• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Negative Edge in Brawl?

PortCity

Smash Ace
So I'm watching some MVC2 vids and they talk about the usefulness of negative edge. Does it exist in brawl and if so how does it work? Here is a definition:

Negative Edge

For normal moves, pressing and releasing an attack button acts as just one input. However, for special and super moves, pressing and releasing acts as two separate inputs of the same attack button. This is negative edge. Example: If you press and hold HP with Ryu and no directional input, you will get one punch attack. If you then release that HP button with no directional input, nothing will happen. If, however, you input the motion for a Hadoken and release the HP button at the end of it, the release of HP acts as a button press to complete the Hadoken input. We promise, it's useful. Because of negative edge, you should always press and release an attack button when you're trying to execute a special move—since it acts as two separate inputs, you're more likely to correctly time the input for the special attack.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'm a bit lost with the definition of Negative Edges. How exactly is it suppose to be useful? It sounds like something that could be worth looking into.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If you're canceling a normal into a special or super, it saves you that extra precision required. Think of as a buffer, but with limited uses, but it pays off if used properly.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
In some fighting games it even serves to do extra moves :p (Arukune's curse bugs are sent out when you release buttons in Blazblue for example).

But no, there's no negative edges in brawl. Releasing buttons does not serve as an "input" under any circumstances in brawl.

There are a couple instances where releasing a button causes something to happen though. Obviously there's charged smashes, canceling Peaches's float, releasing Sonic's spindashes, ect, ect, but nothing as useful as negative edging.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
The closest thing there is to this is people using extremely early buffers to input moves that never come out, IE Sheik's DACUS, Diddy/Falco's BDACUS, etc.

This really isn't a need for this mechanic in a game without any stick commands.

PortCity

Smash Ace
Thank you for replying. I was hoping there was some kind of mechanic because I'm looking for an easier way to do diddy's bdacus and negative edge seems like it would be an additional way to buffer inputs.

Top Bottom