 hours of development would be a waste of time for developers.
So yes, "-1" for me to Ridley. Thanks.
I'll put it this way: all your reasons are terrible reasons to give a character a -1 vote.

1. This is completely irrelevant. None of the characters that are being considered were "originally meant to be in the game." But this is a mod. And that's what this whole topic is about.

2. Okay, and that's very vague.

3. You've already read (or at least I hope you did) a long lecture on size. He won't be much more massive than Bowser.

4. How do you give him a balanced moveset? The PMBR will figure it out. You make it sound like all his attacks do devastating damage. How would you know that? They would make him how they see fit, and that would include balance. Again, this point is completely irrelevant.

5. What? I don't even understand you. Are you saying because he'd be flying most time, stages with edges are unfair? Guess we should all ban Kirby, Metaknight, Dedede, etc.

6. Ridley can't come in because Bowser and Charizard are already shrunk? That logic is terrible.

7. All those cons don't exist.

Despite you having written a bunch of "points," I'm not sure I can let the others count that as not even one of them would be valid, with the exception of #2, which is as generic as it gets.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
You have some good points, but you are arguing in base of things I never wrote: I never will be against new characters because "I never played them before", I don't think this matter is all about black n white, I never state that smash characters must be canonically sized (and Bowser for different Mario games has lots of sizes such as Mario RPG so doesn't count), I never state either PMBR must take away similar characters (So no, you don't read it right: I say "two different movesets of similar concepts", no "two similar characters"; the concept is "like-lizard monstrous characters" and they have two different movesets and they are fine; the moveset you quote to me feels to much a clone of Charizard, which in that case this Gray Fox could be a more interesting character to include, in my opinion).

So all your post quoting me you just rhetorically turn my statements into other things I never wrote... so once again: I you feel good with Ridley, just vote for it, why you guys cannot live without trying to convince other people how 'dumb' do you think they are just because don't share your preferences. Remember that is only five characters to add AND probably PMBR wiil not fill all five slots.

And ultimately, I suspect developers are not considering community support only but the whole thing instead: they pretend P:M to become a entirely new game-mod and will take in consideration other variables such as technical viability and so on
Just a thought, if you want to avoid losing more credibility than you already have, PLEASE organize your posts into some form of coherent sense. I've read your posts numerous times and still have a hard time trying to decipher what you mean.

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I've seen in the first page that Andy would need a "new moveset from scratch"... Would it be possible if PMBR takes Brawl Snake moveset and makes some modifications? I mean, Andy would have rockets, missiles, gun... Just an idea. I do not know if it is actually possible.

In any case, if the intention of this thread is to bring some characters that won't be in Smash 4, why don't we wait until September 13th or later? I mean, what if Isaac, Ridley and or Takamaru finally gets in Smash 4? Shall PMBR remove them or replace them? Sorry if I didn't read all the thread, maybe you already pointed this ;)

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I've seen in the first page that Andy would need a "new moveset from scratch"... Would it be possible if PMBR takes Brawl Snake moveset and makes some modifications? I mean, Andy would have rockets, missiles, gun... Just an idea. I do not know if it is actually possible.

In any case, if the intention of this thread is to bring some characters that won't be in Smash 4, why don't we wait until September 13th or later? I mean, what if Isaac, Ridley and or Takamaru finally gets in Smash 4? Shall PMBR remove them or replace them? Sorry if I didn't read all the thread, maybe you already pointed this ;)
Andy: It's possible, but it really goes against his character. He's usually seen with a wrench, and his abilities focus on his background as a mechanic, and not so much as a soldier.

Smash 4: The final roster is pretty much known. See the Gematsu leak thread on the SSB4Wii forum.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
The PMBR has stated that if they release or announce a character before that character is shown to be in SM4SH, then they will be keeping that character.

So, no, we should not wait until the 13th to be discussing characters.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Ridley is the new Pichu.

I'd like to take this chance to announce that I am PMBR and I've convinced my colleagues to make an exception to all Clone Engine restrictions in order to include R. Kelly in Smash. He's going to be an Ivysaur clone.

That is all.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Ridley is the new Pichu.

I'd like to take this chance to announce that I am PMBR and I've convinced my colleagues to make an exception to all Clone Engine restrictions in order to include R. Kelly in Smash. He's going to be an Ivysaur clone.

That is all.
Wouldn't R. Kelly be better as a Squirtle clone?:troll:

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641

As I mentioned at the very beginning of my post, it was in no way directed solely at you. It was at the arguments coming from the side in general, and how I've interpreted them. I apologize if you took it personally, but I had made it clear it was a generalization and you managed to make points I could work with.

It's simply just the way I've interpreted overall the thousands of posts I've seen in regards to Ridley, so while it may not all be on-track with the contents at hand, it allowed me to get my words out how I felt would be efficient and show how I personally view the generalization of the Against Ridley. Everyone is entitled to their viewpoints, and while I may not see eye to eye with all of them, that does not mean that I am going to start verbally harassing anyone for our conflicting views. I am simply trying to explain my viewpoint more or less. Whether or not anyone truly gives a damn over whose side is right doesn't matter to me.

I may be wrong, and "you" (as in the collective) be right. In the same turn, I may be right and "you" might be wrong. Both sides could be wrong even. There's so many possibilities, honestly.

As for the five slots, I understand that they may not do all five, and there's a possibility that none could contain Ridley. My overall viewpoint of who gets a place in the roster should be based on all of the factors imaginable and rated from those together. Playstyle? Common recurrences? Iconic character? Rival/Villain? Those are simply just some of the factors to take in mind. Size is included, but if the factors align more positively than negatively, there are workarounds for the negative portions of it all.

My points were not intended to preach the "I'm right you're wrong and you'll never see" mindset. They were intended to be purely informational, admittedly with a little bias opinion in which I apologize for.

My only argument against Grey Fox, as well as anyone else representing the Metal Gear Solid or Sonic franchises is they were guests. They are Third-party material. If they were not, I would not object to them. Heck, they all have potential, but I strongly believe that the roster should be all Nintendo save for a couple of guests. You don't get "The Gang" together, and then invite "Rival Gangs" to hang out with you at the same time. He certainly has the potential, though, I will give Grey Fox that.

Oh I agree with that view. The dev team isn't taking just the community in mind. I didn't list it, as I did think it was obvious that they think about all the other variables. That'd be preposterous to please simply the fans. This thread is simply a way to keep track of what the audience wants, and not what the final material will end up being.

While the "[One Fixable Factor] Makes [Character] Unviable" does grind my gears, I am not mad or getting all worked up about the matter. It'd be wrong of me to assume you're showing agitated feelings about this subject, but really it's simple informational content. If one's getting butthurt over something like that (Not just you, and not just the "Against Ridley" side. I do in fact mean everyone), then there isn't really any way to come to an agreement with one who stands so blindly (Once again, for either side) to their beliefs. This goes for many things in life, not simply pixels on a television screen.

If I am mistaken and you too are also stating informational content, I apologize for my misunderstanding. The Internet is indeed a rough place to try and understand one's emotions without using such silly things as [/sarcasm] or [/anger].

I shall end my post here, as I'm hoping it may end on a more neutral ground, rather than evolving into insult-tossing and the like. It can end with agreeing to disagree as well, and that's quite alright.

Hopefully I've shed some light on my post, and made it obvious these are my personal views of how I see the discussion, and that the content of my posts was solely intended to be informational, and anything outside of that was not intended to happen.

Kerenthar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Radagast_DACC
Just a thought, if you want to avoid losing more credibility than you already have, PLEASE organize your posts into some form of coherent sense. I've read your posts numerous times and still have a hard time trying to decipher what you mean.
Despite you having written a bunch of "points," I'm not sure I can let the others count that as not even one of them would be valid, with the exception of #2, which is as generic as it gets.
Some guys just need to employing the "that's nonsense" argument to turn themselves some kind of smart guys because nothing. Why is so hard to believe for you that some people are not agree with huge or cloned characters? Apparently, both of you think that don't be agree is sacrilege. Why do you even participate in a VOTING thread?

As I mentioned at the very beginning of my post, it was in no way directed solely at you. It was at the arguments coming from the side in general, and how I've interpreted them. I apologize if you took it personally, but I had made it clear it was a generalization and you managed to make points I could work with.

It's simply just the way I've interpreted overall the thousands of posts I've seen in regards to Ridley, so while it may not all be on-track with the contents at hand, it allowed me to get my words out how I felt would be efficient and show how I personally view the generalization of the Against Ridley. Everyone is entitled to their viewpoints, and while I may not see eye to eye with all of them, that does not mean that I am going to start verbally harassing anyone for our conflicting views. I am simply trying to explain my viewpoint more or less. Whether or not anyone truly gives a damn over whose side is right doesn't matter to me.

I may be wrong, and "you" (as in the collective) be right. In the same turn, I may be right and "you" might be wrong. Both sides could be wrong even. There's so many possibilities, honestly.

As for the five slots, I understand that they may not do all five, and there's a possibility that none could contain Ridley. My overall viewpoint of who gets a place in the roster should be based on all of the factors imaginable and rated from those together. Playstyle? Common recurrences? Iconic character? Rival/Villain? Those are simply just some of the factors to take in mind. Size is included, but if the factors align more positively than negatively, there are workarounds for the negative portions of it all.

My points were not intended to preach the "I'm right you're wrong and you'll never see" mindset. They were intended to be purely informational, admittedly with a little bias opinion in which I apologize for.

My only argument against Grey Fox, as well as anyone else representing the Metal Gear Solid or Sonic franchises is they were guests. They are Third-party material. If they were not, I would not object to them. Heck, they all have potential, but I strongly believe that the roster should be all Nintendo save for a couple of guests. You don't get "The Gang" together, and then invite "Rival Gangs" to hang out with you at the same time. He certainly has the potential, though, I will give Grey Fox that.

Oh I agree with that view. The dev team isn't taking just the community in mind. I didn't list it, as I did think it was obvious that they think about all the other variables. That'd be preposterous to please simply the fans. This thread is simply a way to keep track of what the audience wants, and not what the final material will end up being.

While the "[One Fixable Factor] Makes [Character] Unviable" does grind my gears, I am not mad or getting all worked up about the matter. It'd be wrong of me to assume you're showing agitated feelings about this subject, but really it's simple informational content. If one's getting butthurt over something like that (Not just you, and not just the "Against Ridley" side. I do in fact mean everyone), then there isn't really any way to come to an agreement with one who stands so blindly (Once again, for either side) to their beliefs. This goes for many things in life, not simply pixels on a television screen.

If I am mistaken and you too are also stating informational content, I apologize for my misunderstanding. The Internet is indeed a rough place to try and understand one's emotions without using such silly things as [/sarcasm] or [/anger].

I shall end my post here, as I'm hoping it may end on a more neutral ground, rather than evolving into insult-tossing and the like. It can end with agreeing to disagree as well, and that's quite alright.

Hopefully I've shed some light on my post, and made it obvious these are my personal views of how I see the discussion, and that the content of my posts was solely intended to be informational, and anything outside of that was not intended to happen.
I must thank you this, @ Kazyx Kazyx . It is not my intention either to turn the threat a fight between members. I actually think both of us have some reasons and I must admit that Ridley is quite popular and if devs finally consider him into consideration, I hope the resulting character will be good, I just try to represent the opposite stance.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Some guys just need to employing the "that's nonsense" argument to turn themselves some kind of smart guys because nothing. Why is so hard to believe for you that some people are not agree with huge or cloned characters? Apparently, both of you think that don't be agree is sacrilege. Why do you even participate in a VOTING thread?
It's nonsense because it's nonsense.

Look, I disagree with a GREAT deal of stuff on this thread. And I usually don't say anything about it when someone has a reason to back it up. I only come out to say things when you're making opinions on something that's clearly wrong. You could've said "I don't want Ridley because he's ugly," and boom, that's a valid -1. It may be a stupid opinion, but it's a valid because it's pure opinion.

People tend to complain, "What's wrong with my opinion when it's a voting thread? I'm entitled to my own opinion." Things aren't so simplistic. There are opinions, and there are opinions based on incorrect facts. You can vote against a president in an election because you think, "I just don't like his character." That's opinion. The vote is legit. However, if you think, "I'll vote against him because he's gay" or "I'll vote against him because he did this" (when his track record clearly states otherwise), that's unacceptable.

In this case, voting against Ridley because he'd be too big is wrong because it is not fact. (Similarly, you had a reason based on his moveset, which is obviously not fact because IT DOES NOT EXIST). HOWEVER, if you were to vote against him because you'd know he'd be big, and you don't like big characters, then that's an acceptable reason.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
Why did you even quote my post?
I didn't say any of those things.
Like damn, I was just trying to give you a helpful suggestion.

If I came off as condescending, then I'm sorry, but your posts really do need some work concerning organization.
Also grammar.

Last edited:

DatDolphin

Smash Cadet
When a Slippy Main's opponent goes in for a tech chase.

HELP THEY'RE ON MY TAIL!
I would literally play Slippy to yell this while I'm being tech chased.

His size affects drastically the gameplay of all rest of the roster because will not be the same fight against a standard size range and fight against that massive thing.
See Bowser.

How do you give to him a balanced moveset that can live together with the rest of characters? Imagine a simple claw attack: That could inflict huge damage but low knockback for balancing purposes, or a ridiculously tiny amount of damage, considering the big pterodactyl he is.
Imagine an Aerial-based Bowser. Not quite as fast as Charizard, more move choices, and harder hitting moves that come out slower.

Also, based on canon Metroid games, Ridley's knockback isn't even enough to lift Samus off of the ground, so does that mean his knockback shouldn't be able to kill? Basing a character solely off of how they work in their game is kinda stupid. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Charizard should be locked to 4 moves if we follow your logic. Sheik and Zelda should not be able to exist together. Do you see how this logic is flawed?

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
The Frankenstein Slippy:

Neutral B: Zamus Paralyzer
Side B: Samus Missiles / Snake Nikita
Up B: Ness PK-Thunder
Down B: Meteor Shine - it's the only trajectory not covered by a shine lol. Shine tech chases, oh my!

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
The Frankenstein Slippy:

Neutral B: Zamus Paralyzer
Side B: Samus Missiles / Snake Nikita
Up B: Ness PK-Thunder
Down B: Meteor Shine - it's the only trajectory not covered by a shine lol. Shine tech chases, oh my!
I don't see how PKT would be relevant to Slippy. As in, what would the move be?

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
My personal issue is that I like PKT's mechanic as a PK Kid staple. Similarly to how I wouldn't give a non-spacey a shine or blaster. Even if those moves are only monopolized because the characters are cloned, they've come to be in a sense part of that series' representation.

That's just me though.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I personally just don't see how he could make a remote-controlled lightning bolt. I mean, remote controlled tech, yeah, but a lightning bolt is just pure energy...

I guess that's too logical, though, considering the crap some of these characters do. Then again, he is sci-fi, which usually makes some kind of actual sense...

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Influencing the direction of energy is difficult, but by the time we have Star Fox tech I'm sure it could be accomplished. It was just a fun little brainstorm, I'm thinking of making a quick PSA of it and mess around lol.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Influencing the direction of energy is difficult, but by the time we have Star Fox tech I'm sure it could be accomplished. It was just a fun little brainstorm, I'm thinking of making a quick PSA of it and mess around lol.
You can PSA? That's pretty awesome. I can do imports, but I can't find the first place to start with movesets, lol. The extent of what I've done with that is make a voice mod for a BrawlEx character.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Making a Frankenstein PSA is actually pretty simple, although I do encounter some hiccups every now and then. Editing hitboxes and damage/trajectory is also pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

The Side Bs I have set up for him currently would give me the most problems.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Lightning isn't "pure energy" it's just a phenomenon where electrons overcome the resistance of the space between two charged surfaces, and you can manipulate the trajectory of electrons very easily. Granted, we can't actually manipulate lightning in real life very well, because it all happens in a split second and the electrons don't actually move much, but in gaming physics lightning is so damn slow and just sort of floats around for no reason so I suppose it'd make "sense" for someone to make a device that could influence its trajectory.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Kind of off topic, but two pet peeves about lightning that I (think) have been perpetuated by Japanese games:

1. Lightning is not typically yellow. It's blue most of the time.

2. It's not THUNDER. Thunder is the sound, damnit. Damn Pokemon and its Thundershock and Thunder Punch.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
lightning is so damn slow and just sort of floats around for no reason
In all seriousness, though, you're right about lightning being created by electrons and being able to control an initial trajectory, but no matter how slow it is, I still don't see how it could be freely manipulated like PK Thunder is without at least some sort of connection between the lightning and the controller. Once the lightning is set loose from whatever generated it, you'd lose control over it.

But like said, this is a game where real physics mean nothing. It just doesn't seem to me like something that really fits the character's skill set. It makes more sense to me to have him focus on devices more like those found in his games - blasters and explosives. ... Unless we wanna give him Krystal's staff...? Lol, that would be pretty funny, actually.
Damn Pokemon and its Thundershock and Thunder Punch.
And PK Thunder!

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It burns!!!!
Welcome to the cruel life of a Sonic Fan. A life filled with an awesome American company shackled by its poor taste Japanese superiors that are afraid to make money properly and make sport of shaming their fans.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Welcome to the cruel life of a Sonic Fan. A life filled with an awesome American company shackled by its poor taste Japanese superiors that are afraid to make money properly and make sport of shaming their fans.
"FUN IS INFINITE WITH SEGA CORPORATION"

And what they meant was that the fun was infinite for them.

Though I'm not much of a Sonic fan anymore, I would like to find the guy who decided that the guy who made the Alvin and the Chipmunks abortions needed to be in charge of a Sonic movie, and take a saw, and saw him. As pretty as Sonic's CG is, it would've been perfect for a full CG film.

But nope, gotta have the done-to-hell-and-back-live-action-cross-over-with-a-mediocre-human-lead-and-sonic-lives-with-him-and-makes-his-life-hell-until-he-helps-him-ask-his-girlfriend-to-marry-him-or-something-and-then-they-all-go-home story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom