• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Need your help!]Styles of Link v1.3 - (Updated) Oct. 22st 3:50~PM

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
You Zair a lot Deva. But, I dunno saying that any player fits into some cookie cutter style is probably generalizing too much. Also, sometimes you use aerials in a wall/defensive way. Like the defensive FAIR you do sometimes, or at least in the video versus DSF's snake. You constantly arrow cancel, esp after a bair, so you could be aerial. But then you do a lot of ZAIRs, so you could be ZAIR. Oh wait, you use projectiles as well.

Anyways, most people are going to probably be X, b/c it is really hard to just do 1 of those types.

oh, on the DDD part, you forget to mention the BAIR if it is Fast falled. Like, that would probably start from above Link, so the ZAIR, might not be that useful. I know when I play a WOP style bair character I am constantly mixing in FFs etc to throw people off or to slide in more hits...

Deva

Smash Lord
well, zair overall is great against DDD, if he's higher in the air coming down with bairs though, you generally dont zair. Instead just spam, or if he's in a position really close to you when your getting ready to zair, just air dodge before every zair. and if it seems like he might fast fall, just dont zair lol, and let the air dodge short hop follow through so you can punish him afterwards or just roll away.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
well, zair overall is great against DDD, if he's higher in the air coming down with bairs though, you generally dont zair. Instead just spam, or if he's in a position really close to you when your getting ready to zair, just air dodge before every zair. and if it seems like he might fast fall, just dont zair lol, and let the air dodge short hop follow through so you can punish him afterwards or just roll away.
possibly style x? ;)

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Now does anyone want to help with this? Or shall I just finish more of it up this weekend since I have no plans? lol

The sooner I get this done (but the sooner I get it done good enough so I don't need to revise much, if anything) the better for my stress level....

I'm severely limited when it comes to matchup experience, my only experience is vs:

Other Link's
King DeDeDe
R.O.B.
Mario
Weegee (who is by far my worst matchup, I always lose... so my tips = bad... lol)
Falco
Pit

+++++++++++________________+++

Other then those matchups, I'm pretty hopeless unless I've fought against a Link with that character and lost. (Olimar, but thats it)

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
i can help you with mostly all characters since i have a lot experience with them xD.

4Serial

Smash Lord
Deva's the most powerful combination of 1, 4, and 5 on your list lol
He doesn't spam z-airs, he uses them really smart. His projectile game is really good, and his ground game is solid, in terms of stage control. He's not super aggressive with aerials, but he does use them intelligently.

D

Deleted member

this really doesn't help at all

seriously these styles don't make any sense, zair style? wtf is that mess?

if you want to help people learn the styles you have to actually get the styles right

edit: it really doesn't even matter what style you use, when it comes to competitive play there is only one tourney viable style, spam link

if you think you can tank link and take on Rob, falco and D3 you are an idiot

do you really think i try to tank in tournies? i spam like a mother fcker, my tank skills help me out a hell of a lot when i have to approach or when they approach but i still spam like none other

Play to win or sit the *** down

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
this really doesn't help at all

seriously these styles don't make any sense, zair style? wtf is that mess?

if you want to help people learn the styles you have to actually get the styles right

edit: it really doesn't even matter what style you use, when it comes to competitive play there is only one tourney viable style, spam link

if you think you can tank link and take on Rob, falco and D3 you are an idiot

do you really think i try to tank in tournies? i spam like a mother fcker, my tank skills help me out a hell of a lot when i have to approach or when they approach but i still spam like none other

Play to win or sit the *** down
I wanted to post this, but I didn't want to hurt Havok's feelings. :ohwell: I really don't see the point to this thread either. Zair isn't a style, neither is aerial. No one in their right mind would base their entire game around aerial moves and nothing else... In addition, having this as a general "playstyles" list was ok, but things are getting out of hand. You're making an entire guide on characters match-ups and playing styles. There's already a character match-up discussion in which pro players contribute your opinions. Sorry, but I'm going to say discontinue this "guide". There are already 2 guides on the Link forums, a character match-up discussion, and other threads that make this one uneccesary. :ohwell:

Bouse

Smash Ace
I was telling him to make it more of a "Self-Evaluation for Link players", like you know:

Hey guy, havin trouble playing Link?

Chain grabs got you down?

Well, let me tell you a few things that will help you.

Your Dsmash Rawkz
Your Bombs are Seckzeh
Your Dair is Unfair!
Learn your AT's you fruitcake
Zair is your friend against big people.
Hail Satan!

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Since when do Link mainers praise the entity of all evil in most religion? Anyway, good thread I guess. Just take out some styles like "Zair." I use a lot of aerials so blah. :p

Deva

Smash Lord
Yeah, competitively, Link can't control the stage. All he can do is space, run, and throw stuff lol. Instead of controlling the stage, you just avoid being controled, and chip away at the opponents life, only rushing in when the opportunity allows, and even then, only getting off maybe a 3 hit combo.

wheres tha ledge link, he who loves to edgeguard and to be edgeguarded, using the ledge as a part of your strategy, baiting stupid off stage pursuits by your opponent and then gimp them. I use this sometimes just to make situations my opponents isnt used to, but I think that it could be evolved into a play style, then later on maybe. So question is if this is the correct place to discuss this.

btw I see myself as an überdefensive link that uses zair and bombs like crazy, when im up close I try to use true jab cancels together with some spotsodges and if it hits im try to start build pressure on my opponent and try to get them offstage early for nice low percentage kills(or send em vertically for nice damage racking juggles). so its more or less type 1, type 4 SWITCH(when going for pressure) type 2, type 5. I also rely very much on my welltrained reactions lulz.
I just want to add Im not that good, so that you dont think Im like as good as the pros.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
wheres tha ledge link, he who loves to edgeguard and to be edgeguarded, using the ledge as a part of your strategy, baiting stupid off stage pursuits by your opponent and then gimp them. I use this sometimes just to make situations my opponents isnt used to, but I think that it could be evolved into a play style, then later on maybe. So question is if this is the correct place to discuss this.
Ask arkive about this, I know that he's a ledge Link. O_o

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I love edgeguarding XD I back flip a nair for mindgames, my opponent thinking I'll do a bair. Too good. And Dair if they're really high. And the rang. I love the rang.

Top Bottom