• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: DeMille (Demiru in Japan) (from Tomato Adventure)

parrothead

Smash Lord

Congratulations Image (Click to enlarge)

Name: DeMille (Demiru in Japan)
First Game Appearance: Tomato Adventure (Japan-Only) (before Tomato Adventure, it was being planned for Game Boy Color as Gimmick Land, but then Nintendo and AlphaDream cancelled it, and changed the plans and name)
Platform: GBA
Home Stage: Kobora Village
Main Area of Home Stage: Ketchup Kingdom

Weight: 2/5
Size: 3/5
Power: 3/5
Jump: 4/5
Speed: 3/5

Brief info about DeMille: DeMille is an 8-year old hare who hates tomatoes. His toy-like weapons called Gimmicks were created by the Hanzos and his friend and neighbor, Seremo. His speech and behavior is entertaining, if they are understandable to users of the English language.

Here is his brief info from the Tomato Adventure web site in Japanese, and you may translate it if you want to:

トマトが大嫌い。そのため、「ドロッパーズ」として辺境の村コボレーに住んでいる。重大な問題でも重大と感じずに、すっとぼけた言動でやり過ごしてしまう能天気な楽天家。しかもおだてられやすい。いわゆる単細胞。

Reason why he might enter SSBB: He was mentioned twice in Sakurai's SSBB poll with many words. One of them told Sakurai that DeMille could use one of the extreme attacks from Tomato Adventure as his Final Smash move. DeMille also has plenty of moves for Sakurai to choose from. If Sakurai can't add Geno, then he'll probably add DeMille instead, because Super Mario RPG and Tomato Adventure are both produced by Chihiro Fujioka. He also produced Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, which is why Geno made a cameo in that game. If DeMille became an Assist Trophy, then what would he do? Sakurai said he will add some Japan-Only characters, but not too many.

SPECIAL MOVES: (NOTE: Some of this GIFs might not work on certain PCs)

B: Gear Yo-Yo

(Uses gear-shaped, yo-yo that hits the opponent two times with 6% of attack power. It can only be used for close-range attacking)

Forward+B: Linear Glove

Official Art

(Sends a projectile toward an opponent, while it returns from the opposite direction of whichever direction it was shot at. It's a bit faster than Samus's Missle. Gives 11% of damage.)

Down+B: Noisy Face

Official Art

(Swings an iron ball with a face on it toward the ground to bring a pillar of fire out of the ground. Gives 16% of damage. Can only be used for close-range attacking.)

Up+B: Hoverboard (This is not one of his Gimmicks, but he used it in some parts of the RPG. If he was using it in SSBB, then he would use it like an airboard, while he would use a limited amount of fuel to hover for a short time)

When DeMille uses his hoverboard:

After DeMille uses his hoverboard while in the air:

(When on the ground, the fire from the rockets built into the Hoverboard will burst toward both directions at a very short distance, while DeMille will fly upward at a long distance for a short time. When in the air, the Hoverboard will fly upward at a short distance, while DeMille will still be on it, making him fall a bit slower than before.)

CLICK HERE to see all of his Gimmicks in action.

Extreme Attack: Patharan's Song (Patharan (Pasaran in Japan) is his girlfriend. Her song causes a mysterious lighting bolt to strike DeMille to make him invincible and a bit more agile for about 30 seconds. Click here to watch it. For other Extreme Attacks in Tomato Adventure, click here)

Taunt: Looks like this while a question mark appears above him.

Entrance: Hops out of his Snea-Car (image below) or hops out of Aresa's (or Aretha's) Tomato Robot MK. 2, while it flies away (Aretha (Aresa in Japan) is one of DeMille's three partners).

When Kirby copies him.

Here is the Wikipedia article for Tomato Adventure. I wrote it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_Adventure

Here are some other videos of Tomato Adventure found in...

Zippy Videos

AND

YouTube

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . .Wow . . . I have to give you props for all the pics and vids.(I DON'T HAVE TO SEARCH ALL OVER THE WEB TO FIND OUT WHO YOUR TALKING ABOUT!!!(^_^). . . many people can learn from you.)

This character looks pretty good. You have gotten me behind this character even tho I have never seen him JUST by the presentation of his moves. He reminds me of Ness. . .It would be good to have another character that uses things like Ness.

I agree. He would be good for the game.(And to anyone that says "hes not popular enuff" the boss man himself said that they are looking for unique characters and he seems to fit that.)

parrothead

Smash Lord
I forgot to add more info to Pasaran's Song, so now I've updated it. Anyone else believe Demiru/Demille would be a good character in SSBB?

parrothead

Smash Lord
I asked a real translator to translate my Demiru/Demille submission, but not only he/she translated it, but he/she also sent it to Sakurai. It's been a week since that happened and no sign of Demiru/Demille. He doesn't fight like Ness very much.

Yesterday, I sent the Demiru/Demille submission three more times on three out of five of my family's PCs to avoid being noticed by the IP address. I also used different nicknames and words.

burrito

Smash Lord
This is a Japan only game, right? According to Samurai Panda's translation thread, Sakurai said, "Now that Smash is world-renowned, they don't want to include characters only popular in Japan." So, it makes it kind of unlikely.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
WHO CARES WHAT EVERYONE ELSE THINKS! NOW I WANT HIM BADLY!!!...

Really, I downloaded the rom once, and I really liked the game. But it's hard to play an RPG in japanese and then my computer crashed so I lost the game (Sniff).
BTW, this game is from Alphadream, the genuises behind Mario & Luigi sagas. So it would be a great way to make people know them.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
burrito said:
This is a Japan only game, right? According to Samurai Panda's translation thread, Sakurai said, "Now that Smash is world-renowned, they don't want to include characters only popular in Japan." So, it makes it kind of unlikely.
He also mentioned that they still may due to the success of the Fire Emblem characters.

Who knows?

parrothead

Smash Lord
burrito said:
Just to avoid making it be like Namco X Capcom, which was loaded with Japan-Only characters.

Sakurai also wouldn't want Mike Jones (StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge; not to be confused with the rapper) nor Tin Star (Tin Star), because they were only released outside of Japan.

burrito

Smash Lord
Shadow Calibur said:
He also mentioned that they still may due to the success of the Fire Emblem characters.

Who knows?
Oh right, kind of missed that. Well, uh, nevermind me.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
This game is a lot like Mario and Luigi in design, which always made it appealing for me. Demiru would be a really nifty character addition; I can see it. Props once again for spreading the word!

parrothead

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
This game is a lot like Mario and Luigi in design, which always made it appealing for me. Demiru would be a really nifty character addition; I can see it. Props once again for spreading the word!
But it was created before Mario & Luigi 1 and 2.

Here is what the Tomato Adventure title opening looks like.

I am responsible for the Wikipedia article.

AND

I am responsible for uploading the commercial ad on YouTube.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
But it was created before Mario & Luigi 1 and 2.

Here is what the Tomato Adventure title opening looks like.

I am responsible for the Wikipedia article.

AND

I am responsible for uploading the commercial ad on YouTube.
...I know. I read about it when it was first unveiled. I was just remarking that, since I liked Mario and Luigi, it might be worth my while to go back and play this one. It's something I had in mind for a while, though I never really considered Demiru appearing in Brawl.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
Just to avoid making it be like Namco X Capcom, which was loaded with Japan-Only characters.

Sakurai also wouldn't want Mike Jones (StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge; not to be confused with the rapper) nor Tin Star (Tin Star), because they were only released outside of Japan.
Star Tropics was never released in Japan? Why not? That game was awesome! It was like Zelda in a tropical region.

burrito

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
Star Tropics was never released in Japan? Why not? That game was awesome! It was like Zelda in a tropical region.
It was targeted to Americans and they didn't think it would fit for a Japanese audience, I guess.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
It was meant to be a game specifically catered to Americans, I guess. Punch-Out!! games were a little more universal, despite their own heavily-American influence, but Star Tropics is pretty much inaccessible to Japanese storywise, unless they changed stuff around.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Some reasons why Tomato Adventure wasn't released outside of Japan, are:

• It is too wierd for people outside of Japan to understand it.
  • Many RPG gamers prefer RPGs with swords, magic, and dragons, than RPGs with extremely off-the-wall weapons and enemies. I know there are some good RPGs that don't have much anything to do with Mid-Age content, like the Mario RPGs and the MOTHER/EarthBound titles.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not on my most wanted list, but Im good with almost any characters
Nice addition, and thanks for the gifs.

parrothead

Smash Lord
If Sakurai adds Demiru/Demille, then it might make people get more familiar with AlphaDream.

Demiru/Demille is quite popular, and is probably my most wanted Nintendo character to be added into SSBB. I even found an artwork of him taking place in SSBM, and I know it's fake:

Kirby PopStar

Smash Cadet
Holy crap, another Tomato Adventure fan? Awesome!

I would definetly like to see Demille as a character, but I don't think it will happen simply because of the character's obscurity combined with his Japan only appearances.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I though you looked familiar. You go to the Nintendo Database forums dont you Parrot Head? I though I knew you from somewhere. This might also explain the want for a character that no one else has heard of.

Also I think it was mentioned, but it looks so simular to Mario and Luigi because its made by the same Development team, Alphadream. They are second party aren't they.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Kirby PopStar said:
Holy crap, another Tomato Adventure fan? Awesome!

I would definetly like to see Demille as a character, but I don't think it will happen simply because of the character's obscurity combined with his Japan only appearances.
And your saying Kirby and Pikachu don't look like that?

This guy is almost a given. I Never played the game but he seems like a cool guy, like Kirby! He fits right in.

And hey, just because he's Japanese-only doesn't mean they can't release the game outside the country with him in it. *cough*marth&roy*cough*

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Dosn't seem like this character will get in Brawl. Hes a cool character, but might be pushed out for others. Theres other oobscured characters and he seems very easy to brease over.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Sakurai should add Demiru/Demille as a special appreciation to AlphaDream for helping Nintendo develop some good RPG titles for GBA and DS. I have a feeling that Sakurai would add Demiru/Demille, because of the way he uses his Gimmicks, and the way he looks and acts. If Sakurai wants to add a character from a title developed by AlphaDream and Nintendo, this one is the best choice. He doesn't fight much like anyone from the MOTHER/EarthBound titles, but Sakurai might add Mike Jones (StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge; not to be confused with the rapper) as the clone/semi-clone of Demiru/Demille.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
He's been requested twice on the poll so far, and both letters go on at length explaining why he would be a good idea...

parrothead

Smash Lord
I really hope that Demiru/Demille would enter as a playable character. Come on Sakurai, add him to your list of playable characters.

Chidosengan said:
And your saying Kirby and Pikachu don't look like that?

This guy is almost a given. I Never played the game but he seems like a cool guy, like Kirby! He fits right in.

And hey, just because he's Japanese-only doesn't mean they can't release the game outside the country with him in it. *cough*marth&roy*cough*
I'm not sure if Nintendo would publish out-dated titles into America nor other countries outside of Japan. Eventhough, they released the Game Boy Micro as the last breath of the GBA series, and people are playing the NDS more than the GBA. If Nintendo releases Tomato Adventure outside of Japan, people won't buy it, because they'll think it's a rip-off of the Mario & Luigi titles. Also, most RPG gamers prefer medieval/fantasy RPGs (like Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, Phantasy Star, etc.) more than off-the-wall RPGs (Klonoa RPGs, MOTHER/EarthBound RPGs, Mario RPGs, Namco X Capcom, Tomato Adventure, etc.).

parrothead

Smash Lord

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
parrothead said:
*bump*

Here are all of the Extreme Attacks used in Tomato Adventure:

Mecha-Mecha Panic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6hg5LNCUk

Tomato Robot MK. II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4XP69FUnCw

Sunny Sometimes??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw--jHd7bgE

Gulp Choco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWVbFi4wW2s

Mole Rush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duUZ6GqJQ58

AND

Pasaran's Song (with Demille's/Demiru's "Noisy Face" Gimmick)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv73Dtm-ztg
But what to give him as a Super Smash? Decisions, decisions... :confused:

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
parrothead said:

[B]Down+B: Noisy Face[/B]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/frodaddy/demiru32.gif

TOTAL RIP-OFF OF GINTA AND BABBO FROM "Mar"

JK! I think he would be an intersting addirtion, long with Cupid, Uniracer, Cupid, and basically everyother character you have ideas for!

Still, I can't shake the feeling that he looks like a Ginta/Babbo rip-off from "Mar"...

EDIT: Wow, one of my first posts ever. I was such a n00b back then @_@

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Dont know who are GINTA AND BABBO. But I think Demiru really scaled up in my Brawl wishlist when parrothead made this topic. So it deserves this...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Demiru's not that far off in likelihood, either. It's a very unique game, and original at that (as in, no sequels). Demiru appears on the big list twice, and Sakurai I'm sure knows who he is.

Top Bottom