• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Ninten (MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Sakurai DID wanna axe Ness for the hero of EB64, but since that never came out, he kept Ness. So it's very unlikely now that he'll get rid of Ness after he's appeared in two games and gained such popularity. BUT since Sakurai showed intent to throw in stuff from Mother 3, we should expect that first and foremost.

Mother 1 already got its stinkin' music tracks in Melee. What more do you want? :laugh:

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
FlipTroopa said:
Sakurai DID wanna axe Ness for the hero of EB64, but since that never came out, he kept Ness. So it's very unlikely now that he'll get rid of Ness after he's appeared in two games and gained such popularity. BUT since Sakurai showed intent to throw in stuff from Mother 3, we should expect that first and foremost.

Mother 1 already got its stinkin' music tracks in Melee. What more do you want? :laugh:
Correction, Sakurai wanted to put Mother 3/64 characters in in the first place, but didn't get a chance to, so he settled for Ness (An awesome choice, seeing as how Ness is from the only American Mother game.)

The thing is, people who love Earthbound love Earthbound so much that we would love to have a fighting game all to ourselves starred the characters from all the Mother games, but since we have to share we want as many characters from as many sources as possible. I myself am more interested in M3 characters from Brawl (Duster!) but others who have played Mother 1/Earthbound 0 might want to see representation from that game.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
dotdotdot! said:
Correction, Sakurai wanted to put Mother 3/64 characters in in the first place, but didn't get a chance to, so he settled for Ness (An awesome choice, seeing as how Ness is from the only American Mother game.)

The thing is, people who love Earthbound love Earthbound so much that we would love to have a fighting game all to ourselves starred the characters from all the Mother games, but since we have to share we want as many characters from as many sources as possible. I myself am more interested in M3 characters from Brawl (Duster!) but others who have played Mother 1/Earthbound 0 might want to see representation from that game.
Touché... :laugh:

AgeofKnights

Smash Rookie
Q. Speaking of clones wouldnt Ganondorf be considered a clone?
A. Yes.

give him new moves like the black majic attack on OoT.

burrito

Smash Lord
xianfeng said:
Ness won't be removed he is one of the original 12 you moron
That doesn't mean that Ness wouldn't be removed. As said earlier, Ness was going to be replaced with a Earthbound 64 character in the first place, but the game never came out. Lucas is pretty much the same character as Ness anyways, except with blond hair instead of a cap. Replacing Ness with Lucas is kind of the same idea as replacing OOT Link with TP Link.

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
Requesting Lucas images, since google image search is a tough mistress. (No in-game images, please...)

burrito

Smash Lord
You want character art of Lucas? I don't think there is any. I could find some fanart, though.

Edit: Here's a fanart of Lucas (On the right) and his brother Claus (On the left):

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
I see. Well, he's different enough. Does he use bats, yo-yos, and other toys as weapons as well?

burrito

Smash Lord
How come I can't use in game screenshots? If you compare the sprite of Lucas in Mother 3 to the sprite of Ness in Mother 2, you can tell that it is just a modification of Ness's sprite.

I see. Well, he's different enough. Does he use bats, yo-yos, and other toys as weapons as well?
Yup, this is a mother game, is it not?

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
Well, the sprites tend to be very simplistic. Since he uses those kind of weapons, I guess the only thing that could make him different would be speed and PSI attacks... I do see him being in the game, though.

burrito

Smash Lord
I doubt he would be a different character. He would either replace Ness or be an alternate costume.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ah! Don't replace Ness! It may be alright for some, and Lucas may be practically the same character ability-wise, but I would know the difference. Ness is the only representation Mother has ever had stateside, and with the way Mother 3's chances of coming over are looking, it looks like it's going to stay that way for a while now. Ness is the US's only connection to Earthbound. If you want to add a Mother 3 character, fine, but Ness has priority.

burrito

Smash Lord
*shrug* I don't care either way. I just need a representative of the mother series.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Shigesato Itoi might decide to choose one MOTHER/EarthBound protagonist for SSBB.

No one should forget MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound, because it's the first of the series. Same goes to the arcade Punch-Out!! over the NES Punch-Out!! titles.

And here is a video of him talking about MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nst_P96GoRI

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Not another stupid character suggestion they are spreading like the plague. Why not keep the entire series on one thread so that one can say no to all of them from that series at the same time.

bbb

Smash Champion
I've always seen Ness as Ninten 2.0, Paula as Ana 2.0 and Jeff as Loid 2.0 but that's just me. Teddy and Poo aren't quite as similar however.:ohwell:

Edit: maybe when Ninten gets hit by Weezing he instantly dies due to asthma.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
You simply can't remove the best character in the game. (Ness) I would wnt him still though, just not replacing Ness. I would like him as my secondary!:)

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Not another stupid character suggestion they are spreading like the plague. Why not keep the entire series on one thread so that one can say no to all of them from that series at the same time.
Hey look who came out of the garbage!:laugh:

Anyways Ninten..should not be a Ness clone. Since he his a support character he should be able have some support moves.

parrothead

Smash Lord
MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound should not be forgotten, not only because it's the first of the MOTHER/EarthBound series, but it had a better television commercial than the other two did. Another reason why I think he has a chance at entering is because two songs played in the Onett stage are from MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound. If Ninten looks and fights too similar to Ness, then Sakurai can make him not look nor fight like Ness, by using different PSI/PK moves. Just because you don't know Ninten doesn't mean he'll never enter SSBB. Who knows?

xianfeng

Smash Hero
MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound should not be forgotten, not only because it's the first of the MOTHER/EarthBound series, but it had a better television commercial than the other two did. Another reason why I think he has a chance at entering is because two songs played in the Onett stage are from MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound. If Ninten looks and fights too similar to Ness, then Sakurai can make him not look nor fight like Ness, by using different PSI/PK moves. Just because you don't know Ninten doesn't mean he'll never enter SSBB. Who knows?
So what if it had a better tv ad we havn't even had a nintendo ad on TV since the 64.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
So what if it had a better tv ad we havn't even had a nintendo ad on TV since the 64.
umm... I just saw a commercial for both Metriod Prime: Hunters and Star Fox Commando yesterday o___o

EDIT: Oh yeah, your in Australia, and I think I heard you say the NOAu stopped advertizing after the N64, but Nintendo still produces commericals

xianfeng

Smash Hero
EDIT: Oh yeah, your in Australia, and I think I heard you say the NOAu stopped advertizing after the N64, but Nintendo still produces commericals
Nintendo of Australiua are usless *******s, they don't advertise, they don't make games (even NoA has Mario is missing) hell they don't even produce a magazine! All they do is distribute the games and consoles and every once in a while hold an event, not much.

parrothead

Smash Lord
According to Wikipedia, "The most notable difference is that Ninten has asthma while Ness suffers from homesickness."

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
If SSBB uses the DK Rap theme (which is vocal), then I would like for one of the MOTHER/EarthBound stages to have this song as an alternate background music.
ROFL!!!

The snl head bob is great! lol

Wow, that's like an ABBA kind of theme song. But I think on the official site Sakauri said the new music would be orchestrated with Latin vocals (such as the theme), but the idea of having that as a theme for Onett would be... Cool!!!

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
i'd have to say he'd be better for a trophy or even an AT but sadly not a newcomer (and i'm a mother series freak) but hey its anybodies guess, i mean if pichu earned a spotlight anything could happen

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
i'd have to say he'd be better for a trophy or even an AT but sadly not a newcomer (and i'm a mother series freak) but hey its anybodies guess, i mean if pichu earned a spotlight anything could happen
Trophy? How about an Assist Trophy? How would that work?

I'd think of one, myself, but I've never played Mother 1.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
he could be an AT but i think a starman would make a better Mother AT, and sadly he is way over shadowed by Lucas, but hey he made it into Sakurai's poll so it *could* happen

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Hey, I just realized something recently...

You know the music and alternate music for the Onett stage in Melee? They both originated in Mother 1. I think it's weird, because, of the music I've heard from Earthbound so far, I haven't heard either tunes in the game.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Hey, I just realized something recently...

You know the music and alternate music for the Onett stage in Melee? They both originated in Mother 1. I think it's weird, because, of the music I've heard from Earthbound so far, I haven't heard either tunes in the game.
Some songs in MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound were also used in MOTHER 2/SNES EarthBound. That song in SSBM titled "MOTHER 2" is heard during two parts of MOTHER 2/SNES EarthBound:

|1.| After Buzz Buzz dies, and when you walk out the door of the Minch family's home, you'll heard the first part of the song "I Believe in You".

AND

|2.| Inside Ness's home, the rest of the song "I Believe in You" can be heard in the BGM.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Some songs in MOTHER 1/NES EarthBound were also used in MOTHER 2/SNES EarthBound. That song in SSBM titled "MOTHER 2" is heard during two parts of MOTHER 2/SNES EarthBound:

|1.| After Buzz Buzz dies, and when you walk out the door of the Minch family's home, you'll heard the first part of the song "I Believe in You".

AND

|2.| Inside Ness's home, the rest of the song "I Believe in You" can be heard in the BGM.
"I Believe in You"...

you know, I think I've actually heard a song, which someone sing to that tune!

Top Bottom