• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: DeMille (Demiru in Japan) (from Tomato Adventure)

Florida

イーグランツ
can you tell me this guy's story/role/what kind of game he is in etc etc??

from his shape he looks like a VERY LIKLEY addition to brawl.sound like a Brawl material too.
Name: DeMille (Demiru in Japan)
First Game Appearance: Tomato Adventure (Japan-Only) (before Tomato Adventure, it was being planned for Game Boy Color as Gimmick Land, but then Nintendo and AlphaDream cancelled it, and changed the plans and name)
Platform: GBA
Home Stage: Kobora Village
Main Area of Home Stage: Ketchup Kingdom​

That was quoted from the first page in this thread, you should check it out if you want more information on Derimu. He has only starred in one game, I believe, which is Tomato Adventure. An RPG game created by AlphaDream. Here are some videos of gameplay:

YouTube and Zippy. Parrothead knows a lot more information about Derimu than I do, so I guess he could give you more information than what I provided.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
cool, although i only got one game play video .....

OMG ALPHADREAM?!?! these guys are the ones that made Mario and Luigi partners in time!!! it is my favorite!!

anyway, that video was enough, he really is a Brawl material IMO.

best luck DeMille fans! sorry buti am a Stafy supporter ^3^

Florida

イーグランツ
cool, although i only got one game play video .....

OMG ALPHADREAM?!?! these guys are the ones that made Mario and Luigi partners in time!!! it is my favorite!!

anyway, that video was enough, he really is a Brawl material IMO.

best luck DeMille fans! sorry buti am a Stafy supporter ^3^
That just shows that parrothead put thought into his character suggestions, which you don't see in most of the threads anymore. I, personally, do not like the character Stafy, but we're all entitled to our own opinions. D4B.

Edit: I added "Speed" and "Range" in the status section in my moveset on page 13, forgot to add that before.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Tomato Adventure was created by Chihiro Fujioka, who also did Koto Battle (AlphaDream's first video game), some hand held Hamtaro titles, Final Fantasy Legend III, the two Mario & Luigi titles, and the most popular of all: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

Tomato Adventure (not in my opinion) is |1.| a little too odd for gamers to understand it, even its name sounds odd, and |2.| most gamers and RPG-lovers prefer Medieval/Fantasy RPGs more than off-the-wall RPGs. These are some reasons why Tomato Adventure wasn't released outside of Japan.

Why are we supporting DeMille? Because |1.| he was mentioned twice in Sakurai's poll, |2.| he is an AlphaDream representative besides the Mario characters, |3.| if he enters, he will become more popular and could cause Nintendo and AlphaDream to create a new Tomato Adventure title, and perhaps release it inside and outside Japan, and |4.| the GBA is becoming obsolete, but it's still in use thanks to the Game Boy Micro and the Nintendo DS's GBA port. 1UP.com thought that Tomato Adventure and some other GBA titles would be nice to increase the GBA's lifespan.

And why do I refer to Tomato Adventure's protagonist as "DeMille"? Because after I copied and pasted his Japanese name (デミル) in Google, I encountered some English names and most of them are "Nelson DeMille". I even used the best Japanese/English online translator available to translate his name, and it exactly spells "DeMille". "Demiru" is the romanji (or pronounciation) of DeMille's Japanese name (デ = De, ミ = mi, and ル = ru). Every time that there's an "R" in Japanese, it should be replaced by an "L". I don't know everything about Japanese, so go learn about it at Wikipedia, if you want to.

If DeMille can't be a playable character, then he might as well be an Assist Trophy. Many people never thought Dr. Wright from the SNES Sim City and Sim City 64 would enter, but he was mentioned once in Sakurai's poll, and became an Assist Trophy. When people saw him as an Assist Trophy, several of them started comparing him to Phoenix Wright (because of their last names being the same) and Adolf Hitler (because of their mustaches and taunts, but I believe Dr. Wright looks more like Groucho Marx and Will Wright). Hope something like this won't happen to DeMille if he enters as an Assist Trophy or a playable character.

Florida

イーグランツ
Bleh, I just realized that I've been calling Demiru, "Derimu" for the last week or so. Whoops. Thanks for the loads of info parrothead,

Chickenboy666

Smash Ace
I hope that Demille will be PC, or at least AT, as parrothead said, Dr Wright has one mention in the poll and now he's an AT.

Demille is cute, and has a cool style, also he would be a great PC. Demille for Brawl!!!

I also support Stafy, but my favorite ones are Demille and Isaac =P

the grim lizard

Smash Master
OK...the gimmicks look pretty cool. If they did stuff like that, I could see it working.

That look like a really bizarre game, btw...

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Funny story:

Today my mom and I when to a fast food place called "Tom Wahls", and I looked over at the ketchup dispenser, and it said "Heinz Tomato Ketchup", and all I could think of was the Tomato Adventure commercial tune!

"Tomato-mato-mato, Ketchup-p! Tomato-mato-mato, Ketchup-p!" :p

Fawriel

Smash Master
Sakurai implementing characters with extremely unique twists ( one might say "gimmicks" ): CONFIRMED!

Demille: Confirmed?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!=?!?!="?=!?"§=?=!?)!$`?)$'E)R$"=§R?ir

the grim lizard

Smash Master
The Devil was in a game that wasn't allowed in the US because of censorship. Demille...mostly because of just taste in general (Japanese have odd taste, just look at their cartoons.)

Anyway, I did like the gimmicks I saw from the YouTube video. If Sakurai liked him and included him, I wouldn't mind him.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
The Devil was in a game that wasn't allowed in the US because of censorship. Demille...mostly because of just taste in general (Japanese have odd taste, just look at their cartoons.)

Anyway, I did like the gimmicks I saw from the YouTube video. If Sakurai liked him and included him, I wouldn't mind him.
Are you saying they didn't let Tomato Adventure in America because of bad taste?! Just look at Wario!

Wow, i'd love to see this character in brawl! He's seems like a very unique character with all his gadgets and gimmicks and what not! XD

Fawriel

Smash Master
Demille.
As I said, Sakurai seems to be all over the originality, and with all the gimmicks, Demille brings lots of potential for a different style from others.
Stafy could maybe have strange aerials that allow him to shoot around in mid-air, but that's about it.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Demille.
As I said, Sakurai seems to be all over the originality, and with all the gimmicks, Demille brings lots of potential for a different style from others.
Stafy could maybe have strange aerials that allow him to shoot around in mid-air, but that's about it.
Stafy can't fly. He mostly swims, and that is probably one reason why he wasn't mentioned in Sakurai's poll. Another reason why is that the SSB series takes place more on land than in water. However, Stafy's lobster known as Grandfather Rob probably can make a tidal wave splash on stage, so that Stafy can fight better.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Stafy can't fly. He mostly swims, and that is probably one reason why he wasn't mentioned in Sakurai's poll. Another reason why is that the SSB series takes place more on land than in water. However, Stafy's lobster known as Grandfather Rob probably can make a tidal wave splash on stage, so that Stafy can fight better.
I'd like to talk more about Stafy, AND Grandfather Rob, but this isn't the right topic (talk to me through PM).

Right, I've been playing EarthBound lately, and people say Tomato Adventure is like EarthBound, is that true?

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
demille would be a very interesting addition, but my pick for japan only is stafy because i know more about him. could you give me some comparitive info between the two

parrothead

Smash Lord
I'd like to talk more about Stafy, AND Grandfather Rob, but this isn't the right topic (talk to me through PM).

Right, I've been playing EarthBound lately, and people say Tomato Adventure is like EarthBound, is that true?
Well, sort of. It's mostly because of walking around in the "overhead view mode", but not when fighting enemies.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
yah, demille looks similar to the mario and luigi as far as battle screens go. and if you want to play an earthbound ripoff try out pokemon. the game borrowed allot of elements from that and monkey puncher

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
Is he owned by Nintendo or no?
Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Ice Climbers, The G&W series, Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing and MOTHER series are first party chracters.

the others are second party which includes Kirby series, Pokemon and some others.

Smash itself is a second party :p

Demille is i believe second party, in the same position as Kirby and Pika.

parrothead

Smash Lord
I found this on the Internet several months ago or last year.

This probably means that the Tomato Adventure characters ARE Nintendo characters. Why? Read the two words on top of it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I found this on the Internet several months ago or last year.

This probably means that the Tomato Adventure characters ARE Nintendo characters. Why? Read the two words on top of it.
Well, AlphaDream is a 2nd-party developer to Nintendo, and 2nd-party characters have always been apart of Smash... Smash itself is 2nd-party. :ohwell:

parrothead

Smash Lord
Over looked and unknown characters are over looked and unknown for a reason: they suck. Please none of them in Brawl. That goes for this thing, too.
You are being worse than one of the members of this forum known as "The Basement Dweller". Just because many people don't know these characters DOESN'T MEAN THEY SUCK. I don't know much about Geno (and I'm serious), does that mean he sucks? NO! However, I'm not really interested in him. And many people know Link's Uncle, does that mean he would be a very good choice for SSBB? NO! Even though, he can fight, he doesn't have that much potential + he never did much anything good. Popularity doesn't mean everything.

The Game & Watch series (the ones that Mr. Game & Watch is based on) was popular back in the 80s, before the Famicom/NES and during the Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Colecovision systems. The main reason why Mr. Game & Watch was added to SSBB is that Sakurai and the rest of the Nintendo staff wanted someone to pay tribute to Gunpei Yokoi.

Top Bottom