• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I think Pichu and Young Link shouldn't even have to be voted on, people mained them in Melee and were upset after their departure. I seconded Young Link and mained him for awhile in Melee yet another reason I have to keep going back to Melee. How can other peoples mains in Melee be respected and return without votes yet other people are punished for maining less popular characters in Melee? (like what Nintendo keeps doing by cutting characters) I think Project M should have everyTHING Melee had to offer yet more not less in certain departments. I think Pichu and Young Link should just be givens and next in line in respect to Melee and Melees fans. Then the other 3 slots should be voted on. Though I think Toon Link should get a move overhaul and Young Link should return to his former glory with slight move adjustments. Pichu should also get several tweaks and maybe a few moves to differentiate him from Pikachu yet still making him feel and play like Melee Pichu but just without the sucking part. Hell if they were givens then I would vote for some of these choices but not until then because that is disrespect to the game that inspired this Project in the first place.
A lot of people argue that Young Link lives on through Toon Link, as many of his moves were inherited. Also, Pichu at this point would sorta be a joke character, and there's already too many Pokemon.

I also think Disrespecting Melee is a harsh way to put it. This isn't supposed to be a Melee Clone. As of now it's really it's own thing- a version of Brawl that embraces Melee's competitive aspects whilst expanding the roster and throwing in some fan-service/community desire charm. (Alt costumes and the like.)

Limiting ourselves to Melee features? That's disrespectful to the project itself.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I think Pichu and Young Link shouldn't even have to be voted on, people mained them in Melee and were upset after their departure. I seconded Young Link and mained him for awhile in Melee yet another reason I have to keep going back to Melee. How can other peoples mains in Melee be respected and return without votes yet other people are punished for maining less popular characters in Melee? (like what Nintendo keeps doing by cutting characters) I think Project M should have everyTHING Melee had to offer yet more not less in certain departments. I think Pichu and Young Link should just be givens and next in line in respect to Melee and Melees fans. Then the other 3 slots should be voted on. Though I think Toon Link should get a move overhaul and Young Link should return to his former glory with slight move adjustments. Pichu should also get several tweaks and maybe a few moves to differentiate him from Pikachu yet still making him feel and play like Melee Pichu but just without the sucking part. Hell if they were givens then I would vote for some of these choices but not until then because that is disrespect to the game that inspired this Project in the first place.
A lot of people argue that Young Link lives on through Toon Link, as many of his moves were inherited. Also, Pichu at this point would sorta be a joke character, and there's already too many Pokemon.

As someone who mained young link in melee, and mains Toon Link in PM, Tlink in a great successor for the playstyle, he plays just young link (except I find myself doing some axe-style rushdowns more, compared to my armada style bomb approaches in melee, but I digress).

I don't mind having to play as Tlink for Young Link from a gameplay perspective, although I love the character of Young Link and I would love to have him back, but even I have a hard time justifying his inclusion in a game that everyone has to play and only I would enjoy. I'll just throw some skins over Ylink when the next edition comes out and call it a day.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
As someone who mained young link in melee, and mains Toon Link in PM, Tlink in a great successor for the playstyle, he plays just young link (except I find myself doing some axe-style rushdowns more, compared to my armada style bomb approaches in melee, but I digress).

I don't mind having to play as Tlink for Young Link from a gameplay perspective, although I love the character of Young Link and I would love to have him back, but even I have a hard time justifying his inclusion in a game that everyone has to play and only I would enjoy. I'll just throw some skins over Ylink when the next edition comes out and call it a day.
I actually main Young Link in Melee.

Is it a little upsetting? Sure. But it doesn't call for 3 Links in one game. XD

Exodo

Smash Ace
if sami makes it for anyone who has played League of Legends, i feel her side b and neutral b should be like Jinxs basic attacks
for the NeutralB she can get maybe a machine gun and do a 3 round shot and for the Side B it can be like snakes RPG in brawl only that you dont control it and you can move after launching it.
just throwing out some moveset ideas, that could fit her well coming from a war game.

Exodo

Smash Ace
I meant Fox, Falco, and Lucas obv
oh my bad, i was thinking of literally foxes..

Not gonna happen The PMDT said that Sm4sh newcomers won't be in PM.
thats a shame since Bowser Jr was actually a really good candidate for Clone engine, though i give props for sakurai and the Smash4 team, what they did with him was better than what i had in mind

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
+1 Waluigi- He can have fun moveset based around the mario spin-offs or be the Dan of project M.
+1 Ridley- He will be a challenge to make and very controversial but it would be fun to see reactions to his inclusion.
+1 skull Kid- Another one that would be changeling to make, but a fan favorite.
+1 Pichu- I love the little joke. Smash needs characters to disrespect people with.
+1 King K Rool- any character I can quote the DK animated tv show with the better.

-1. sonic's
friends.- If sega gets more reps is should not be from the same franchise.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I actually main Young Link in Melee.

Is it a little upsetting? Sure. But it doesn't call for 3 Links in one game. XD
I do too, and its because I love the character as well as they play stye. So I agree that we don't need three, but I woulnd't mind it either :troll:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
This has nothing to do with PM, but alot of Mother fans inhabit this thread, so I might aswell ask it here.

Ness in Sm4sh happens to have all of Lucas' specials for custom moves. I had the ingenious idea of making him a glorified alt like Alph and the Koopalings for DLC. Problem is, I'm nervous this would be a slap in the face to the majority of Mother fans. I mean, it can't possibly be "Ridley as Charizard skin" bad, as Ness and Lucas are from the same franchise...right? :(

What do you think?

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
This has nothing to do with PM, but alot of Mother fans inhabit this thread, so I might aswell ask it here.

Ness in Sm4sh happens to have all of Lucas' specials for custom moves. I had the ingenious idea of making him a glorified alt like Alph and the Koopalings for DLC. Problem is, I'm nervous this would be a slap in the face to the majority of Mother fans...

What do you think?
I can't speak for every Mother fan obviously, but as for me and all the Mother fans I've spoken to about it, we pretty much agree we would absolutely hate this idea. Being reduced from a character with unique moves to a costume would be really insulting.

And if he's going to be DLC, why not just make him a character?

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
As much as i like that that's another vote for sami, "Femme Fatale" is describing her as something she completely isn't.

I hate these word crimes...
I actually went through like three different female characters before actually picking Sami, and just didn't bother to change the header. -shrug- Sorry.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

Ness in Sm4sh happens to have all of Lucas' specials for custom moves. I had the ingenious idea of making him a glorified alt like Alph and the Koopalings for DLC. Problem is, I'm nervous this would be a slap in the face to the majority of Mother fans. I mean, it can't possibly be "Ridley as Charizard skin" bad, as Ness and Lucas are from the same franchise...right? :(

What do you think?
Preeety much what Shin said.

Lucas is my favorite Mother character, and having him as a Ness alt would just be dissapointing.

Tbh, it's dissapointing enough to see his moves go to Ness as customs. Makes his DLC entry less of a possibility.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
+Ridley: Easily my #1 choice. His lack of inclusion in the next Smash Bros. game was easily the most disappointing roster exclusion and I've been wanting to see him playable before I ever played a Metroid game. The series is now one of my favorite Nintendo series and I would love to play as him.
+Dixie Kong: Easily my #2 choice. DKC2 is one of my favorite games of all time and I was super disappointed she wasn't playable in the next Smash Bros. game. If she's added, I recommend having a lot of her A moves have her attack with her hair as opposed to much of Diddy's A moves where he's very fist based.
+Black Shadow (F-Zero) + Ganondorf(Legend of Zelda): I don't know a single Zelda fan who likes how Ganondorf is represented in the Smash Bros series. I don't care much about Black Shadow as a character, but he would add a new villain character for the Smash Bros. series and seems like the best candidate for Ganondorf's old move set.
+Tails: I doubt he'll ever be added because a lot of people do not want additional Sonic characters (which disappoints me greatly), but Tails is one of my favorite video game characters of all time and he's capable of having a very interesting moveset. Giving him abilities that involve his tails and his technology would be awesome (especially if some moves referenced Tails Adventures for Game Gear), but keeping or having a move similar to Sonic's down B spindash move would be a good idea. If pulled off really well, I could easily see him becoming one of my mains.
+Paper Mario: This character was #6 for me but after some further thinking, I decided to put him on this list because I feel he would be a more unique addition than Saki. That, and Paper Mario is more relevant of a series compared to Sin & Punishment (despite how much I love Star Successor).

-Pichu: There's already a ton of Pokemon (which I'm perfectly fine with) and I don't know a single person who hates that he wasn't included in Brawl. If there wasn't roster limits, I wouldn't care if he was eventually added, but there is and I don't feel his inclusion would benefit Project M's roster much since he's massive a clone of Pikachu.

Edit-

I edited my list to replace Saki with Paper Mario. Here's what I originally wrote for Saki.

+Saki Amamiya: This character has a lot of potential to be a great addition to Project M and a lot of his animations could be borrowed from the assist trophy. I was really disappointed when he was announced as an assist trophy again, so it would be great if he was added.

Last edited:

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people argue that Young Link lives on through Toon Link, as many of his moves were inherited.
Well Toon Link is floatier, plays different and the Toon Zelda games aren't my thing. He is so much different than Young Link in play style and stats so I just can't dig it. Plus his looks like I stated, I don't like those Zelda games art design in the slightest. If I was like 6-12 years old maybe it would be different.

Also, Pichu at this point would sorta be a joke character, and there's already too many Pokemon.
Pichu can be made to be balanced so he wouldn't be a joke character, look what the Project M team did for everyone else. Also the logic "there are too many Pokemon" fails when Pokemon has one of the largest fan bases of any Nintendo series only in competition with Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda(Sales wise too). Pokemon also has more characters than nearly all other Nintendo franchises. Of represented franchises in Smash only the Super Mario universe can really even compete with it in that category(Which points to the fact why there are also so many Mario Characters plus the popularity as stated). There are 719 Pokemon and when you include the non-pokemon characters in the Pokemon universe that makes it 1000+ Characters. So in contrast to fairly represent Pokemon there needs to be more Pokemon Characters if you go by the percentages of characters in each respective universe which it looks like Nintendo somewhat does seeing so many Mario Characters and such. Other stats to take in account: LoZ barely breaks 400 characters. Star Fox, Kid Icarus, F-Zero and Mother for example don't even break 300 characters including grunts and bosses. Hell F-Zero doesn't even break 100. I could go on and on in that field. But hey people can believe that overplayed bad logic, if everyone says something enough others believe it and repeat it.

I also think Disrespecting Melee is a harsh way to put it. This isn't supposed to be a Melee Clone. As of now it's really it's own thing- a version of Brawl that embraces Melee's competitive aspects whilst expanding the roster and throwing in some fan-service/community desire charm. (Alt costumes and the like.)

Limiting ourselves to Melee features? That's disrespectful to the project itself
I never said limiting it to Melee features or that it needs to be a Melee clone. I meant as in bringing back everything Melee had to offer yet expanding it. And yes I do like fan service too so where is the Melee fan service in that department

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
There are 719 Pokemon and when you include the non-pokemon characters in the Pokemon universe that makes it 1000+ Characters. So in contrast to fairly represent Pokemon there needs to be more Pokemon Characters if you go by the percentages of characters in each respective universe which it looks like Nintendo somewhat does seeing so many Mario Characters and such. Other stats to take in account: LoZ barely breaks 400 characters. Star Fox, Kid Icarus, F-Zero and Mother for example don't even break 300 characters including grunts and bosses. Hell F-Zero doesn't even break 100. I could go on and on in that field. But hey people can believe that overplayed bad logic, if everyone says something enough others believe it and repeat it.
Okay, just saying, this kind of logic is terrible. Just because a series has more characters in its games of origin doesn't mean that it deserves to have more in Smash, especially when the character you're arguing for isn't even unique among the cast that series' characters. If you're arguing that Pichu should be there to represent the wide and diverse cast of characters in Pokemon, then it would make more sense to pick a type of Pokemon that isn't yet represented in Smash so that a new aspect can be represented.

FYI, I say this as someone who supports Pichu.

Last edited:

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
What if.. We get SILVER THE HEDGEHOG!

Now hear me out!

Silver is a telekinetic creature that, while similar in appearance to the other two hedgehogs, is a psychic.
He is depicted as being able to hover, throw, and launch blasts of energy with only his mind.

Cmon, he'd be a perfect practical clone of Mewtwo! Minus the obvious aesthetic difference, the only problem is that Silver doesn't have an absurdly overpowered and lengthy tail.

Now is it possible to use a character's abilities on another character's model? because if so, then Silver could replace all of the telekinetic attacks he uses with those similar to Sonic.
There are likely several logistical holes with this, I know, but would it work practically?

ImThatGuy

Smash Cadet
+Masked Man/Claus: An extremely popular character who's model would be easy to make, while the character itself could be pretty original. Hes an important character to the Mother franchise, which even though it has an alright amount of representation currently, a villain would round it out perfectly imo. As for the whole "spoiler" thing, Mother 3 is pretty old at this point, if you've heard of the game, you probably know Claus=Masked Man, (iirc Lucas' trophy spoiled it anyway)The Mother series took quite the cut in the new smash, losing Lucas and what not, so why not try and mend the broken hearts of many by giving us one of the coolest characters in the Mother franchise. As for why him over Ninten, I personally see alot more potential with Masked Man, utilizing his sword and his cannon, he could be somewhat of a combo between Lucas/Ness, Meta Knight and maybe even a bit of Samus/Mega Man.

-Pichu: I get that Pokemon is popular and that Pichu was a vet in melee, but think about it, 8 reps for one series? That just seems to be overwhelming (Yoshi, Wario and Dk all have established, non Mario related, series). I get that Pokemon has over 719 Pokemon (probably the most amount of characters in a Nintendo franchise) but that doesn't mean that the series isn't already well represented with 7 characters. You cover so much ground representation wise with these diverse characters that Pichu is unnecessary in my opinion. Plus, why bother if he gathers so much controversy, quite a bit more than any other discussed possible character, I know you cant please everyone, but this character is literally a 50/50, either people love it, or hate it, Ive seen no impartiality to this character. I honestly think that people would bash on PM even more than they already do, which I don't want to see happen.I'd rather have no new characters at all than a character that would cause so much hate towards the game just to make a few people happy.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I guess that's why we have 16 :troll:

Need 8 costumes for each one.

I vote we get Young link and Link from the TV show up in here.

If we can't get the Licensing rights to the TV version let's just go with the CD-I link.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Not gonna happen The PMDT said that Sm4sh newcomers won't be in PM.
This.

Or else I know that Warchamp7 would personally start working on Robin.

And that would be ****ing fantastic in P:M

Edit : ****, double post.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Nah, make one of them Dark Link and give him a Ganon-esque moveset.
No wait.

We'll give him the same moves as Link.
Give them the same damage
Make him slightly heavier.
AND CHANGE HIS FINAL SMASH

:4darkpit:

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
My first time voting, this is all I want.

+1 Ridley
+1 Ganondorf/Blackshadow
+1 Dark Samus
+1 K. Rool

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
PM will get hate for excluding Pichu too, just saying.
Whether Pichu is included or excluded there would be hate. Why do you think there are people giving Pichu a -1 vote? Smash is the type of game that can't please everyone because there are so many potential Nintendo characters that can be in this game. Like you stated before there are 700+ pokemon, any fighting type pokemon in my eyes can have a developed moveset in Project M and then there are the other types...the possibilities are endless. I'm neutral to Pichu but veteran status is the only thing Pichu supporters cling on to warrant his inclusion in Project M and the PMBR stated countless times that they are their own game, the M does not stand for Melee so don't expect it to be Melee 2.0

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Well, Pichu is hated or just ignored by many people because he was a mistake. That's it. He was the classical fighting games joke about a bad character. He is bad. He was intended to be bad.

I would preffer Plusle & Minum as a playable character, with modified Pichu's moveset but double character like the IC. Maybe an alt costume for them could be shiny Pichu and sparked ear Pichu, both from Pokémon Gen IV.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
so I seem to have recalled that when i cast my votes, Only used 3 of my 5 +1's.

+1 votes
Lyn
Isaac
Dark Samus

1/2 votes
saki
bowser junior
samurai goroh
dixie kong

-1 votes
Ridley
Ganon/black shadow
Sonic characters
Hector
well, I'd like to put forward those last two.

1+ Sami - must have forgotten advance wars was a thing when I first voted (very easy to do considering how it just comes and goes), otherwise, I dunno how I missed her. like I've said before, most females present in the game are poised, lithe, acrobatic and the like - Sami presents us with the "rough and tumble" girl the roster currently lacks. We can all imagine a snake clone being a somewhat decent place to work from for her, with an orange star missile launcher as a focus for specials and maybe a smash attack. as for her preference, I still fail to see how Andy is considered the protagonist of the series, where it's really Orange Star collectively. also,

Sami>Andy. Objectively.

1+ K.Rool.
with a bit of effort I still think he could work as a Bowser clone, we get another villain, and he's supposed to be a trophy in Smash 3DS - he's not dead yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom