• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

neo's "art" thread

neous

Smash Journeyman
Thread under construction.

Quick Drawings:

Slower:

Lots of white space.

Most recent:

VISUAL ARTS
-KYI: design
-Lokii: artist: http://littlemisslokii.wordpress.com/
-neon: artist: http://studioshepard.blogspot.com/

MUSIC
-GordonFremen: music and YTMNDr: http://freshprinceofpillowymounds.ytmnd.com/
-NL aka peyotecoyote: original music contribution: http://soundcloud.com/peyotecoyote
-PSYKON_BEATS: MUSIC: http://soundcloud.com/daftnuts

MISC people
-me: talentless
-Jaren Haskins: writer, open mic poet
-"RS": ukulele

anyone who wants to be anon, please let me use a random tag like something very inappropriate

neous

Smash Journeyman
Frame examples

this older post refers to painting over my images:

TLDR: U CAN PAINT OVER MY FRAMES I UPLOAD ON IMGUR/ use them however u like. we can make animatics and videos. or stuff

I missed this thread lol
Not gonna lie, your silhouetting is pretty boss.
*probably missed it do to no capitalization. in the thread title. i didnt want to impose on the AE with capital letters.

thanks yo. finally some validation :p

yeah mspaint sil o wetting is easy and fun!
if i try to draw the human form [non silhouette] , it takes a while to get it to look borderline anatomically acceptable.

but im just sil o wetting right now so i can storyboard stuff quickly. i plan on filling in later, leaving only some "shadowed blobs" in for accents during "animation"

i also want to see if i can try to get people do add their own style to individual frames. [collabs]

also, its real late here on EC. but im gonna b up for a while

EDIT:

for example: i thought it would be really cool if some guys and gals in the ae painted over frames like these [just a sample] http://nsxls.tumblr.com/post/9827146078 , each frame a different style, with added unique ideas

the end result would be quite a stylish animatic sort of thing. though wed have to make sure it wasnt too seizure inducing. or at least a a 5 second warning at the start of the animation.

Geist

Smash Master
I could get behind that idea. I need to wait until my work calms down first. Maybe in a week or two :]

neous

Smash Journeyman
Futher Project Explanation

TLDR:
IBELIEVE these things [different things people are into, and things people do] can be incorprated cleanly in such a way that we could produce at LEAST a very interesting, and possibly innovative, video, thru the power of visual art [and music of course.]

"things:

its more of a go as you feel like it thing

no deadlines. ill put up frames. people cant do what they want at their leisure.

there is no painful sacrifice required. spend your time on this thing only if its FUN for you.

[!] projects in the ae in which people feel obligated / or feel like its work / is too intensive / requires waiting on other ppl/ usually DIE a horrible death anyway.
-simple smash worm? DEAD?
-the more complex ae's fighting game project? DEAD?
This one wont die bc ill be working on it, treating it like a magnum opus kinda thing. i think something really cool can come out of a [still adapting] format like this.

[!] styles can merge in working playing together, forming something extremely [pardon my language] beautiful [not to mention i get to learn alot from kids that actually go to art school],

im hoping for it [that kind of merging], but for the sake of this project, that sort of collaboration doesnt have to take place as a bare minimum of advancement if no one participates, because ill prevent its [the project's] death thru my own participation.

it wont die unless its closed for spam. lol

EDIT:

some words on contribution

in fight scenes
those character close ups.
side view.

i could us some of those too. cuz i suck at em.

u see a framei post. and it gives YOU personally an idea of a scene in an animation / film, such as a close up panning effect on a fighter before heshes [birdo / harisu] about to do some sick moves, a close up on lips, typography escaping from those lips. stuff like that. anything goes really.
* maybe u dont wanna paint over my frame, and would rather do ur own piece.
like a painting on canvas. or a wall

"bear with me:
maybe i do a fight scene and u make a video of you doing an rl fight scene, or doing kata, martial arts tricking,

i do a chase scene
you film yourelf parkouring

i do a dance scene
you film yourself breakdancing

i draw gambit
you film yourself doing insane card tricks

i draw spiderman skateboarding or soemthing, and u upload a video of yourself skating in a spiderman costume
so not just purely "visual art" that u draw

music.
lit.
cars. u powersliding in a mario kart http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btViXvIDsi0 style . w/e

w/e u really enjoy
as long as theres some connection, which should be too hard considering six degrees of kevin bacon

we can have alot of fun dreaming [together]

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Man these are some pretty fun ideas :o I have no experience in animating things but I wanna try.

one more thing on the to-do list T.T

neous

Smash Journeyman
i started trying to animate, as well as drawing in mspaint, this month.
you guys [just about the entire ae] hav ea higher base tech skill, and tech skill ceilings.

so

anything i can do, im sure you can do.

anything i can do

geist can do better.

ediT: http://youtu.be/-LSy7w9ZQPc

neous

Smash Journeyman
old project on hiatus "project 0" :

within moments of its completion. my original movie file has been corrupted. i can no longer edit it frame by frame.

*edit: currently uploading whats left of the frames just in case.... dont want to lose everything again
*e2: added frames at top

e3: my rpoject so far's descrip: short description:
this is fanart. cross referenced flow of consciousness thing thhat contains:
STREETFIGHTER [3],
MVC2 / MVC3
and more stuff in mashup form.

poemz

* edit: id like to work in rhymes into the project

like:

* [brackets = silent]

Loving you.
Thoughts of you are never unattended to.
Rank from 1 to 10. Surpass it. The scale can't catch it. 22.

Like seeing double [x2] during a triple [x3] double [couldn't catch]
Triple threat. Whispers of said threats on my breath
your body,
your soul,
your mind on my mind.
[ = (b + s + m)^m : equals B plus S plus M to the M('th power of love)
<3 : less than 3 ]
Just us 2. My heart is yours and your heart is mine .

- of course the above doesnt function in story telling. but its just to give you an idea. almost anything goes, as long as it flows.

if you'd like to contribute writing, they dont have to function in storytelling, they just have to relate to w/e theme were on.

9 16 : posted a notice in original post

giant series in progress:

9 20: i started the "giant series"
ill explain more when i can

giant series wip:

neous

Smash Journeyman
ill be asking for halp soon.

along the lines of

contributing art to raise awareness on the advantages and detrimental fx of comfort foods and related topics from a psychological perspective, for community service/ academic purposes.

unrelated:

between the two of her eyes
i see the moon coupled with wings on either side.

an airy, bridged divide
between otherworldly
and divine.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
ill be asking for halp soon.

along the lines of

contributing art to raise awareness on the advantages and detrimental fx of comfort foods and related topics from a psychological perspective, for community service/ academic purposes.
Sounds cool, I'd be down to contribute something for that. Just let us know when/how we can help. :reverse:

I like this latest one a lot, I can never get enough of that hard edged, pixely look lol. I meant to ask though how you get that glow effect, using only MS Paint. I just noticed it's in quite a few of your works.

neous

Smash Journeyman
thanks neon,

to answer, well, i actually dont use mspaint for the effect. lol.
i may have mentioned this elsewhere, but the post line-work fx i use come from pixlr, a free online program.

sorry for the accidental deception. i play around with ps cs3 or use pixlr for lines when im at a university computer and only have a mouse, but otherwise, im still mspainting.

a few words on the help
basically, contributing to a gallery with a theme. ill try to clear it up better asap. im trying to do something fun for academic credit, i mean, the things im allowed to get away with are just crazy.

omg... wait till u see the past projects that are acceptable.
*edit: second thought, i wont torture you with them.

neous

Smash Journeyman
Halp

This is my first attempt at trying to describe how to OMG HALP

TLDR: DRAW PICS BASED ON THE PROMPT BELOW N IT WILL B PART OF A GALLERY

PROMPT:

I’m in this class.
I have a partner, and were doing a semester long project.

The community service driven project is about comfort foods, their benefits, detriments, and possible healthier replacements/alternatives to their benefits.

****ty Example: [comfort foods provide a temporary mood boost. Possible healthier replacement: mood boost via music. Illustrate this?]
A list of + and –s, and possible alternatives of CFs backed by research will be provided.

We will be using “art” to RAISE AWARENESS on CF’s benefits, detriments and backed/creative alternatives, not limited to relating to Captain Falcon.

One art outlet we will be using will be a simple GALLERY that can be later reorganized into a children’s book akin to “go the **** to sleep” with its theme relating to what was mentioned in the above project description. Though your art will be presented under an academic lens, don’t limit your creativity, you’d be surprised with what’s acceptable.

Your art would become a part of a community service project at an undergraduate university level. Not very prestigious, but do it for me.

ill provide more details later, including a list of benefits and detriments. Ill let you be creative and think of replacements for the listed benefits, or if you wanna be lame you can just illustrate the benefits and detriments.

oh and in the end, its not just gonna b a lame egallery / ebook, i think i can be more creative than that

Neon Ness

Just to be safe, are there any size limitations? I don't want to post some 3000 pixel wide thing that's too big lol. I was gonna ask about the deadline, but since it's a semester long project I assume it'd be best to have it done by the end of November/early December so you can have time to organize everything.

I'll get to work on some (worthwhile) ideas soon hopefully. :cool:

neous

Smash Journeyman
no size limits, i dont think so. at the very worst, could always resize?

as for deadlines, i have to be done by nov 21st, so having everything a few days before the 21st, so like 15 to 18ish of november would be the deadline.

thanks neon T.T,
ill have full details up later this week, gotta finish an exam first >.>

Neon Ness

I think he's basically just asking us to make an art piece about the dangers of relying on [unhealthy] comfort food, in whatever method you think would be most effective, painting, vector, graphite, video, etc. And all of the images will be merged into a storybook. I guess the guidelines are loose so we have more freedom in what we choose to submit. At least I think that's the gist, neous call me out if I'm wrong lol.

He did say there'd be a few more details coming though, so that might help in clearing up confusion. If it's a storybook it might be cool if there was some sort of connecting narrative between everyone's images.

neous

Smash Journeyman
im going to try my best to explain. i know i am being confusing, im sorry.

ill try explaining first as if you're a student in my class, then explain as if i the student am telling you as my professor about the project. in order to be absolutely be clear, im afraid i may have to be lengthy.

neon's got the gist though. if i had to highlight 1 'thing' about all of this, its that i want you to let your creativity run wild.
its about generating interest in a non art related topic, thru 'any' means.

gonna try to up a full explanation before this weekend to allow plenty of time and discussion.

the captain falcon thing was a joke referring to the CF abbreviation. CF = falcon but also comfort foods. lol

neous

Smash Journeyman
i will provide a more complete explanation soon. currently writing it up.

for now:

a comfort food, or CF, can be loosely defined as any food that when consumed or in some cases, when simply thought about, brings about feelings of comfort to the consumer. Comfort can range from feelings of wellness, happiness, mood boost, or positive emotions derived from memories associated with the CF.

* lol... gustave if you participate i will be very happy.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
...Why me =(!

I'd have to think of something first. Maybe you can throw ideas at me and I'll see what I can do. I make lovely pieces of work when I can trace the lines from an actual image, but making things myself usually turns out to be crap...

neous

Smash Journeyman
your skywhale was creative uncrap in my opinion.

when i get home tonite, ill finish grinding out the prompt, and post sometime late.

neous

Smash Journeyman
Description of a Request. Please help me.

THIS POST can be quite hard to read. if you're interested in arting for a cause / helping me, just tell me and ill try to explain it to u more clearly

[background information from the beginning]

Explanation from the Beginning

Hello.

I am a bio major and I go to Rutgers. I’m enrolled in a class called Ethics in the Sciences [a bit of a misnomer, due to the fact that neither science nor a stringent definition of ethics is properly addressed in the class]. The focus of this class is to improve a community [if even ever so slightly] through a group based project. The project can be related to any topic or of choice, and the project must address some sort of issue [relating slightly to ethics].

An example of an actual past project: someone made a rap video [his flow mad weak] to raise awareness on his topic. **** was ridiculous[ly bad] in my opinion and my professor loved it.

My partner chooses a topic relating to comfort foods, foods that we eat that make us feel better. [this phenomenon is more prevalent in the USA, we so fat]

My partner and I mention emphasis on education of the hormonal feedbacks involved in comfort foods [CFs] in order for people do be aware of the dangers and benefits of CFs, as well as learn some science.

She doesn’t like it; she talks about Campbell’s soup and umami, [google it, I loled]. Not very healthy soup by the way.

Groups have presented their ideas to the class, showcasing what they had done so far. Groups that were doing legitimate things to serve the community were met with stupid criticism by my professor, such as “well how are you gonna get it out there?”, “I don’t think you will have an audience”. Well, how were any of us going to get anything out there, the internet, like all your past students. She picked on the groups that didn’t have a flashy project is all. Her criticisms were invalid, as they were equally applicable to all groups, equally stupid in all regards. Emphasis on science and research were met with: “that’s too much information”, but strangely when no one mentions more scientific aspects, she suggests that they focus more on it, contradicting past advice she gave. She is azzz. These critiques were invalid and unhelpful. She liked a ****ty project that didn’t “get out there” because no one viewed his ****, and as for an audience, the likelihood for their audience was just as good as anyone else’s science based projects. All the past projects she liked, get no views /hits.

… im not being clear. Basically, have legit projects?: get ****ted on. Have a dumb project with fun/flashy service project: she loves it.

The above *****ing was said to give perspective on my course of action.
So, being the mindgames I am, I said fine, ill say ridiculous **** and see what she thinks.

As soon as u dangle a carrot in the form of something loosely creative
Its auto ok in my professor’s vapid turtle eyes.

So, while everyone who presented was displaying their valiant efforts to improve the lives of human beings, I was like

Yee. I’m doing … a story book. No questions on how to get it out there were received. Just as how it should have been with my peer’s projects. But whatever.

So what I am asking of You, Smashers as well as other Artists on DA, and those I have been fortunate enough to have contact with online: contribute to the project.

Art will serve as a beacon to raise awareness.
Contribute art, whatever medium, [not even limited to soley visual] relating to the theme.
These pieces will be presented in an e-gallery. Possible outlets include, but are not limited to, youtube, DA, blogs, reddit, and other social platforms.

My partner is set on doing a song. The song will be lyrics to a story related to our topic. Kind of like a fairy tale. [My professor loved the storybook idea even though its not any more valid a method of vehicle of communication than more traditional methods suggested by my peers but were shut down by non-backed criticism]. She, my partner, will sing the lyrics, play the ukelele, I’m gonna maybe scratch a bit maybe and other stuff. The story will feature illustrations, I will, through my powers, integrate gallery pieces of yours into the story for it to make sense.

Also considering having Samuel L Jackson narrate a second version.

I am trying to have an EP released with the e-book and gallery with music by affiliates.

I would like submissions around November 10th. I need to have everything done by November 21, so I’d like to have as much time as possible to work everything together.
Feel free to post wips here.

Run your ideas past me, and lets work together

BTW No johns PROF

[intro to CFs by my partner] 4 pages of research part of project
Comfort Foods:
How Food Plays a Role in Our Lives Emotionally

a study of the nature of our emotional relationships
with food and the dangers of emotional eating

Classipedia on Comfort Foods

Introduction

(WIP)
- Comfort food and why it is important to us
- Briefly about biological contributions to eating and pleasure (Food type – type of food is another factor – High-calorie sweet foods have been linked to the production of endogenous opiates and serotonin, both neuroendocrine mechanisms operating on the experience of negative affects and less directly on positive emotions. Dube et al)
- Briefly about how studies on behavior and emotion linking to eating/food consumption not very far researched
- How comfort eating can connect to negative aspects
- Why this research project is important, why this issue is important

What is Comfort Food and Why Do We Comfort Eat?

