• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Matchup Discussion (PRELIMINARY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I don't know why, but I still have a lot of trouble with pacman and his freaky fruit and hydrant... I just can't seem to do anything to even get a hit on him... Another problem I am having is villager. He can camp you out really quickly and I don't know what to do if he uses Lloid and approaches at the same time.
Use the bat. It reflects projectiles. If he approaches with Lloid read where he is going. If he approaches with Dash Attack and Lloid and you use the bat, it's a OHKO. I've done it. However, bat is slow so use it wisely and Killager may just want to Nair/Dair you while doing lloid. In that case shield or Nair. Pacman is PK Fire his hidrant and Nair it. If you want, catch his projectiles with Nair or an airdodge, and use it against him. Use PK Thunder to hit Pacman.

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Use the bat. It reflects projectiles. If he approaches with Lloid read where he is going. If he approaches with Dash Attack and Lloid and you use the bat, it's a OHKO. I've done it. However, bat is slow so use it wisely and Killager may just want to Nair/Dair you while doing lloid. In that case shield or Nair. Pacman is PK Fire his hidrant and Nair it. If you want, catch his projectiles with Nair or an airdodge, and use it against him. Use PK Thunder to hit Pacman.

Only the Bowling Ball and Tree are OHKOs. Reflected Pocketed Lloyd is deadily though.

kirby509

Smash Cadet
Thank you so much! The main problem I'm having against him is Nair though... Is it normal that I can't seem to beat it?

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Thank you so much! The main problem I'm having against him is Nair though... Is it normal that I can't seem to beat it?
Yes, Dair and Uair also have priority like his Nair. Spacing Ness' Nair and shielding is crucial so you don't get hit with Nair or Dair and start getting juggled or killed.

kirby509

Smash Cadet
Yes, Dair and Uair also have priority like his Nair. Spacing Ness' Nair and shielding is crucial so you don't get hit with Nair or Dair and start getting juggled or killed.
Alright. Thank you!

busken

Smash Ace
I am very sorry go disrupt the rhythm and flow of this chat.
How do you DI diddy kong's down throw, I know the hitstun was reduced since the patch but what is the most effective way to evade or take the least amount of damage from his potential follow-up?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I am very sorry go disrupt the rhythm and flow of this chat.
How do you DI diddy kong's down throw, I know the hitstun was reduced since the patch but what is the most effective way to evade or take the least amount of damage from his potential follow-up?
Away from him, DJ+Airdodge
And by away, I technically mean towards him because Diddy's dthrow sends you under and behind him after getting grabbed. Basically, whatever direction prevents you from being directly over him.

SShane

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0447-5092-9424
Yo what does Ness do against Sheik feels really hard and is a match up i need help on any tips

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Shulk is a weird character that looks like his moves are very fast but actually have some lag in them. Play Shulk for a little bit and you'll understand what I mean. It's kind of like Marth in melee, but much more noticeable with Shulk.

You have to stay on top of him and combo him like crazy.

Last edited:

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
No really, that's Ness best option. Just Nair and PK Thunder all the way unless you are able to punish something.
Nair is just a godly move in my opinion. I use Nair soo much.

Brendannn

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brendannn23
Sorry if this has been asked already, but how does Ness deal with being juggled? I know being a floaty this is one of the consequences of that but I feel like I can be doing more against characters like Falcon and Mario when the matchup is typically in my favor.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this has been asked already, but how does Ness deal with being juggled? I know being a floaty this is one of the consequences of that but I feel like I can be doing more against characters like Falcon and Mario when the matchup is typically in my favor.
air dodge, nair, double jump, down b

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for double post, but when was the last time this actually was updated? the OP doesnt even have any results yet and im pretty sure this has been on sonic for a few months... i notice pretty much all of the other boards have at least partially completed matchup charts

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Sorry for double post, but when was the last time this actually was updated? the OP doesnt even have any results yet and im pretty sure this has been on sonic for a few months... i notice pretty much all of the other boards have at least partially completed matchup charts
Very, very long ago...

Burnt Ash

Smash Rookie
Could DTilt be effective against Sonic's spindash? I've been trying it a little against a Level 9 Sonic CPU but I'm not really sure how reliable it can be.

Burnt Ash

Smash Rookie
My general observations are that it can trip up Sonic while he's in his spindash and it's one of Ness's faster attacks so maybe it's not as punishable as other things like PKF? I just don't really know how much I can rely on it for defense.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Could DTilt be effective against Sonic's spindash? I've been trying it a little against a Level 9 Sonic CPU but I'm not really sure how reliable it can be.
No. No no no no no.

Too short range, really bad priority, low active frames, so you'd be surprised at how easily spin dash can sneak in between hits, and very little reward on hit. Most Sonics will just jump out of the spin dash anyways. Trust me, it looks good on paper, but it doesn't work. If it did, a lot of characters would be able to just hold their rapid jab to stop Sonic's spin dash also.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Yea I was about to say there is no MU or anything on the OP
wish I could request a character right now, but you guys most likely want to go over his more difficult MU :/

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Don't stress! We have another thread somewhere where we used to discuss MUs generally and in a less structured format, if you're looking to get a bit of discussion on it then I can revive that thread. :)

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
ATTENTION: We have a new thread (as listed above). Please go to this one instead. This is now locked!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom