• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Catfish Social Thread! *<3 KEV*

DAftFlip

Smash Journeyman
I've been working out all the mumbo jumbo of the Elo rankings and simplifying it for you guys. This is an efficient sytem that will fairly judge the strength of a smasher. With these rankings you won't be hearing or saying things like " I don't know who's better, Mango or M2K, hard to tell " and the like. You will have a solid ranking in numerical form expressing exactly how much better or worse you are as a player. It will make so that you don't have to go OOS or OOC to see how much better you're doing than another player. I'll post this information hopefully within the next day or two. Trust me guys this is going to revolutionize the way that you see the PR's.

No Johns

DJRome

Smash Hero
the problem with those rankings is that they assume neutral starting position. smash is predicated on matchups. and head to head can be very different from results vs others

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
lmao, get over urself dawg, u incessantly state this and yet you never mention any of my counterpoints.
Rome you didn't say **** in the argument towards me. You were actually so stupid with your words, I didn't respond to you because at no point were you even remotely close to refuting anything I said, let alone making a coherent point. None of you did. All you did was **** talk me, like people are still doing on visitors pages, threads, pm's, etc. Too bad I don't give 2 ****s about any of that ****. I am ****ing right, and you guys know it else you wouldn't stoop down to talking to me behind my back and cutting me down like *******. What do you have to be afraid of guys?

Anyway, I named a number of reasons why not to say the word. I thought that the possibility of the word offending and antagonizing a fellow smasher, one of our friends, would be easy enough for every one to understand but apparently I was sadly mistaken. Arguing against me in saying that just means that you care more about petty amusement, or some silly little right to say the word (it's banned on this site anyways), than our own BROS on this site who find it offensive. People find the word offensive in contemporary times and that's not going to change anytime soon. So instead of blaming the perception of those whom the word was created for in an obvious negative connotation, why don't you show some respect for your friend, peer, and fellow man. Or is it that hard? Or are you guys going to continue the ridiculous little charade you have arguing for the right to say ******? I feel like I'm dealing with kicking and screaming children that know that they're wrong but won't go down without a fight. YOU get over yourself rome. It's not even about your feelings about the word, IT'S THE FEELINGS OF OTHERS, which makes your view on the matter totally moot.

And no, I don't mind rekindling this ****. If all of you REALLY wanted it to go away, you would have kept your mouths shut afterwards instead of acting like gossipy little girls. I was totally willing to let it slide, but some of you clearly haven't grown up yet.

ps.. Will every one stop saying that I always try to bring violence into ****? I said that if I was black I would probably kick someone's *** too, if the words were repetitive and malicious enough. I was trying to speak for people who may have been too nice to speak their mind truthfully, if you had any sense of empathy or understanding for what's going on you would have already known that though.

And you know what, allow me to direct your attention to fizwidget's, pp's, and my ACE's visitor pages. I'm over this ****. Find something better to do.

pss. Allow me to re-iterate something: **** ANY OF YOU that disrespected me for encouraging people to not disrespect others.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
pss. Allow me to re-iterate something: **** ANY OF YOU that disrespected me for encouraging people to not disrespect others.
I'll disrespect you for disrespecting people who disrespect you for encouraging people not to disrespect others.

Wut.

(respect, yo.)

DJRome

Smash Hero
Rome you didn't say **** in the argument towards me. You were actually so stupid with your words, I didn't respond to you because at no point were you even remotely close to refuting anything I said, let alone making a coherent point. None of you did. All you did was **** talk me, like people are still doing on visitors pages, threads, pm's, etc. Too bad I don't give 2 ****s about any of that ****. I am ****ing right, and you guys know it else you wouldn't stoop down to talking to me behind my back and cutting me down like *******. What do you have to be afraid of guys?

Anyway, I named a number of reasons why not to say the word. I thought that the possibility of the word offending and antagonizing a fellow smasher, one of our friends, would be easy enough for every one to understand but apparently I was sadly mistaken. Arguing against me in saying that just means that you care more about petty amusement, or some silly little right to say the word (it's banned on this site anyways), than our own BROS on this site who find it offensive. People find the word offensive in contemporary times and that's not going to change anytime soon. So instead of blaming the perception of those whom the word was created for in an obvious negative connotation, why don't you show some respect for your friend, peer, and fellow man. Or is it that hard? Or are you guys going to continue the ridiculous little charade you have arguing for the right to say ******? I feel like I'm dealing with kicking and screaming children that know that they're wrong but won't go down without a fight. YOU get over yourself rome. It's not even about your feelings about the word, IT'S THE FEELINGS OF OTHERS, which makes your view on the matter totally moot.

And no, I don't mind rekindling this ****. If all of you REALLY wanted it to go away, you would have kept your mouths shut afterwards instead of acting like gossipy little girls. I was totally willing to let it slide, but some of you clearly haven't grown up yet.

ps.. Will every one stop saying that I always try to bring violence into ****? I said that if I was black I would probably kick someone's *** too, if the words were repetitive and malicious enough. I was trying to speak for people who may have been too nice to speak their mind truthfully, if you had any sense of empathy or understanding for what's going on you would have already known that though.

And you know what, allow me to direct your attention to fizwidget's, pp's, and my ACE's visitor pages. I'm over this ****. Find something better to do.

yup, once again, you have disregarded anything i have said by simply calling it stupid. makes for a very cogent argument. i find it hilarious that you think you're doing us a favor my not "raining down thunder" with your "irrefutable" logic. the best thing in any civilized debate is to be considerate of all points brought forth. i find it ironic that you would make such blanketing statements of disregard.

do you think that censorship is a childish issue? at the risk of offense, should we always not say anything that has a possibility of offense? as you have said, you never know who will be offended by what you say. so should i never say anything? why must the word ****** have a special quality to it?

the fact that you consider yourself the superior moral authority by viewing the matter naively is laughable especially when you accuse others of being childish when your views on the matter are more one dimensional than anyone else's and your logic thinner than paper. the idea of freedom of speech is a powerful one, and it's a fundamental right. "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." as cliche as this statement is, it is a powerful truth. the fact that you would censor others is a source of conflict that goes against the very core beliefs of this nation. it is at each man's own discretion how he censors himself but the second another man decides his voice, he is no longer a man to himself, and he is stripped of his mind and free thought.

this is not a call to moral theory that is moot in this case. it's more relevant than you care to admit. you call respect as a foundation, but the largest consideration one can take on this issue is to recognize what you find offensive and if it's mentioned in a manner than you find distasteful, then point it out. but don't make wide, sweeping judgments based on one word, and don't try to stuff the core of man's mind

vZakat

Half Genie
WOW vZakat!!!! You like zero-to-deathed EVERY SINGLE STOCK!!! Except at the very end I think [or was that because time ran out?]
Yeah, I was running out of time. If you notice, I don't raise the last stack all the way to the top like I did with the other ones. That last chain was kinda bad but I only had a few extra seconds so what I did was still pretty good. If I hadn't messed up I would have gotten over 90K.

@PP: I'll get on AIM tonight. We can talk all you want.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Mine and Fiz's visitor pages are pretty funny I will say.

Rome in all honesty I thought you were trolling in that thread rofl. Guess not.

It's really a shame that the censorship for cuss words on this site restricts everyone's freedom so much. *yawn*

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
do you think that censorship is a childish issue? at the risk of offense, should we always not say anything that has a possibility of offense? as you have said, you never know who will be offended by what you say. so should i never say anything? why must the word ****** have a special quality to it?

the idea of freedom of speech is a powerful one, and it's a fundamental right. "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." as cliche as this statement is, it is a powerful truth. the fact that you would censor others is a source of conflict that goes against the very core beliefs of this nation. it is at each man's own discretion how he censors himself but the second another man decides his voice, he is no longer a man to himself, and he is stripped of his mind and free thought.
the n word has a "special quality" to it because those who used it in the past when the word was created with the sole purpose of being offensive GAVE it its "special quality" of being a word to demean black people. there is a distinct difference between not saying anything that could be offensive, and purposefully saying a word CREATED with the intention of being offensive.

the second one man decides to use language that was made to take another mans right to BE a man, language that was made to strip others of their mind and free thought, in modern, equal America, does that make the user of such language more of a man to you, DJ?

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
yup, once again, you have disregarded anything i have said by simply calling it stupid. makes for a very cogent argument. i find it hilarious that you think you're doing us a favor my not "raining down thunder" with your "irrefutable" logic. the best thing in any civilized debate is to be considerate of all points brought forth. i find it ironic that you would make such blanketing statements of disregard.
I never said "raining down thunder" so why would you put that in quotes? I did and have considered all points. I never said that I didn't. I'm saying that none of those points are worth offending and antagonizing our friend/smasher/peer, in this situation. Are you saying that you think otherwise?

The word n*gger has is the most-used word of it's kind, and also has the strongest negative connotation out of it's kind. Therefore treating it like it's just 'any other word' is disingenuous. Also rome, you're right, it shouldn't have a special quality to it. This has nothing to do with the argument, You, nor I, can change this 'special quality' about it. You are NOT the person to decide whether it should be offensive or not. However, something that you(yourself) CAN do, is show some respect to your friends or anyone who could potentially be offended. Isn't that a better solution then just blaming others for being wrong? Also, when did any of my points have to do with the word itself; I emphasized on empathy and respect.

the fact that you consider yourself the superior moral authority by viewing the matter naively is laughable especially when you accuse others of being childish when your views on the matter are more one dimensional than anyone else's and your logic thinner than paper. the idea of freedom of speech is a powerful one, and it's a fundamental right. "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." as cliche as this statement is, it is a powerful truth. the fact that you would censor others is a source of conflict that goes against the very core beliefs of this nation. it is at each man's own discretion how he censors himself but the second another man decides his voice, he is no longer a man to himself, and he is stripped of his mind and free thought.
I don't consider myself the superior moral authority. When did my points have to do with morals? (Are you seeing why I thought you were trolling now?) Again, I'm talking about putting yourself in your friends' shoes and showing some respect. Also, bringing up the first amendment is completely disingenuous as well. You're acting like you can just say ****** wherever you want. You would get in trouble in MANY places for this, including both public and private facilities, including this organization(SWF). And look rome, if you have to bring in censorship and your own rights to offend and antagonize your friends then there's no hope for you. That's ridiculous. What's an actual, GOOD, reason for using the word... aside from asserting/demonstrating your right to? Are you that desperate to say the word ****** among our tight-knit group of NC bros, some of which that are offended by it?

this is not a call to moral theory that is moot in this case. it's more relevant than you care to admit. you call respect as a foundation, but the largest consideration one can take on this issue is to recognize what you find offensive and if it's mentioned in a manner than you find distasteful, then point it out. but don't make wide, sweeping judgments based on one word, and don't try to stuff the core of man's mind
How did you get into duke? All I see are excuses for disrespect, a lack of empathy, and rudeness. There is NO excuse for any of these though. I speak my mind too, and accidents slip, I'm not talking about that. A simple apology will do the trick for that. It's the people who think they are in the 'right' when saying that word. All you guys have been doing is providing excuses by blaming others. Be a man and fix it through yourself, where it all initiated from (the person who said it.)

DJRome

Smash Hero
@ chris
honestly, that's a lame argument. how is it equality now if you don't strip the word of it's previous quality? if i viewed chopstick as an offensive word, should i ask you to not use it? maybe if you used it to offend me. but no, i look at the context. and if i'm using ****** as a funny word, i, being a reasonable and unprejudiced man, would expect a reasonable and free-thinking person as yourself to interpret it as comedy and not offensive.

in fact, by narrowing its only meaning as interpreted by blacks or whoever could find it offensive as such, im actually stripping you of your free thought. who am i to decide what offends you? you should award merit based on your own experience and thought.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
*chuckles* looks like rome values freedom of speech over freedom of being respected as human being.

edit: my only experience and thought puts ****** as nothing to be laughed at. as i said earlier, the only place where anyone i've ever seen in my life view the n word as something potentially comical is the smash community. my "free thought" IS that the n word is an offensive term. just because something is defined doesn't mean it restricts thought. howtf could we have any semblance of language if anything can mean anything. strawberries has 10 inferno power exams window for microsoft paper dark night. now interpret that with your "free thought"

DJRome

Smash Hero
I never said "raining down thunder" so why would you put that in quotes? I did and have considered all points. I never said that I didn't. I'm saying that none of those points are worth offending and antagonizing our friend/smasher/peer, in this situation. Are you saying that you think otherwise?
read your previous post and tell me it's not condescending. the fact that you show no sign that you could even budge on the subject cement that you think you hold the only correct way of dealing with the situation
The word n*gger has is the most-used word of it's kind, and also has the strongest negative connotation out of it's kind. Therefore treating it like it's just 'any other word' is disingenuous. Also rome, you're right, it shouldn't have a special quality to it. This has nothing to do with the argument, You, nor I, can change this 'special quality' about it. You are NOT the person to decide whether it should be offensive or not. However, something that you(yourself) CAN do, is show some respect to your friends or anyone who could potentially be offended. Isn't that a better solution then just blaming others for being wrong? Also, when did any of my points have to do with the word itself; I emphasized on empathy and respect.

again, you are assigning it a special quality right now! if you were to treat it as any other word, how could it do anything BUT lose it's "special quality"? once again, why do you feel that censorship should be the solution? why does that same logic not extend to other words and phrases? Honestly, as bad as slavery was for blacks, the few hundreds of years of it hardly rank at all high among the list of historical atrocities. and why has offense been disseminated for other words and phrases like ******? by stripping them of their "special quality" and letting free thought judge its offense on its own merit.
I don't consider myself the superior moral authority. When did my points have to do with morals? (Are you seeing why I thought you were trolling now?) Again, I'm talking about putting yourself in your friends' shoes and showing some respect. Also, bringing up the first amendment is completely disingenuous as well. You're acting like you can just say ****** wherever you want. You would get in trouble in MANY places for this, including both public and private facilities, including this organization(SWF). And look rome, if you have to bring in censorship and your own rights to offend and antagonize your friends then there's no hope for you. That's ridiculous. What's an actual, GOOD, reason for using the word... aside from asserting/demonstrating your right to? Are you that desperate to say the word ****** among our tight-knit group of NC bros, some of which that are offended by it?

How did you get into duke? All I see are excuses for disrespect, a lack of empathy, and rudeness. There is NO excuse for any of these though. I speak my mind too, and accidents slip, I'm not talking about that. A simple apology will do the trick for that. It's the people who think they are in the 'right' when saying that word. All you guys have been doing is providing excuses by blaming others. Be a man and fix it through yourself, where it all initiated from (the person who said it.)
for one who would question my intelligence:
Adjective
S: (adj) moral (concerned with principles of right and wrong or conforming to standards of behavior and character based on those principles)

what we are talking about is the definition of moral discussion. your problem is that you have a binary mind. you either say yes or no. and the world doesn't work that way, buddy. there's gray area everywhere, and nothing is useful when only considering extremes. and the only reason you only see excuses is because you refuse to consider any other point of view.

in fact, you're offending me with this talk of your allegedly absolute truths. that you think we, the nonblacks, should forsake our freedom of speech to assuage the mind of blacks because they may potentially find it offensive is insulting

edit: then chris, you're missing the point. if you find it offensive, say so. those who respect that you find it offensive will abstain from saying it to you. but in the other context where THEIR experiences leads them to use the word as they see fit, that is their prerogative and they have the right, and deservedly so, to use it at their discretion. if it offends no one (and if it does offend you speak up) and i find it useful for whatever conversation, i'm not going to restrict my language for the sake of some people who are not present may find it offensive

and to the point that you have only known it to be comical in the smash community, that's great. my experience leads to believe otherwise. i don't see why any has preference

edit: cam, ninja'ed lol

null55

Smash Master
in fact, you're offending me with this talk of your allegedly absolute truths. that you think we, the nonblacks, should forsake our freedom of speech to assuage the mind of blacks because they may potentially find it offensive is insulting

edit: then chris, you're missing the point. if you find it offensive, say so. those who respect that you find it offensive will abstain from saying it to you. but in the other context where THEIR experiences leads them to use the word as they see fit, that is their prerogative and they have the right, and deservedly so, to use it at their discretion. if it offends no one (and if it does offend you speak up) and i find it useful for whatever conversation, i'm not going to restrict my language for the sake of some people who are not present may find it offensive

and to the point that you have only known it to be comical in the smash community, that's great. my experience leads to believe otherwise. i don't see why any has preference

yes, omg, thank you.

and then dorsey's argument to that is: "fine you're going to die though"

and Yay's is: "there's always a warning shot, no one's just gonna kill you"

and then dorsey's next brilliant tactic is: "YOU DIDN'T RESPOND TO ANYTHIEWHTING EYE SAIAAAID LOLZZORRZZ STUPID *** *****"

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
One of the major points here that people choose to ignore is that this is a public forum and that the use of this word and its various forms has been ongoing for some time now. It's pretty easy (and petty) to say that because of the first amendment you should be able to say n*gger whenever and wherever you want. It's like some of you want to turn this into a fight for freedom (rofl). I don't really want to argue with you Rome, you've openly stated before that you don't like black people anyway, and it shows. If you can't realize that a lot of people are offended by the word there is no hope. Why should someone have to speak up to get the respect they deserve? They should just GET the respect they deserve, period.

DJRome

Smash Hero
lol, are you really going to take that statement out of context too?

if you're talking about respect, then disrespect has to come first. and that only happens when people find it in the use of the word. which is not all people. and not in all cases. so once again, i invite you to provide a good reason why generalizations like this have merit.

once again, choosing to only view my points as an argument as a petty crusade for freedom of speech is very one dimensional. and i never once stated that i didn't think a lot of people were offended. the potential for offense is great, but i doubt the use in the contexts discussed here are likely to rile up a majority of people. and since that is the case, i don't see why a restriction should exist.

edit: idk if you have like this pride thing about defending each other or whatnot, but my basis is purely for my beliefs. and i'd rather my ideas stand on their intellectual merit than some idea that it has to defeat something.

edit x: i'd also like to point out that being at duke doesn't necessarily put you on any higher moral ground. :\ but haters they gon hate

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Oh, hurray, we're restarting it! I'm genuinely pleased, I believed it was cut too short before.

@Dorsey, you yourself are being mad disrespectful, dawg. I haven't read *anyone* directly attacking you, and you went and attacked DJ's intelligence directly.

@DJRome, yes. Yes. Yes. Omg, yes. Keep going bro. I won't bother repeating anything because you have very completely covered mostly everything that I would have intended to say.

@Chris: I guess you really haven't seen any Black comedians then. Watch Kat Williams, for example. And don't give me that "they are saying *****" stuff, they are two spellings of the same word. The different spellings don't give them different meanings, the INTENTIONS do.

All of you who are disagreeing with him (and I apologize in advanced for lumping you all together, I'm just too lazy to go back and look at the names), you all keep throwing around the word respect.

It has already been stated before, but I will repeat it, because it is important. What is being proposed as the most logical course of action is that you can use the world loosely in an obviously comical context UNTIL someone in that group offers that they are offended by it, in which you refrain from saying it in their presence from that point on. Equality and fairness are case-by-case issues, NOT cultural or race.

The freedom of speech is not petty. It is almost inextricable with the "right" that people in the Western culture have to be respected as human beings. The ability to speak our minds and thoughts without change or censorship is essentially a representation of ourselves. We are no more than what we think. If you do not value the ability for someone to speak their minds fully, then you do not value that person fully. Keep in mind that I am not saying that anyone is doing this, I would just like to bring that scenario to light.

EDIT:

I don't really want to argue with you Rome, you've openly stated before that you don't like black people anyway, and it shows. If you can't realize that a lot of people are offended by the word there is no hope. Why should someone have to speak up to get the respect they deserve? They should just GET the respect they deserve, period.
No hope... hmm. The word "f*ck" offends an immense amount of people, usually people in the older generations. And yet is it blind racially, culturally, and has SO many connotations and applications that people generally accept that it's innocuous. By that strain of logic, because it offends such a large amount of people, and those that are offended could be anywhere, no one should ever say the word. Ever. The same could be applied for all of the generic curses. This is obviously not a good idea though.

Someone should speak up to get the respect they deserve because respect isn't innate, it is earned. It takes guts to say to someone politely without fists flying that you are offended by a word, please refrain from saying it around me. And it takes an equal amount of respect back for that person to acknowledge and follow through with that. That's MUTUAL respect. It goes both ways.

I maintain that I am not being respectful to anyone by never saying the word "n*gger" when it would avail to me as an appropriate word for the situation. I am just further acknowledging the negative connotations of the word. That is what censorship does. It constantly REMINDS people of all of the negative connotations, and it instills a fear of consequence if spoken. That's not respect. That's fear-mongering.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
again, you are assigning it a special quality right now! if you were to treat it as any other word, how could it do anything BUT lose it's "special quality"? once again, why do you feel that censorship should be the solution? why does that same logic not extend to other words and phrases? Honestly, as bad as slavery was for blacks, the few hundreds of years of it hardly rank at all high among the list of historical atrocities. and why has offense been disseminated for other words and phrases like ******? by stripping them of their "special quality" and letting free thought judge its offense on its own merit.
Don't you dare even go there with that bull****. if you even stop and begin to think about ancient history, it hasn't been "the few hundreds of years". maybe a few hundreds of years in america, but please, even THINKING about saying "slavery wasn't that bad" has to be the most ignorant standpoint you could take on such an issue. maybe other words and phrases like the n word have lost their offense because they either weren't based off a politically justified social and economical norm called slavery, or possibly the word just stop being used. please enlighten me on other racial slurs that have simply lost their power thanks to "free thought".

so...you really do value the freedom of speech over the value of respect of the people around you. it must be hard to keep friends...

for one, i don't think i'd be in this discussion if i didn't find it offensive. if you haven't recognized by now that i don't appreciate it, then you've missed a LOT of my points. as you can see PLUR and others don't really care, so...they're not debating. unlike you i don't like to just argue because i can. this affects me and my personal smash experience. And i can't really imagine any decent personal experience that would legitify the use of the n word. i'm not saying never say it, i would say respect other people.

i'm not saying i think its funny in the smash community. i'm saying that people in the smash community are the only people who even try to use the n word in jokes. the rest of the world i've been brought up in would say that theres nothing funny about it. however, you seem to think that freedom of speech takes precedence over freedom to not be insulted. you're just the first person i've ever met that held such beliefs. (and it appears you're not alone)

edit @ ledger: if you don't realize the fact that ***** and ****** do have two completely different intentions and are two completely separate words in modern day culture, then you certainly haven't hung around enough black people. no black person would EVER mean ***** and say ******. because there is an implied intention with both words. by and large they are two different words. thats just what you don't understand. i've seen katt williams, and as you will recognize, he has and never will refer to other blacks as ******s. you know why? CUZ THE **** WORDS AREN'T INTERCHANGABLE

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Rome... We're talking about NC smash bros. We're not talking about banning the word in America. I keep correcting you, so I'll just outwardly say to stop doing it this time. It's not even what the argument is about. My point is really simple man, and I can see how well it's penetrating your mind with all the assumptions, accusations, and insults your throwing out at me :)

if you find it offensive, say so. those who respect that you find it offensive will abstain from saying it to you.
CORRECTION ROME: Those who respect Chris will refrain from saying it to begin with because they don't even want to put him in that position. Are you incapable of showing this mutual respect? Or are you above it?

sigh. . . i hate black people
i'm not even going to debate the context this was written in. What do you expect people to think though when you're the guy who keeps giving excuses for saying ******? LOL.

Every one knows that you care more about your god-given unalienable right to say ****** than upsetting a friend. So whenever you're done re-iterating that feel free to stop posting.

edit:

ledger, did I not give a full explanation for my disrespect? Yep, I did.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
actually dorsey, the one where he said i hate black people was pretty legit. rome, don't own him for that.

i made a play on romes little ****. he doesn't hate black people, he hates the sexual superiority of black people.

DJRome

Smash Hero
Don't you dare even go there with that bull****. if you even stop and begin to think about ancient history, it hasn't been "the few hundreds of years". maybe a few hundreds of years in america, but please, even THINKING about saying "slavery wasn't that bad" has to be the most ignorant standpoint you could take on such an issue. maybe other words and phrases like the n word have lost their offense because they either weren't based off a politically justified social and economical norm called slavery, or possibly the word just stop being used. please enlighten me on other racial slurs that have simply lost their power thanks to "free thought".
well, to this point, im talking about the implied meaning of ******. clearly it doesn't refer to slavery outside of america. how about the word gyp? just because romanis are not a major subset of the us population, does that make their voice any less relevant? don't tell you believe that ****** should continue it's existence as purely offense as you would state?
for one, i don't think i'd be in this discussion if i didn't find it offensive. if you haven't recognized by now that i don't appreciate it, then you've missed a LOT of my points. as you can see PLUR and others don't really care, so...they're not debating. unlike you i don't like to just argue because i can. this affects me and my personal smash experience. And i can't really imagine any decent personal experience that would legitify the use of the n word. i'm not saying never say it, i would say respect other people.

i'm not saying i think its funny in the smash community. i'm saying that people in the smash community are the only people who even try to use the n word in jokes. the rest of the world i've been brought up in would say that theres nothing funny about it. however, you seem to think that freedom of speech takes precedence over freedom to not be insulted. you're just the first person i've ever met that held such beliefs. (and it appears you're not alone)
i can have freedom of speech just as i can have respect for my friends. it's my free thought that gives me the tact to decide when i should use what. i understand what you're saying. and i don't think we completely disagree that much. i rarely say the word, and i would probably never say it to you knowing your disdain for it.

but kindly refer to chris rock/other black comedians who reference ******s as comedic material.

and you're taking what i'm saying out of context. i'm not saying freedom of speech takes precedence over freedom to not be insulted. i'm saying freedom of speech takes precedence over censorship. how am i to know that anyone finds it offensive in my audience? clearly they must say. and if not, i'll use it as i see fit. i don't see a need to tiptoe around things when there may not even be an issue.

when i use it, i'm likely never to be using it as a personal insult. it's like if i were to listen to rap music. unless it disturbs someone, i'll play it. but i'm not going to not play it because someone might mind it.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
so once again, i invite you to provide a good reason why generalizations like this have merit.
I said that you cannot go around saying the word wherever and whenever you want, and you counter by saying that it doesn't offend ALL people in ALL cases (so?). Then you say I am generalizing and what I say has no merit. Lol.

edit: idk if you have like this pride thing about defending each other or whatnot, but my basis is purely for my beliefs. and i'd rather my ideas stand on their intellectual merit than some idea that it has to defeat something.
This is purely for my beliefs too. You're fighting for your right to say n*gger (WOW, WHAT A CAUSE, YOU GO GIRL, FIGHT FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN!) as if losing this argument means you'll actually never be able to say it again. It's obviously an important word to a lot of you. I am not trying to change that. This entire thing is over people still wanting to be able to say it freely on a PUBLIC FORUM when THEY KNOW THAT IT OFFENDS AT LEAST SOME PEOPLE. This directly translates to a lack of empathy and disrespect, which is why those 2 words come up so often.

@DJRome, yes. Yes. Yes. Omg, yes. Keep going bro.
LOL, Wow.

@Chris: I guess you really haven't seen any Black comedians then. Watch Kat Williams, for example. And don't give me that "they are saying *****" stuff, they are two spellings of the same word. The different spellings don't give them different meanings, the INTENTIONS do.
What if I just called you "stupid loser" every time I saw you but I didn't intend it? That's ok right? Remember, I have freedom of speech! :psycho:

The freedom of speech is not petty. It is almost inextricable with the "right" that people in the Western culture have to be respected as human beings. The ability to speak our minds and thoughts without change or censorship is essentially a representation of ourselves. We are no more than what we think. If you do not value the ability for someone to speak their minds fully, then you do not value that person fully. Keep in mind that I am not saying that anyone is doing this, I would just like to bring that scenario to light.
I never said freedom of speech is petty. Taking this argument to freedom of speech is. One side is saying you shouldn't say the N word when you know **** well a friend of yours hates it, and the other side is saying "I have the right to do so, so technically I can say it". It's really that dumb. Just think of how restricted your freedom would be if you magically could never say n*gger again. OH, WHAT A SAD DAY THAT WOULD BE. Please.

DJRome

Smash Hero
lol ace, it's not about the word ****** per se. it's that it's no different from any other word in regards to freedom of speech.

and i never once said one should continue when pointed out that it's offensive. in fact i never had mentioned that the word ****** be used as a direct appositive

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
I love most of you engaging in this wonderful conversation. (Fiz, DJ) (ACE and Dorsey get their own set of Parenthesis because they're awesome)

But seriously guys.

Shut the **** up.

It is SO obviously clear that neither party is going to convince the other, so all you are doing is building up to another closed thread, and I for one think the bro rankings are more important than this triviality.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
so basically you'd rather insult someone UNTIL they say "Hey, i'd prefer you not insult me" because you have the right to say whatever you want. i just think its not a very good first impression, or a very good way to earn respect if the first thing someone does is disrespect me. i feel that the respect of others should come first. and if you're saying youre willing to strike first until someone says otherwise, then you must be thinking "hmm they might be insulted but they havent said anything yet SO i'll do this potentially offensive thing and see how they react". that just doesn't seem all that smart to me. and it doesn't seem all that smart to Dorsey either, which is how this whole thing started.

you keep the mindset of insult first, ask questions later, someone you come across will have the mindset of "beat the **** out of them first, ask questions later".

DJRome

Smash Hero
lol, again out of context. i'm not condoning randomly going up to people and saying ******. i just don't see why it should be restricted to censorship. obviously discretion is used to determine what the speaker feels is appropriate timing/venue/medium

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
if you can't randomly go up to people and say whatever's on your mind, aren't you being censored, rome? i really thought that was the basis of your argument. if you can't, it restricts freedom of thought, bro. and thats not american.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
What if I just called you "stupid loser" every time I saw you but I didn't intend it? That's ok right? Remember, I have freedom of speech! :psycho:
I know a lot of people who just throw out random insults at every given moment in time. Amongst my friends, I do that a lot too. I don't know you, and you wouldn't know me if we saw each other, and because of that, I really couldn't be bothered by it at all. Though I'll remember that reference, and I will totally know who you are if you choose to call me that the first time we meet ^_^

I never said freedom of speech is petty. Taking this argument to freedom of speech is. One side is saying you shouldn't say the N word when you know **** well a friend of yours hates it, and the other side is saying "I have the right to do so, so technically I can say it". It's really that dumb. Just think of how restricted your freedom would be if you magically could never say n*gger again. OH, WHAT A SAD DAY THAT WOULD BE. Please.
You're... not correctly representing the "other" side. Clearly, in a forum setting, there is no poll to check if people are insulted by the language in my post. That is why censorship exists in an open forum, to just cover all of your bases, so to speak. We have been saying, again and again SINCE the Brocator thread that all you would ever have to do would be to ask for someone to refrain from saying the word in their presence, and any decent human being would follow through. No one is saying that they should have the right to scream the word from the rooftops.

What's petty is that this argument is about a single slur. There are so many other ones out there, and you cannot put Blacks on this pedestal without bringing in the other censored and uncensored slurs. That isn't fair.

And it would be a sad day. Because there would be no reason for it. And if it were possible to do that to one word, who's to say that other words would be made magically unspeakable as well. In the end, we'd end up with a lot less interesting language.

EDIT:

if you can't randomly go up to people and say whatever's on your mind, aren't you being censored, rome? i really thought that was the basis of your argument. if you can't, it restricts freedom of thought, bro. and thats not american.
The fact that you are free to does not mean you will choose to. Coming up to someone directly and saying something that you know will likely offend them is dumb. Discretion is advisable.

Sometimes when I'm gaming, I joke around and say bullshi*t like "Girls suck at games," and sometimes someone adds something like "They should just stay in the kitchen and bring me a sandwich" out of jest. No one actually means **** like that (unless you're about as old fashioned as the slave owners), and yet it actually is quite offensive to a lot of women. I actually HAVE been approached by a woman before asking me to cut it out because it was hurting her feelings, at which point I sincerely apologized, and struck up a conversation to prove that we were intelligent human beings just bullsh*tting around.

People say things, some people get offended, you apologize and make up. It happens ALL the time. Why should this one word have so much "special case" around it?

DJRome

Smash Hero
i'm not saying you can't. i'm just saying i'm not encouraging it. obviously, you should do what you feel is right. idk why im trying anymore because you guys just make ridiculous exaggerations of my opinions when i try to make anything logical

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
The whole point of my initial post is that I told people to cool it with the saying of ******, niggy, and ***** because some may find it offensive. I didn't even say to stop it altogether actually, I said that the amount of times it's used is overwhelming and it's possible that someone would take it the wrong way. Then Chris posted re-affirming what I said.

So rome, show me where I went wrong with what I did. Was I even wrong? Seemingly everything up to then my actions were entirely justified, then people who, for their own personal reasons, fought for their 'right' to say ******.... But didn't you just say to chris that all he has to do is say that it bothers him and those who respect him would abstain from saying it? Uhhh.. He did. Then the argument was totally warped by people seemingly deadset on proving a point that wasn't even there to make. Or is it that what you're saying is true, and you guys don't respect him?

Or did I miss something. Help me understand.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
so you're saying that words created to insult and demean other people make our language "interesting".

i think the n word is the only one being discussed at present because its the only one being prominently used in the smash community. now, once i go around at the next tournament calling everyone a cracker, and rome chopsticks, then other things become relevant for the discussion here.

edit: rome i guess i'm just trying to find your difference between "discretion" and "censorship".

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
so you're saying that words created to insult and demean other people make our language "interesting".

i think the n word is the only one being discussed at present because its the only one being prominently used in the smash community. now, once i go around at the next tournament calling everyone a cracker, and rome chopsticks, then other things become relevant for the discussion here.
Lol.

A**, noob, cheater, gay, f@g, prick, d*ck, c*nt, b*tch, motherf*cker...

All words that either have PRIMARY definitions intended to hurt or demean, or are often used as such in modern society. All are popular in gaming societies.

EDIT: I should actually like to note that the N word has an alternative and popular modern definition as a synonym to "Bro." As in, "my n*ggas." Most other slurs do not have the pleasure of also being used in a positive light.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'm done with this. If I go down as "that guy who doesn't like it when people say n*gger in the presence of an African American individual whom is offended by it", GOOD.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I'm done with this. If I go down as "that guy who doesn't like it when people say n*gger in the presence of an African American individual whom is offended by it", GOOD.
I guess I throw in the flag too, because you once again blatantly ignored pages of posting as to why this exact view is EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE SUPPORTING.

EDIT: That came off as shouty, I'm just flustered. Much love, brudda <3.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
The whole point of my initial post is that I told people to cool it with the saying of ******, niggy, and ***** because some may find it offensive. I didn't even say to stop it altogether actually, I said that the amount of times it's used is overwhelming and it's possible that someone would take it the wrong way. Then Chris posted re-affirming what I said.

So rome, show me where I went wrong with what I did. Was I even wrong? Seemingly everything up to then my actions were entirely justified, then people who, for their own personal reasons, fought for their 'right' to say ******.... But didn't you just say to chris that all he has to do is say that it bothers him and those who respect him would abstain from saying it? Uhhh.. He did. Then the argument was totally warped by people seemingly deadset on proving a point that wasn't even there to make. Or is it that what you're saying is true, and you guys don't respect him?

Or did I miss something. Help me understand.
Ledger, you said you agree with everything rome said and you were one of the initial people arguing... So perhaps you could shed some light on my questions above?? Seems like we've hit a snag here.

Top Bottom