• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Needles and the "Duck" Animation

F00LY

Smash Apprentice
Hello! I will start off by saying I stole this idea from the Luigi boards, if anyone follows there. Rather, I only took notice due to reading stuff on there. This is probably known to some, but I do not recall reading it anywhere before so I figured I'd post my findings. I DO NOT and CANNOT get video to report, unless someone wants to try it on Wifi. This is by no means a new AT or anything but a simple bit of information for anyone who feels the need to know.

Now then, I was fighting Joenopride's ROB online. I then reconfirmed what I saw offline several times with my sister playing ROB.

At the start of the match I opened with a quick needle, he started with a laser. What I initially saw was, my Sheik step forward, the laser go through me, the needle hit ROB. Invincibility frames? No.

During the charge/throw animation Sheik briefly ducks / bounces. You can only really time the very beginning of it. However, during that time Sheik's hurt box is changing. The hit box of ROB's laser becomes higher than her lowered hurt box I'm guessing, and goes right overhead, letting him eat the needle storm. I could not time it everytime, which leads me to believe its only for a frame or two. I have no way of testing for certain however.

What I can say is I do not know what other projectiles this could work well with. Perhaps SHDL happy Fox and Falco's. I am not a good enough player yet to say what can be followed up with the needle storm or even if its possible to time on a normal basis. I'd assume not, though against ROB's from a distance it may be good to know if you see his head tilt back in laser animation.

Take it for what its worth. I'm going to write it off as useless except against overly campy ROBs when the opportunity arises, but figured I'd share nonetheless. Hope this is some help somehow.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Any knowledge is useful knowledge.

I'd much rather crouch or sidestep though :p

Practicality wins here.

demodemo

Smash Ace
i knew about the crouching frames from the dsmash, but didnt know they were there for the needles as well

if you want something really obvious, if i remember correctly if you can and then have ganon do his wizard kick- it goes right over you. ganon needs to be invincible though, or else the dsmash hits. it's pretty cool but impractical like chok said

F00LY

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've been thinking about it since I posted and like I said before I still believe it's just gonna be some nice information but otherwise useless.

The ONLY possible practical use I can imagine for it would be on a slant. The amount your hurtbox is lowered would be significantly more on a slant I'd guess. So if you were on a stage like YI and the opponent was slightly more above you but across the stage, then I guess a Needle Storm could work as a combo dodge+damage, but there was still probably better options like placement of your character somewhere not ******** or an actual approach.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
This wouldn't be useful against campy ROBs, they can aim their laser downwards. I can't see a use for it in any situation where I wouldn't rather shield, especially considering the very short duration. It can't hurt to know it though, thanks.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
In other games we call such things that aren't crouching attacks "TCs" (technical crouches). In this game though the point is only situationally useful because not many attacks have such a hitbox that you can avoid it entirely by crouching.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I jab Samus's strong missiles. #1. Jab out-prioritizes them. #2 It just looks freakin' BEASTLY to own a MISSILE with a simple jab. #3. It makes the Samus player die a little inside. xD
I just power shield and keep on running.

I've gotten the timing down so well now that I can nearly constantly power shield all of samus range attack while moving towards her on WIFI!

It's ****ing scary when I see myself power shield like five projectiles within my approach before sweeping in with a dacus.

No but if it can really duck under her super missile then maybe this will have a use after all. While we are at it someone should check to see if you can duck under snake punches while throwing a needle.

If you can then this would be very sexy....maybe not useful but clearly sexy.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
No but if it can really duck under her super missile then maybe this will have a use after all. While we are at it someone should check to see if you can duck under snake punches while throwing a needle.

If you can then this would be very sexy....maybe not useful but clearly sexy.
Yeah, I agree, although unless snake gets turned around by the needle, he will probably be able to jab combo punish our needle throw. But if it's a needle storm, idk we might be safe. Still risky at point blank IMO.

Question: Do we get the same 'crouched' hitbox when charging needles? Or just upon release of the needles?

Top Bottom