The human body has always possessed the biological need to gain energy from food, but as society has grown, we have come to depend on food as way to bond with others. Food has become a very important part of culture. As many different groups of people have a connection to each other through food, what we eat becomes psychologically linked to the people we spend time with and the events in which we consume certain foods (Lupton). Food has become a significant part of our emotional lives, especially since our food choices tend to be intimately linked with our memories (Lupton). As a source of nourishment, it has become not just important to our physical hunger, but to our emotional hunger as well.

The first known used of the term “comfort food” was used in 1977, and it is described as “food prepared in a traditional style having a usually nostalgic or sentimental appeal” (Merriam-Webster Dictionary). This idea of comfort food has grown into a larger cultural phenomenon, as many foods are being advertised as providing comfort and enriching the ideas of family and happiness (Pretlow). For example, Werther’s Original Caramels ran a commercial showing a loving family sharing this candy, and the catch phrase was “What comfort tastes like”. Milky Way ran an advertisement in which a man was rejected by a romantic interested, and afterward ran to a chocolate bar for comfort. It was centered on the phrase “Comfort in Every Bar”. McDonald’s even ran a campaign around their Chicken McNuggets, claiming, that they were made not just of chicken, but also of “comfort and joy”.

As our society has become more technologically advanced, the necessity for social interaction has diminished, as computers and telephones allow us to communicate with each other without actually having to be in each other’s presence. This generational change, though positive in many aspects, has had the detrimental effect of creating a feeling of dislocation and isolation in society (Locher, Yoels and Maurer). Locher et al theorized that this social isolation contributes to the desire of control over the consumption of food objects. In our consumption oriented society, the control over food items and the feelings that they evoke in us is a powerful tool by which we can assert a feeling of control over our own lives.

It has been found that comfort food is often eaten in times of emotional highs or emotional lows. During periods of negative feelings, comfort foods are used as a way to alleviate stress, anxiety, sadness, distress, and other emotions such as these (Dube). During periods of positive feelings, comfort foods are used as a way to enhance mood or to reward oneself (Wasnsink and Sangerman).

Locher et al made a very interesting observation regarding the solitary nature in which comfort food is prepared and eaten:
It is particularly ironic that while preparing and consuming comfort food is a solitary act, these activities evoke feelings connected to our relationships with special others. This is significant because the emotional bond occurs not only between the individual and the food object, but also between the individual and others whose memories the food object evokes. Thus, in a very important way, food acts as a mediator for social relationships that exist within the larger social order. (Locher, Yoels and Maurer)
This observation shows the important link between comfort food and memories of relationships. Though comfort foods may be consumed due to biological, neurological, or hormonal activity, not everyone chooses the same sorts of food. This shows that the emotional aspects of comfort eating prove to be just as influential to eating behaviors as physical aspects.

Types of Comfort Food and Who is Most Likely to Eat What

While there are many different types of foods that people like to eat to comfort themselves, the most popular comfort foods have been found to often fit into certain categories. In 2005, a study by Locher et al had a class of 264 undergraduate students at a large urban public university in the Southeast bring in foods that “made them feel good” or “provided them with comfort”, and then explain why they chose their certain food (Locher, Yoels and Maurer).

Locher et al found that amongst all the foods that the students brought in there were two similarities – the comfort foods that students brought in had a sense of familiarity, and they were identified as foods students ate when feeling down. These foods were separated into four categories:

1) Nostalgic – Nostalgic foods are often connected to a particular time, event, or place in one’s history. They often conjure up memories of being cared for by someone and by sharing with those who care for you (Locher, Yoels and Maurer). An example would be eating chicken soup when you are sick if your mother used to prepare chicken soup for you whenever you were sick.

2) Indulgent – Indulgent foods are often foods that are very high in sugar or fat, and consumers often know that these types of food are not healthy for them. They are often used as rewards for getting through a turbulent obstacle or challenge (Locher, Yoels and Maurer). Eating these kinds of food also often bring feelings of guilt after eating. An example would be cakes and cheesecakes, rich chocolates, or baked goods.

3) Convenience – Convenience foods are often chosen since one can experience the feeling of instant gratification. These are foods that are easy to prepare or have no preparation involved at all (Locher, Yoels and Maurer). Locher et al found that convenience foods are often modified to make them seem more homemade, for example, by toasting or microwaving them to make it seem like its fresh out of the over. Examples of these foods are chips, candies, and microwavable foods like mac and cheese or pizza.

4) Physical comfort – Physical comfort foods are those comfort through physical means (Locher, Yoels and Maurer). This could be something hot (like hot chocolate) during the cold winter months or something cold (like ice cream) during the summer. Many times the physical comfort is also in the texture of the food, as some may prefer foods that are soft, gooey, or thick. It can also refer to physical effects like responding to the caffeine in coffee or the effects of alcohol.

Below are two tables showing common and most popular comfort foods based on the studies by Locher et al as well as Wansink and Sangerman. To reiterate, Locher et al’s study involved having a class of 264 undergraduate students at a large urban public university in the Southeast bring in comfort foods. The data in Table two was collected from three different studies that Wansink and Sangerman did – one study was through a random sample of 411 people during telephone interviews, the second was from a random sample of 1005 people during another 20 minute phone survey, and the third involved in-depth interviews of snack food fanatics.

Table 1: Locher – Common
Comfort Foods Brought to Class
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Peanut butter cookies
- Macaroni and cheese
- Fried chicken
- Rice Krispie treats
- Dirt pudding
- Sweet potato casserole
- Chips
- Meatballs
- Pies (various kinds)

Table 2 : Wansink – Most Popular
Comfort Foods
Food % of People from Studies
Potato chips 24
Ice cream 14
Cookies 12
Candy 11
Pizza and Pasta 11
Beef/Steak burgers 9
Fruits/Vegetables 7
Soup 4
Other 9

These comfort foods were often found to have certain common unhealthy qualities – high in calories, sugar, fat, carbohydrates, sodium, or any combination of these. While there were certain food items that were more popular than others, we do take into account that the random sampling of people used in these studies consisted of different ages, genders, and cultures. These differences provided much more information.

The comfort food eating behaviors between men and women varied significantly in different studies. Studies by Wansink, Sangerman, and Dube et al showed that women tended to comfort eat most often in response to negative emotions, whereas men tended to comfort eat in response to positive emotions. Women, eating in response to negative feelings, tended to gravitate towards high calorie sweet foods like ice cream, cookies, and chocolate, and the foods chosen were more snack like. After eating such foods however, most women reported feeling guilt and regret afterward. Men on the other hand, gravitated towards meal-based foods, like macaroni and cheese, pizza, and pasta.

Lupton and Locher et al both theorized that this difference in food choice between genders may have to do with gender roles. Women, often put in the position of care-taker, may often view meals as a signal of labor and as a sign of providing love for someone else rather than being given love. In many cases, women are often given chocolates and sweets as gifts from their loved ones, and this may be a reason for the discretion. For men, a sign of traditional masculinity has been eating hearty meals that others (often women) have cooked. This connection of comfort with meals may also come from the idea that many men are often given food as a sign of love.

Comfort food eating behaviors also varied in the consumers’ ages. Dube et al found that younger people tended to comfort eat much more while experiencing negative emotions, while older people tended to comfort eat more while experiencing positive emotions. This may be due to the expectation that with age, you learn to better regulate your emotions. It is also expected that positive emotions is a more powerful trigger for comfort food consumption for adults rather than for younger people.

Differences in culture also provided more range in comfort food eating behaviors. Dube et al found that cultural responses to food and consumption could influence eating behaviors. For example, French people often participated in comfort eating, as the French tend to hold a “joie de vivire, carpe diem” sort of philosophy. Anglo-Saxons hold different values in high regard – the ethics of hard work and the postponement of gratification. The American culture is one that values larger portions and sizes when it comes to food, but this has also added to realization that such foods are a risk factor for health. Thus, this may be a reason why many Americans feel guilt after consuming what they consider to be comfort foods.

Works Cited
Dube, L., LeBel, J., Lu, J. "Affect asymmetry and comfort food consumption." Physiology & Behavior (2005): 559-567.
Locher, J., et al. "Comfort Foods: An Exploratory Journey Into The Social and Emotional Significance of Food." Foods & Foodways (2005): 273-297.
Lupton, D. Food, the Body, & the Self. London: Sage, 1996.
Merriam-Webster Dictionary. 15 October 2011 <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/comfort%20food>.
Pretlow, R. Those %@#! Comfort Food Commercials - Fooducate. 18 April 2011. 14 October 2011 <http://blog.fooducate.com/2011/04/18/those-comfort-food-commercials/>.
Wasnsink, B. and C. Sangerman. "The Taste of Comfort." American Demographics July 2000: 66-67.

Service Project

Our service project focuses on spreading awareness about comfort eating, the dangers of emotional eating, and what one can do to prevent falling into this trap. Our information was found in our research. Since we are both fond of art, we decided to shy away from the traditional, documentary style type of video and move towards a more eye-catching public service announcement (PSA) type of video. Together, we aim to write an original song and use art, animations, and possibly film to accompany it in our video. We then plan to upload this video to YouTube and send a link to several news outlets in hopes that they may broadcast it. In this way, our service project video will be educational for many people.

[+ and -s of CFs] + 4 more pages - contains some typos

Short Introduction and Summary of Benefits of Comfort foods [CFs]

The benefits of comfort foods include the elementary benefit of comfort, from a sociological or anthropological perspective they provide a sense of cultural identity, and from a personal or individual oriented perspective they provide mental health and mood benefits in addition to and comfort derived from nostalgia related elements.

Personal Benefits from a Group Perspective

Comfort foods provide a positive effect on us by giving us a sense of social or cultural identity. This is seen in the frequent partaking of comfort foods specific to a culture or geographic region, whether at a family barbeque or in consumption of ethnic foods and snacks. Consuming CFs give us a sense of belonging in a society reflective of our consumer based behaviors and actions.

Comfort food’s tie to personal identity on a group basis is reflected in times of national crisis where sales of comfort foods increase to ameliorate effects of a crisis on the populace’s mood. In the instances discussed, CFs can be seen to evoke positive emotion and physiologically combat stress, including stresses involved in crisis involving large groups or populations.

Personal Benefits from a More Individualistic Perspective

Comfort foods benefit us is the area of mental health and in our mood. During activities of consumption, CFs temporarily boosts mood. So when feeling depressed or sad, tired, or bored, consuming comfort foods can lift these negative emotions. For example, during studying or working, feelings of stress, tiredness, and boredom may arise, and this may lead to the consumption of comfort food to reduce these feelings. Because many people either work or study in school, the prevalence of CF consumption should not be too surprising. Though the word consumption has been used throughout this section, it should be noted that as little as thinking of comfort foods provides benefits such as reducing loneliness and/or other potential mood benefits through physiological means.

Nostalgia Related Benefits

Comfort foods can stir up nostalgic feelings, reminding us of times that we carry warm feelings for. Feelings of happiness from nostalgia incurred by CFs, in the form of romantic, idealized yearning and happiness induced by memories of the past, can be considered as emotional benefits to an individual. Comfort foods can remind of events such as special gatherings, birthdays, and times spent with loved ones, impacting us with positive mood benefits in combination with the consumption of the CF and the simple pleasure of physiological satisfaction of consuming tasty food.

Nostalgia Related Benefits: “Curing” Homesickness

Nostalgia is linked to homesickness as remembering the home you may have left can make you long for a time when you were still there. Comfort foods can remind of us home, where these favorite foods might have been prevalent and where the people who prepared the food for you may have lived. Because of their ability to remind us of home, CFs can ameliorate effects of homesickness experienced by those who are far away from home, such as by students who are living away from home as they leave to pursue higher education in colleges and universities. Nostalgia can be loosely defined as a yearning for the past that can trigger emotion ranging from elated happiness to sorrow. For the purposes of the highlighted topic at hand, we will focus on the comfort and happiness brought on by warm past memories when discussing nostalgia and comfort foods.

Nostalgia Related Benefits: Remembering Relationships

Comfort foods can remind us of close past relationships, bringing about feelings of sentimental happiness. This includes past relationships where your family or friends were present during the consumption of a comfort food, or foods or during the preparation of those foods, or relationships where you shared a particular food with a significant other thus giving it special meaning. Though these refer primarily to warm feelings brought on by human relationships, relationships with pets are not out of the question, as they are present in family gatherings and sometimes partake in the sharing of food. Having human relationships can be argued with little opposition to be an integral part of attaining happiness, and thus, the potential of comfort foods to strengthen these relationships and their memory by reminding us of them can be considered quite an important benefit.

Regarding Temporary Effects

It should be noted that though positive effects are temporary, that does not make them negligible. Physical pain relief in the form of various drugs is prevalent in hospitals and in self-medication. Though this relief is temporary, that does not mean to say that their benefits should not be considered. Analogously, reduction in immaterial pains can be regarded in a similar light, as a slight benefit, though not without its noteworthy downsides.

Introduction and Summary of Detriments of Comfort Foods

Detrimental effects or harmful qualities of comfort foods include regular consumption leading to formational excess of abdominal fat, contribution to the problem of obesity, provision of only temporary effects with the potential for unhealthy tradeoff, and the provision of potential of an unhealthy mental crutch with physical consequences.

Abdominal fat and Obesity

The carbohydrates and sugars along with the higher fat content found in both snack type and more hearty comfort foods can affect a person’s physical health and abdominal fat levels. Ranging from cookies and ice cream to pillowy mounds of mashed potatoes, these comfort foods may contribute to unhealthy weight gain.

Eating CFs while experiencing negative emotions such as boredom or depression, or for the emotional purpose of comfort, often or regularly, can be characterized as unhealthy both physically and mentally. It is unhealthy physically because of uneven caloric intake weighed against calories metabolized resulting in the previously mentioned abdominal fat due to more calories being taken in as opposed to burned or used up. This general assertion is made because during such CF consumption for mood purposes, partaking is associated with sedentary behavioral patterns or general lack of activity. Example scenarios would include the classic couch potato scenario, eating for prolonged periods in bed, and other stay at home situations where there is a lack of exercise due to negative moods and emotions such as sadness, or due to feelings such as longing, or fullness after consuming a large amount of CFs.

Obviously, CF consumption can be seen as adding to the overarching problem of obesity. This additionally increases susceptibility cancers, as being overweight is linked to increased probability of developing certain cancers.

Obesity: Related Detriments

All that potential extra weight that can come from the regularly paced consumption of CFs and sedentary behavior can detract from personal mobility along the previously mentioned health effects, as it is harder to carry extra weight. As it becomes harder to move and tiredness sets in more easily, this may act as a catalyst for further sedentary behavior and lack of exercise and maybe even more CF consumption.

Only Temporary Effects and Emotional Aspects

Though the physiological and psychological induction of positive emotions after, during, or before the process of consuming CFs can and should be considered a benefit, it should be noted that the effects are temporary and that the longevity or lack of can be considered a slight detriment. This drawback, logically, then supposes that in order to maintain effects, a generally fast rate of consumption is needed to maintain effects if seeking a semblance of a prolonged aggregate effect. Such regular consumption can be unhealthy as mentioned earlier. The tradeoff of temporary effects for unhealthy weight game in the form of fat deposits or the more extreme tradeoff of prolonged effects with even greater effects can be considered a qualitative net loss, and thus a detriment.

Detriments Correlated with Focus on Emotional Aspects

People can use the food-derived feelings they get from eating comfort foods as an emotional crutch. Such reliance should not be considered as the sturdiest foundation for personal, emotional stability, as it is analogous to a harmful addiction with imbalanced tradeoffs. The use of CFs as a crutch is closely related to eating disorders like binge eating or compulsive eating, which are rather dangerous incarnations of CF consumption.

(JM) preliminary resources: unformatted

Benefits and Detriments

Paper: COMFORT FOODS: AN EXPLORATORY JOURNEY INTO
THE SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL SIGNIFICANCE OF FOOD

Paper: Chicken Soup Really Is Good for the Soul : ''Comfort Food'' Fulfills the Need to Belong

Electronic Article: http://scienceblog.com/43841/chicken-soup-for-the-soul-comfort-food-fights-loneliness/

Electronic Article: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/people-places-and-things/201105/benefits-barbeques

Paper: ROBERT D. LEVITAN AND CAROLINE DAVI S
Emotions and Eating Behaviour:
Implications for the Current Obesity
Epidemic

Electronic Article: http://www.enotes.com/food-encyclopedia/comfort-food

Book: The Future of Nostalgia by Svetlana Boym

Half sort of Summary is located below:

Benefits of Comfort foods [+’s]
CFs obviously provide comfort.
This comfort can be derived from /come in combinations of:
- Cultural and personal identity
- Mood boost by way of physiological [hormonal and neurological] feedback systems
- Comfort from positive nostalgia [CFs associated with memories, relationships, reminding of home [curing homesickness]]

Detriments include… [–’s]
- Abdominal fat deposits up
- Contribution to the larger encompassing problem of obesity
- Cancer development probability up with overweight prevalence
- Effects are only temporary at a potentially too high cost of health
- In some cases, CFs act as an unstable crutch [such as in binge and compulsive eating]

Community Service [CS] Project
The project is meant to raise awareness, with a message relating to CFs, displaying +’s and –’s, and replacement activities for the benefits lost or cut when cutting CF consumption.

- Question: How?
Answer: By way of:
- A gallery
- Children’s book for ages 0 to infinity. [Along the stylistic lines of/ but not limited to: Dr Seuss, Go the **** to Sleep] [We are all children of out parents after all.]
- Song [where book text = lyrics]
- CF dance with emphasis on educative purposes [~ dougie or however you spell it, jerk, Soulja boy dance, except not terrible] [KPOP DANCE VIDEO]
- Film, integrating all elements of the project
- EP [music]
- Profuse use of ze Internet
- Potentially so much more.

Justification: Art used to generate interest, make more memorable through fun

So what do you want, neo?
- Contribute visual art, literature, original compositions, relating to CFs, their benefits and detriments, your own personal relation to CFs, or illustrate healthy activities that bring u comfort.

[or even videos of you doing a comfort food dance, other videos.] or anything else cool you may think of. . Though your art will be presented under an academic lens, don’t limit your creativity, you’d be surprised with what’s acceptable.

you will be credited. supply me with information you want to get out, like your name or alias, websites etc.

Why the **** should I do this?
For fun.
For me.
Not really a big deal, but: For affiliation with Rutgers University. [Your name will be indexed with our published works, good for resumes I suppose.]
For the kids.
For the community serving as an audience
For me.
For comfort.
For your love of food.
For me.
For ur mum.

Contact me on aim or skype for questions. as i may be leaving out something potentially important
Aim: ne0ark
Or if you have a preferred method of contact, let me know.

Lastly,
“How do you plan on doing so much in so little time?”
- Don’t worry, im gosu as ****.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Sounds like a cool project! I'm interested in helping, though I don't want to commit because, well, nothing I commit to ever happens. I might come up with something though. :)

neous

Smash Journeyman
skype? youll have a little less than a month.

geez, those interested, lemme talk to u's so we can get everything osrted out.

geist? neon? aly? eberyone? nyone? lokii?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I think I've got a fun idea, I'll draw up a quick sketch later, maybe.

Or maybe I'll be too lazy and occupied with myself.

Or maybe now:

Whaddaya think?

neous

Smash Journeyman
could u provide a small description?

seems like people lined up to go on a metaphorical comfort food ride? [looks like a mischievous burger or cake stack lol]

like, its fun going on this ride but at the price of
-fatness / unhealthiness?

it seems very creative gus, im happy you're considering submitting!

* this is actually really creative imo. lol

* I UPDATED the front page

Neon Ness

Ranging from cookies and ice cream to pillowy mounds of mashed potatoes
If this is referencing what I think it is, +so many reps.

[yt]ALpdZHkOtHE[/yt]

So neous you wanted to do a Skype meeting soon between everyone? Or would it be better to just post WIPs here and discuss the project as we go along. Let me know so we can sync our schedules if we need to and try to meet up sometime this week.

neous

Smash Journeyman
answer: yes thatd be nice (yes at everything u said] .
do anything u want.

though, im having a hard time organizing this ****. so far ive been talking to individuals, like 1 hr at a time
everyones on diff things, fb, aim , skype, da. so i have to chat with them all over the place. gonna try to set up a site so everyone can get on? but idk, im not savvy with that kinda stuff.

neon: could u embed this? http://youtu.be/ALpdZHkOtHE LOOOOOL
andbtw geist, that video was very good.

update:
psykon is now officially onboard: http://www.youtube.com/user/daftnuts

i am asking mrsinistar, the creator of the pillowy mounds remixes to get in the EP portion of the project.

link to the remixes for relevant inspiration:
dubstep: http://uuhhh.ytmnd.com/
original: http://starch.ytmnd.com/
omg: http://lmfpobao.ytmnd.com/
the above musics relate to the joy of CFs, as well as associated struggle.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
could u provide a small description?

seems like people lined up to go on a metaphorical comfort food ride? [looks like a mischievous burger or cake stack lol]

like, its fun going on this ride but at the price of
-fatness / unhealthiness?

it seems very creative gus, im happy you're considering submitting!

* this is actually really creative imo. lol

* I UPDATED the front page
More like, the fat people are the slaves and the burger is the slave master. The people are waiting in line for their food, unaware of what will happen.

Pretty hyprotic, as I slept 3 hours in the McDonalds and had 21 burgers with 4 people a week ago.

If you think it's a good idea, I'll start working on it I guess, some other day.

neous

Smash Journeyman
that'd be great gus. but i dont want you to work on it unless you really feel it / feel like it. i want you to have fun with it.

about the hypocrisy, thats alright,many of us partake in comfort food abuse im sure.

but this project is mean t to make us think about things like that. so good job.

im going to be updating with tracks, for inspiration and prompt purposes. though they are not the final tracks, they wil MOST likely be used in the EP* that will accompany the gallery and storybook. if you feel ur piece doesnt fit that vibe, thats okay, dont worry about it. this is just for insp, not a req

* except for the scissors beat if its not done in time, and the beats posted that arent by niko / psy or my uke partner/ HT's guitar etc

update: got a poet recruited

comfort vibes:
-me and a couple ppl on nthe team are currently obsessed with this track http://soundcloud.com/eight-and-a-half/scissors-tokimonsta-remix
we may make an cover with uke, guitar, and vocal flavors
-more hype type: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgtExszb_FI&feature=youtu.be : i have a buddy whos a pretty pro drummer, he graduated with a music degree, plays gigs. i want him to do something similar to the drummer in this video over a niko/psykon beat.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORBenRn5w7c
- http://soundcloud.com/peyotecoyote/try-it-babe . i wrote alot of rhymes to it.
- mf doom would spit about sexi ladies over this? http://soundcloud.com/peyotecoyote/untitled2 [relationships with ladies = potential source of comfort]
- classic comfort: http://soundcloud.com/peyotecoyote/unfinished-music FOCUS ON 1:40 ON
- just as it says: like leafy green hills [of comfort] http://soundcloud.com/daftnuts/leafy-green-hills

this track: i dont have permission to use: but it fits the vibe well http://soundcloud.com/stranger249/sea-turtles

sadder vibes: when dealing with the dowsnsideds of comfort foods: scissors can also be considerd sad/ inbetween
this department is lacking atm.

different vibes that occur in story changes: AS ART POURS IN, ILL WRITE UP A CRAZY NEO STORY with all the word connection bull **** lol
-i plan on incorporating comedy alot: just see the uncle phil tracks above lol. mr sinister still hasnt replied.
-HYPE: http://youtu.be/mRXAu7EEsHM
http://soundcloud.com/daftnuts/spiritgun

funky comfort food dance options:
http://soundcloud.com/daftnuts/v-i-c-e

*thanks for the edit neon

edit:

neon i can edit the op anymore. if i click edit, everythings erased. i copy pasta'd the op into a doc just in case, but i was wondering if this is happening bc its too big? i think i may upload the research paper somewhere and just link it to save space?

http://freshprinceofpillowymounds.ytmnd.com/

Neon Ness

neon i can edit the op anymore. if i click edit, everythings erased. i copy pasta'd the op into a doc just in case, but i was wondering if this is happening bc its too big? i think i may upload the research paper somewhere and just link it to save space?
That's... really weird. So you can't even add anything to the first post anymore? I noticed it's completely blank, like you overrode the 10 character limit and everything. I'll see if I can figure out what's going on with that.

In the meantime, yeah, linking would be the best option if you can't edit your posts. Maybe try one of the other two reserved posts you've got in the beginning of the thread-- it'd be nice to have as much project info immediately available as possible.

Gonna check out those tracks ASAP as well. I wanna know when MF Doom and Samuel L. Jackson are on board for this lol. Getting hyped. Now if I could just start the actual drawing phase...

neous

Smash Journeyman
thanks. yeah the paper that i put in collapse tags is like 8 pages.

and lol. im looking into finding an MF doom impersonator/ sam L. if anyone knows anyone, lemme know.
after the project is released, im gonna write a letter to sam, and doom.

* yes i cant add anything in the OP. editing comes up as blank.

im going to update asap, i still have letters to write and things to organize.

also, im on aim / skype whenver im working on the project, so find me there for ANY questions.
*im working on the project ALOT.

** thanks xivii for fixing whatever i broke.

*** I have found that chatting one on one, no matter what the method, was the best way to basically upload all of my information into the brain of the people contributing. so, even though the OP contains everything, i understand its alot of material, so instead

if you dont have the patience, just start a dialogue with me, for simplicity's sake.

**EVEN BETTER** ask here, so everyone can see. post whatever you have here.

neous

Smash Journeyman
Important Update: the author of http://freshprinceofpillowymounds.ytmnd.com/ has given me permission to use his loop "as ever i see fit"

this is officially

A legendary project.

if anyones having problems with ideas, no one is playing off of mashed taters yet.

. I updated the op with team member information. please contact me thru ur prefered method so i can get yours.

Neon Ness

You can go ahead and list me under visual arts in the team member info. I don't really have my own site per se for a sample link, so my embarrassing artblog will have to do. http://studioshepard.blogspot.com/

I plan to work on something I can actually show soon. For real this time.

Geist

Smash Master
Neous, Aly and I were discussing doing something for you. Would you be okay with coloring in something one of us draws?

Top Bottom