• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Ninten (MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound)

parrothead

Smash Lord

Name: Ninten (a.k.a. Ken in the MOTHER 1 / NES EarthBound novel)
First Game Appearance: MOTHER 1 / NES EarthBound

Special Moves (by me):

B : Offense Up (charges for about 2 seconds to add 10% extra damage for every other move. Lasts for a short time.)

Forward + B : Paralysis (Ana taught Ninten this move; paralyzes an opponent for a short time)

Down + B : Power Shield (Reflects/Repels incoming physical attacks, grabs(except if already grabbed, or Samus uses her Grappling Beam), and solid objects (like Adult/Young Link's Boomerangs/Arrows, Shiek's Needles, Peach's vegetables, Yoshi's Eggs, Mr. Game & Watch's Chef (except when he hits Ninten with the pan itself because it brings fire) or Oil Panic attacks) but not explosives or attacks that contains volts, freeze, fire,(including Luigi's Green Missle), or magic/psychic. Kirby can still Inhale and Copy Ninten while he uses his shield).

Up + B : Quick Up (similar to Fox's and Falco's Foward + B move, but it ONLY goes diagonally. After that, you will move faster for a short time).

Final Smash: PSI Beam (Ana probably taught Ninten this move. It can be seen in the MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound television commercial. Ninten holds his arms and fists straight up and forward, while bending over to charge up the PSI Beam. When he bends back up, the PSI Beam will zap toward each opponent from closest to farthest. If it misses an opponent, it will stop and shape itself into a sphere before it would quickly zap toward the same or different enemy that is closest to the PSI Beam.

Taunt: Eats a hamburger.

Entrance: Same as Ness' entrance; Uses PSI/PK Teleport.

======================================================

Special Moves (made by PSIguy89):

B: PK Beam (would fire similar to falco's blaster,but it could be charged for a few seconds and then would shoot automatically)
>B: PK Freeze (Ninten would thrust his hands in front of him fireing a large snowflake shaped blast that would also freeze an opponent if they had high enough damage, like the ice climbers attacks)
^B: 4th D Slip (A very fast move that works like a cross over between Mewtwo's teleport and Pikachu's quick attack, as in he teleports for a short time to get higher and can also change direction to a short extent before falling)
Down B: Psycho Shield (a colorful energy shield would envelope Ninten and until a certain amount of damage was accumulated it would halve all damage aswell as knock back, and when it reached its breaking point it would inflict 1/2 the total damge absorbed to the attacker)
Final Smash: Darkness (Ninten would target a single opponent and shroud them within a cloud of dark energy and inflict 30-40% damage and then when he released them the direction of their controls would be reversed for 5-10seconds i.e up=down

I know he looks similar to Ness, but he knows some PSI/PK moves that Ness doesn't know.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
This character is different from Ness? I just thought Ninten was what they called him in Japanese.

If he is a different character though, I'd rather them just put him in as a alternate costume.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Ninten and Ness look too much the same. It'd be useless to add him in. If Ness stays in (which we probably will), then leave Ninten out of it. Heck, you can call him Ninten, and you already have the colors of Ninten on Ness, so why bother making a whole entire new character? Waste of space on the disc.

burrito

Smash Lord
Yeah, Ninten looks almost exactly like Ness. In fact, I don't even think Ness is going to be in SSBB. They'll just replace him with Lucas from Mother 3, but keep all of Ness's moves.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
While I do think that Ninten isn't the best choice for EB characters, you all need to stop posting until you've played Earthbound for the SNES to completion, then and only then will your opinion on who should replace Ness be valid.

But then, of course, you wouldn't want anyone to replace Ness, because you'll love Earthbound so much.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Ness and Ninten have two very different move sets. Ness was more of an offense character, and Ninten was more supportive. Also:

Ninten is shorter, younger, has more stripes to his shirt, wears his hat differently, and statistically faster. Sakurai said there won't be clones(or strongly hinted at it, rather) so if he is put in, he would play alot differently than Ness.

burrito

Smash Lord
dotdotdot! said:
While I do think that Ninten isn't the best choice for EB characters, you all need to stop posting until you've played Earthbound for the SNES to completion, then and only then will your opinion on who should replace Ness be valid.
I have already done so. So I have a valid opinion, yay!

Ninten is just too similar to Ness. I know he could have different B moves, but what about his other moves?

parrothead

Smash Lord
burrito said:
I have already done so. So I have a valid opinion, yay!

Ninten is just too similar to Ness. I know he could have different B moves, but what about his other moves?
Some of Captain Falcon's A-Moves are the same as Samus Aran's.

burrito

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
Some of Captain Falcon's A-Moves are the same as Samus Aran's.
So? That's some not all. If you really want a representative from Mother 1, why not pick a more refreshing character, like Teddy or Lloyd?

parrothead

Smash Lord
burrito said:
So? That's some not all. If you really want a representative from Mother 1, why not pick a more refreshing character, like Teddy or Lloyd?
But they are not as major as Ninten. As for Ninten's A-Moves, he would have some unlike Ness'. Compare Captain Falcon's to Samus Aran's for example. If Sakurai said no clones, then why does he have Ninten on his list?

burrito

Smash Lord
I guess there really isn't anything I can do to change your opinion, but I am going to hold my stance that he is a pointless character. Even with dirrefent moves, his fighting style would be just too similar.

NukeA6

Smash Master
No need for Ninten. I'd rather have that swordsman from Mother 1 or Poo.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Chidosengan said:
This is just Ness....with his Japanese name.
NO HE ISN'T! Read sometime, We've explained in multiple places that Ninten is the guy in the first one (Mother 1)and Ness is the guy in the second one(Mother 2/Earthbound), just like Lucas is the guy in the third.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Ninten is a bad call for another Mother character. If we need another Mother series character, it should be from Mother 3 since it took what made Mother 2 so crazy and multiplied ten fold. Besides, we need M3 characters for the sake of getting Mother 3 out here in the states.

And just look at Sakurai's poll: Sure Ninten's up there but he's the only one from Mother 1 suggested. Mother 2 includes Jeff and I THINK Ness and Poo somewhere and Mother 3 includes Lucas, Claus, and Kumatora.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I'd rather see someone else from Mother 2. Maybe Jeff. He would be a lot different, since he uses gadgets instead of PSI attacks. Him or Mother 3 Characters.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Ninten could work, guys, as some form of "alternate suit." I have this image of unlocking the ability to select an extra version of Ness where he is now actually Ninten, with a similar look but different attacks. Similar to many people requesting Oni-Link, but only as some sort of alternate suit.

Master Puppet

Smash Cadet
parrothead said:
But they are not as major as Ninten. As for Ninten's A-Moves, he would have some unlike Ness'. Compare Captain Falcon's to Samus Aran's for example. If Sakurai said no clones, then why does he have Ninten on his list?
When did Sakurai say no clones? Please provide a link to said article.

As for Ninten, I have to say, it looks like he is a prototype of Ness. They're not the same character, but they probably created Ness with this guy in mind. As such, they are too similar in look and would cause much confusion on the battlefield. Thusly, I must say NO.

parrothead

Smash Lord
If anyone (except) Ninten was added to SSBB, then newcomers might think that Ana/Loid/Teddy/etc. are more major than Ninten. Like Lucas, he looks similar to Ness, but if you look closely, he is different. I don't believe Ninten is a clone, because most of his moves (A and B) are different compared to Ness', but Lucas might be a semi-clone of Ness.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Doesn't Ninten have asthma? I don't think that he'd be able fight because of that...unless he had uber B attacks and slow, lacking A attacks....Or something.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Devastlian said:
Doesn't Ninten have asthma? I don't think that he'd be able fight because of that...unless he had uber B attacks and slow, lacking A attacks....Or something.
Yes, I do believe he has Asthma in Mother 1. Of course it didn't stop him from fighting IN MOTHER 1.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Just shut up about these unfunny jokes, I heard that Celice (Fire Emblem 4 and 5) looks like he is using steroids, but he's not.

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
As of this post, Wiki DOES say Ninten has asthma, in the last sentence. But then again, that's Wiki for you. On the other hand, I looked up a few guides for Mother 1 on GameFAQs, and there IS mention of Ninten having asthma, as well as items that you use when Ninten has these asthma attacks.

Anyhow, I've never played Mother 1, but personally I wouldn't want Ninten (but that's from someone who hasn't played the first game). From the looks of it, I just think he's way too similar (honestly, if they push the differences in his modernization to the Wii, the difference will be like Mario and Luigi, and I still think that's too similar). I'd rather have a different MOTHER character, from 1 or 3. I just think the MOTHER series needs another character, ALONG WITH (not instead of) Ness. And I still, to this day, do not understand why people believe Ness is going to get cut.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Chaps said:
As of this post, Wiki DOES say Ninten has asthma, in the last sentence. But then again, that's Wiki for you. On the other hand, I looked up a few guides for Mother 1 on GameFAQs, and there IS mention of Ninten having asthma, as well as items that you use when Ninten has these asthma attacks.

Anyhow, I've never played Mother 1, but personally I wouldn't want Ninten (but that's from someone who hasn't played the first game). From the looks of it, I just think he's way too similar (honestly, if they push the differences in his modernization to the Wii, the difference will be like Mario and Luigi, and I still think that's too similar). I'd rather have a different MOTHER character, from 1 or 3. I just think the MOTHER series needs another character, ALONG WITH (not instead of) Ness. And I still, to this day, do not understand why people believe Ness is going to get cut.
QFT, signed, and agreed with whole hog.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Chaps said:
I asked people at Starmen.Net about this. Click here.

parrothead

Smash Lord
dotdotdot! said:
Well, that settles that. He has Asthma. Doesn't mean he has to show it if he's in Brawl or anything.
That doesn't mean he always has asthma in the RPG, you are just making fun of him. He just cured it using an Asthma spray.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
parrothead said:
That doesn't mean he always has asthma in the RPG, you are just making fun of him. He just cured it using an Asthma spray.
You can't CURE asthma. It's something you're born with that can become aggrivated when you breath in foreign air. You can take a spray to relieve the symptoms of Asthma, but you can't cure it.

And also I wasn't joking or making fun. I was just saying that if Ninten is in, he does not have to show his Asthma in any capacity (maybe a taunt or something) unless they want to make him the next Pichu or something.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
dotdotdot! said:
You can't CURE asthma. It's something you're born with that can become aggrivated when you breath in foreign air. You can take a spray to relieve the symptoms of Asthma, but you can't cure it.

And also I wasn't joking or making fun. I was just saying that if Ninten is in, he does not have to show his Asthma in any capacity (maybe a taunt or something) unless they want to make him the next Pichu or something.
It actually can go away, or at least mellow, after a few years if you're born with it or receive it at a very young age. You're stuck with it otherwise. I grew out of my asthma when I hit puberty. I guess I could still get an attack if there was some super-extreme conditions, but that's pretty unlikely. It's been nearly 10 years since I last had it bug me.

And a character with some sort of illness would rock XD Like a guy who chronically coughs blood when he's standing around, or someone who needs to pop pills to move after over exerting themselves. Why hasn't the ACLU jumped on fighting games about this one yet? It's prejudice against people with diseases! :laugh: :laugh:

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
FlipTroopa said:
It actually can go away, or at least mellow, after a few years if you're born with it or receive it at a very young age. You're stuck with it otherwise. I grew out of my asthma when I hit puberty. I guess I could still get an attack if there was some super-extreme conditions, but that's pretty unlikely. It's been nearly 10 years since I last had it bug me.

And a character with some sort of illness would rock XD Like a guy who chronically coughs blood when he's standing around, or someone who needs to pop pills to move after over exerting themselves. Why hasn't the ACLU jumped on fighting games about this one yet? It's prejudice against people with diseases! :laugh: :laugh:
Believe it or not, there is an ill character in a fighting game. Bleach DS. Ukitake randomly coughs, making himself utterly vulnerable, but he offsets this by having insanely powerful attacks.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
dotdotdot! said:
Believe it or not, there is an ill character in a fighting game. Bleach DS. Ukitake randomly coughs, making himself utterly vulnerable, but he offsets this by having insanely powerful attacks.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

xianfeng

Smash Hero
burrito said:
Yeah, Ninten looks almost exactly like Ness. In fact, I don't even think Ness is going to be in SSBB. They'll just replace him with Lucas from Mother 3, but keep all of Ness's moves.
Ness won't be removed he is one of the original 12 you moron

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
I don't think they can add in Ninten unless they made him cosmeticly different from Ness. They should add all the main characters from ALL the Earthbouind games!

Mother: Ninten
Mother 2: Ness
Earthbound 64: Flint
Mother 3: Lucas

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
I still don't get why we were "making fun" of Ninten by stating he has asthma. It's simply part of his character (Perhaps you Wiki'd "Mother 1" instead of "Ninten," because the Wiki article on "Mother 1" has no mention of asthma). Asthma can also be aggravated when you're doing strenuous physical activity too, you know (ie; beating up plumbers, turtle monsters, Hyrulians, and bounty hunters). Besides, Ninten having asthma isn't the reason I don't want him in the game. It's because of the reasons I mentioned earlier, particularly the look-a-likeness.

Edit: Random thought:
Izumi Curtis from Fullmetal Alchemist is also an ill character who still kicks arse.

Top Bottom