• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Challengers! Fire Emblem's Robin and Lucina, Featuring Captain Falcon

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Ah, wonderful. The beauty of being here is that NOW is the earliest time I can discover the awesomeness, 320+ messages after everyone else. :awesome:

Looking excellent, I'll be giving Robin a lot of play time. THAT is a sword I wanna get. Interesting to see a fair few swordsmiths in this game; seven when you include Toon Link and the Mii Fighter. I'd call that a significant fraction.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Did anyone else notice that Ike seemed to finally have blue fire when using eruption. His reveal photos showed they were still plain old flames, but it looks like they've changed it.

EDIT: Occurs at 2:07-2:08 in the new trailer.

Last edited:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
I have had some thoughts for a while now about this reveal, but I didn't want to sign up for this site just to say em. I finally caved in today, only to find that I had signed up for this site before, only to say back on March 22nd, I think, how Robin and Lucina (and Basilio) would be better additions in my opinion than Chrom would have been. So, let me take you through my thoughts lately.

Sakurai announces a new character reveal video coming soon. I think 'cool', at first.

Later, I go through the comments section on that post. After wading through all the obnoxious speculation and thinking about characters I used to be interested in seeing, (Robin, Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie, maybe, being just some of them,) I realized that only two people would get me excited, that I could think of. I no longer cared about the others, really. My mind is in a different place now.

Impa, and Toad (or Captain Toad, either/or or both or whatever worked would be fine). Both would help promote upcoming games. Both have amazing history with the company. I did end up seeing a Hyrule Warriors trailer with Impa in it finally after that thought, which made me rethink my inclusion of her here, but oh well. I still think (maybe?) I would've been more excited to see her here than Robin or Lucina. But I figure whoever it'll be, Sakurai will make em work or look cool.

So anyway, I saw the video today and thought 'eh, I'm not impressed.' Neither new character really stood out or seemed all that special to me. I was wrong in thinking that they would beforehand. I figured my reaction would be similarly shared on here.

Later in the day, I check on here, and nope, I was wrong about people being equally indifferent to it. Most people here seem pretty jazzed. Well, that's pretty cool. I'm glad most of you like the reveal, even if I was just like 'eh,' overall.

But uh, yeah. Impa and Toad (and/or Captain Toad) I think might actually be the only new characters I might be excited about. And if they don't make it in, I can understand. Um... shoot, was there any point to this other than to...? Well to get all that off my chest, I guess. Now you know, internet. Now you know what one man's opinion is. I'm sure you have a severe lack of "one man's opinions" on here, don't you, internet?

Basically what I'm saying here is that aside from those two I mentioned, I've seen all I've wanted to see. I don't want to discourage a roster with more and more options, of course, but as far as I'm concerned, I've got everyone I need in there, and so most anyone after that, is... alright, so that must be to make someone else happy or something. Shrug.

Sorry to come across as a buzzkill, but I don't really talk to people in real life about Smash much, so you guys just got my full thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
ABOVE ALL ELSE, Smash should be fun, and that is why I whole-heartedly applaud Sakurai for this reveal trailer.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
yeah, so here we have another blue haired swordfighter taking a slot from the roster =(

I really hope she's gonna be more different... at least make her move like Roy or something...

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I have had some thoughts for a while now about this reveal, but I didn't want to sign up for this site just to say em. I finally caved in today, only to find that I had signed up for this site before, only to say back on March 22nd, I think, how Robin and Lucina (and Basilio) would be better additions in my opinion than Chrom would have been. So, let me take you through my thoughts lately.

Sakurai announces a new character reveal video coming soon. I think 'cool', at first.

Later, I go through the comments section on that post. After wading through all the obnoxious speculation and thinking about characters I used to be interested in seeing, (Robin, Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie, maybe, being just some of them,) I realized that only two people would get me excited, that I could think of. I no longer cared about the others, really. My mind is in a different place now.

Impa, and Toad (or Captain Toad, either/or or both or whatever worked would be fine). Both would help promote upcoming games. Both have amazing history with the company. I did end up seeing a Hyrule Warriors trailer with Impa in it finally after that thought, which made me rethink my inclusion of her here, but oh well. I still think (maybe?) I would've been more excited to see her here than Robin or Lucina. But I figure whoever it'll be, Sakurai will make em work or look cool.

So anyway, I saw the video today and thought 'eh, I'm not impressed.' Neither new character really stood out or seemed all that special to me. I was wrong in thinking that they would beforehand. I figured my reaction would be similarly shared on here.

Later in the day, I check on here, and nope, I was wrong about people being equally indifferent to it. Most people here seem pretty jazzed. Well, that's pretty cool. I'm glad most of you like the reveal, even if I was just like 'eh,' overall.

But uh, yeah. Impa and Toad (and/or Captain Toad) I think might actually be the only new characters I might be excited about. And if they don't make it in, I can understand. Um... shoot, was there any point to this other than to...? Well to get all that off my chest, I guess. Now you know, internet. Now you know what one man's opinion is. I'm sure you have a severe lack of "one man's opinions" on here, don't you, internet?

Basically what I'm saying here is that aside from those two I mentioned, I've seen all I've wanted to see. I don't want to discourage a roster with more and more options, of course, but as far as I'm concerned, I've got everyone I need in there, and so most anyone after that, is... alright, so that must be to make someone else happy or something. Shrug.

Sorry to come across as a buzzkill, but I don't really talk to people in real life about Smash much, so you guys just got my full hot and steamy load here, pent up from since Friday, at least, all over your respective faces, I suppose.
Ghirahim would make more sense than Impa. We need more villains.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I loved the reveal. I don't play Fire Emblem, but I really like that Robin. Seems very unique. Lucina is pretty cool as well, even if she is a clone. But, clones will be apart of Smash as long as Luigi is Mario's brother. I think it's healthy to have one obvious clone per game. But, Captain Falcon really was what stood out to me. Stole the show, utterly and completely. The Falcon Punch in HD is so beautiful:grin:. His special moves are all amazing. Now all need is for Falcon Dive to be confirmed. I made a GIF to commemorate.
Falcon PWNED!!.gif

Last edited:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Ghirahim would make more sense than Impa. We need more villains.
Yeah, let's throw in the queer-bashing character. If Ghirahim gets in with no Ganondorf, I'll be like, 'dat ain't cute, dawg,' and Sakurai will be like, 'I'm sorry,' and I'll be like, 'it's ok. The ultimate decision is up to you, after all.'

NintyTheRagekid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintyTheRageKid
3DS FC
5455-9431-1608
Switch FC
SW-2209-3322-3333
Because clone engine.
No, because the video and poster is already on Robin's page. Lucina is listed as a newcomer on her page. And oddly enough, on the mobile version of the site she is listed as a newcomer on the homepage.
(That's a lot of pages.)

meatloaf

Smash Rookie
NNID
dedede34
3DS FC
5215-0917-5545
Well, I'm glad C.F is back.. don't really care about the TWO NEW Fire Emblem reps though.. seriously, two wasn't enough?

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
And thus, Sakurai trolls Chrom fans by including Chrom's daughter AND his best friend/potential wife but not Chrom himself XD

Also while Lucina being a clone is weird, it does make sense considering Marth is her ancestor and she impersonated him in Awakening :)

NintyTheRagekid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintyTheRageKid
3DS FC
5455-9431-1608
Switch FC
SW-2209-3322-3333
And thus, Sakurai trolls Chrom fans by including Chrom's daughter AND his best friend/potential wife but not Chrom himself XD

Also while Lucina being a clone is weird, it does make sense considering Marth is her ancestor and she impersonated him in Awakening :)
SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
  • So. Lucina aside. Robin is wicked as hell. Question,
    can we count him/her as a hero and a villain?
    Statement, I hope we get a hooded Robin costume.

Cancel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Diaz30
To be honest I would have been fine with just having Robin (and Robin was obviously going to get in once Wii Fit, Villager & Mii Fighters got in the roster), Lucina is a direct clone of Marth (thereby we got our Roy back but in disguised as Lucina), however unlike Roy, Fire Emblem needed a female rep, although they had to go with Lucina (then again doesn't bother me, since Lucina is going to be even better than Marth, since he got nerfed).

And Sakurai said before revealing Toon Link that he wanted to cut down on the clones (with customization in the game clones should have been a thing in the past), but with Lucina in as a newcomer this means Falco, Wolf, Ganondorf all have a surefire shot to return.

Regardless these games roster is going to be massive (then again a clone or 2 wouldn't hurt the game, as long as Lucina doesn't have Critical Hit as her Final Smash).
Very true, well said i just want ganon to make it back if not then ill just replace him with like charizard or something.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
  • So. Lucina aside. Robin is wicked as hell. Question,
    can we count him/her as a hero and a villain?
    Statement, I hope we get a hooded Robin costume.
Oh yeah, that's true. I guess Robin could count as either one. Personally:
I would lean more towards hero because his Final Smash teams up with Chrom instead of turning into Grima

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, that's true. I guess Robin could count as either one. Personally:
I would lean more towards hero because his Final Smash teams up with Chrom instead of turning into Grima
This is true. haha. I was going to say Robin counts as both but that does make lean more toward that side.

Sababu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sababu1
R.I.P GEMATSU :awesome:

EDIT: First time I made a post that got over 100 likes :awesome:
Maybe Nintendo actually pays attention to the community and they wanted to troll us and Gematsu by releasing Shulk and Chorus Men later. Maybe they cut Chrom and easily ported in Lucinia instead cause they hate the internet.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Lucina.... Never understood the hype about it. I knew if she was added into Smash she'd be a Marth clone. I mean she literally mocks and calls herself Marth in Awakening.

They should have used Chrom. I'd see him being the middle ground between Marth and Ike... Heavier hits than Marth / weaker than Ike and faster movements than Ike / slower than marth

oscil8

Smash Rookie
I have no idea why people are hyped for lucina.. she's just Marth without a tipper. Chrom would have been soooo much better

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I haven't played Fire Emblem so I wouldn't know the hype. However, maybe she has some really great dialgoue/ does some really cool stuff in the games aside from pretending to be Marth.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Nintendo actually pays attention to the community and they wanted to troll us and Gematsu by releasing Shulk and Chorus Men later. Maybe they cut Chrom and easily ported in Lucinia instead cause they hate the internet.
I considered something like that. But then again, I don't hold much stock in what Gematsu said, because to include Shulk and Chorus Men.... Ah, I'll just shut my yapper here. It just seemed unlikely. Why would they get in before better-known characters? I predicted Robin and Lucina (kinda, sorta, maybe), so prepare yourself for Captain Toad sometime. Whatever he does.

Dreamer_

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3496-9337-7244
I'm so glad Roy-I mean Lucina is confirmed for Smash 4. Gonna practice with her and Kirby like crazy!

GOLDENMOP

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, you know how chrom will get his chance another day? what if he is a guest character in soulcalibur 6? *PogChamp face*

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
So I did a bit more research on Captain Toad. Looks like he does nothing that seems like it could help in Smash Bros. to make him a full fighter. I dunno who'd be next, then. Professor Layton? I unno.

Top Bottom