• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness in the Matchup Chart

Chuee

Smash Hero
Alright, my first thing would be to pick a stage with many platforms or good breathing room. (Such as BF)

Second, abuse the air time and be careful landing. Ness is actually pretty good at splitting the ICs up, and they can't really camp too effectively. Eat a Blizzard if you need to (but watch out in case one of the ICs is NOT using Blizzard). PK Fire gets rid of Ice Block and creates a nice fire pillar in front of you.

Harass them offstage.

The biggest thing is, you're fine in the air in my opinion, but you better be watching your spacing and your landings.
just to add on, make sure your spacing is perfect if you try aircamping.
ICs Uair ***** Ness if you're directly above them.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
IC's UAir does NOT **** ness if you're directly above them. TRUST ME! I just played Cheese and he couldn't land many UAirs when I was playing against him on BF and SV. AC'd DAir will either win to the UAir or just allow you to put up your shield before you get hit. You have to land on the platform in the right spot though.... If you're DIRECTLY above them, then you're gonna get hit. You have to stay a bit askew....

Chuee

Smash Hero
IC's UAir does NOT **** ness if you're directly above them. TRUST ME! I just played Cheese and he couldn't land many UAirs when I was playing against him on BF and SV. AC'd DAir will either win to the UAir or just allow you to put up your shield before you get hit. You have to land on the platform in the right spot though.... If you're DIRECTLY above them, then you're gonna get hit. You have to stay a bit askew....
His uair is faster than Ness' dair though.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
FH DAir, dudebro. It doesn't matter if it's faster, ICs need to cover a much larger distance to hit you if you FH DAir. If the ICs do try to cover that distance, it's often just giving you enough time for your DAir hitbox to come out. SH DAir is **** vs. ICs.

Chuee.... I know what I'm talking about. It just takes a bit of thinking.

Chuee

Smash Hero
FH DAir, dudebro. It doesn't matter if it's faster, ICs need to cover a much larger distance to hit you if you FH DAir. If the ICs do try to cover that distance, it's often just giving you enough time for your DAir hitbox to come out. SH DAir is **** vs. ICs.

Chuee.... I know what I'm talking about. It just takes a bit of thinking.
Buffered straight out of the jump or Dairing before you land after using a FH.
The latter is asking to get Uaired.
The first sure, but that wasn't what I was talking about anyways.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Buffered straight out of the jump or Dairing before you land after using a FH.
The latter is asking to get Uaired.
The first sure, but that wasn't what I was talking about anyways.
The latter is difficult to get UAir'd Chuee.... >.> if I had those matches recorded, you might understand. It's much safer than you'd think.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
I owe you all an apology on those Ike and D3 MU's >.< Ironically, they were the two characters that eliminated me from the last tourney I attended (Although ryo is the best Ike I've ever seen, my hands wouldn't stop shaking after facing him in pools AND in the Winner's bracket) I think that in terms of Vs. D3 DO NOT go to Ps1 or anywhere with a huge wall (obvious) and platforms will help, vs. the CG though not much IMO T~T That spikey thing he whips out is deadly >.> but healing from (I suck at naming kirby game minions, the thing with the circle beams, gives kirby a jester hat?) they're excellent to keep on the stage and heal with. I still stand with moves refreshing though :D

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Since you guys haven't discussed anything for some days, maybe I can bring up another match-up? (I'm new, so I don't really know how these threads work :C, sorry).

But anyways, lately I've been having trouble with the Olimar match-up. I guess he could be taken care of with PK jumping and PK thunder, but all of his attacks seem to beat mine, specially the aerials. I've always thought Olimar is a very annoying character because of his great defensive game, but since I don't really know any Olimar I have very few (if any) experience with the match-up. What do you guys think?

heybrun

Smash Rookie
Since you guys haven't discussed anything for some days, maybe I can bring up another match-up? (I'm new, so I don't really know how these threads work :C, sorry).

But anyways, lately I've been having trouble with the Olimar match-up. I guess he could be taken care of with PK jumping and PK thunder, but all of his attacks seem to beat mine, specially the aerials. I've always thought Olimar is a very annoying character because of his great defensive game, but since I don't really know any Olimar I have very few (if any) experience with the match-up. What do you guys think?
One of my roommate last year played Olimar, and was really great with him. He used him really well, and at first, I had a hard time winning against him. He really owned me. But hey, I've found ways around his attacks, and at the end, Olimar was not that difficult. I would say it was pretty even.

First, never attack from above, his up-smash is awfully good.

Use neutral-air, a lot. It's a quick, free move and it kills pikmins. If he throws a pikmin, n-air, always. If he likes to spam-throw his pikmins, rush into him with n-air. You'll destroy his defenses in a matter of seconds. I swear, this move is a vaccine against pikmins. Short hop with n-air, don't go too far in the air.

PK Fire for space control. Aim the pikmins to create fire pillars. Don't be afraid to spam it, Olimar don't rush well. When you have fire pillars, it blocks its pikmins, giving you space to move around and to create more pressure.

If he's on the ground, stay on the ground. He have strong anti-air with Up-B, U-Smash and pikmin throw (Side-B? I forgot). Pressure his defenses, and rush when you can get close enough. Ness is better than Olimar at close range.

I'm a PK Thunder zealot, I love this move. But I don't recommend it against Olimar. When he's in the air, it's ok. When he's on the ground, the pikmins are always in the way. You can use it sometimes to change your approach, but it's not that good against a grounded Olimar.

If Olimar is in the air, well, destroy him. He have good moves, but Ness is a god-tier in the air. You have the advantage, so go for it.

Blue grab pikmin is fast, crazy reach and good. I hate his grab, it's so good, it's hard to believe. Be sure he don't have a blue pikmin in his line-up, because he will kill your rush instantly.

You need to be patient with this fight. Olimar is a fortress.

tl;dr
Your main moves are: N-Air, PK Fire.
Ground Olimar -> Stay on the ground.
Air Olimar -> Go kick his ***.
Pressure his defenses and contain him. When you have an opening, rush him. Kill with B-throw.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
I forgot to post here, but thanks a lot for the advice! :)

No one ever posts here anymore :(

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
First thing u need to know about pikmin: each pikmin has different effects. red blue and yellow are self explanatory, but you should know the red can hit through firepillars, yellow cancels your bair and your pkt, white adds LOADS of damage if it lacthes on. Always dtilt the pikmin off. It's best to gimp oli but don't stay on the ledge too long. Just do 2-3 aerials and get back to the ledge. catch on RIGHT before he uses his recovery, because you can still get stage spiked. The red one has priority if he uses uair vs. your dair. in general he has long reach. Also, don't let the throwing pikmin keep you away. don't dodge roll too much, spot dodge his stuff and, try to go someplace where it's hard to catch a ledge, like frigate. or a huge stage where his pikmin can only go so far. Platform stages aren't very good.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
agree with everything in v2 but yoshi. Yoshi wins.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
No he doesn't. The convo we had was pretty crazy, but it settled at 0.

:phone:

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Ness should be great against peach, IMO. Honestly, if they are using turnips on me, I win. Ness having a turnip is just BOOM!!!!! Otherwise, dealing with Peach can be difficult.

DellSmashman

Smash Cadet
V2 chart seems pretty accurate to me. Though I actually think...

Peach is -1
Pit could be Even, not sure why though. I know it could stay -1 too
Fox to -1
Other that than, I agree with everything else here.
BTW why is G&W -2?

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Trust me, GnW deserves that -2. My friend plays him and it's just obnoxious trying to get in and do some damage. That and he kills much quicker than we can. I know I'm more skilled than him, it's just GnW has those stupid attacks that make Ness :(

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
You really shouldn't be worrying about the bucket gimp unless GnW puts you in a really bad position w/ dtilt/dsmash... but then again, my friend will get the bucket gimp a ton of the time b/c the bucket gets through ness' body and steals the thunder before it hits him... Just generally, you have to be very careful.

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
I still don't get how Olimar is even...... maybe that's because I have tough time against him.

Can someone who debated this in the matchup thread tell me how it was decided 0?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Honestly, it's been 0 for a really long time, even before the charts were being discussed. I don't really know what to say. No Olimar has ever gone against the 0.

As for us, we have FOW beating Rich Brown on more than one occasion, and I think on one occasion he either 3 stocked him or almost 3 stocked him.

Top Bottom