• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
The argument that Fire Emblem shouldn't get more than 2 reps is ridiculous. There are 11 main games in the franchise. Compare that to Kid Icarus' three.
It's still niche, and has generally seen ridiculously low numbers.

Hell, if Awakening got 2 reps based on the < 1 million sales it garnered, then Duck Hunt should have at least 28 reps.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Sakurai also only announced "A new fighter" not 2, YOUR bias is also showing.
Yeah. And he never said a veteran! Oh no guys! Sakurai didn't say he'd reveal a vet, is Captain Falcon a skin???

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
she is listed as a new fighter 3 damn times in three different places on the smash website how is that not clear enough for anyone seriously

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Sakurai may have announced revealing "a new fighter" because he wanted us to think only one character was getting revealed today...

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Two spots - her character page and the mobile page. She's listed as not a newcomer on the third spot, which is the normal version of the page. This really just seems to suggest the website is not all that reliable.
its three her character page, the mobel page and on the ticker on the front page, also the in the hell is nintendo's own site not reliable

Last edited:

Xandercage

Smash Rookie
I just thought of something everyone. I totally forgot about this, but with the new custom movesets for special attacks, Lucina could have different ones than Marth. I'm not too familiar with Fire Emblem but doesn't Lucina pose as Marth unknowingly for at least part of the game? One of her movesets for each special could be Marths and the rest of them could be unique to her. Palutena has shown that it is completely possible to have totally different special movesets for each special and not just variations (strength/speed upgrades).

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman

EDIT: It can go either way honestly, or something else entirely.
He said, and I quote:

ところで! 新たなる挑戦者を発表したいと思います。 今回はニンテンドーダイレクトなどではなく、7月14日(月)23:00から、公式ウェブサイトにおいて、単体で流す予定です。 いろいろ作った新ファイター参戦映像も、そろそろ打ち止め。 今回も力を入れていますので、ぜひリアルタイムで楽しんでくださいませ。
I don't see anything along the lines of:

一 (ichi )
ひとつ (hitotsu ) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (io) (n) (n-adv) - (after a noun) only
- (num) one
- (with a verb in negative form) (not) even
- for one thing (often used in itemized lists)
- just (i.e. "just try it")
一つ (hitotsu )
ひとつ (hitotsu ) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (n) (n-adv)
Thus, it was a translation issue that specified only a single newcomer, not Sakurai.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. And he never said a veteran! Oh no guys! Sakurai didn't say he'd reveal a vet, is Captain Falcon a skin???
When sarcasm fails....

For the record, I already stated it can go either way. For now we can only speculate, Right Ridley?

Last edited:

supersaiyanmikito

Smash Cadet
Wow, people really want clones here. They should totally fill the roster with a bunch of Links cause that is what it sounds like people want. How about Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass Link being their own characters. Lets also add OoT Link as well as Skyward Sword Link and give them all their own spaces on the character select. While we are at it, lets split up Little Mac into 3 separate characters so all their costumes take up more space. That's what the fans want right?

Niala

Smash Ace
I just thought of something everyone. I totally forgot about this, but with the new custom movesets for special attacks, Lucina could have different ones than Marth. I'm not too familiar with Fire Emblem but doesn't Lucina pose as Marth unknowingly for at least part of the game? One of her movesets for each special could be Marths and the rest of them could be unique to her. Palutena has shown that it is completely possible to have totally different special movesets for each special.
Just to correct your lore, she's purposefully posing as Marth, not unknowingly. Regardless of that, both Palutena and the Miis were advertised as having customizable moves beyond the average character's, so I would expect Lucina to have shown it as well if she fell into the same category.

Also to be noted, on this page http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry2.html it states that Miis and Palutena have completely different attacks. Perhaps Lucina will be added, that would be the confirmation you're looking for.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I think we cannot say Lucina is an alt costume or a completely new character. It's not clear. We have to wait Sakurai in order to know she's actually a skin or a new fighter.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Wow, people really want clones here. They should totally fill the roster with a bunch of Links cause that is what it sounds like people want. How about Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass Link being their own characters. Lets also add OoT Link as well as Skyward Sword Link and give them all their own spaces on the character select. While we are at it, lets split up Little Mac into 3 separate characters so all their costumes take up more space. That's what the fans want right?
wow putting words into people's mouths much, i never said i wanted a clone i said she is a clone. im more excited about robin then anything

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
its three her character page, the mobel page and on the ticker on the front page, also the in the hell is nintendo's own site not reliable
The unreliability is right there in her main page character image. There's also loads of inconsistencies in how the various character pages are shown, which makes inferring anything from the webpage flimsy evidence at best.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
wow putting words into people's mouths much, i never said i wanted a clone i said she is a clone. im more excited about robin then anything
There's no evidence whatsoever to suggest that she is anything more than a skin, yet people are absurdly desperate to find some.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
The unreliability is right there in her main page character image. There's also loads of inconsistencies in how the various character pages are shown, which makes inferring anything from the webpage flimsy evidence at best.
or maybe they just didnt want the same picture to take up space. Look at the artwork on robin's profile it clearly has the two of them as the center piece, posting the same image twice and taking up space seems weird

Xandercage

Smash Rookie
Just to correct your lore, she's purposefully posing as Marth, not unknowingly. Regardless of that, both Palutena and the Miis were advertised as having customizable moves beyond the average character's, so I would expect Lucina to have shown it as well if she fell into the same category.

Also to be noted, on this page ... it states that Miis and Palutena have completely different attacks. Perhaps Lucina will be added, that would be the confirmation you're looking for.
That's what I'm thinking may happen. Since she does pose as Marth I'm thinking one slot will be taken up with Marth's moves for that respective special. The other two slots will be moves that would be unique to her.

Either way, I'm sure we'll get an update from Sakurai sometime soon. Since only the Marth moveset was shown, I wouldn't expect the page you linked to would be updated until an announcement is made.

And thank you for the correction on the lore of FE. I've always wanted to get into the game but never found the time.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
or maybe they just didnt want the same picture to take up space. Look at the artwork on robin's profile it clearly has the two of them as the center piece, posting the same image twice and taking up space seems weird
Notice that you can't post anything about her not being a skin that doesn't involve the word "maybe", because nothing that we've seen gives any solid evidence that she isn't.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
There's no evidence whatsoever to suggest that she is anything more than a skin, yet people are absurdly desperate to find some.
There's also no evidence whatsoever to suggest that she is anything less than a clone, yet people are absurdly desperate to find some.

See? It can be turned around. Everything that's been posted either way is conjecture.

Last edited:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Actually I'd be fine with that.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
There's also no evidence whatsoever to suggest that she is anything less than a clone, yet people are absurdly desperate to find some.

See? It can be turned around. Everything that's been posted either way is conjecture.
Except that we've posted lots of evidence for her being the same while the other side has yet to post even a single gameplay difference. They only things they have are "but the website!" and "there could be differences that they didn't show!"

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
He said, and I quote:

I don't see anything along the lines of:

Thus, it was a translation issue that specified only a single newcomer, not Sakurai.
Oooooh, a nice Japanese lesson.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
She's on the website listed as a newcomer. She's a clone, pure and simple. Just like Roy, Pichu, Young Link etc were.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
She's on the website listed as a newcomer. She's a clone, pure and simple. Just like Roy, Pichu, Young Link etc were.
All of those characters had different movesets, and we're not the people updating that website, we don't know what criteria they use to determine who gets a box and who doesn't.

supersaiyanmikito

Smash Cadet
See the thing is, Lucina is way to similar to Marth to warrant her own spot. What I am saying is I am fine with her being her own character but she doesn't need to be considered a full on separate character appearing solo on the select screen. You should have to toggle to her while hovering over Marth much like you had to do with Sheik in Brawl. She could have very minor stat changes but ultimately have the exact same moves. They could do the same for Dark Pit and make him an alt for Pit with a very minor stat change with different sounds and animations.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I doubt she's even got stat differences to be honest. It's probably exactly like Warioware / Classic Wario in Brawl.

Niala

Smash Ace
Except that we've posted lots of evidence for her being the same while the other side has yet to post even a single gameplay difference. They only things they have are "but the website!" and "there could be differences that they didn't show!"
You haven't posted any evidence. You have, however, posted a lot of conjecture, much of it unreliable and innacurate, just as the counter-argument has.

On that note I think you're wrong. There's no point in introducing her in the way she was if she were simply a costume.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Then you must not be paying attention to more than the last few posts, because I've seen multiple posts stating her aerial game and landing lag are much different from Marth's.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Then you must not be paying attention to more than the last few posts, because I've seen multiple posts stating her aerial game and landing lag are much different from Marth's.
They're clearly wrong, though, see the post I made a page back showing Marth having identical hitboxes to those air attacks. Somehow people have forgotten that Marth Nair takes two swipes and hits front and back since Melee.

She also lands very near the end of the animation for Nair, so it probably just autocancels. We already know autocancelling is in, Sheik Fair was confirmed to have it from the best buy event.

Last edited:

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
All of those characters had different movesets, and we're not the people updating that website, we don't know what criteria they use to determine who gets a box and who doesn't.
It's not just a "box." She gets her own page on the website. The news ticker calls her a "new character." Furthermore, Nintendo issued a correction to IGN that Chrom was not his own character but did not do the same for Lucina.

The burden of proof is one those who say she's just an "alt", considering no smash game has ever had an alternate costume treated this way.

As for her moves, people have observed that she's faster and her aerials appear less laggy. We don't see her in action much in the trailer, so it's hard to observe the differences much. But some appear to be there.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Young Link literary shared all of Link's moves. The only noticeable difference is the arrow, but that doesn't even drastically change it's effect.
Who's to say Lucina won't have some different moves from Marth?

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
.. Did you play the same Super Smash Brothers Melee as the rest of us?
Apparently not, because it seems like most people played the version where Roy's Blazer launched you on the same angle as Dolphin Slash, Young Link's USmash hit 3 times, and Falco's Laser was identical to Fox's laser.

Actually, from the last change, that version of the game sounds better.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Young Link literary shared all of Link's moves. The only noticeable difference is the arrow, but that doesn't even drastically change it's effect.
Who's to say Lucina won't have some different moves from Marth?
USmash, Bair, and Fair are all hugely different. UpB also has a vacuum effect.

Last edited:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
They're clearly wrong, though, see the post I made a page back showing Marth having identical hitboxes to those air attacks. Somehow people have forgotten that Marth Nair takes two swipes and hits front and back since Melee.

She also lands very near the end of the animation for Nair, so it probably just autocancels. We already know autocancelling is in, Sheik Fair was confirmed to have it from the best buy event.
Aerial game is more than a single move, especially in a game where moves are customizable.

Second, you lambasted the "clone crowd" for using maybes, but now you're using one to support your claim? Probably isn't any different from a maybe. Conjecture is conjecture.

Not sure if I can post links yet, but check out Lucina's moveset analysis in her subforum. There's discussion there about differences.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Aerial game is more than a single move, especially in a game where moves are customizable.
We saw two aerials. Uair was exactly the same. Nair was the only one where you could even make the case it might be different.

Second, you lambasted the "clone crowd" for using maybes, but now you're using one to support your claim? Probably isn't any different from a maybe. Conjecture is conjecture.
The difference is that I'm not the one arguing that something might exist. I'm just pointing out that it also might not exist. The moves that I pointed out as being the same definitely do exist, and are actual evidence, unlike all of the clone crowd's speculation.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Feels good to be right. I mean, I was totally wrong about Shulk today, but I knew Gematsu was garbage and I've been calling Robin since before E3 2013. And Lucina as an alt. Ahhh... yay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom