• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness vs. Diddy

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Argh, sorry about the delay, though we did get a notable amount of posts in the previous mu thread so it looks like we should be able to keep these going regularly.

Discuss all things related to the Diddy/Ness matchup in this thread--pros, cons, stage options, recommendations for secondaries, and any other notable points that new and old players alike should be aware of.

Even if you just need help with this specific mu, this is the place to get your questions answered, so ask away.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I haven't played a Diddy before, but I do know a little about stage options.

Ban/strike stages where there's not a lot going on. Such as Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, etc. because his banana peels will not be interfered by the stage.

I'm sure a smart Diddy would ban Brinstar against us, since it's already a good stage for us and bad for him. XD But if it's not banned, go for it. :p

As for us, eh... I'm not which starter would benefit us the most/harm us the least. How good of a starter is Lylat against Diddy? =P

CPs... How would Delfino work? =P

Jamwa

Smash Champion
though we did get a notable amount of posts in the previous mu thread
Ha. more people need to post, rather than just me and that helpful mk main. the other 2 posts were questions..
i will try write one up for this in 2 days

You need banana control, duh. SH>z-pickup>throw is very good and quick.
learn to airdodge so that you pick up the banana as you land.
learn to infinite if you seriously need it.
you can DJC with the throw of a banana, a useful trick.
essentially however as soon as you get dat nana the safest thing is to throw it offstage.
If the diddy nana's your shield, a retreating nair is probably your safest option.
reflect if you're feeling lucky.

Ness' double aerial shuffle is very goo in this MU for catching bananas as theyre thrown at you.

you want your fairs to be mainly defensive, as his fair will trade with yours (not good). spacing this will make you hard to approach (without bananas ofc)
Pk fire is risky, as it can be punished with a banana quite easily or a fair if its not retreating and lag cancelled.
grabbing and keeping diddy above you is what you want in this match. getting him off stage then edge guarding him is probably the best position to be in.
getting in close to diddy and utilising your quick grabs and SH aerials is very advantageous. dair dance if you suspect barrel roll approaches.
rack up % in this, getting the first kill is vital. once that happens, camp. he can approach with bananas very well.
for this reason the best stage is probably SV (PKT on the platform)

sorry i dont know much more, just gameplay tips rather than something more detailed such as my MK post. i usually play lucas (i feel he does alot better with his dair, bair and uair) in this matchup, and you can acutally camp with Psi fire as it will not collide with a banana but rather send it up into the air and continue to hit diddy. ive only played diddy kong like 5 times haha. this is pretty much theorycraft, and will be pretty hard to follow 100% ingame. dont let diddy get to your head!

Susi

Smash Apprentice
I have noticed that if you actually can and want to use his naners against him you should keep the stage simple because we are never more experienced than Diddy with our naner play. It's easy to use the naners on SV and BF but gets harder on PS1 and Delfino imo (Plus he has wall "infinites" on those stages). I know this because I always do better on SV and BF than on my own counterpick lol. And I'm really good with items and I have lots of Diddy and naner exp. Ban FD tho. Halberd may seem good because Diddy doesnt kill early, but there is that ****ing camping **** in the middle of aerial segment that is impossible to approach.

Simple tactics with naners: Jump over Diddy and throw naner down (usually on his shield) and bair (rising bair is recommended if he has a naner) If he trips or doesnt shield, your bair will hit him! And if not, shield push gets you safe. You should try to OOS naners too. Approaching with shield while holding naner maybe? Naners OOS is ****ing broken. Rather than trying to hit aerial Diddy with naners, try to limit his landing!

This is the kind of MU I am specialized at because the goal is same as vs Snake/Olimar. Getting him off the ground! It's hard and naners may get you frustrated. The most important thing about not getting hit by naners is to not hit his shield while he is holding naners. Rising aerials work tho! If you are very careful with naners Diddy never kills you. It's very hard for him to land kills without naner setups! His dsmash actually doesnt even kill you under 150%!

When you get him offstage, remember that you nair DESTROYS his barrel. With ALL hitboxes on ANY frame! The gimp is very easy if you can take his jump out. If he can still get on the ledge try to keep him there. Don't let him get naners on the ledge and watch out for his side b (easy to punish with pivot grab with a read)

This is imo pretty outdated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTuadoOWkUs but you can see alot of what I talked about. Diddy bad at killing, me getting punished for playing stupid vs Diddy with naner in hand, punished side b's, simple naner tricks, destroying barrels etc. When you get a stock lead you shouldnt approach like I did back then tho! Btw, that Wario was picked to counter his DK <_<

Labernash

Smash Lord
Throwing nanas offstage is a nono. He'll just pull a new one. Steal one, and keep it at the edge of the stage behind you, because he'll have to work with one nana and you can punish some stuff if he gets really dedicated to getting that nana back.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Throwing nanas offstage is a nono. He'll just pull a new one. Steal one, and keep it at the edge of the stage behind you, because he'll have to work with one nana and you can punish some stuff if he gets really dedicated to getting that nana back.
a diddy will almost always be better at nana control than you, so it is safe to throw it off then pressure while he has 1 or none bananas..

when a diddy has 0 bananas is when you gotta constant pressure so he doesnt get one out..

hiding it behind you may be ok, but if he gets a read off then its back to 2 nanas isnt it

xoxokev

Smash Lord
shield any thrown bananas and short hop to catch them as they bounce off your shield, either with an aerial, air dodge, or z grab. its a common diddy trick that can be used against diddy by any other character. also, if you ever get diddy off stage (fthrow/ftilt is your friend) you can pretty much keep him off by pressuring with nair or fair. once diddy starts to charge his up b from under the stage, run off and hit diddy with a nair. save your second jump because you will need it to get back on stage.

Top Bottom