• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Brawl Ruleset and how it affects Lucario.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=282811

Official BBR Recommended Rule List 3.0
Super Smash Brothers: Brawl

This is the official rule set version 3.0 of the Smash Back Room: Brawl (BBR). The rules at any particular tournament are always at the discretion of the tournament organizer, but we recommend this rule set as a base guideline for all tournament organizers to use.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---​

General rules:

3 Stock
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"

• If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

• Resolving Ties: If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock, 3 minute, same characters, same stage rematch.

• All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

• In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.

• You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

• Extending Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape by leaving the ground and returning to it while invisible is banned. (For example, flicking the C-Stick up while holding down on the control stick during the move will cause this to happen.)

• Stalling is banned.
    Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while using an infinite to run out the timer rather than to score a KO is. As such, any infinite chain-grabs, locks, etc. cannot exceed 300%.

• Any action which prevents the game from continuing (i.e. by causing the game to crash or causing all characters to freeze indefinitely) is banned. If the Tournament Organizer or a judge can conclusively determine the player responsible for the failure, that player loses the interrupted game. Players are expected to know their characters and prevent this from happening.

• Some interactions (for example, a throw with a wind attack) can cause one character to become frozen until being hit. If this happens, the free character is expected to capitalize on this in a timely manner; a failure to do so is stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Opponents make their character select screen choices for the first match. *

2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure.

The stage striking order changes depending on the number of stages allowed. When reading this order, “1” is player 1 and “2” is player 2. The optimal striking orders are as follows:

• 3 Stages: 2-1
  • 5 Stages: 1-2-2-1
  • 7 Stages: 1-1-2-2-2-1
  • 9 Stages: 1-1-1-2-2-2-2-1
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set.

4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.

5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List. **

6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.

7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.

8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches.

*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match. Also, the choices made here include the character's color and whether the player will start as Samus or Zero Suit Samus, as Zelda or Sheik, or as a particular Pokemon for Pokemon Trainer.

**No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.​

Additional rules for Doubles play:

Team Attack must be set to ON.
Sharing stocks is allowed.

The controller ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

If the clock expires in a team match and the total number of stocks of each team is equal, use the sum of the final percentage of players on each team as the tiebreaker; whichever team has a lower sum wins. (A player who has been eliminated has no stocks and 0%).

In team play, causing both characters of a team to become frozen (i.e. by interrupting a throw with a wind attack) is to be treated the same way as freezing the opponent in singles. Leaving only one of your opponent's characters frozen is legal since the teammate can work to undo the freeze.​

Optional Rules:

• Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.

• The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is 2 minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After 6 minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.

• Color Blind Rule: In team games, it may be requested that certain characters be assigned a specific team color in order to prevent any unnecessary confusion. For instance, Sonic, Lucario, or Falco may be requested to be assigned the blue team color.

Recommended Stage List:

The below Starter/Counter list has a list of three stages, followed by three sections of two stages each. In order to use this, start with the top three stages in the list, and adjust the starter list between 3 and 9 stages by going down the list and adding the next two stages until the desired number of stages is reached. Keep in mind that "Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium" is a correct use of this, but "Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Final Destination" is not. Go down the list; do not mix and match. Any remaining stages not used in the Starter list will be moved to the tournament's Counter list.

The Counterpick list is a list of stages that should be universally allowed as legal Counterpick stages.

The Counter/Banned list is a list of stages that may be allowed as a legal Counterpick stage or banned from tournament play based on the tournament organizer's discretion.

The Banned list is a list of stages that should be universally banned from tournament play.

Starter/Counter

• Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Smashville

• Lylat Cruise
  • Pokémon Stadium

• Final Destination
  • Castle Siege

• Delfino Plaza
  • Halberd

Counterpick
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Norfair
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Port Town Aero Dive
  • Distant Planet
  • Pictochat
  • Jungle Japes
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Green Greens
  • Brinstar

Counter/Banned
  • Yoshi's Island (Melee)
  • Pirate Ship

Banned
  • Mushroomy Kingdom 1
  • Mushroomy Kingdom 2
  • Mario Circuit
  • Rumble Falls
  • Bridge of Eldin
  • Spear Pillar
  • Wario Ware
  • New Pork City
  • Summit
  • Skyworld
  • 75m
  • Mario Bros.
  • Flat Zone 2
  • Hanenbow
  • Shadow Moses Island
  • Green Hill Zone
  • Temple
  • Onett
  • Corneria
  • Big Blue

Notes

This ruleset is the recommendation of the Brawl Back Room for how to run competitive Super Smash Brothers: Brawl tournaments. We do not condemn TOs for holding tournaments with alternative or even noncompetitive rulesets. It was through experimentation and open but critical thinking that we reached these recommendations, and we encourage TOs to continue the search for improvements and novelties.

However, there are rules which, after debate, we do not recommend for competitive tournaments:

• Except as noted in the definition of stalling, the BBR is opposed to the banning or restriction of any character's infinites.

• The Bowser suicide klaw rule present in the SBR Ruleset 2.0 has been removed.

The BBR now recommends that the game's verdict should always be honored; a victory screen should decide the winner. Any Sudden Death (excluding time-outs) should be treated as a tie; which are resolved with a 1 stock, 3 minute, same characters, same stage rematch.

• The BBR is opposed to the institution of a Ledge Grab Limit of any number (for any character) for use in determining the winner of a match by time out.

• Athough the BBR disapproves of players "coaching" other players during a tournament match, the universal and fair enforcement of a rule to prevent it appears to be improbable.

Other Notes

• Tournament Organizers should make their policy regarding the use of codes, file replacements, and the like clear. The BBR suggests that larger scale tournaments should have little to no tolerance for the use of cosmetic hacks. Those permitting use of such hacks should be advised that the uninformed use of even cosmetic changes might cause unintended gameplay changes, and even informed uses can affect the outcome of the game whenever the DVD's loading time becomes a factor.

• Also, to avoid legal repercussions, to avoid loading time changes, and to deal with the uncertainty as to the existence of changes to the game, USB/SD loaders and DVDs not manufactured by Nintendo should not be used at tournaments.

• Whenever time permits, pool play should precede double elimination bracket play. Pool results can eliminate players as necessary and should be used to seed the bracket. Also, the semi-final and championship sets should be in at least best of 5 format.

• The use of wireless controllers should be discouraged because of interference, unreliability, and time hindrance, but wireless controllers should not be banned.

• Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.

• Drugs and alcohol should be prohibited due to minor involvement and potential legal issues.

A tournament whose rules follow these guidelines may include a note in its opening post (suggested beneath the tournaments title in smaller font) that reads "Follows BBR Recommended Ruleset 3.0".

My opinion in next post or edited here.

culexus・wau

I'm upset and glad at the new CPs at the stage time.

Distant Planet. -
Luigis +
Port Town -
Japes +
Pictochat +

Yoshis Island is probably fairer then FD so I can agree with that.

FD isn't a neutral unless Castle Is... excellent, as long with PS1 and Lylat.

Anyways it seems winning game 1 to me is much much more important with stronger CPs now existing.

nothing new for luc I guess.

Opinions?

Steam

Smash Hero
Gonna start training a pocket D3 for green greens >.>

also wtf port town? the stage kills at 40% :I

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
its bad. This game is becoming so awful.
But...the game is already awful. The weird ruleset just makes it worse, lol.

Some of these stages are just...ugh...sooooooooooooo ********.

Steam

Smash Hero
I've decided to get ahead of the game and start looking into Lucario's pellet posey game on DP. Also PS2= MK autowin stage

culexus・wau

PS2 is not an MK autowin stage.

Pellets don't really give us that much but they're cool and rack up damage.

I know stauffy but Its just an excuse to make a thread I guess

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
What stage can't be abused by MK, lol.

A lot of characters can abuse the transformations, especially the air part (Diddy, Samus just to name a few). Lucario really can't other than dair stall for a loooooooooooooong time if he gets knocked away vertically. On the plus side, they have to land sometime and you can just jump and and try uair...

culexus・wau

those were never supported by the BBR to begin with js

edit: stauffy and I with dat simultaneous posting

culexus・wau

check pre-09 tournaments.

oh wait.

but yeah they got really popular really quickly because they diminish the "Gay"

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, LGL rules were started by TO's rather than the SBR, but they became popular and most tourneys have them nowadays. I guess the SBR doesn't want to have a specific rule because they can't come to consensus as to how many LGs is too many or maybe they're too afraid of treading in area that can be very subjective, despite every major tourney, EVEN MLG, adopting one. Who knows.

Regardless, most smart TOs will enforce some sort of LGL, otherwise you might as well enter the tourney as MK.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
The only stage on that list that I'm ok with is Norfair, I can see the arguments for that stage much better compared to the other four ones that I can't see, well that and it's Link's best stage imo.

Just check your area and hope your TO doesn't put these stages on the list.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
standing infinites are now legal.... and the ledge grab limit is no more.

WHAT THE ****
Not a single infinite grab / lock has ever been banned by the BBR. Ever. A Ledge Grab Limit has never been supported by the BBR. Ever.

Those rules were never in any of the rule sets. Not sure why people think they ever were :\

On the stages, I think a lot of TO's will still ban many "counter" stages. Pirate Ship was a counter for years and everyone always banned it anyway. I'm sure some TO's will still do the same with PTAD, Green Greens, etc.

Steam

Smash Hero
Because every tournament implements them basically.

also if Pipes is allowed we might as well forfeit D3's CP unless we chose a secondary he won't massacre with wall infinites or slope walk-offs.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Because every tournament implements them basically.
This is just not true at all. Maybe every tournament you've been to, or those in your area, but there are plenty of tournaments with no LGL and no banned infinites. Probably more than there are with. Especially the infinites, those are only really ever banned at MLG or select tournaments. The LGL is more popular, but still not "the norm".

If Pipes is allowed, I would go up to your TO and smack him in the head until you beat the stupid out of him.
Yeah, Pipes and Pirate ship were two stages that had a lot more support than I ever would have expected. I don't think either of them should be legal, personally, but there was surprising resistance to banning them. I was a bit shocked by that.

Even so, I don't think you have anything new to worry about as Lucario. You may have to CP a different character on certain stages, but Lucario has never been an overly strong character on the more dynamic stages to begin with.

Distant Planet's slope isn't even an issue, though. Between the rain water stopping all CG's up the slope and the ability to just stay on the "main" stage area anyway, it's not an issue.

Steam

Smash Hero
Like every tournament I've ever seen anywhere has a LGL. without it MK can just plank everyone to death.

Steam

Smash Hero
Also D3 can just stand under a leaf on Distant planet and be pretty much unapproachable.

also the rain comes rather rarely and walkoffs happen rather fast.
and you realize that D3 can slope walkoff every character he can CG except Luigi?

also Lucario is good on some of the Dynamic stages like Brinstar and Picto. it's just if you CP brinstar your opponent will just go MK. Luc isn't terrible on many stages... just Decent on a lot of them

and getting CG'd by D3 isn't new for Luc. but having it = a stock on D3's CP is.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Even so, I don't think you have anything new to worry about as Lucario. You may have to CP a different character on certain stages, but Lucario has never been an overly strong character on the more dynamic stages to begin with.
I'm sorry, I don't think I can take Lucario discussion seriously from someone who thinks aura is "win-win."

Browny

Smash Hater
WTF?! My quote has nothing to do with that.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10884447&postcount=85

This is what stauffy is referring to, an extremely simple proof that aura is most DEFINITELY NOT win-win. There is no beneficial situation you can assume Lucario will be in that we can not negate with an equally likely, equally effective downside.

The 'semantics' I acknowledge are limited entirely to the perception of what Lucarios 'base' power level is. Whether he is assumed to progressively get stronger from 0% up until 170 or whether he is weakened by aura from 0-74 and only begins to get a benefit from it beyond 75%. It doesnt change anything at all which scenario is actually true but we refer to his aura benefit differently. That is the only semantics in that discussion.

Browny

Smash Hater
Double post because I can't let that comment go, unpunished, so to speak.

MMM Metalmuscianman namesearch go.

Top Bottom