• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness batters up! Ness Smash Switch Discussion

Screk

Lost in moonside
NNID
Screkness
Hopefully this thread isn't closed/abandoned if not hello new and possibly old friends!

Uffe

Smash Hero
Can Ness still absorb Link's bombs? I'm wondering if he'll be able to absorb Snake's grenades as well.

Screk

Lost in moonside
NNID
Screkness
With the changes to link's bombs I think it will be a bit harder since he has to blow them up himself from what I gathered.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
With the changes to link's bombs I think it will be a bit harder since he has to blow them up himself from what I gathered.
Oh right. It has a larger blast radius, though. So maybe you can get away with absorbing it, though it probably won't be as practical.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Wasn’t the magnet mainly used for mixups with stalling in the air?
Nope. Back in September 21, 2008, I posted a video on YouTube about using the PSI Magnet for stalling since people would usually try to take advantage of Ness' bad recovery. I adopted the idea from Fox mains back in Brawl who would stall their reflector in the air so they could bait their opponent. I may not be the first to use Ness' PSI Magnet as a stall, but I can't find anything earlier than my video.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So, before Smash Ultimate was revealed, I had the chance to properly play through EarthBound and I came to care for the party, so seeing Paula and Poo joining their friend for his Final Smash just makes me smile.

During the final battle of EarthBound, when the ninth prayer is done and it revealed my own name praying for the safety of Ness and his friends, I'll admit, I cried.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
It certainly was a fun experience playing it for the first time. Giygas kept killing everyone but Ness who just wouldn’t die lol. Ness was the only one who never seemed to get one shot. The game was very emotional too. It was just one grand adventure I loved playing. I think I’ll have another go at it tomorrow

Uffe

Smash Hero
So, before Smash Ultimate was revealed, I had the chance to properly play through EarthBound and I came to care for the party, so seeing Paula and Poo joining their friend for his Final Smash just makes me smile.

During the final battle of EarthBound, when the ninth prayer is done and it revealed my own name praying for the safety of Ness and his friends, I'll admit, I cried.
Oh yeah. I can't remember if I first completed it around the first announcement of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, or if it was during Brawl. A lot of people say Mother 3 is emotional, and it is. But it seems like people have forgotten that even EarthBound has that affect on the player, too. Even EarthBound Beginnings, if you get far enough. At least that's how I felt about those two games. I haven't completed Mother 3, so I guess whenever it comes to the US, if ever, I'll bother playing it through. I was pretty happy to see Paula and Poo in Ness' Final Smash as well. Jeff is still an assist trophy, but so is Starman Jr., so it looks like the Mother series is getting some representation, at least. I wish we'd get Giegue (Giygas) as a playable Smash character. Or if Ninten ends up being an Echo fighter, then I guess I'd be fine with that as well.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I don't suppose he has his old victory music back does he? Been waiting for that to return for a loooong time.......

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Some solid Ness play at the event. It's nice to see not only Ness, but some other characters such as Ganondorf being played by competent hands and not being filmed by a camera on a screen, lol.

Of course, delving too deeply into things is irrelevant at this point since the game will not be out for some months, but Ness at least looks pretty smooth when it comes to some aggressive options, which may bode well in this game since we're already seeing that the game appears to favour aggressive play in general.

Last edited:

Nintykid

Smash Apprentice
I Don't play as Ness all too much, but it's great to see some good Ness Play here

Also, I love the little Evo 37 moment at 44:50

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman

Notice something as well
new tech?
It was in previous installments, its just that the time-frame window was much tighter back then for that to happen. Sometimes I heard the air dodge sound before I teched in those games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Directional Air-Dodge should really help Ness. How is PK Thunder speed? Is it similar to Smash 4? Or is it faster? I always liked Ness but that recovery is such a turn-off.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Directional Air-Dodge should really help Ness. How is PK Thunder speed? Is it similar to Smash 4? Or is it faster? I always liked Ness but that recovery is such a turn-off.
I don't know if it has been tested but maybe Ness might be able to DJ airdodge to the edge. I wouldn't put much stock on it since Ness's recovery has been a lost cause for 2 decades now.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Also, Ness is now on the website's character banner, below Falco.

Finally, our boy getting the attention he deserves.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nice to see a Ness win matches.
Crazy Ness play that first match! If Ness is this good in Ultimate again, he'll be amongst my Secure Secondaries for sure! I've been loving his playstyle ever since Brawl, Smash 4 polished it, but it seems as Ultimate mastered it! Am impressed! It seems F Air is even better now, more range and all. New U Air also looks great, and a better fititng move than a headbut anyway.

Top Bottom