• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness' Quantum Leap: Now with more Mofo!

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Ness' Quantum Leap:
A repository of Ness info

I like my funky title. Anyways, some of this stuff is very basic information or notes that I wrote to myself to remember to do when practicing Ness. (ie. learning how to waveland onto the stage from the ledge)

Other things are some funky tricks and new tech that I feel isn't being used currently and could be useful.

Table of Contents
I. General Notes
II. General Spacing (offense and defense)
III. Punishing/Combos
IV. Recovery
V. Character MUs (edgeguarding can be found here)
VI. Teams
VII. Videos

General Notes

-DJCAutoCancelDairOoS (fastest way to get out of shield?)
-9 frames of invincibility on PKT2
-wavelanding onto the stage
-dair>uair kill/character
-bthrow kill %s
-dash attack pt1 knocks down pt2 reset pt3 hits up
-multi dtilt reset>YYG/BAT!/Grab/uair(my new low percent favorite)/dair
-Tail Whip>pkt2 (especially when opponent is falling from air)
(They will double jump to avoid tail whip) good vs. peach?
-Dash attack opponent at high percent if they're at the very edge of the stage. You'll either spike them or they will get popped up for a nair.
-remember, upsmash is disjoint and goes around his whole body. lol
-tipper bat is Ness' hardest hitting fast move
-learn to hit tipper bat off of dair
-run off platform to djc bair will hit from under the platform. good for tech chasing/pressure
-djc bairs, moving forward extremely useful-Mofo
-"footdrop"-I don't have a name for it yet, maybe like super-tomahawk or footdrop. in the air, if you press jump one frame, and then down-a the next he immediately goes into his fastfall with a downair-Mofo
-you can full jump then half way through footdrop grab-Mofo
-dair during tumble before hitting the ground for best way to land. if you're unsure if your dair will come out try to "press L AND c-down"-Mofo

Spacing

Approaching/Shield Pressure
-be careful with dash attack. highly overrated approach.
-wavedash>ftilt is a better fast ground approach
-DJC dair out of full and short hops (preferably facing backwards for full jump)
-DJC bair
-spaced djc uair is good on shields
-dtilt is also seems to be good shield pressure. mix up how long you do it.-DJC approaches. (fake dairs)

Defense
-crouch>utilt to counter approaches is reeeally good
-utilt invincible on head
-ftilt wall

Punishing/Combos
-combo with the end of nair (weak nair I guess)>stuff
-FFallers
uthrow CG <10%
uthrow>djc fair>regrab low%
uthrow>weak(end of) nair>whatever mid% (try uair for extended combos!)
uthrow>weak bair>regrab/or stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oEo_J-VMP9k#t=129s
dthrow on top platform(>continue techchase on side platforms if they DI away)
dthrow at the edge of the stage. If they DI in dash dance grab and bthrow. If they DI out start dtilting.
uthrow onto platform to dair is good (works vs sheik as well)
0% fastfaller gimp. bthrow>dtilt
uthrow at edge of stage at low percent. If they DI off the stage its a free tipper bat.

Recovery
-could cstick help to DI into pkt for easier barriers?
-keep dj for dj air dodge recovery
-recoverying in general seems to work best if you use the backwards double jump. (funky body contortions)
-this would be cool to duplicate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C-e8YYht4Mo#t=33s
-back>airdodge up (and away)>ff back to ledge but don't hold down=fastest way to regrab the ledge?
-psi magnet is cool for stalling (teams)

Aiming Pkt2 by sound

-Ok so aiming pkt2 can be quite difficult, especially to those new to the character. I wanted to simplify it in some way, so I decided I go with sound ques.
-below is Ness' pkt as I hear it. I decided that if I can repeatedly do the exact same loop with pkt every time and instead just change the time in which I BEGIN the loop, I could then just repeated change the pkt2 angle I blast off at. get it? below is the timing to go straight for pkt2.

P
E
E

[]

K
A (Hit left/right at the beginning to go straight)

[]

T
N
D
A

Mofo's Maximum Turning Velocity Recovery Method
-ok so basically if you press 90 degress perpendicular to the angle [pkt is] currently moving, it's going to move at it's maximum turning velocity

YYG
(you'll find some silly low tier footage of my Ness here, so don't be a noob and judge. it is pretty much us screwing around)
-when setting up thunder jacket, pkt2 farther away from the ledge so that the spike jacket can't hit them on stage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C-e8YYht4Mo#t=199s
-so a friend of mine started doing this really annoying thing to my thunder jacket. He'd just walk up to me and shield. Now I'm not sure if this works because I run at him into the shield. Maybe I can just stand there? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C-e8YYht4Mo#t=95s

Character MUs

:popo:
easy *** MU imo
-pk fire>Bat, pkt2, YYG
-pk fire the ice blocks is really good. existing pillar will stop all other ice blocks and I believe they have to double jump to get over the pillar.
-YYG on Nana
-The only counter to pkfire is shielding, but they can't do that forever especially because dair shieldpokes so well.
-bat ***** their shield
-easy pk flash on recovering sopo
I think Ness ***** ICs. lol

:falco:
-when recovering; pkt @ laser height. trade with laser for vertical boost.
-psi magnet when falling from the air (if u still have DJ)
-nair OoS against pressure behind ur shield
-wd OoS is very good
-upsmash OoS against retreating aerials.
-trade pkfire with laser to stop laser spam

:fox:
-take the shine to get out of shield pressure
-sdi out of uair is easy for some reason

Spacies
edgeguarding

-generally it is best to stand facing backwards when edgeguaring.
-pktail whip high firefox to cover sweet spot. curve back to possibly pkt2
-fthrow to instant upB ledge grab (creates interesting shenanigans. more testing)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDrZp...ailpage#t=155s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDrZp...ailpage#t=185s
-pkt to hit them nearer to the stage for easier edgeguard/or onto the stage for bthrow.
-trade ur nair with their upB

:peach:
-pkfire if she's floating below the stage=death?
-repeatedly dtilt when she's holding the ledge. what are her options?
-pkfire does silly things against her dsmash

:sheik:
-she can't wall you off. just fair her.
-if she spams needles in the air, YYG off of them.
-uthrow is your main combo tool.
-0% combo: uthrow>bair>stuff
-uair juggles her hard.
-bthrow her off the stage from mid%s onwards for easy edgeguard.
-uthrow onto platform to dair is good

:jigglypuff:
-bairs aren't a problem cause fair and bair win
-dair combos are good sometimes
-fair>bat seems to work well
-harass with good pkts if when u get her offstage
-if you miss turn it back around towards you for pkt2 escape or barrier.
-bthrow kills
-uair kills at like 100+% on FD guaranteed. (around 80% if she's floating around in the air)
-pkflash or tipper bat to punish rest.
-overall very slow MU.
Seems like another one of Ness' better MUs. maybe even

:falcon:
-It's all about getting the grab!
-uair is pretty fast and prevents a lot of DJC dair shenanigans
-CC grab is good.
edgeguarding;
-ftilt,dtilt and sometimes bat.
-grab ledge>stand up bthrow is good too.
-pkt(ail) to stop falcon kick
very simple MU

:marth:
very strange MU
-bat is your friend!
-bat his limps when he attacks (ie. if he fsmashes and you're right outside of it's range you can bat it.
-his dtilt is a *******, but I think you can bat it
-pk fire could be helpful against dtilt as well
-pk fire pokes the bottom of marth's shield if it isn't full size
-ftilt clinks with alot of things.
-shield/CC aerials and punish
-fthrowing him off the stage puts him in a very bad position all the time.
-hitting him below the stage with pkt seems really good! If you hit behind him he gets popped up and loses momentum. If you hit in front of him he might bounce off the stage/"death tech"
-bat ***** his recovery
-lightshield edgehog>DJ bair works well.
-batbatbatbat!

:drmario:
-Pills restore a LOT of health! If they're chucking them full screen absorb them. Otherwise, just wavedash under them.
-bat ***** his upB it seems (same w/ Mario)
-if doc is throwing pills as he's recoverying, use pkfire to hit the pill and the pillar will block him/make recovery much more difficult.

:luigi2:
-you can use pk flash to edge guard him but its kiiiinda risky cause misfire. I use it when they are very far away from the stage because his recovery is so linear.

Teams
Ness' best teammates imo
1. Fox
2. Sheik
3. Peach
4. Falcon?

Team tactics
-When team edge guarding use pkt to hit off stage opponents so your teammate can **** them
-YYG off of your teammate in 2v1 positions
-pkt is good for saving teammates not only off stage but on stage as well.
-pkfire is opponents clump up? pillar can really corner them.
-grab to dtilt for ghetto wobble. uair them when they break out to cover both regular and jump grab escapes.

Videos

Other Notes

I'm going to edit/organize this hardcore today, but I thought I'd just lay down the juice for those who want it.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
i'm loving the fake dj dairs! its like the sickest mindgame

I really think it is about time that I learn the yyg tricksies. the fact that I don't know how to do it seems to be holding me back

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Ness does not counter ICs, at all. How much do you know about the character? Lol

I don't see what was noteworthy about the PKT2 recovery in the video you linked to...

I learnt a few things though, thanks.

Little England

Smash Master
How much do I know about Ness or ICs? I guess I'll say I'm not the only one who thinks Ness could possibly counter ICs and that I had quite a run against Trail with Ness.

Noteworthy to me is anything worth remembering which is entirely subjective/the whole point of the thread.

Your welcome.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Trail's ego is much larger than his talent, thats all I will say :3 If ICs are playing the match-up correctly, Ness's lack of range gets him DESTROYED.

What I mean is, I don't see what was different about that PKT2 compared to a normal PKT2, could you explain?

:D

Little England

Smash Master
I know Trail personally. Trust me when I say, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The pkt2 barely slid on top of the very end of the platform. It's just a mixup between landing on the platform and landing on the ground. Both options can be covered but it keeps your opponent's edgeguarding honest.

Max?

Smash Champion
I'm gonna send this to Mofo, I wanna see what he thinks.

A lot of your "Combos" list starts with a throw..... so yeah, you might need to rework this cause grabs are damn near impossible to get vs. a good player.

Uffe

Smash Hero
peach ness works well because she can add damage and give him oppertunities to sweep in for an aerial/combo. also her dair saves ness well, and his recovery is one of his worst aspects as a teams character
Peach is fun to team up with. My friend uses her, and wow, some of the strangest things happened. :3

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
You can definitively bat Marth's dtilt, the bat even out ranges his fsmash. Using Ness as an IC counter sounds interesting, maybe he could be IC's Young Link. PK Flash isn't just useful on SoPo, you can land it on a lot of characters out of a BThrow, including CF and Gannon. Jigglypuff is not a good match-up at all, Ness' recovery becomes almost as bad as high tier players think it is on Jigglypuff. PKT juggling on Jigglypuff is more fun than tech chasing with Captain Falcon though. PSI Magnet is not good on Falco's laser unless you're far away and you absorb two or three of them because he has enough time to hit you with another one during the endlag. DJCAutocancelOoS works with any aerial as long as you land before the hitbox comes out, I'm not sure why everybody likes dair except that it's easier to do, I'm almost suspecting that you even land later with it because Ness' foot goes up.

Little England

Smash Master
You can definitively bat Marth's dtilt
sweet.
the bat even out ranges his fsmash
false. but if both of them fsmash at the same time Ness' will hit because marth extends his hurtbox a lot with his fsmash.
Using Ness as an IC counter sounds interesting, maybe he could be IC's Young Link.
what about YL now?
PK Flash isn't just useful on SoPo, you can land it on a lot of characters out of a BThrow, including CF and Gannon.
yes. though falcon and ganon are so easy to edge guard I dont really bother with pkflash
Jigglypuff is not a good match-up at all, Ness' recovery becomes almost as bad as high tier players think it is on Jigglypuff. PKT juggling on Jigglypuff is more fun than tech chasing with Captain Falcon though.
Even if you statement on recovery was true (and imo its not) I still don't think that would convince me its not a solid MU.
PSI Magnet is not good on Falco's laser unless you're far away and you absorb two or three of them because he has enough time to hit you with another one during the endlag.
mhm. I only really use it when falling from the air and recoverying.
DJCAutocancelOoS works with any aerial as long as you land before the hitbox comes out, I'm not sure why everybody likes dair except that it's easier to do, I'm almost suspecting that you even land later with it because Ness' foot goes up.
ya Mofo told me you can do it with all his aerials. If dair is the easiest why wouldn't you use it? It certainly doesn't seem he lands later, but I could be wrong. lol

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
false. but if both of them fsmash at the same time Ness' will hit because marth extends his hurtbox a lot with his fsmash.
That's kind of disappointing to hear.

what about YL now?
IC's is to Ness as Jiggs is to YL.

yes. though falcon and ganon are so easy to edge guard I dont really bother with pkflash
I try to look like a ****** when I can.

Even if you statement on recovery was true (and imo its not) I still don't think that would convince me its not a solid MU.

mhm. I only really use it when falling from the air and recoverying.
ya Mofo told me you can do it with all his aerials. If dair is the easiest why wouldn't you use it? It certainly doesn't seem he lands later, but I could be wrong. lol
I believe it does make to land later because it's one of those attacks (along with his bair) you can use dropping off a platform and still land on the platform you dropped on. Also, if DJC'ing late enough that your autocanceling your dair at a time where any other aerial won't auto-cancel you're doing it way too late and you might as well have a hitbox out. Fair can help you inch forward a bit, nair doesn't require any directional input, and uair is easier because you're jumping OoS.

Uffe

Smash Hero
DJCAutocancelOoS works with any aerial as long as you land before the hitbox comes out, I'm not sure why everybody likes dair except that it's easier to do, I'm almost suspecting that you even land later with it because Ness' foot goes up.
What do you mean DJC auto-cancel OoS? Is this something I've never heard of, or is it just DJC with an Out of Shield added?

Top Bottom