• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nerf respawn invincibility?

MattNF

Smash Lord
The invincibility after you drop from the respawn platform is pretty silly because of how long it is. I don't see any possible purpose it could serve, and it encourages ledge camping and stalling until the invincibility runs out (famously used by M2K in melee).

Could it possibly be nerfed to a much shorter length? Enough for you to drop from the respawn platform and land on the ground should suffice.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
If there's a method already present in the game to effectively deal with it (Staying towards the ledge, running away) it's pretty silly to ask to have it changed.

V-K

Smash Ace
I always thought the spawn invinciblity was a bit long but it's not super bad.

MattNF

Smash Lord
If there's a method already present in the game to effectively deal with it (Staying towards the ledge, running away) it's pretty silly to ask to have it changed.
How is it silly? Just speeds up the game pace and reduces mindless camping is all. That's one of the reasons that not many people liked Brawl.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
But it's such a short amount of time it's not right to compare it to a game's playstyle If anything, it gives a player some breathing time (depending on who's falling) Do you have actual concerns with it affecting balance at all or is it simply the fact you don't like that the game changes pace for a few moments.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I remember people complaining about this in the Smashmods days and I haven't heard it again since. I'm guessing people have gotten used to it.

MattNF

Smash Lord
But it's such a short amount of time it's not right to compare it to a game's playstyle If anything, it gives a player some breathing time (depending on who's falling)
...you have plenty of "breathing time" while standing on the respawn platform itself. And the player that got the kill got "breathing time" after getting the kill. How is this even an argument?

Do you have actual concerns with it affecting balance at all or is it simply the fact you don't like that the game changes pace for a few moments.
Are you really defending planking?

Using that logic, planking is perfectly fine because it "just changes the game pace, what's the big deal! xD"

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Planking throughout long amounts of time is much different considering it varies on a character to character, especially compared to how short platform invincibility is compared to. The breather thing was just a little point.

You still haven't really given any significant reason besides "It slows the game down" There are characters that do that, and they don't get radically changed JUST so they can be faster. Is your basis on a change SERIOUSLY just that? The amount of time is hilariously insignificant.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Planking throughout long amounts of time is much different considering it varies on a character to character, especially compared to how short platform invincibility is compared to. The breather thing was just a little point.

You still haven't really given any significant reason besides "It slows the game down" There are characters that do that, and they don't get radically changed JUST so they can be faster. Is your basis on a change SERIOUSLY just that? The amount of time is hilariously insignificant.
Yeah, just a small tweak that would speed the game up is really all there is to it. I don't see why this would be such a contentious, controversial change that people like yourself are desperately clinging to for whatever reason.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Olimar destroys your argument. If you had ANY less invincibility time during respawn, Olimar would immediately fall down to F tier.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
What should be done:

-> Implement a respawn invincibility setting that allows players to choose, and stop ********.
-> Everyone sets respawn invincibility to 1 minute because trololololo
-> Pick a Samus recolor/PSA Model...either being SA-X or Nemesis-T.
-> Play a stage with appropriate music. Preferably the Castlevania stage
-> Die, respawn, and then chase the player around like a zombie. If you touch them, they "die".

What REALLY should be done:

-> Nothing. :D

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
What should be done:

-> Implement a respawn invincibility setting that allows players to choose, and stop *****ing.
-> Everyone sets respawn invincibility to 99 minutes because trololololo
-> Pick a Samus recolor/PSA Model...either being SA-X or Nemesis-T.
-> Play a stage with appropriate music. Preferably the Castlevania stage
-> Die, respawn, and then chase the player around like a zombie. If you touch them, they "die".

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Completely removes any issue with respawn invincibility that relates to balancing. Makes counterpicking stages less of an issue as theoretically more stages are visited. And makes edge-guarding much more intense.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Completely removes any issue with respawn invincibility that relates to balancing. Makes counterpicking stages less of an issue as theoretically more stages are visited. And makes edge-guarding much more intense.
Please tell me this is a joke

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Making games 1-stock would change the entire balance of the cast, a cast that has been balanced by the PMBR to revolve around a 4-stock system. Just... no.

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Not that significant a change now that Wario's fart charges faster and is weaker. Besides match settings are very adjustable and are normally tournament specific.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Not that significant a change now that Wario's fart charges faster and is weaker. Besides match settings are very adjustable and are normally tournament specific.
A single change to a single character does not justify completely changing a tournament system that has stayed pretty much the same for a little over a decade now. every single character would need to be COMPLETELY reworked to make something this major not have an impact on the balancing of the game. This kind of change would even be considered ******** in casual play where people don`t usually care about balance or skill. This change causes fifty more problems for every problem it "fixes".

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
I don't think invincibility affected the pace in Melee and I've never seen extreme instances of it affecting the pace of this game. This is a fast paced game and a few seconds of invincibility is not going to change that fact. I don't think Mew2king camps on the edge that long because of your problem

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Wario's change was the only one that though would apply as he is the only that requires time for his particular strategy. Every other character's techniques all still work this wouldn't make them needed to be reworked. Who would be buffed/nerfed from this change? Faster characters like Fox who already might need further nerfs. Jiggz I see as a legitimate reason but she is broken I didn't think that would be as much of an issue to completely negate any conversation over this. I am simply trying to discuss what would make the game best (broken characters like Jiggz and her Rest not part of a perfect game).

ss118

Smash Master
Spawn invincibility is the only reason Olimar can even get pikmin after dying.

The invincibility is much lower than melee anyway. I think it's perfect atm.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I am simply trying to discuss what would make the game best.
In your own sick and twisted world, maybe. Your perception of what would make the game playable is simply a wasted effort if anyone were to consider it.
But of course, this is also just my opinion on the matter.

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
What is so sick and twisted about a one stock match? Anyway this whole thing is minor and very subjective so I'll stop ruining you lives with ideas that break all tradition, and make the sky look blue.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
OH GOD HERE WE GO AGAIN, SOME GUY TRYING TO TURN SMASH INTO A TRADITIONAL FIGHTER

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
A world where tourneys run on schedule and last an hour isn't a world I'm content to be a part of.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Yeah, Lucario starts every stock with a charge now, so I don't think a 1 stock system would be fair.

MattNF

Smash Lord
For those mentioning Olimar:

You could have him start with 3 pikmin upon respawning. Problem solved.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Or four, really. Why does he only start with 3, anyway? It seems kind of weird to have him start each match just 1 pikmin from maximum.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
By the time anyone gets to the ground you only have 1 full second of invincibilty.

Its nowhere near a problem

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Jiggz I see as a legitimate reason but she is broken
I am simply trying to discuss what would make the game best (broken characters like Jiggz and her Rest not part of a perfect game).
Jiggs isn't even top 5 dude, what are you saying.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Jiggz may not be completely broken but the way she is designed is very broken. And for reference that is Rest not her Bair.
She's designed exactly how she was in Melee, she wasn't broken there. Rest isn't broken because it can be avoided, stop putting yourself in bad situations where she can land it for free.
You're just throwing the word "broken" around at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom