• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Needle Canceling

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I'll make a video later I promise BTW.

K, anyone know why we can Needle and Vanish Glide?
A: It is because both attack can be used out of a full run, and they momentum from the run is carried by the attack when used at the ledge.
Something else was that Needle's and Vanish actually make you slide (not much though). It is the fact that you can do it out of a run.

So I looked into it and found out what you can do with Needle Sliding.

#1 You can cancel a full out run by using a Needle Cancel.
Think Sonic, but Sonic has a very small fox trot so this is more useful for him.....

#2 You can do a small pivot and slide a little bit by doing a Needle Cancel.
You basically slide at the end of your small pivot.

Now I'm not sure but I am pretty suspicious that we can get a new AT out of this. However I am very very tired and I have been trying to make this past for two days now.
The reason why I'm tired is because I spent Saturday going to a Metal Concert (I was a n00b and wore sandals... I quickly learned why everyone had steel two boots......) and then Sunday I went White Water rafting. During the trip we went over three lvl 5 rapids (which makes no sense to me cuz I thouhgt a lvl 5 meant it was impossible to go over..... owell). I am currently away from my Wii, but I think it is worth telling anyways.

I believe there is a new AT if we can perform this:
Small Pivot> Reverse Needle
I don't know what will happen. The input is something like this:
(when facing right) analog right> analog left (cancel pivot)> analog right + B
My problem is I'm dashing right instead of Needle Canceling.

Well, I'm glad I finally was able to post this. Now if you excuse me I am going to go collapse from exhaustion.

ps I request discussion on how useful this is. I also want people with Wii's to test the reverse thingy. If no one says "yes" or "no" I should be by my friends house here soon and I'll pick my Wii back up ( I forgot it).

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
During the trip we went over three lvl 5 rapids (which makes no sense to me cuz I thouhgt a lvl 5 meant it was impossible to go over..... owell).
Come on, if you want to get GOOD at rafting you have to raft against REAL people. Not even the level 9 rapids are any good

saviorslegacy

Come on, if you want to get GOOD at rafting you have to raft against REAL people. Not even the level 9 rapids are any good
*no such thing
Last time I checked it was an a scale from 1-5. 1 meaning you can float through it and 5 meaning you will more than likely die if you fall in.

BTW, I went to the New River Gorge. They have the best rapids in the USA. My friend from Austria said that the rapids in EU aren't any better. They are about the same.
So basically they are world class.

Here is a video of the river: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmlFZkGPHS8
I was in the front BTW... so I got thrown around quite a bit.

Judo777

Smash Master
haha yea only noobs play against lvl 9 rapids! lol @ the cpu reference. SL i have been white water rafting many times and I believe the scale is actually from 1-6 where 6 is the level at which people can't go over because of the risks (infact it might not be legal, except with like special consent and what not). But most rivers dont have those for that reason. I have been over a good number of lvl 5's.

saviorslegacy

Oh, I see the reference now.
Yeah, good joke.
To bad I was to tired to get it. (Should have known because he said level 9.) -_-

Ah, I thought 5's were the worst. That's probably why it didn't make any sense to me.
Oh, and it was my second time. I plan on doing it more. It is really really fun. To bad I had 4 girls in my raft that would freak out and stop paddling.....

Anyways.... what is y'alls opinion on the Needle Cancel thingy? It would be cool to have that in our normal ground play.

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman
Wow, people already know and already do this Savior, its kinda common sense to me anyway, Ive been actually doing this for months and NEO has been before me.

Anyway anyone wanna play on Wifi? Im bored

saviorslegacy

Wow, people already know and already do this Savior, its kinda common sense to me anyway, Ive been actually doing this for months and NEO has been before me.

Anyway anyone wanna play on Wifi? Im bored
I figured that canceling a run is common knowledge for some. However, I wish I had a dime every time I heard "now if I could just cancel the dash" or something along those lines. So I brought it up.

As for the Small Pivot> Needle Cancel.... "I HIGHLLLLLLY doubt this is known". In fact most people disregard the small pivot for the most part, let alone develop it more by adding a sliding special to boost it's length.

Oh, I forgot to mention sliding> Needle Glide> Needle Cancel> ledge grab
Not very useful, but it proved my point.
What is cooler/FREAKIN HARD is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFn0LkvULW0
That is a Dash Needle Cancel> Needle Glide> Reverse B> Needle Cancel
Allllll in one motion.
And yes, I have been able to recreate it.

ps I hate wi-fi. Sheik sucks so bad on wi-fi it's not even funny. -_-
I prefer IRL match's. If a friend asks me to play him/a get a chance to fight a pro then I will play wi-fi. Any other time I try to avoid it since wi-fi timing and IRL timing are different and I want to be ready for Pound 4.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
^ that's nothing, run toward any ledge you can hang off of and just as you are about to run off start an up B so you go into a barely visible slide before sliding off which will cuts down the distance sheik covers with the vanish glide, from there hold away from the ledge so you don't grab it immediately and just before you explode hold toward the ledge or back onto the stage so you don't kill yourself.

Now that **** is hard, and useful for gimping even the hardest recoveries if you got the ballz to do it.

saviorslegacy

^ that's nothing, run toward any ledge you can hang off of and just as you are about to run off start an up B so you go into a barely visible slide before sliding off which will cuts down the distance sheik covers with the vanish glide, from there hold away from the ledge so you don't grab it immediately and just before you explode hold toward the ledge or back onto the stage so you don't kill yourself.

Now that **** is hard, and useful for gimping even the hardest recoveries if you got the ballz to do it.
You can do this a lot easier by running, almost come to a halt and perform Vanish.
All you need to do is lower your momentum so you can control the distance by slowing downing before you run off.
For some reason there is also momentum from pulling in your chain and finishing a roll dodge. If you perform it correctly you can do a ducking wave dash after you pull your chain in. You can also roll into the ledge and perform either Needle's or Vanish to make you fall off the ledge form their start up slide.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, but anything below 3 is just deluding yourself. Level 1's barely even move or attack you.

saviorslegacy

b reverse without jumping?
Yes

If we mix it in with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_g3bUJrNNw we might get something awesome.

What is happening in that vid is this:
walking forward (momentum to the left), sticky dash to the right (that absorbed part of the momentum), small pivot (a pivot adds some momentum to thing), left over momentum which results in a slide
*now finish it with this*
Needle Boost on the ground (aka normal form of B-sticked Needle's)

When you Needle Boost you should get more forward momentum or back momentum so that you'll either slide forward or you'll cancel out (not a good idea).
Since you can cancel the Needle's once you initiate it you could do something like a Needle Dash (basically a Wave Dash).

This is all in theory and so stinkin hard to perform that I have been unable to get it once, but the science is there saying it could work.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
b reverse without jumping?

it takes 15 frames to instant needle cancel

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The only use of B Reversal without jumping is the fact that it takes longer to shield-dash turnaround than it does to B Reversal needle cancel out of a dash. Then again, running shouldn't be that common, and running away for any significant distance even less common.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, I'm serious. It's useless as a substitute to just turning around from a walk or while standing because it's strictly slower, and besides walking, running, and standing, (and crouching, but that's about the same as walking or standing) there's no other way you can be on the ground. So its only potential use is out of a run.

saviorslegacy

No, I'm serious. It's useless as a substitute to just turning around from a walk or while standing because it's strictly slower, and besides walking, running, and standing, (and crouching, but that's about the same as walking or standing) there's no other way you can be on the ground. So its only potential use is out of a run.
Yeah, this is true I guess.

*awesome hard taunt

Top Bottom