• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

That's it! I'm done! It's not like I wanted to get hyped anyways! **** the hype!

Might as well rename this the "Shulk to be shown Monday" Thread!

Might as well have the Shulk section of the Character Discussion boards up and running by now!
I'M OUT!
:facepalm: I'm rage quitting about Shulk, a character who's #2 of my Top 5 newcomers who are currently unannounced. What is my life?!?

The worst part is we get this confirmation only HOURS before the reveal and all it says is a freaking five word sentence!
"Enjoy my good friend Shulk"? *screams internally* It's so anticlimactic!

*sigh* but there's no point in raging now. I'll just wait for tomorrow. Maybe Shulk still looks awesome since we have no idea how he'll play as. That's something to look forward to. I don't even care about waking up early to see the trailer go live...

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
Just because Sal showed us that email, it does not mean that Shulk is even more likely to be shown this morning. I say this because Sal's tipster could have just sent Sal what he personally thought was going to be revealed since a Shulk reveal seems very likely. This tipster has been wrong with the order of newcomers that have been revealed before, so I think there is a small chance someone else could get revealed. I think Shulk will get revealed, but I still feel there is a small possibility for another reveal.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
In regards to Ridley and K. Rool, they've both been highly requested characters as far back as Melee so I can understand the frustration from their fans there. If this game doesn't pan out for them, they'll have to wait another 6-8 years at another shot, adding on top of an already lengthy 13 years of not making the cut.

Add in: Shulk's not a bad character but he is kind of on the obscure side thanks to a fairly limited release of Xenoblade Chronicles in North America and Europe. He's only about four years old too so, again, some people feel that he's jumping in line when there are some major characters that have been requested year after year without hitting playable status.
Add in: Nintendo can probably capitalize on more profits from the Xenoblade series with Shulk as a character, whereas sales for Metroid and Donkey Kong would probably remain the same.

---> Roy from Melee.

Though I will feel bad for any person who doesn't get their character in Smash, especially if they had to wait so long.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
In regards to Ridley and K. Rool, they've both been highly requested characters as far back as Melee so I can understand the frustration from their fans there. If this game doesn't pan out for them, they'll have to wait another 6-8 years at another shot, adding on top of an already lengthy 13 years of not making the cut.

Add in: Shulk's not a bad character but he is kind of on the obscure side thanks to a fairly limited release of Xenoblade Chronicles in North America and Europe. He's only about four years old too so, again, some people feel that he's jumping in line when there are some major characters that have been requested year after year without hitting playable status.
Fatman has pretty much nailed it on the head, saying what he did here. This is very similar to the backlash of Wolf and ROB over Krystal and others, and yes K.Rool and Ridley then as well. A repeat performance does not bode well. Though it isn't Shulk that's the problem, it's Chrom, especially if we end up with another Star Fox Trio.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
We all know exactly who's gonna be announced tomorrow.

Those of you who don't want anymore sword characters, eat your heart out.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Also, remember we should have a Pic of the Day today. I wonder what it will be.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Also, remember we should have a Pic of the Day today. I wonder what it will be.
Based on how every pic before a major event has been filler...

Filler is my bet.

D

Deleted member

Im not sure if staying up is a good option. At this point, Shulk is highly likely to happen. If I sleep, I most likely won't be able to catch it live, then the surprise will be ruined if it isn't Shulk. Then again, it's highly likely to be Shulk. If I stay up, I'll end up sleeping in the middle of the day, just to catch the video live, when it could just be Shulk, or there's the small chance it isn't him. I'm stumped here. :/

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Just because Sal showed us that email, it does not mean that Shulk is even more likely to be shown this morning. I say this because Sal's tipster could have just sent Sal what he personally thought was going to be revealed since a Shulk reveal seems very likely. This tipster has been wrong with the order of newcomers that have been revealed before, so I think there is a small chance someone else could get revealed. I think Shulk will get revealed, but I still feel there is a small possibility for another reveal.
Yeah, that's another thing that's bothering me. For all his right information, he's gotten a LOT of details wrong.

DangerDamage

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's another thing that's bothering me. For all his right information, he's gotten a LOT of details wrong.
He hasn't gotten 1 thing wrong.

It was 2 emails stating the chraracters that are new, leaving out Rosalina. That's not a lot, that is just 1 thing that isn't accounted for out of the 9/12 he has right, and considering Xenoblade writers retweeted the announce, it's going to be at-least 10/12 by tomorrow.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

You hitted the nail on the head. Exactly all my bothers with the current roster.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
How the **** is the lineup weak without those 2 ? it weak to you and all the other Ridley/K.rool fans, but not to us! you got Lil.Mac you got Rosalina with her unique moveset, you got freaking Mega Man, and now you are getting Shulk ? and you are claiming that's weak, get real bro...
If I want to play a large heavyweight newcomer, I can't do so. If I want to play a villain newcomer, I can't do so.

That alone makes the roster weak.

Edit: Also, Fatman, there isn't another wait. If K. Rool and Ridley don't make the cut this time, it's clear that Sakurai doesn't think they merit playable status. This is their last chance.

Last edited:

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
I'm still hoping that Sakurai is secretly Sal's leaker. I mean, who else but us hardcore fans is he staging a live reveal for at 7 in the morning (pacific, at least)? These leaks are just him playing with our expectations :p

I know. You don't have to say it. It's still fun to pretend though.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
@salromano

Could you please tell us if your leaker said that they were all the newcomers?

That much is crucial.

If there are unlockable newcomers, you make all of smashboards and the internet happy!

FancysaurusRex

Smash Apprentice
I'm not upset that Shulk is confirmed. He seems like a cool and unique character with a lot potential.

I'm not upset that Gematsu is coming true. I don't really have any possible newcomers that I explicitly wanted, and the list seems like an enjoyable bunch of characters.

I'm not upset that we had what I assume is the starting set of newcomers spoiled. Without the leak, I would have been disappointed in many of the characters, but now I've had time to research them and fall in love with them, particularly the Chorus Men who are my most wanted newcomers now.

I'm not upset that Sal just spoiled the big reveal for us. He's just giving us info, which is what we all come here for.

What upsets me is that the leaker spoiled our speculation for NO REASON. I came to this thread because I loved seeing the speculation and discussion happening, but now it's confirmed and it's pretty much all arguments here now. It was literally just a few hours away, he couldn't have waited?

He didn't even need to. This doesn't make him any more credible; The overwhelming majority agreed that Shulk would be revealed. All he did was shut down any and all speculation, and kill many people's hype (Not mine, still stoked to see him in action) to give information that barely counts as a leak.

I honestly kind of hope it's a different Gematsu character tomorrow, because Sal's is just striking me as an attention-starved jerk now.

You're still cool tho, Sal.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

First off, not filler, my bet was wrong...

Second off, Rayman is referenced in Smash. Does that change anything? Anyone changing their predictions for the new character?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
RAYMAN!?!?!?

**** GOT REAL!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wouldn't say that this game is necessarily K. Rool and Ridley's last chance, mainly owing to the possibility that a new director will take over for Smash at some point in the future.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The Pic of the Day is a Rayman trophy guys..... not sure what to think now!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Everything ever just stopped making sense.

Can I get Ridley now?

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
"The plot thickens. Teddie thickens too."

-reference to a game that isn't Smash

But seriously, I'm still convinced that tomorrow is gonna be Shulk, but... I will admit, the seed of doubt has been planted.

D

Deleted member

HOW. I honestly thought that was shopped for a little bit. Ok, now I have much bigger expectations for the character reveal seeing this. But srsly, did not expect freaking Rayman as a trophy out of the blue. Especially since Ubisoft and Nintendo are having a bit of a falling out in terms of third-party games being released for the system.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
@salromano
If there are unlockable newcomers, you make all of smashboards and the internet happy!
Nothing says that Greninja, Palutena, Mii, Pac-Man and Mega Man aren`t unlockable. Given that we know about Toon Link and Luigi, it`s likely that Sakurai has been posting unlockable characters for a while now.

Also general reminder that Sal has said that he`s tried contacting the guy but has never had a reply to any of his questions. This guy just sends him info when he wants to send it.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
How the **** is the lineup weak without those 2 ? it weak to you and all the other Ridley/K.rool fans, but not to us! you got Lil.Mac you got Rosalina with her unique moveset, you got freaking Mega Man, and now you are getting Shulk ? and you are claiming that's weak, get real bro...
Not sure the hostility is needed, but I actually agree with the sentiment. I don't know how anyone could call the newcomer roster "weak." If you ask me, it's already the versatile batch of newcomers we've ever had.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Did Sakurai just post Ray-Man to **** with our Shulk predictions?

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Sakurai must have known his decision to put in characters that nobody wanted, like WFT and Choir Trio, to be characters people will praise even though they never considered or even expected them until they were revealed.

Just like how Michael Bay knows the Transformer Films get absurd hatred but because he knows people will still go to see them and make millions at the box office, he still does the same **** three times in a row.

As long as there are sheep who keep eating this garbage, people are gonna have to put up with BS like this.
You're putting too much importance on who the character is. Does it really make a difference? It's just a physical representation for the moveset.

What if Mewtwo, Ridley & K.Rool all got in instead, but had garbage movesets? Would you have been happier just because it was those characters? I'd hope not.

Not liking a character is fine, but who they are is irrelevant. If they're fun to play, you're not going to play them because you think they're stupid choices? The moveset is all that is important, that it is fun, or fits your style, or is viable in a competitive setting. Being a 'popular' character or whatever is not important. And if it's important to you that everyone be someone you like, or that everyone be fan requested, then you miss the point.

Michael Bay movies are debatable quality movies.
You're comparing that to characters people didn't necessarily want, but may be super fun to play. That's not even sort of the same thing. Unless you're saying that Bay films are really good, but nobody wanted them made.

Sucks about Mewtwo, or whoever, but it really doesn't matter. You're literally just complaining about a shell for a moveset. Like getting mad that a movie is black & white instead of in color when color was available, even though it was still a good film.

You also need to consider that characters like Mewtwo, Ridley and K.Rool were under consideration, but not included for other reasons. It's not like Chorus Kids or Wii Fit Trainer are the reason you're not getting who you want. That's not how it works.

Just like how Mewtwo was planned for Brawl, and Ridley had his role changed during development. Things happen. If WFT got in, and not Mewtwo, it wasn't her fault. It wasn't a scheme. It just happened that way. Sucks.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
WHAT THE

RAYMAN TROPHY?

I DON'T...HUH?

I didn't think anything other than Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer being playable could happen. But for sure as hell it just did.

.......Welp. I officially give up on trying to predict Sakurai.

I still think we're getting Shulk tomorrow nonetheless.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
It all makes sense now.

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

This is a place where the trailer reveals Dr. Kawashima and Pichu. Roy is a stage hazard on Pyrosphere. Meta Knight and Wario switch movesets. Mewtwo is an item, and Ridley is Ness' new recovery. Nothing makes sense any more.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Okay, here's the situation: If Shulk doesn't get confirmed tomorrow morning, then the leak is fake. If he does, on the other hand, then at the very least, the guy's an @2$#01e. Sure, I'm the kind of guy who will try to dig up whatever information regarding the roster I can find, but there is such a thing as empathy too, you know. It's like spoiling the end of a highly anticipated movie; it's just a jerkish thing to do.

Also, even in spite of the recent post from Sal (as far as I can tell, Sal simply means that he's got nothing from the leaker), I still consider it very likely that we will be getting more than just these three newcomers. It's just foolish to assume that we'd only get two secret newcomers (Pac-Man and Chorus Kids) in a game that has been confirmed to be stuffed with unlockable characters and content. Yes, Brawl had more hidden veterans than newcomers, but the ratio was almost 50/50 for that game. If we have even more hidden characters this time around, I don't think it'd be reduced to third party newcomers and the Chorus Kids alone. Ergo, we're getting more newcomers.
Who? At the very least, Ridley and Mewtwo (if not final roster, then DLC) are almost guaranteed to get in. Not sure who else, but maybe King K. Rool as well. And even if we don't get Ridley or King K. Rool, I don't think it will be the end for these two. Ridley hasn't been added yet because Sakurai has trouble with his portions in shrinking him down, and doesn't want to include him if it means disappointing fans as a consequence. Not sure what King K. Rool's problem is, but if I'd have to guess, it's the lack of unique character traits and movesets.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Dat rayman...

EVERY ICONIC MASCOT CHARACTER EVER CONFIRMED FOR TROPHIES

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Even though I'm mostly expecting Shulk, that Rayman trophy has been posted at exactly the right moment it's brilliant

PirateHaxx

Smash Cadet
Expecting somethen else, but received a "3D" model of Raymond.

We expect shulk, but now we getting the trio!

Bets are on!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Time to repost this, because it is relevant now more than ever.

What is the point of the videos?
- Garnish hype for newcomers
- Introduce newcomers to those who are unaware of their origins
- Show Nintendo characters among other Nintendo charaters

Two out of three of those proves that characters such as Isaac, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley, etc, do not need videos, and that introduction videos (as they are called) are in fact useless.
Sure, it is fun to see them alongside other Nintendo veterans, but perhaps we will get to in another mode in the Wii U, or even the 3DS, as Sakurai said he was keen on these interactions.
We all know who these characters are, they've even all been in Smash bros before.
A character who has been in the series' before and is not making their debut does not even have much business having a video.

This is, of course, debunked by Palutena, who appeared in Subspace Emissary and Pit's Final Smash, but the notion is still pretty strong, I feel, that the videos are to garnish hype and introduce characters, which is again a restating of the characters we are GETTING unlocked, from the start, are the ones we are being shown now, and the ones who don't need hype, need no introduction, will make you scream to fight later in game and who you tortured yourself over not knowing if they were in the game- they are the locked characters in the game.

It just makes too much sense given the amount of appeal Sakurai puts into wanting to surprise his fans, but also cater to them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom