• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Poor Harvest Moon Guy/Gal Rip in Piece :cry:

Was Simon Belmont a candidate? I can't read almost 500 pages to find out. We really need a new thread just to tally votes or something but I guess the team is waiting on the final roster for Sm4sh so we don't step on their toes or get anyone's hopes up.
Simon Belmont as in the Castlevania Simon Belmont? That's owned by Konami and has no representation in Brawl as either a trophy or a sticker. The Dracula's Castle stage in Project M is a original design based on depictions of Dracula's Castle across several interpretations of the character Dracula, including Castlvevania. SO TECHNICALLY, Dracula's Castle isn't a Castlevania stage (or at least this is what I last heard the PMBR were pushing as to not get sued)
Harvest Moon isn't even a Nintendo franchise. There's tons of them on Sony consoles.

Of course the important thing is that it isn't represented in Brawl.
Ah, I've actually never heard of Harvest Moon before so I just assumed it was a Nintendo franchise that either didn't get any trophy representation or I didn't unlock their trophy. Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Simon Belmont as in the Castlevania Simon Belmont? That's owned by Konami and has no representation in Brawl as either a trophy or a sticker. The Dracula's Castle stage in Project M is a original design based on depictions of Dracula's Castle across several interpretations of the character Dracula, including Castlvevania. SO TECHNICALLY, Dracula's Castle isn't a Castlevania stage (or at least this is what I last heard the PMBR were pushing as to not get sued)
I don't know what they've said, but I think Project M's Dracula's Castle is pretty obviously based on Dimensional Rift from Castlevania Judgment.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
As to spark some discussion, here's a moveset for Canondorf/Black Shadow:

B-up: evil laugh
B-neutral: throw easily reflected projectile
B-side: steal triforce
B-down: spend an entire game sitting on his throne waiting to get smacked down
Final Smash: turn into a giant pig monkey that's inexplicably even easier to beat than his already laughably easy human form

There we go, 100% original ganondorf moveset that's entirely based on the games. And by "games" I mean Ocarina of Time, because frankly that's all the Zelda fans care about anyways.
I'd still play this over Falcondorf :troll:

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Just throwing this out there: I'd rather the PMBR's resources be spent creating one unique character, than 5 corner-cutting clones. This game already has too many matchups to keep track of, and each character added should be of the highest quality to justify further saturating the game.

I know Smash 4 has way more characters, but it will most likely not be as balanced, and many of those matchups will be irrelevant to competitive play. PMBR concerns itself more with the metagame.

Even from a casual standpoint, I think most people would prefer a new Mewtwo over five Roys.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Micaiah and Lyn deserved to be in Project M more than Roy.
No Fire Emblem fan cares about Roy. The only people who care about Roy are Smash fans.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
No Fire Emblem fan cares about Roy. The only people who care about Roy are Smash fans.
That's a good point, but to be clear by Roy I meant 'clone sharing most animations and attacks', and by Mewtwo I meant 'new character built from the ground up'.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I mean, I'm glad that fans of T3H PHIR3 got rewarded but I've agreed with this since pre-Brawl when I was hoping for a Marth/Ike/Lyn triumvirate.

Exodo

Smash Ace
Just throwing this out there: I'd rather the PMBR's resources be spent creating one unique character, than 5 corner-cutting clones. This game already has too many matchups to keep track of, and each character added should be of the highest quality to justify further saturating the game.

I know Smash 4 has way more characters, but it will most likely not be as balanced, and many of those matchups will be irrelevant to competitive play. PMBR concerns itself more with the metagame.

Even from a casual standpoint, I think most people would prefer a new Mewtwo over five Roys.
Cough*Pichu Bros*cough
And what do you mean 1 mewtwo ovrr 5 roys? That roy isint as complex as meetwo doesnt mean he is not great, plus what you are saying is that marth, who is even more simple than roy as a whole is a waste?
Aside from that th PM will keep on getting updates and having many matchups makes it even more interesting and fun. So yeah i would rather have my "five roys"(Pichu Bros - Isaac - Sami -Ray MK - ???)

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Cough*Pichu Bros*cough
And what do you mean 1 mewtwo ovrr 5 roys? That roy isint as complex as meetwo doesnt mean he is not great, plus what you are saying is that marth, who is even more simple than roy as a whole is a waste?
Marth is a completely original character, Roy is a very similar clone of Marth. Roy is a special case where they only brought him back because he was a Melee veteran. Even though the PMBR went the extra mile and gave him new attacks and animations, he is still very obviously a Marth clone.

Quality > quantity.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Clones are just as quality as original characters, and implying that they wouldn't be is almost insulting to PMBR, who've gone out of their way to distinguish Roy as much as possible. And even characters with very similar movesets (IE Fox and Falco) can bring different and unique experiences to the meta game. That's why we had six clones rather than one unique character in Melee.

Further, it's not as though if PMBR decided to make some clone characters, it automatically means there won't be any more unique ones. It's much more likely that there would be a mix, 1 or 2 unique and 3 or 4 clones.

Exodo

Smash Ace
Marth is a completely original character, Roy is a very similar clone of Marth. Roy is a special case where they only brought him back because he was a Melee veteran. Even though the PMBR went the extra mile and gave him new attacks and animations, he is still very obviously a Marth clone.

Quality > quantity.
Roy is of super high quality, in fact i have shown PM to some friends who havent played smash in a long time and they actually thought that mewtwo and roy where original from the game. Now i get what you mean you prefer having one new unique character and not another clone. But you still cant deny that roy is awesome

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Roy is of super high quality, in fact i have shown PM to some friends who havent played smash in a long time and they actually thought that mewtwo and roy where original from the game. Now i get what you mean you prefer having one new unique character and not another clone. But you still cant deny that roy is awesome
...Buuuut to anyone familiar with smash, it's painfully obvious he still shares the majority of his animations with Marth.

I'm still supportive of a 4th FE character because it's one of nintendo's bigger series behind the Big 3 (Mario+it's derivatives, zelda and pokemon), second only to Kirby really. with 13 games, Awakening's popularity AND Sakurai himself deciding that Smash 3DS/U can have 4 (technically 5, Femrobin is very different from robin) FE characters, a second CE slot doesn't seem like such a waste, BUT a scratch built character is infinitley more attractive concept for a 4th. To compare to smash 3DS/U, think of Roy as (a much better) Lucina and [prospective 4th character] as Robin.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
...Buuuut to anyone familiar with smash, it's painfully obvious he still shares the majority of his animations with Marth.

I'm still supportive of a 4th FE character because it's one of nintendo's bigger series behind the Big 3 (Mario+it's derivatives, zelda and pokemon), second only to Kirby really. with 13 games, Awakening's popularity AND Sakurai himself deciding that Smash 3DS/U can have 4 (technically 5, Femrobin is very different from robin) FE characters, a second CE slot doesn't seem like such a waste, BUT a scratch built character is infinitley more attractive concept for a 4th. To compare to smash 3DS/U, think of Roy as (a much better) Lucina and [prospective 4th character] as Robin.
Don't Femrobin and Robin have the same movesets?...

Shin F.

Smash Master
Yeah, Robin and FemRobin are alt costumes. They literally are 100% the same. Otherwise, as Sakurai said, if they had the slightest difference they'd have their own spot. Arguing that they're different is supremely weak.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast

yeah, but I'm just saying in FE:A, they're 2 veeeery different people. like i said, technically, there's 5 FE characters in Smash 3ds/u. as in Robin is actually a choice for 1 of 2 people.

Shin F.

Smash Master
yeah, but I'm just saying in FE:A, they're 2 veeeery different people. like i said, technically, there's 5 FE characters in Smash 3ds/u. as in Robin is actually a choice for 1 of 2 people.
No, they're really not. Robin is an avatar character - a character who can be made into many different versions of themselves. Male Robin and Female Robin are simply two different variations of the same character, not two different characters all their own. That's like saying we have 8 Animal Crossing characters because each Villager variation is its own person.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
No, they're really not. Robin is an avatar character - a character who can be made into many different versions of themselves. Male Robin and Female Robin are simply two different variations of the same character, not two different characters all their own. That's like saying we have 8 Animal Crossing characters because each Villager variation is its own person.
anyone who played awakening can tell you that either robins are pre-established characters that you can customize, but name and gender are the only things to have impact on the game. femrobin is quite a different PERSON from malerobin.

edit: and that's why i put the "technically" there, i know people are going to argue the point.

anyway, we're getting off topic.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
If I were king of everything, I would not include any more Fire Emblem characters since they have 3 reps. Reps from other nintendo games would be at the top of the list then filling out already represented games would come second. For fire emblem to even have a chance at a fourth rep, it needs to be something drastically different and a Bishop is the only way I see that happening since Mage Knights are really awful units and ponies are not allowed in smash.
Micaiah is drastically different. Bishops are impossible. 1) You should only be choosing FE lords/protagonists (side characters do not belong), and 2) You can only be choosing FE lords/protagonists anyways, with a few exceptions (like the Black Knight and a few other Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn characters that made it in as stickers). Either way, no Bishops.

Also, Micaiah uses light spells, just like Bishops, so that works. She also has the same ultimate ability (Corona).

Ganondalf

Smash Cadet
Micaiah is drastically different. Bishops are impossible. 1) You should only be choosing FE lords/protagonists (side characters do not belong), and 2) You can only be choosing FE lords/protagonists anyways, with a few exceptions (like the Black Knight and a few other Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn characters that made it in as stickers). Either way, no Bishops.

Also, Micaiah uses light spells, just like Bishops, so that works. She also has the same ultimate ability (Corona).
I didnt specify because i havent played all FE games. Please don't assume any side characters were mentioned. It was also a somewhat light (the jokes) post as all the lords in FE are practically identical sword wielders (seriously, the vast majority are swordsmen/women). I don't know who Micaiah is because I've never played that particular one so please stop being to aggressive as if I downvoted her or something; your waifu is safe. I have also not voted on any FE characters nor brought any particular up other that "we should have a light wielder ('like a Bishop') to off-set the darkness and elementalists we already have in smash".

--after looking her up--

Literally as I typed in her name into google the third most popular search for her was "Mary Sue" lol. But anyway she sounds neat and since she is a sticker it is feasable.. I'm on the fence though. I really don't want to support another character in a series that has plenty of representation.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I didnt specify because i havent played all FE games. Please don't assume any side characters were mentioned. It was also a somewhat light (the jokes) post as all the lords in FE are practically identical sword wielders (seriously, the vast majority are swordsmen/women). I don't know who Micaiah is because I've never played that particular one so please stop being to aggressive as if I downvoted her or something; your waifu is safe. I have also not voted on any FE characters nor brought any particular up other that "we should have a light wielder ('like a Bishop') to off-set the darkness and elementalists we already have in smash".

--after looking her up--

Literally as I typed in her name into google the third most popular search for her was "Mary Sue" lol. But anyway she sounds neat and since she is a sticker it is feasable.. I'm on the fence though. I really don't want to support another character in a series that has plenty of representation.
...wtf? Waifu? I wasn't posting defensively or aggressively at all. I was just responding to you because I literally just made a post about Micaiah as an FE protagonist who's different than the others, and then you say something about FE lords as if you've played the series, and then saying the only thing that makes sense would be the exact description of what I just posted, as in:

Me: "So here's a legitimate FE candidate that uses light magic."
You: "I'm kinda opposed to adding any FE characters unless they do something different, like use light magic."
Me: "I just brought up someone like that. Read above about Micaiah."
You: "Stop being so aggressive as if I've downvoted her!" <---????

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
On a side note, based on the current trends of Smash 4 reveals lining up with the most accurate leaks, I think Ridley is soon going to become inelligible for PM (unless they've already made Ridley somehow), and that will send shockwaves throughout this thread.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Do I have to give a good reason to half-vote a character? Or do I need a reason at all?

MLGF

Smash Lord
Good thing PM is mostly Smash fanservice then?

I agree on Roy being trash, but I also am vocal against Lyn as well. I think it's wrong to complain about one bland character in exchange for another because of what package the character carries.

Roy at least has vet status anyways.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Good thing PM is mostly Smash fanservice then?

I agree on Roy being trash, but I also am vocal against Lyn as well. I think it's wrong to complain about one bland character in exchange for another because of what package the character carries.

Roy at least has vet status anyways.
But katanas are better packages!

On a side note, based on the current trends of Smash 4 reveals lining up with the most accurate leaks, I think Ridley is soon going to become inelligible for PM (unless they've already made Ridley somehow), and that will send shockwaves throughout this thread.
The sooner Ridley and K. Rool become playable, the better. I really want the Smash community to get past these two characters already. :p

Last edited:

Ganondalf

Smash Cadet
Ridley would make an interesting Charizard clone or Charizard/Bowser hybrid. Though, I can imagine it's a nightmare making a usable character like Ridley move around with flapping wings, and his crazy tail (which should be like Link's shield and block projectiles).

Ridley or Dark Samus I'm perfectly happy with. Either would be good additions but I feel Dark Samus would be easier to work with.

Why not Kraid?:troll:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
i will fite you

but no seriously since then I've played his game with a proper translation patch. he's a cool guy, but man is he and most of his supporting cast completely screwed when it comes to their growth rates. his late promotion really doesn't help either.

I agree on Roy being trash, but I also am vocal against Lyn as well. I think it's wrong to complain about one bland character in exchange for another
Lyndis? "Bland?" you best be joking. she's iconic as the first lord the west got to play as in an actual Fire Emblem game. A young woman from the plains determined to avenge her family and tribe, who gets swept up in a petty battle with her granduncle over the inheritance of her family's house? she's one of the least typical lords of the fire emblem series. also, unless I'm mistaken, at the time of brawl's release, the only lord class to weild a bow.

also this talk of michaiah. I'm not going to downvote, as i think that system is flawed, but she really does not sit well with a large majority of the fire emblem fanbase.

observe -

michaiah.png

spoilery explanation-

-is unfailingly gentle and soft-spoken
-is always willing to sacrifice herself to save others
-can read minds, see the future, and talk to animals
-is suddenly the love interest of established characters (Pelleas, Sothe)
-is the secret sister of another established character (Sanaki)
-is a secret princess (of Begnion)
-is the chosen of a goddess (Yune)
-becomes queen of a country that she is not the princess of (Daein) just because the people there love her so much
-has silver hair that everyone feels the need to point out
-fairly average in gameplay
-does some highly morally questionable actions in the name of Daein
-was called out on those highly morally questionable actions at that moment
-is Branded

I mean, don't get me wrong, lords are meant to be the "chosen one" in any given game, but it's generally agreed that with Michaiah it was turned up to 11 and just became obnoxious.

it's nice to think she presents a new way to play a FE character, but in the end this is a popularity contest. freaking Lilina (Hector's daughter, Roy's most probably canon love interest, "why aren't I a freaking lord") would be a better choice.

1361056228515.png

actually, yeah. i dig that.
imagine a repurposed pikachu's thunder for an elthunder attack, lucas's old PK fire for elfire and a modified ivysaur's razor leaf for elwind/excalibur/whatever the GBA FEs called wind magic. the graphic is exactly the same, just not spinning and stretched.

still, scratch built Lyndis all the way. She's more than justified for a spot here.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
But katanas are better packages!

The sooner Ridley and K. Rool become playable, the better. I really want the Smash community to get past these two characters already. :p
I don't think there's anything about King K Rool...

The other remaining characters are supposed to be
Dixie, Chorus Men, Ridley, and Mewtwo

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
i will fite you

but no seriously since then I've played his game with a proper translation patch. he's a cool guy, but man is he and most of his supporting cast completely screwed when it comes to their growth rates. his late promotion really doesn't help either.

Lyndis? "Bland?" surely you jest. she's iconic as the first lord the west got to play as in an actual Fire Emblem game. A young woman from the plains determined to avenge her family and tribe, who gets swept up in a petty battle with her granduncle over the inheritance of her family's house? she's one of the least typical lords of the fire emblem series. also, unless I'm mistaken, at the time of brawl's release, the only lord class to weild a bow.

also this talk of michaiah. I'm not going to downvote, as i think that system is flawed, but she really does not sit well with a large majority of the fire emblem fanbase.

observe -

View attachment 24046

spoilery explanation-

-becomes queen of a country that she is not the princess of (Daein) just because the people there love her so much
-is Branded

I mean, don't get me wrong, lords are meant to be the "chosen one" in any given game, but it's generally agreed that with Michaiah it was turned up to 11 and just became obnoxious.

it's nice to think she presents a new way to play a FE character, but in the end this is a popularity contest. freaking Lilina (Hector's daughter, Roy's most probably canon love interest, "why aren't I a freaking lord") would be a better choice.

View attachment 24047

imagine a repurposed pikachu's thunder for an elthunder attack, lucas's old PK fire for elfire and a modified ivysaur's razor leaf for elwind/excalibur/whatever the GBA FEs called wind magic. the graphic is exactly the same, just not spinning and stretched.

still, scratch built Lyndis all the way. She's more than justified for a spot here.
Lilina isn't elligible anyways.

And I don't know why people keep calling her Lyndis. Yes, I know that's her "original" name, but for all intents and purposes, she's been called Lyn. By her comrades. By the game itself. By Smash Bros Brawl. It's like calling Mark Twain "Samuel Clemens."

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Lilina isn't elligible anyways.

And I don't know why people keep calling her Lyndis. Yes, I know that's her "original" name, but for all intents and purposes, she's been called Lyn. By her comrades. By the game itself. By Smash Bros Brawl. It's like calling Mark Twain "Samuel Clemens."
Lilina.jpg

Lilina is a sticker in brawl, pretty sure she fits the criteria for CE character. regardless, I was joking about her.

as for Lyndis, It's not her "original" name, It's just her first name in full. Her full title would be "Lady Lyndis of Caelin". Brawl tends to gloss over details when it comes to some trophies.

FE wiki:
Lyndis (リンディス Rindisu), also known as Lyn (リン Rin, Lin in the Japanese version)...
The "Lyn" is more like calling someone by the name "Matt" when their first name is "Matthew".
she is referred to as both in her game. "Lyn" is more common, as she is not one for formalities, but, as an example, the character Sain uses "Lyndis" in conversation with her/about her constantly.

Last edited:

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
anyone who played awakening can tell you that either robins are pre-established characters that you can customize, but name and gender are the only things to have impact on the game. femrobin is quite a different PERSON from malerobin.
Not really. Consider these transcripts of the game here: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fire_Emblem:_Awakening_Scripts (obviously, massive spoilers)

Notice that the Avatar's dialogue is exactly the same, regardless of gender, in all story cutscenes. The only difference is in the support conversations, which makes sense since given the marriage system, characters react differently to men and women based on their gender. Even then, some of the support conversations are exactly the same for both versions of the avatar.

as for Lyndis, It's not her "original" name, It's just her first name in full. she is "Lady Lyndis of Caelin".
+1 Lady Lyndis of Caelin :troll:

Lady Lyndis of Caelin is one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters. I think Lady Lyndis of Caelin would be a good fit for PM.

(sorry, could not resist)

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Not really. Consider these transcripts of the game here: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fire_Emblem:_Awakening_Scripts (obviously, massive spoilers)

Notice that the Avatar's dialogue is exactly the same, regardless of gender, in all story cutscenes. The only difference is in the support conversations, which makes sense since given the marriage system, characters react differently to men and women based on their gender. Even then, some of the support conversations are exactly the same for both versions of the avatar.

+1 Lady Lyndis of Caelin :troll:

Lady Lyndis of Caelin is one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters. I think Lady Lyndis of Caelin would be a good fit for PM.

(sorry, could not resist)
i'm not set on debating the Robin debacle, as that is not really relevant here.

but okay, i see your point about Lyndis. I could have worded that better. edited.

MLGF

Smash Lord
But no on
i will fite you

Lyndis? "Bland?" surely you jest. she's iconic as the first lord the west got to play as in an actual Fire Emblem game. A young woman from the plains determined to avenge her family and tribe, who gets swept up in a petty battle with her granduncle over the inheritance of her family's house? she's one of the least typical lords of the fire emblem series. also, unless I'm mistaken, at the time of brawl's release, the only lord class to weild a bow.

observe -

View attachment 24046

spoilery explanation-

-is Branded

View attachment 24047

Welcome to classic FE. Play Thracia and call back. FE6 has no need for extreme growths because it's very base orientated and enemies on non hard modes aren't too strong. There's a lot of emphasis to use premotes like Echidna and use characters with great bases like Dieck and HM Rutger. Not saying it's default better, but it requires a different approach and I think it's sorta interesting. Puts the strategy in the SRPG.

And yes, Lyn is bland. Backstory and personality are two very different things. She becomes irrelevant after chapter 10, she's literally a tutorial lord and is then cut. Unique premise or not, she's a horrible unit with a very boring personality. Sure, you could argue that she's decent until her part is over. But after that she adds nothing and does nothing notable, it becomes about Eliwood/Hector. Both of which go through better growth then Lyn in her own mode. Not saying much.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27311

Seriously, if you're gonna talk FE smack, I'll fight back. I'm a serenes vet at this BS.

The Lyn vs out white haired mary sue debate is really annoying. Because yeah, Micaiah is pretty bad.

But at least she goes through self conflicts.
At least she remains important after part one.
At least characters interact with her in relevant ways to the main story.
At least she gets some good lines.
And at least her inability to survive two hits is mediated by staves.

Seriously out of all the FE characters, you try to defend Lyn. ****ing lol

*Edit* And Robin is **** too. But that's a story for another day.
Actually Awakening's story is ****. And its leads.

Just play Path of Radiance.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
But no on

Welcome to classic FE. Play Thracia and call back. FE6 has no need for extreme growths because it's very base orientated and enemies on non hard modes aren't too strong. There's a lot of emphasis to use premotes like Echidna and use characters with great bases like Dieck and HM Rutger. Not saying it's default better, but it requires a different approach and I think it's sorta interesting. Puts the strategy in the SRPG.

And yes, Lyn is bland. Backstory and personality are two very different things. She becomes irrelevant after chapter 10, she's literally a tutorial lord and is then cut. Unique premise or not, she's a horrible unit with a very boring personality. Sure, you could argue that she's decent until her part is over. But after that she adds nothing and does nothing notable, it becomes about Eliwood/Hector. Both of which go through better growth then Lyn in her own mode. Not saying much.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27311

Seriously, if you're gonna talk FE smack, I'll fight back. I'm a serenes vet at this BS.

The Lyn vs out white haired mary sue debate is really annoying. Because yeah, Micaiah is pretty bad.

But at least she goes through self conflicts.
At least she remains important after part one.
At least characters interact with her in relevant ways to the main story.
At least she gets some good lines.
And at least her inability to survive two hits is mediated by staves.

Seriously out of all the FE characters, you try to defend Lyn. ****ing lol

*Edit* And Robin is **** too. But that's a story for another day.
Actually Awakening's story is ****. And it's leads.

Just play Path of Radiance.
I.. okay. Well. I can admit when I've been told.

first off, i'd like to comment that genealogy is something else I'm trying to play at the moment and that old school FE is not completley unknown to me.

as for FE7. yes, it was my first fire emblem, I know it lacks several mechanics from previous games of the series, a consistent story and that the tone of it was shifted from what it once involved to suit to a general audience - you can easily put all these down to the need to consider the western localization. not that that excuses the general dumbing down, something that was repeated with awakening. it is, however, still a noteworthy part of FE as the first western release, and at least a decent starting point for anyone interested in the series. I still liked Lyndis throughout the game, and though I agree she's a huge third wheel past her own story and seldom even lends a "well I think..." or anything to that effect in conversations, I can't agree that she's a horrible unit. I've always got some use for her as a glass cannon (besides perhaps the last chapter, Sol Katti be damned...).

She's still better received than Michaiah. this is the only point I will argue.

wholeheartedly agreed on awakening though. and path of radiance is fun, have to remember where I'm up to on that...

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Someone admits defeat on the internet?
Well, holy ****. I feel like a jackass now. Sorry about being kinda brutal.

And yes, the older FE's were much more prone to experiment, I actually find them so intriguing because every game wanted to do something different. And it wasn't a gimmick like the multi-lord thing as games relied on them (FE4 was built around marriage and the game enforces that by making maps so huge units are bound to stay close by) Argue all you want, but it makes the older FE's wicked memorable because none of them are the same.

As for Lyn being a bad unit... well she gets 2HKO'd by almost everything and the game has a ton of lances. She lacks Eliwoods defenses or Guy's crazy HP (and his offense is about on par with Lyn too). So Lyn is really invalidated because a lot of units do what she does better.

As for being better then Michaiah, eh. I won't touch this, I think being kinda suish is better then just being a tutorial lord in a game with a horrible tutorial.

choodles

Smash Rookie
I'd like to throw in a +1 for Raichu, as a replacement from Pichu in Melee. Just like Pichu, he'd be an easier character to create (Pika clone), but since Pichu is a very controversial character choice this might be a good way to bring him back in spirit and to satisfy more people. I'm definitely biased but it doesn't seem like a bad choice at the very least.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Someone admits defeat on the internet?
Well, holy ****. I feel like a ******* now. Sorry about being kinda brutal.

And yes, the older FE's were much more prone to experiment, I actually find them so intriguing because every game wanted to do something different. And it wasn't a gimmick like the multi-lord thing as games relied on them (FE4 was built around marriage and the game enforces that by making maps so huge units are bound to stay close by) Argue all you want, but it makes the older FE's wicked memorable because none of them are the same.

As for Lyn being a bad unit... well she gets 2HKO'd by almost everything and the game has a ton of lances. She lacks Eliwoods defenses or Guy's crazy HP (and his offense is about on par with Lyn too). So Lyn is really invalidated because a lot of units do what she does better.

As for being better then Michaiah, eh. I won't touch this, I think being kinda suish is better then just being a tutorial lord in a game with a horrible tutorial.
I really dont understand your problem with lyn, how good the unit is shouldnt mean anything in smash bros, ex. Roy. if you have seen "lyn does what" you know that she can pretty much take on anything except the flame dragon, tho elixirs exist. She is not just a tutorial lord, she, hector, and eliwood are all part of the story. All FE tutorials are horrible so I dont get what the big deal is about that. My point is her moveset brings the hype. And thats what the PMDV wants. Michiah wont be a 1:1 Zelda. Honestly her moveset feels like it could be campy like if its just pure ranged magic. And she could take up alot of work for a moveset that might not be worth making, I could go on and on what makes an FE good/bad like how FE 6 isnt noob friendly but the route the enemy over and over ala awakening (waifu emblem) was a problem, and that final boss lol.... RD had some problems too as did FE 7 which is why I still think the older Fes are still the best ones. And yet I still consider Fe 7 better than the modern ones with POR a close second... even tho ike pretty much takes the strategy out.
I really dont wanna defend awakening but, IS took components from SS FE 4 etc. The only problem was the direction they took in the game to make it casual friendly/animuesque.

Anyway im rambling, shes up there with ridley and Isaac for a reason, not because of "muh waifu" or "muh Fe casual". Its because of her dynamic moveset not just generic sword slashes like everyone immediately assumes, (she has a bow also....) and how memorable the character still is, if she was just a "tutorial lord" like you said, then why is she so popular? Typing this on my phone was annoying to do so i might not reply, wanted to put this out there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom