• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Ninten (MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound)

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
i've played though the entire game and really Ninten doesn't have any PSI attacks other than hypnosis which isn't really an attack but theres a large move pool from which he could draw out his specials
(as a side note he the second stongest character in the game)

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
i've played though the entire game and really Ninten doesn't have any PSI attacks other than hypnosis which isn't really an attack but theres a large move pool from which he could draw out his specials
(as a side note he the second stongest character in the game)
Who's the strongest?

Also, Ness used PK Fire and PK Thunder, which were originally Paula's attacks.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
well the strongest character from Mother was Teddy who was a gang member who parents were killed by bears or somthing....
and yes Ness did steal PK Thunder and PK fire......if your curious as to what moves Ninten may have look at the first page my moveset is the second one there and i'm pretty proud of it considering everyone thinks he would be a total rip off of Ness

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
well the strongest character from Mother was Teddy who was a gang member who parents were killed by bears or somthing....
and yes Ness did steal PK Thunder and PK fire......if your curious as to what moves Ninten may have look at the first page my moveset is the second one there and i'm pretty proud of it considering everyone thinks he would be a total rip off of Ness
Well, if Ninten has different moves from Ness, then the only similarities are the clothes they were. That's basically what I thought at first.

courte

Smash Lord
Yeah, Ninten looks almost exactly like Ness. In fact, I don't even think Ness is going to be in SSBB. They'll just replace him with Lucas from Mother 3, but keep all of Ness's moves.
thats silly

the reason u havent seen ness cap falcon is the same reason they havent mentioned luigi and jigglypuff secret characters are kept secret for some reason this time around ((unlocked in the first game))

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Nothing is wrong with the character presay... but the biggest issue is to people who don't know the Earthbound series inside and out... there going to think it's a Ness Clone.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
If ANY characters from Mother 1 would make an appearance, Teddy would most likely be it. Putting Ninten in would be redundant.:urg:
That's like putting Poo in Smash before Ness.

Of course, I find it strange people somehow think that Ness and Lucas can coexist fine and Smash while Ninten somehow can't coexist with, say, Ness even though they're all the same concept.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's like putting Poo in Smash before Ness.

Of course, I find it strange people somehow think that Ness and Lucas can coexist fine and Smash while Ninten somehow can't coexist with, say, Ness even though they're all the same concept.
It's probably because the similarities between Ness and Nitnen are painfully obvious.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
It's probably because the similarities between Ness and Nitnen are painfully obvious.
Same with Ness and Lucas.
ElvishSpirit said:
or a beta-ness. They both make sence, i think.......................
No they don't, you have to be an idiot to think that Ninten is a Beta-Ness. Ninten came before Ness and is the first ever Mother character, not the Beta version of what Ness is.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
The similarities are there, surely, but they aren't rock solid. They can design things any number of ways differently, and Young Link being a smaller version of Link with a few minor detail changes didn't stop him from being in Melee.

Similarly, Ninten is much younger than Ness by about five years, has no offensive PSI at all, wears red socks with blue shoes and has an ascot.

I think, though, that they'd probably include Ninten, Ana, and Loid as one character if anything, because in the first MOTHER teamwork was more defined than in any other, as if any character fell it became very difficult to press on whereas in MOTHER2 and 3, you could just plow ahead with your batsman.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Not really. Ninten also has asthma and doesn't play the guitar, which Ness does if you've read the lyrics to the credits song that Itoi wrote. Ninten also has a different family situation. He's generally braver than Ness was, who literally had to destroy part of his mind in order to gutsy up enough to even face Giegue/Giygas.

The strongest thing Ninten can do is sing at stuff, and swing around a particularly generic bat. From a design standpoint, he also lacks a backpack, has a longer shirt, and the dot on his hat is black.

Again, their abilities are also different, which is more than can be said about Link and Young Link.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
And again, their appearances are rather different from a detailed standpoint, and as I said, Sakurai could do whatever he wanted to designs to make differences even more apparent.

And stop dodging the Link/Young Link point. You know that Young Link is basically just a shorter Link, right?

vesperview

Smash Hero
I'm not dodging your point, Young Link is a shorter Link because he is well YOUNGER, this argument is stupid Ness is a smaller Ninten with a little detail here and there, they have different stories and abilities, but they look strikingly similar anyway, if you can't see that, this discussion is not worth neither my time nor yours.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Adding Ninten instead of Ness is just like adding one of the Light Warriors of the first Final Fantasy or Firion (Firioniel in Japan) of Final Fantasy II instead of Tidus of Final Fantasy X or Cloud Strife of Final Fantasy VII.

I assume that Ninten has more PSI/PK moves than Ness does, but most of Ninten's don't do any damage, but add conditions to several enemies, such as putting them to sleep and poisoning them. He also has Telepathy and 4th D Slip.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
The similarities between Lucas and Ness are not like the similarities between Ninten and Ness, Ninten is just taller than Ness but is basically the same character.
Name one thing that's not similar between Lucas and Ness that isn't hair, color of shirt, and lack of backpack. Go on.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Those you said make Lucas and Ness more different that Ness and Ninten, believe it or not.
And the difference between Ness and Ninten include:

-Ninten has more stripes on his shirt
-Lacks a backpack
-Shirt is tucked in on the left side of his body while it isn't on the right (strangely)
-Hair is differently shaped

Of course, I'm humoring you, there's hardly any differences between all the Mother protagonists. They're essentially the same exact character to the core.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
With Ness having a very low chance of returning, I have just realized the untapped potential of a Mother main character who actually uses the moves they had in-game.
Since Ness already uses mostly Paula's moves, we could add Ninten as the second Mother character.

My potential moveset:

Neutral B: Offense Up - This move adds 1% damage per 5% damage a move normally does (a 20% damage attack does 24% with Offense Up), as well as increases knockback slightly. Normally, Ninten's attacks have somewhat low damage, but after using Offense Up, his attacks are greatly improved. The attack itself has some lag (takes, say, two seconds to fully execute) and it can only be used again after twenty seconds (which is how long the effect lasts).

Forward B: Hypnosis - Suitably puts an enemy to sleep. It has low range (about the range of Mewtwo's Confusion), and can be charged and stored. However, instead of damage or range, the charge decreases lag time - if fully charged, it can be executed almost instantly. If not charged, it takes about the same time to execute as Mewtwo's Disable.

Up B: 4th-D Slip - This works a bit differently than other recovery moves. It can be directed, but only in one of two directions - towards or away from the closest enemy. It has lag and distance comparable to Zelda's Farore's Wind, but Ninten is unflinchable for the duration of the attack. Its distance is fixed, so you can overshoot an enemy if you're too close to them, or end up right in front of them and being punished. The attack teleports Ninten in a straight line, so he can go through walls and such - however, if Ninten would appear in a wall when the attack is done, he automatically appears in the nearest empty space (even if that's a pit at the bottom of the screen).

Down B: Power/PSI Shield - This attack generates one of two shields, either a Power Shield that nullifies physical damage and knockback, or a PSI shield that nullifies projectile and energy damage and knockback. The trick is, the shields look exactly the same, so you can't tell which one you use until you actually get hit by it. If a Power Shield is hit by a projectile, or vice versa, the shield breaks, giving Ninten a bit of lag (but not a normal broken shield animation).

Final Smash: Offense/Defense/Quick Up - Ninten simultaneously casts Offense Up (increases damage and knockback), Defense Up (makes him unflinchable for all of his attacks) and Quick Up (increases his running speed and halves the lag on all of his attacks). These effects all last for thirty seconds, during which Ninten can go around exacting his just revenge on characters who interrupted his Offense Up or broke his PSI Shield. He can still be KO'd while in this state, just not as easily.

A: Regular punch (2%)
A,A: Punch followed by a kick (2%, 4%)
Ftilt: Kick followed by a trail of PSI (Kick does 3%, PSI does 4x1%)
Dash: Dash-kick into enemies (8%)
Fsmash: Bat swing, exactly like Ness'. Reflects projectiles. (18%)
Dtilt: Low punch with a trail of PSI (punch does 3%, PSI does 3x2% but has no knockback)
Dsmash: A low swing with a frying pan (17%, one direction only, has high knockback like Samus' Dsmash)
Utilt: Fires a slingshot a short distance in the air (5%, has low lag)
Usmash: Holds his hand above his head and generates PSI energy (13x1%, final hit deals 3% with knockback)
Nair: Spins around (combos like Zelda's nair) (8x2%)
Fair: PSI-powered punch in front of him (14%)
Dair: Fires the slingshot downwards (5%, also has low lag)
Bair: Grabs his hat and swings it in a horizontal arc behind him (6%, last few frames spike)
Uair: Holds hands above his head, and becomes covered in PSI energy. Similar to Mewtwo's nair. (10x2%, no knockback)
Grab attack: Punches them (2%)
Fthrow: Throws them a short distance in the air, then swings with his bat as they descend (8%)
Dthrow: Throws them into the ground using PSI (4%, stuns the enemy for a few frames longer than normal)
Bthrow: Similar to Ness' bthrow (7%)
Uthrow: Throws them up a short distance, then charges his hands with PSI and claps above his head (9%)

Taunt: Eats a hamburger (best taunt EVER)

Winning poses would probably be similar to Ness'. Same with the general animations, like running, rolling, getting damaged, etc.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
As I noted at the top of my post, Ninten has a better chance of appearing with a moveset similar to mine than Ness does with his 64/Melee moveset, as Lucas seems to have inherited that. I'm not saying that Ninten will appear over any other Earthbound or Mother 3 characters, but we can't rule out the possibility.

Top Bottom