• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Sami would actually be easier than Andy to build using Snake as a model. Andy would need a wrench-based moveset to be faithful to the character. A faithful Andy would probably tend closer to Link than Snake.
I see Snake's Forward Smash transitioning well into a wrench bash personally, I guess that's why I saw it that way. Also, I could see Andy having more of Snakes explosive moves while Sami uses a modification of his new Side B, like a short burst of gunfire (sort of similar to Sheik's needles). I would just like to see Sami have a moveset that is reminds us of her Infantry based strategies in AW.

Andy doesn't need too many moves that use his wrench, probably F.Tilt, U.Tilt, and F.Smash. But, I don't see him having a crawl or Snake's grab game, which would look more natural on Sami than Andy. That's my biggest "technical" reason for preferring Sami over Andy.

SunJester

Smash Ace
Isaac is definitely my #1 pick, so if this leak is true, I'm quite happy.

Skull Kid is hype, and I'm not that fussy about any of the other picks.

(Though I'm a little sad that the PMBR didn't go with my suggestion of the Elite Beat Agents.)

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
For those who are interested, here are the most recent stats for the supposedly leaked 5, after 240 votes:

Isaac: 126 full votes, 23 half votes, 10 anti votes. Total score: 127.5. 93.7% support.

Lyn: 80 full votes, 24 half votes, 22 anti votes. Total score: 70. 82.5% support

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
What if this leak was an elaborate scheme by the PMBR to get feedback on the leaked characters?

Last edited:

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
To be honest, I don't consider MK to be a swordsman the same way I consider Marth/Roy/Link/Ike. His range doesn't even come close to that of the usual Smash sword character, bar fsmash. Of course, he is holding a blade, but he doesn't play like the typical sword-wielder, well at least for me.
I don't know anything about FE, but what if Lyn played like a similar close-range swordsman? Her attacks would come out extremely fast, even more so than Marth, but would require you to be highly precise and spot-on. Would this make sense with her character?

Also, typing on a phone takes a ****load of time.
Do you know how big MKs sword is? It's kind of ridiculous.

Last edited:

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
While they are stubby, they dooooooo technically extend further than Marth's (when not in a fist)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I still find it strange if the leak is true that they'd opt for any Sonic characters, especially considering the poll results.

Who knows though, maybe they wanted to try and appeal to everyone, while still taking sheer popularity into account for some (which in terms of percentages at least three of them certainly have.)

Still though, I maintain that Knuckles is the least objectionable choice, and since all I've gotten from most of my friends who are very anti "Super Smash SONIC SONIC SONIC" is "Yeah, ok." I think it's a fine choice.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It's important to bear in mind that fan projects by nature require team members to have a personal interest in their work. If team members aren't motivated to work on the project, nothing will get done. If the leak is true, Knuckles likely has some fans on the team who are willing to do the necessary work to implement him.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's important to bear in mind that fan projects by nature require team members to have a personal interest in their work. If team members aren't motivated to work on the project, nothing will get done. If the leak is true, Knuckles likely has some fans on the team who are willing to do the necessary work to implement him.
That's true. If no one on the team liked any of the top choices, I doubt we'd even see them, or anyone.

Considering the number of fans Knuckles has amidst people in the 20-28 age group, I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a couple members of the PMBR who liked him enough to put the work in. By that same token, despite being a late entry, Skull Kid is the antagonist from one of the most interesting and hardcore fan beloved Zelda games of all time, and his disconfirmation from Smash 4 (despite having minimal chances in the first place) perhaps motivated the change in direction for certain members of the PMBR.

That is of course if the leak is true, but right now that's all we've got to work with, so.

Bleck

Smash Master
"Who cares if nobody wants it, we're gonna jam a goddamn Sonic character in there!"

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
"Who cares if nobody wants it, we're gonna jam a goddamn Sonic character in there!"
>implying no one wants another sonic character.

Honestly I don't think they would put in another sonic character either.

I wouldn't mind Shadow though.

Ginge

Smash Ace
The poll doesn't lie about the opinions of people who post in this thread. It is far from a representative list of the entire group of players of the mod.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm not entirely sure this thread is wholly representative of the people who would want new characters. I think they're just trying to honor the thread while still trying to appeal to those outside of it, who might have other tastes.

