• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Well, it wasn't a true starfox game, the combat was really simplistic, it pretty much ripped off OOT, had no replay value, and it wasn't very challenging, but other than that I thought it was okay.
While I have yet to play Stairfax Temperatures, your complaints can, in a way, apply to Ocarina of Time. The combat was just lock on, circle left or right, and spam the jump attack. Every now and then you had to use an item instead, but not really for the most part.

Aside from the Gold Skulltilla tokens (which, when all 100 were collected, did NOTHING useful because you didn't need that much money so far into the game anyway), the game had little replay value as well, aside from doing the Fire, Water, and Shadow Temples in any order you wanted.

Ocarina of Time is challenging ONCE--in the fight against Bongo Bongo. Everything else was peaches and cream compared to Zelda 1, Zelda 2, and A Link to the Past.

#shotsfired

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
While I have yet to play Stairfax Temperatures, your complaints can, in a way, apply to Ocarina of Time. The combat was just lock on, circle left or right, and spam the jump attack. Every now and then you had to use an item instead, but not really for the most part.

Aside from the Gold Skulltilla tokens (which, when all 100 were collected, did NOTHING useful because you didn't need that much money so far into the game anyway), the game had little replay value as well, aside from doing the Fire, Water, and Shadow Temples in any order you wanted.

Ocarina of Time is challenging ONCE--in the fight against Bongo Bongo. Everything else was peaches and cream compared to Zelda 1, Zelda 2, and A Link to the Past.

#shotsfired
Difference is that Legend of Zelda is a puzzle solving adventure game first and foremost while Starfox adventures attempted to do this in a manner that didn't quite work as well as Zelda. The only Zelda games where combat may of been an actual focus is Skyward Sword and possibly Zelda II. I say possibly because I haven't played it.

You know, the way that Ocarina was structured made it interesting to replay despite knowing exactly what happened. However, I never got that feeling from Starfox adventures. Never did I have a feeling that just made me say "Man, I really want to replay Starfox Adventures! I really did enjoy that game!" Now Ocarina of time just felt intuitive. It played nicely, it was paced nicely, the story was good for this game, and it was fun and interesting to play through. Starfox Adventures had it's moments but the only real thing that I liked about it more than Ocarina of time was the attacks you could do with the staff. Everything else fell short.

Difficulty of each individual monster/game tend to vary from person to person. A Link to the past was not difficult nor as difficult as Ocarina of time which itself wasn't difficult either.

#BodyVest
#Can'tLetYouDoThatStarFox
#OcarinaOfTimeIsDaBes

MLGF

Smash Lord
TP has great combat, but the final boss *SPOILERS, IT'S GANONDORF* does like, half a heart each attack. The puzzles do somewhat get tougher, combat is just too easy.

Damn game needed a hero mode.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
If this is still taking votes...

Up (in no particular order):
Knuckles (I was going to vote Tails, but I figured Knuckles would be more fun to play as well as watch in P:M, so he took the spot)
Dixie
Isaac
Toad
Ephraim/Eirika/Micaiah (see below)

Down:
Lyn (another slash-fest FE character. Why not someone who can bring something else to the table? Ephraim/Eirika could provide a poke or stab based style of play with their spear/rapier respectively and Micaiah could be another magic type character, hopefully with less camping -*ahem* ZONING- involved than Zelda. Micaiah and Eirika are female to boot, also. I get that Lyn could get a lot out of being a clone, but that's what Roy is for, and the point about Zelda made me realise that Micaiah could just be a Zelda clone if we're looking for clone characters specifically. If we are to have another Fire Emblem character, they need to be new and different.)
Ridley (why would I want to play as Ridley?)

Cry myself to sleep at night for they will never be added:
Banjo & Kazooie

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I'm not gonna go through 210 pages to check, but I'm surprised no one has recommended an original character designed by the PMBR themselves. Just wanna throw a few things out there...

We still have one brawl character missing - the Pokemon trainer
Other than pichu, I don't think anybody wants, and I don't believe we need yet another pokemon character
I've seen at least one or two playable trainer mods on brawl vault, so I know it's doable.

Rather than have him be the Pokemon trainer tho, we give him a total makeover and a new name, slap the Project M logo on the back of his jacket, switch the pokeball for a smash ball maybe or remove it entirely, and clone capt. Falcon or snake.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you.....MELEE STU!!!

(My personal suggestion would be to craft a moveset based around all the ridiculous anime character suggestions 12 year olds throw out - it wouldn't be violating copyright because it would be a parody :) )

Has anybody else thought of this? What do you think of the idea? Anybody wanna draw a mockup for me?

SvenFletcher

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2165-7173-1188
Up:
Waluigi
Isaac
King K.Rool
Toad
Knuckles

Down:
Ridley (If you take away his size, you take away his character. Making him the same size as Bowser makes him look really scrawny and it takes away any impact that he would have.)

Half-vote:
Bowser Jr.
Dark Samus
Dixie Kong
Pichu

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna go through 210 pages to check, but I'm surprised no one has recommended an original character designed by the PMBR themselves. Just wanna throw a few things out there...

We still have one brawl character missing - the Pokemon trainer
Other than pichu, I don't think anybody wants, and I don't believe we need yet another pokemon character
I've seen at least one or two playable trainer mods on brawl vault, so I know it's doable.

Rather than have him be the Pokemon trainer tho, we give him a total makeover and a new name, slap the Project M logo on the back of his jacket, switch the pokeball for a smash ball maybe or remove it entirely, and clone capt. Falcon or snake.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you.....MELEE STU!!!

(My personal suggestion would be to craft a moveset based around all the ridiculous anime character suggestions 12 year olds throw out - it wouldn't be violating copyright because it would be a parody :) )

Has anybody else thought of this? What do you think of the idea? Anybody wanna draw a mockup for me?
we actually did talk about it a while ago, and im pretty sure the consensus was that it was the worst idea ever to do that, more people would be in favor of Pichu than that

EDIT: Welcome to the boards

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
If this is still taking votes...

Up (in no particular order):
Knuckles (I was going to vote Tails, but I figured Knuckles would be more fun to play as well as watch in P:M, so he took the spot)
Dixie
Isaac
Toad
Ephraim/Eirika/Micaiah (see below)

Down:
Lyn (another slash-fest FE character. Why not someone who can bring something else to the table? Ephraim/Eirika could provide a poke or stab based style of play with their spear/rapier respectively and Micaiah could be another magic type character, hopefully with less camping -*ahem* ZONING- involved than Zelda. Micaiah and Eirika are female to boot, also. I get that Lyn could get a lot out of being a clone, but that's what Roy is for, and the point about Zelda made me realise that Micaiah could just be a Zelda clone if we're looking for clone characters specifically. If we are to have another Fire Emblem character, they need to be new and different.)
Ridley (why would I want to play as Ridley?)

Cry myself to sleep at night for they will never be added:
Banjo & Kazooie
Choose one (Ephraim/Eirika/Micaiah). You can half vote the rest.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
My up votes (in order of my preference, #1 having most priority for me):
1) Skull Kid
2) Sora (Kingdom Hearts)*
3) Isaac
4) Sami
5) Dark Samus

*I'm not sure what the general consensus is about Sora, but I think he's quite popular (though would require a lot of work) and I was surprised not to see him listed in the opening post. This might mean that I've misunderstood a rule, or looked past another reason why he isn't viable, so, if that's the case, please let me know (and also: my apologies if that's the case). If Sora isn't viable, then I'd like to put Lyn on my list as #2 instead of Sora.

Anti-vote:
1) Pichu: The character isn't viable and completely overshadowed by Pikachu. I don't see this changing unless all his moves get buffed, possibly by adding rediculously disjointed hitboxes. I also agree with the cons listed for Pichu in the opening post. In short: Pichu'd be a waste of a slot imo.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
B.W. beat me to it, but yeah. What happened to everyone supporting Ray?

*I'm not sure what the general consensus is about Sora, but I think he's quite popular (though would require a lot of work) and I was surprised not to see him listed in the opening post. This might mean that I've misunderstood a rule, or looked past another reason why he isn't viable, so, if that's the case, please let me know (and also: my apologies if that's the case). If Sora isn't viable, then I'd like to put Lyn on my list as #2 instead of Sora.
You can only vote characters who appeared in Brawl. Besides, if somehow he was viable, third party characters aren't really even being considered.

Bleck

Smash Master
Even if third party characters were being considered, I'm fairly certain they'd go for characters who could be considered iconic video game stars with a storied history on Nintendo consoles, not Anime Character From Anime/Disney Game. Kingdom Hearts is a pretty good series, don't get me wrong - but it's no Castlevania.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Even if third party characters were being considered, I'm fairly certain they'd go for characters who could be considered iconic video game stars with a storied history on Nintendo consoles, not Anime Character From Anime/Disney Game. Kingdom Hearts is a pretty good series, don't get me wrong - but it's no Castlevania.
If they were considering third parties, Black Mage would be the best Square candidate. A lot of people would argue Geno, and I like Geno, but... Black Mage would have more to offer, I think.

Zeallyx

You can only vote characters who appeared in Brawl. Besides, if somehow he was viable, third party characters aren't really even being considered.
If they were considering third parties, Black Mage would be the best Square candidate. A lot of people would argue Geno, and I like Geno, but... Black Mage would have more to offer, I think.
I figured, thanks for the corection. Then my list is:
My up votes (in order of my preference, #1 having most priority for me):
1) Skull Kid
2) Lyn
3) Isaac
4) Sami
5) Dark Samus

1) Pichu: The character isn't viable and completely overshadowed by Pikachu. I don't see this changing unless all his moves get buffed, possibly by adding rediculously disjointed hitboxes. I also agree with the cons listed for Pichu in the opening post. In short: Pichu'd be a waste of a slot imo.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I figured, thanks for the corection. Then my list is:
another word of advice, since you're new here you probably don't know but Pichu is a touchy subject here. I mean seriously, if you up-vote him, down-vote him, half-vote him, or mention his name in any way shape or form you'll release the equivalent of a stampede of Varia Suit Equipped Rhinos or (VSERs).

Bleck

Smash Master
And the rhinos are pissed, 'cause the Varia Suits don't fit at all.

Zeallyx

another word of advice, since you're new here you probably don't know but Pichu is a touchy subject here. I mean seriously, if you up-vote him, down-vote him, half-vote him, or mention his name in any way shape or form you'll release the equivalent of a stampede of Varia Suit Equipped Rhinos or (VSERs).
And the rhinos are pissed, 'cause the Varia Suits don't fit at all.
Why is that? I can imagine one Pichu camp being agressive, but why all Pichu camps?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Why is that? I can imagine one Pichu camp being agressive, but why all Pichu camps?
The people who DO want Pichu consist of a ever-growing and highly vocal minority that mainly consists of trolls and anyone who legitimately DOES want him and wants friendly discussion over his inclusion gets shunned for no reason just because other people who are just here to start arguments... exist. On the other hand the people who DON'T want Pichu are IMO an even MORE vocal majority who treats anyone who wants someone who isn't on the top of the list like a third-class citizen.

Zeallyx

The people who DO want Pichu consist of a highly and ever-growing vocal minority that mainly consists of trolls and anyone who legitimately DOES want him and wants friendly discussion over his inclusion gets shunned for no reason just because other people who are just here to start arguments... exist. On the other hand the people who DON'T want Pichu are IMO an even MORE vocal majority who treats anyone who wants someone who isn't on the top of the list like a third-class citizen.
I respect both (rational) sides of the arguement; I also respect the opinion of people who DO want Pichu included, but I think removing my down-vote would take away a part of what this thread and PM as a whole stands for: a game for fans through fan-feedback.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
The people who DO want Pichu consist of a highly and ever-growing vocal minority that mainly consists of trolls and anyone who legitimately DOES want him and wants friendly discussion over his inclusion gets shunned for no reason just because other people who are just here to start arguments... exist. On the other hand the people who DON'T want Pichu are IMO an even MORE vocal majority who treats anyone who wants someone who isn't on the top of the list like a third-class citizen.
TopTierPichu

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I respect both (rational) sides of the arguement; I also respect the opinion of people who DO want Pichu included, but I think removing my down-vote would take away a part of what this thread and PM as a whole stands for: a game for fans through fan-feedback.
I wasn't trying to make you remove the vote, I was just making a joke that anything having to do with Pichu will usually be followed by both sides fighting a 5 page long war for the rest of the day and never addressing what the original poster was saying about Pichu.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I wasn't trying to make you remove the vote, I was just making a joke that anything having to do with Pichu will usually be followed by both sides fighting a 5 page long war for the rest of the day and never addressing what the original poster was saying about Pichu.
5 pages? You underestimate their capabilities. I give it 7 at a minimum.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ridley (If you take away his size, you take away his character. Making him the same size as Bowser makes him look really scrawny and it takes away any impact that he would have.)
Ridley's character isn't about size. It never has been. It's about being a sadistic ************ who will kill anything or anyone in the way of him getting what he wants. He is one of the smaller bosses in all of the games he appears in, and his character is more about his connection to Samus than anything, let alone his size. He is a character about violence, sadism, and elitism. Never once has his size been relevant to his personality or who he was. So, even if you were to (erroneously and completely unnecessarily) claim that Ridley's character was about any one thing in particular (because it isn't), size wouldn't even be a runner-up for the list that was ultimately used to decide what that one thing was.

Gee-whiz, look at how awkward these look.

Wow, such impossible.

So badness.

Such awkward.

You know nothing about Ridley if you think his size is what his character is all about, but go ahead and keep being ignorant if you'd like. Your choice. Don't make Ridley fans suffer because of it.

Last edited:

ecylisis

Smash Apprentice
Up:
+Ridley
+Toad
+Skull Kid
+King K. Rool
+Isaac

To be honest I'd be thankful for ANY character the Project M team decides to add next. Not to say I don't have preferences, but the work they've done so far is amazing and I'd be totally cool with whatever they decide to do with it.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
I was a doctor mario main in melee. When he wasn't there, I first thought brawl would fuse him with Mario. I was more disappointed normal mario in brawl than Miley Cyrus's father when she twerked on stage. Why is the fludd even there when his b down should be a spin from galaxy... Getting a fused Mario with doctor mMario in P:M was a Arceus send and I can't go back, it's too beautiful. Thank you by the way for including my idea for the pill taunt in this game < 3. Although, I do miss the fire/electric fsmash in a previous builds. But I digress, Because there was no doctor before, I understand where the pichu and young link players are coming from.

I'd like Pichu back, but he'd have to be reworked. I honestly would like an ice climbers like pichu. They could like pichu untouched and but add another pichu. Maybe plusle and minium would be good choices since they were believed to have replaced pichu (forbidden 7). If we did this, I'd like an alt costume for them that are 2 pichus, one spikey haired (maybe shiny too).If pichu is included though, spikey haired needs to be in the game as an alt. Also, a plusle/minum, dendede theme would need to be there.
Now, I know my previous suggestions may not be possible but I think pichu needs to be represented in some way through pikachu. Fuse some moves together? Heck, if you sour spot a move, it could have pichu's properties. Like pichu's fmsash properties if the opponent is sour spotted on a fsmash. A couple of attacks could work like that. But there could be other ways for pichu to be represented that are less complicated.Have pikachu sleep when he is on the death panel thing. Have his taunt be similar to pichus. Give him a pichu win pose. Although, the best choice is to have a pichu or at least pichu themed alt costume on pikachu. Heck, if they changed his googles costume to pikachu have a more pichu like look that be great.They could even give him a shiny spikey hair look.

I also think that Young Link should not be a full character because toon link does this perfectly. He is the ultimate replacement and does what young link was supposed to do, but better. The drinking milk is a perfect taunt. Although,I'd also love to see him play an ocarina with the c sticks.
Anyways, Young Link should be represented by an Alt costume for Toon Link. Now a lot of people are going to yell about hurtboxes and such, but even if it is just toon link that's dressed like young link that be fine. Like as an alt costume, it could be a darker shaded toon link with a deku shield, kokori sword, no paints, uses slingshot instead of bow, throws bombchus, uses the OoT boomerang.
Heck, you might be able to get away with hurt box differences if you put just put a mask on this alt, like the deku mask or mask of truth. http://zeldawiki.org/Mask

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I still think Toon Link should drink Grandma's Elixer Soup rather than milk, since only Minish Cap has Toon Link ever drinking Milk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom