• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New AT: Doop Walking for DK

ook

Smash Lord
It might be useful for the punch.

It looks pretty fast with DK, so it might be faster than jumping towards someone if you need to get in quick to punish. And since you can turn the punch around, it wouldn't matter which way you're facing when you do it

(edit:can you even do a punch out of it? maybe it would just do a side-b instead :( not quite sure how this works since I haven't tried it lol)

SuSa

Banned via Administration
DK has a pretty decent one, slightly better then his walk I believe.

You can do -anything- out of it. :)

I got a Pivot Walked (new name for this AT) Dsmash for a kill :D and I have the vid! lol

Since Pivot Walking is new, it's obviously going to confuse a lot of players xD "why is he spinning? *eats a smash in the face*"

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
it's basically a faster walk for dk, might be useful for landing dtilts, get in quicker. then again, dk's SH empty jump in sets up almost everything, who knows though, i recommend screwing with it just in case. at least ours isn't useless like c. falcons

Tujex

Smash Ace
It doesn't fit my playing style, but I may fiddle around with it to see how well it works.

SuSa

Yeah but you can do the same thing with just the control stick. It just takes better fingers. Marth\Lucario players have been doing this for awhile now.
If anyone can do it as fast as I can Pivot Walk (Doop Walk) I'd be amazed.

Especially if they can do it without messing up, and doing any move out of it (including reversed dtilts/utilts)

Skink

Smash Apprentice
Oh God, if this becomes the norm in brawl, this will be the most rediculous, stupid looking game in the world.

Gea

Smash Master
If anyone can do it as fast as I can Pivot Walk (Doop Walk) I'd be amazed.

Especially if they can do it without messing up, and doing any move out of it (including reversed dtilts/utilts)
A Lucario player I play with all the time can, but he doesn't just go across the stage with it except when we tell him to "dance." He uses it to get grabs/jabs/sideB grabs/tilts by making people whiff their own jabs/grabs, or making them think an attack is coming because of the strange animation and then grabbing them out of their shield. If anything getting good with doing it just on the control stick is better if only because you aren't having to hit so many inputs at once.

I think you're kinda looking at its use the wrong way...at least to me. Its less about getting across stages or having a "faster walk" than changing your hurtbox while still approaching. After all, if someone sees you doing it all the way across a stage they are less inclined to be surprised about it than up close... seeing you approach and your body frame change drastically (turning around) is more likely to illicit a response (say, shielding or grabbing) which you can then use to your advantage.

Also don't underestimate some people's tech skill, lol. Its crazy what some people can do.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Wow I don't even main dk and I'm the only one who found that this makes cargo throw movement about twice as fast 0_o

EDIT: Using the new method it is. I can't go nearly as fast with the control stick. The key is not to do pivot as fast as possible, you have to allow a little tiny bit of time between each one.

SuSa

A Lucario player I play with all the time can, but he doesn't just go across the stage with it except when we tell him to "dance." He uses it to get grabs/jabs/sideB grabs/tilts by making people whiff their own jabs/grabs, or making them think an attack is coming because of the strange animation and then grabbing them out of their shield. If anything getting good with doing it just on the control stick is better if only because you aren't having to hit so many inputs at once.

I think you're kinda looking at its use the wrong way...at least to me. Its less about getting across stages or having a "faster walk" than changing your hurtbox while still approaching. After all, if someone sees you doing it all the way across a stage they are less inclined to be surprised about it than up close... seeing you approach and your body frame change drastically (turning around) is more likely to illicit a response (say, shielding or grabbing) which you can then use to your advantage.

Also don't underestimate some people's tech skill, lol. Its crazy what some people can do.
*looks at waveshining* yah... I know :psycho:

Also, your doing less inputs on the c-stick. You're seeing it as changing your hurtbox, I'm seeing it as a faster approach for close distances.

Wow I don't even main dk and I'm the only one who found that this makes cargo throw movement about twice as fast 0_o

EDIT: Using the new method it is. I can't go nearly as fast with the control stick. The key is not to do pivot as fast as possible, you have to allow a little tiny bit of time between each one.
lol.. never thought about carge movement

Gea

Smash Master
I just think that if you're looking for good applications, it will be that of forcing whiffs -> punish.

S'all I'm saying. Though with cargo you could get to the edge faster. Not a bad idea.

SuSa

It can be used as a fakeout approach.... PW towards them, PW away, PW towards them, tilt.

It's major use I feel is going to be for tech-chasing for the characters with decent PW's.... or just getting around faster when they need to walk (such as the Cargo Throw)

DK's is good, but not great :3 I really do wish this helped other characters a lot more

Xcluzive

Smash Rookie
Its a good option is short burst. Almost like a shutter step with Mario.

But why did you call it Doop, isnt it a bunch of "Craq" walks?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Yeah but you can do the same thing with just the control stick. It just takes better fingers. Marth\Lucario players have been doing this for awhile now.
No we havent....

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Its only good for the cargo. For the cargo its AMAZING.

EDIT: Why do more dk mains not use the stagespike?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Tee hee, I like it when people talk about me. :)

Roy_R actually discovered this waaaaaay back in April. His was the correct method which people are just now talking about. I just use the control stick only because it's pretty much the same thing but you travel less distance, and he was keeping it a secret from me at that time. I feel that it's easier to grab/tilts/shield/whatever out of it with the control stick method because your other hand is free to move around and you don't have to worry about Brawl's lol-some buffer system. But that's just me.

And I rarely use it during a serious match, only when messing around in friendlies. Not even Roy uses it that much during a serious match. It just looks funny. It does have some applications with some characters, but I don't think this will bring about any huge changes to the metagame. If you can find a real, reliable application for it, more power to you. It would be funny if the metagame started to evolve around this. :)

Mith_

Smash Champion
wouldn't having to hold A force you to have your hand in an awkward position on the controller while fiddling with the cstick? i guess it would be better to set attack to R.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Hmm. I've been ignoring this tactic, assuming it to be useless (like it is for most characters), but the cargo idea is interesting. I'll see if I can work it in during my games this evening.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
wouldn't having to hold A force you to have your hand in an awkward position on the controller while fiddling with the cstick? i guess it would be better to set attack to R.
Yes.
By the time you approach and backtrack and approach your opponent with PW'ing for "mindgames", you won't be able to let go of A and get your hands back into the right position and tilt/smash before your opponent can jump at you with a fair, tilt, etc.
So it's pointless.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
(L or R set to attack)----I use L

- grab opponent
- press forward on control stick
- While DK starts the cargo, hold the L button.
- Slowly but repeatedly tap the c stick up in the diagonal direction to perform the pivot walk.
- DK moves mega fast to the edge for throw gimps
- Profit

Mith_

Smash Champion

- grab opponent
- Slowly but repeatedly tap the c stick up in the diagonal direction to perform the pivot walk.
- Profit
I've got L set to jump so i don't have to slide my thumb down from X to the Cstick for aerials.
I know some people who have L set to attack for extra long snakedashing.
I guess they'd benefit from that for doop walking too.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman

- grab opponent
- Profit

Can you just Hold Z instead of switching it to L or R.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
This does not make DK go faster in his cargo hold. You can also do it really easily by holding z after grabing them and just flicking the c-stick backwards while moving forwards. It moves at the same speed as regular cargo walking, but it looks faster because of the momentum shifting so quickly.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
This does not make DK go faster in his cargo hold. You can also do it really easily by holding z after grabing them and just flicking the c-stick backwards while moving forwards. It moves at the same speed as regular cargo walking, but it looks faster because of the momentum shifting so quickly.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Top Bottom