And if you wanna get technical, Knuckles did have 33% support, so I don't think no one wants him. :shades:

MLGF

Smash Lord
True, but relative to his size it's an amazing weapon that covers a lot of him.
He kinda reminds me of MvsC3 Zero in that way, his sword isn't huge, but it covers so much around him that it's still insanely good.
Plus, it's not like his moves have bad hitboxes anyways.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I know you're joking but he still has 15 full votes.

:joyful:

Also I think knuckles deserves to be in. We have to save him from Sonic Boom.
PM. It has the power, the community and the developers. We can save Knuckles.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
True, but relative to his size it's an amazing weapon that covers a lot of him.
He kinda reminds me of MvsC3 Zero in that way, his sword isn't huge, but it covers so much around him that it's still insanely good.
Plus, it's not like his moves have bad hitboxes anyways.
It's also insanely fast. Even in PM, MK is a ridiculously good character. Imagine the damage he could do if he had Marth range.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
If the leak ends up being true, I'm sad that the PMBR is going out of their way to give Sonic another rep but not Metal Gear. While everyone wanted Sami in as a Snake clone, I always thought Liquid Snake or Raiden would be better choices for that role.

If the reason Sami is filling that niche is so that Advance Wars may be represented, I wouldn't mind too much, I guess. Just a little, because it means the PMBR is enacting another Ganondorf--a brand new character that's just a clone of a character from a completely different franchise. Which to this day still bugs a lot of people, myself included.

But if the character's good, I guess I'll play her anyway, like how I'm still ticked that Ganondorf wound up a clone but used him anyway since he was easier to use for me compared to Captain Falcon.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If the leak ends up being true, I'm sad that the PMBR is going out of their way to give Sonic another rep but not Metal Gear. While everyone wanted Sami in as a Snake clone, I always thought Liquid Snake or Raiden would be better choices for that role.

If the reason Sami is filling that niche is so that Advance Wars may be represented, I wouldn't mind too much, I guess. Just a little, because it means the PMBR is enacting another Ganondorf--a brand new character that's just a clone of a character from a completely different franchise. Which to this day still bugs a lot of people, myself included.

But if the character's good, I guess I'll play her anyway, like how I'm still ticked that Ganondorf wound up a clone but used him anyway since he was easier to use for me compared to Captain Falcon.
I'm less bothered by Sami being a Snake clone because at least that moveset makes alot of sense for her. Missiles, grenades, C4, stuff you'd expect a character like her to have access to.

Unlike Ganondorf sharing Captain Falcon's moveset. Yes, he's a big guy. Does he have a history of fighting with his fists? Not really.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm less bothered by Sami being a Snake clone because at least that moveset makes alot of sense for her. Missiles, grenades, C4, stuff you'd expect a character like her to have access to.

Unlike Ganondorf sharing Captain Falcon's moveset. Yes, he's a big guy. Does he have a history of fighting with his fists? Not really.
I see your point (which is frankly EVERYONE'S point) about Sami, but it's just in my eyes Raiden or Liquid would still be more appropriate. But to each their own, I guess.

EDIT: and as I stressed, I'd still probably play as her anyway, even if I'm totally fine with Project M Snake.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion

Does Captain Falcon?

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
+1
Sukapon
Waluigi
Ridley
King K. Rool
+1/2
Pig Ganon
Paper Mario

The Big Game
Ridley is, unfortunately, probably one of the most difficult characters to animate, so hopefully the BR are as big of fans as those polled. With wings, toes, semi-bipedal limbs, a tail, a mouth, and an elbow on his neck, no other character comes close to him anatomically, and tools and experience for animating humanoids won’t be entirely applicable. In terms of personality, Charizard and Bowser’s animations fit the best, and he could use some of their Brawl animations that are different, but their stubby legs would need to be adapted. They both also have mouths and tails, and Charizard has wings (although his are actually very different from Ridley’s), but they have weird default rotations and I’m unaware of any easy way to accommodate both characters as well as Ridley’s (and Meta Ridley’s) boss animations. Ridley would probably need to be rerigged regardless. Mewtwo’s animations might also fit in some places, with the tail, flying, and normal-length limbs.
In most cases, Ridley could just stick with folded neck and wings and closed mouth to simplify animations. Going by the idea that smaller parts are less noticeable, and thus need less detail, it’s convenient that Ridley’s tail can contract and curl, and 2D Ridley has tiny wings (which, just as in the 2D games, would also be helpfully less obstructive). One could even go so far as to make folded wings and contracted tail as separate models, the way some facial expressions are. All that would also decrease the amount of room he takes up, allowing him to be even bigger.

Another (poor) argument against playable Ridley would be the question of what happens to the boss. Nothing has to happen. This is Smash, we can have 8 Mario’s at the same time now. If the size difference is a complaint, he could just be renamed “Giant Ridley.” Or, he could be replaced with the Ridley clone, or Omega Ridley, or Ridley X, or Zero Mission’s Ridley robot, or even something like DK64’s Dogadon.

Unique Potential

Size: The largest character bar Giga Bowser, and add on to that the range his long neck and stretchy tail provide. On the topic of his tail, despite it being invincible in Metroid, that may not be best balance-wise for PM. Of course, that could not be the case depending on how the moves are designed. If they don’t actually cover a huge area or if they had wet-noodle-sourspots then an invincible tail might work.
Being at an extreme of course would make him a unique addition, but it also makes balancing difficult (hopefully not too much so). Despite his size, his lithe figure means a medium or even light weight would be reasonable. He could also be even bigger if his idle were on all fours as in the Primes, or squatting like in Super, although it would mean more work to transition with actions taken from Charizard or Bowser.
I think Angelglory’s (video and image) and BaganSmashBros's (thread) stuff shows off how well a playable Ridley could work, but it also highlights that if such a big character (especially when stretched out) has a gliding dash then he would need an actual turning animation, and need to have one of the fastest dashes in the game, or else he looks awkward. For the turn, he could land then push off the ground (a la Diddy), or could do a loopy-corkscrew maneuver. If a more moderate speed is desired, he could just not glide, or he could have a slow leap forward for initial dash, before actually taking off into a fast gliding run, so his average speed for the average trip is more average.
Actually, it’s only proper for him to be more agile in the air than on the ground. Being a fast-faller as well would increase his vertical mobility, further set him apart from most other aerial characters, suit his personality, and, combined with his size, make him the king of combo fodder. Overall, I think it would be fitting for his character and fun to watch and play as and against if Ridley accommodated playstyles ranging from a giant fast-falling Jigglypuff to a multi-jumping Falcon with a bad dash-dance.

Pogo Tail: The wonderful thing about Ridley, is Ridley has wonderful moves… What else could Ridley’s dair be but his signature attack? Similar to Link’s dair, but does not bounce off opponents; instead, it bounces off the ground if Ridley lands while the hitbox is still out. Actually, imagine this:
Ridley has the highest aerial top speed and acceleration in the game, with two or three very-high aerial jumps, a very-high terminal velocity, but a regular-high gravity (whatever’s necessary to give him a bit of hang time but still be super comboable). Overall, this would provide him with superb mobility in the air, but with a catch…
It’s not just that he’s not-so-great on the ground, with a power-level more in line with Melee Link than Brawl Link. The real killers are the transitions. I’m talking 8+ frame jump-squat and neutral-landing, 17+ for L-cancelled aerials, and RIP if he lands from Up-B.
Of course, with all this, Ridley would have to make the most out of edge tricks and, despite much preferring the air, might decide to spend some time grounded if only to avoid the danger of jumping. But the real fun comes in with the Pogo Tail.
The way I imagine it is if Pogo Tail were Dair, although one might argue it’d be better as a special move. Once the input is made, there’s a relatively long startup as Ridley spins his tail, then he stabs it downward, then keeps it extended for a while, then finally retracts during cooldown. There’s a strong hitbox on the tip once it fully stabs and while it’s extended, with a weak one on the rest of the tail. The idea here would be that Ridley couldn’t just drift into someone to get the strong hit: he’d either need to space out the stab’s tip a la Marth’s spike, or take the dangerous/difficult route of trying to fall directly on the enemy while it’s extended.
His landing point would be tied to the tail during much of the move, and if he lands while his tail is extended it springs him back into the air with just enough lag/height to do it again. This action would restore his jumps, but he'd be immobile on the ground for fewer frames than landing then jumping, with the added benefit of slight protection via a weak hitbox on the tip of his tail, which could even combo (with poor SDI) into a rising hit that is very strong on the tail-tip and weak on the rest of his body.
However, it would be a situational technique. He’d have to have enough time before landing for the twirl to execute (which would also telegraph his intentions), he’d have to be high enough that the initial stab (which stretches a bit farther than he subsequently keeps it) doesn’t cause him to land, and he’d have to make sure to land before the cooldown starts (which still keeps his tail, hence landing point, fairly low for a while). If he does accidentally land at the wrong point he not only doesn’t get the Pogo, but he’s put into his long-lasting Dair landlag, which he probably didn’t expect hence didn’t L-cancel. Moreover, it would carry the risk that, if the Pogo is interrupted for any reason, then he loses all his jumps regardless of what he had before (as well as possibly stuff like ledge invincibility, glide, non-decayed AGT, etc.).
I think it sounds cool.

Scrape: From Brawl itself, and later Other M. Could be used as a moving throw, like Pika & Sonic’s bthrow’s, except the only forward one (if you don’t count DK or Melee Kirby).

Wall Cling: As in Prime 3 and Other M. Having multiple jumps might actually make it something useful. He probably wouldn’t need a wall jump, though.

Turns Red: A classic boss ability: the closer they are to death, the harder they get to fight. The Metroid series being such a prolific user of the technique, it’s an appropriate ability for Ridley. Of course, this was already attempted in Brawl’s Lucario, which we can treat as a learning experience. The primary issues expressed are that it rewards Lucario for getting hit, that Lucario never really has a complete moveset at any one time, that it makes Lucario’s capabilities ambiguous and inconsistent, and that it encourages Lucario to camp.
The most important improvement is implementing the mechanic not as a character-defining gimmick, but as a special property that all his Specials just happen to share. His bread-and-butter gameplay is always available, and is in fact unaffected (IE, not improved) by damage; being at higher percent simply unlocks extra options and widens the viability of niche options. Thus, to get the most of them, the player must know how to use these options creatively, and know when not to use them, adding extra layers of depth. To illustrate this ideal, think of what having a super available does to Lucario, or how adding QAC has affected Pikachu.
An additional fix is for the differences to work on thresholds, not gradients. This would allow certainty for both Ridley and his opponent as to where Ridley stands. Different attacks could all work on the same scale or they could each increment separately, although fewer thresholds means simpler to parse, so a small number is probably best. The way I see, there are three different ranges a threshold could fall in:
  • Rarely not reached, ~50%. Wouldn’t his early percent just be forfeit? Why not just spawn with the abilities? It could apply psychological pressure on the opponent; despite Red not being super important, just the fact that it’s there could cause the opponent to focus that much more on getting a gimp or maintaining momentum past the threshold, driving extra style and possibly causing them to overextend, either way equating to hype for spectators. On the other hand, Ridley’s forced to start out with the basics, restricted to core strategies, much like his boss battles. Basically, it all comes down to flavor, which is really the point.
  • Split even, ~100%. Wouldn’t it then be overly character dependant whether Ridley reaches this point? What of balance? The Red really shouldn’t be that polarizing; it should make a difference, but stay within acceptable levels – not enough to change an otherwise even matchup to a soft counter just because a character can kill 10% earlier. The abilities gained shouldn’t really make the fight easier, just handier. And really, matchup variety is the spice of new characters.
  • Rarely reached, ~150%. Wouldn’t it pointless be if it’s never used? How does one balance something that rarely happens? Putting something this late would make it something that can’t be relied on, that will only come about in exceptional circumstances with good DI. Since Ridley shouldn’t be relying on it, but using it as a supplement to more fundamental play, that’s a good thing. And of course, never showing up makes it that much more clutch when it does show up, and is used intelligently to steamroll into the lead (or a four-stock, if it’s that kind of match).
Overall, turning Red should not seem like Ridley is rewarded for getting hit, but rather rewarded for surviving getting hit and turning it around to get his own hits in. Just being in a Melee environment, where a hit can mean a stock, should help with that; Ridley can’t reliably just wait out his own health until he reaches a desired percent without putting his whole life on the line, and the potential gain from capitalizing on his own opportunities should entice him away from trying (besides, with his size, there’s no real place to hide). The bonuses themselves should not hand Ridley the advantage in the match, but make him more dangerous if he manages to seize it himself.

Pickups: As a little reference to the Metroid trope, Ridley’s projectiles could leave behind Food when clanked. Could be reserved for when Items are turned on (if it’s otherwise too silly) or when Ridley is Red (so the opponent can get something out of it, too).

Example Specials

Neutral-B, Fireball: Being the third Mario brother, he’s gotta have it. Ridley hawks up a purple fireball in an arc and, like G&W’s Chef, can continue to spew a series of quick, weak shots by tapping B, each fireball in a series launched in a different, nonrandom angle. The fireballs explode, dealing some real knockback, upon contact with a floor/wall/ceiling.
During the move, Ridley has lower gravity and terminal velocity (maintaining horizontal momentum but losing the ability to change it), so it can be used to throw off enemies’ timing and to rain flaming death upon them. To make firing a full series more viable, Ridley can jump out of its endlag if in the air.
Possible Red changes.
  • Bigger fireballs.
  • Bigger blast radius.
  • More fireballs in a series, each at new angles. Of course, this would mean it can’t be jump canceled as soon, and certain other angles might not be as readily available (if a new angle is added before an old in the series), but that just means Ridley can’t start trying to camp.
  • After exploding, they leave behind a flame much like fire arrows, but which deal continual damage instead of disappearing after one hit.

Down-B, Plasma Beam: From his time as Meta & Omega Ridley. If the Warlock Punch sacrifices speed for power relative to the Falcon Punch, the plasmaed sacrifices speed for range. After a couple seconds startup as Ridley inhales, he fires what is basically a horizontal Solar Beam. A character with such aerial prowess may not really need an attack so safe and effective against distant offstage enemies, so it could be hampered by vertical knockback and damage scaling down with distance.
Possible Red changes.
  • Thicker beam.
  • Lower knockback angle.
  • Decreased damage scaling.
  • More active frames.
  • Hitboxes/armor on Ridley’s body during the beam.
  • Causes Ridley to overheat (literally turning red) for a few seconds afterward, which increases the damage and knockback of his attacks, as well as adding convection hitboxes around attacking limbs and in the path of swipes.

Side-B, Snatch: Based on Ridley’s proclivity for grabbing Samus (particularly Super’s kamikaze), and Prime’s stomp attack. Ridley hovers in place and gropes forward with his hind claws. The move cancels out all horizontal and vertical momentum, and he does not resume falling until the grabbox disappears; this gives him another way to throw off enemies and assert aerial dominance, but it nearly precludes the attack as an approach and in general makes it require precision to land.
Upon contact, Ridley clutches the opponent as he quickly flies upward (with horizontal influence), then rapidly descends to crush the enemy underfoot (or into the blastzone). Basically, it’s Brawl Bowser’s Side-B.
Possible Red changes.
  • Faster throw, so the opponent has less time to react.
  • Higher throw, so it can travel farther and reach more platforms.
  • The ability to fall through fall-through platforms.
  • Throughout throw, explosions appear around Ridley and the victim, damaging both of them and anything/anyone nearby.
  • By holding B and aiming, Ridley rushes forward during the grab at an angle between horizontal and 24° downward, going into special fall if he misses.

Up-B, Gravity Boost: Because coming up with recoveries for flying characters is hard. In the air, Ridley performs a single strong flap, creating a windbox that pushes in the opposite direction to how the control stick is aimed. Ridley himself is propelled as aimed; if horizontal or lower it transitions into a glide, otherwise it goes into special fall. I’m not actually certain that nongliding characters can yet (or feasibly ever) given a real glide, and there are no gliders with a command grab, so… uh…
On the ground, Ridley performs a single quick flap, creating a windbox in front of himself that pushes away. This could be used to mess up an opponent’s approach, or out of shield to repel pressure.
Possible Red changes.
  • Wind deals damage.
  • Higher angle from which Ridley can glide.
  • On the ground, Ridley can hold backwards to be pushed backwards.
  • In the air, Ridley is followed by a wake of backwards-pushing wind.
  • The wind gains a Cape effect.

Opinions
I’m firmly against usage of the Other M design, for a few reasons:
  • It’s not the iconic appearance fans know Ridley for.
  • It’s a reminder of a game that should be forgotten.
  • It’s not Ridley; it’s just some clone.
  • It doesn’t fit with the rest of the art-style; it’s too pointy, too glossy, and clashes with SM Samus.
  • It’s ugly.

The manner in which Ridley appears in Super Metroid (first his eyes, then the rest) would make a great entrance.

Thanks again for reading. Even if the future is already settled, it's still fun to write these, and feels good to get out there.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Holy hot damn. I think that brought a tear to my eye. :sadeyes:

Anyone who thinks that adding Ridley would just be pandering to his fans can shove it up their bum after reading that delicious morsel.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Does Captain Falcon?
No, but you have to take into account that he didn't have a lot to work with since he spent all his time in a car, so he had to be reimagined for Smash. Ganondorf DID have a lot to work with though, which is what baffled so many Zelda fans who played him. So much imagination could've been implemented into his character, and he wound up a clone of Captain Falcon.

I know your stance on this issue, so I'll just present my point as is and leave it at that.

P.S. plus if people want to get really liberal with the "But Ganondorf is shown using his fists in the Zelda games sometimes" argument, okay, fine, but I'll just ask you this: why give him a punch like a Falcon Punch as his neutral-B specifically? Why give him a kick that functions pretty darn similarly to a Falcon Kick as his down-B? Just, if he's such a great fistfighter and kickboxer, why isn't he his OWN fistfighter and kickboxer?

So yeah, those arguments bug me, along with the"Triforce of Power" argument. Ganon's moveset didn't have to be reflective of the Triforce, you know, just look at Link--using projectiles to hurt people from afar a lot isn't exactly as courageous as people think, he's that way because he had a lot of moveset potential with his iconic items. If Sakurai read about what his Triforce meant and decided that he's going to make a risk-reward Link that applauded his players for trying lots of risky things, we'd end up with someone completely different from the Link we all know and love here in Smash.

Again, I'm not trying to directly attack any of Falcondorf's supporters since I can see why they like Ganon for reasons other than the ones I countered.

...this turned out to be a long postscript, actually :p.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
"But Ganondorf is shown using his fists in the Zelda games sometimes" argument,
Before Twilight Princess, which was after Ganon's introduction to Smash, the guy barely ever used anything but magic (or one weapon or another) to fight. The only examples of him doing so would be within cutscenes, or, if you were being a douche about it, his Earthquake Punch from OoT (which wasn't a direct attack on Link). Anyone who uses/used said argument is quite the silly bugger. :urg:

Hell, Ganondorf himself wasn't even introduced (on-screen) until OoT, and he only uses physical attacks in that game as Ganon. Ganondorf was only in one game before his appearance in Melee, so I think it's safe to say that Sakurai took a looooooooooooooooot of liberties making him a Falcon clone.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Before Twilight Princess, which was after Ganon's introduction to Smash, the guy barely ever used anything but magic (or one weapon or another) to fight. The only examples of him doing so would be within cutscenes, or, if you were being a douche about it, his Earthquake Punch from OoT (which wasn't a direct attack on Link). Anyone who uses/used said argument is quite the silly bugger. :urg:
The one time that he did in WW, he was very specifically trying not to kill Link, so that's a pretty silly example, as well.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I like playing Ganon. I don't want Ganon with a different moveset. The most influential incarnation of Ganon to me as a player is his incarnation in Smash. Would it be fair to me, being a Smash Bros. fan, if someone changed his moveset based on games I don't care about? The popular argument is it's not fair to Zelda fans, but would it be fair to Smash fans like me?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

No offense to Metal Gear, but putting in a second Metal Gear rep over somebody from Advance Wars would be pretty awful. AW has had rough enough treatment in Smash as is.

I don't think anybody expecting newcomers to be nigh-exact clones is giving the PMBR enough credit.

Even if Sami did end up playing very similarly to Snake, as Banjodorf observed a moveset similar to Snake's actually makes a great deal of sense for Sami.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
@ arcticfox8 arcticfox8
I personally don't care. :laugh: Ganon's moveset has become a part of his character at this point. I can understand where people wanting him to change are coming from, of course, but I don't see it as entirely necessary. If anything, the guy just needs a few more magic attacks, like his earthquake punch and a lightning bolt or two, but I'd leave that to Sakurai and Smash 4 rather than the Backroom.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I like playing Ganon. I don't want Ganon with a different moveset. The most influential incarnation of Ganon to me as a player is his incarnation in Smash. Would it be fair to me, being a Smash Bros. fan, if someone changed his moveset based on games I don't care about? The popular argument is it's not fair to Zelda fans, but would it be fair to Smash fans like me?
Let's all just blame Sakurai. He's the one who pulled the crap in the first place. Should've been Black Shadow in that game with that moveset. He was even next to Captain Falcon on the CSS!

Having said that, the moveset has grown on me, but I'd still like to have Canondorf in some form.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Let's all just blame Sakurai. He's the one who pulled the crap in the first place. Should've been Black Shadow in that game with that moveset. He was even next to Captain Falcon on the CSS!

Having said that, the moveset has grown on me, but I'd still like to have Canondorf in some form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom