• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Name any dumb character request for smash

Burb

The Absolute Worst
That Cameo wasn't real appearence in fact it wasn't the star spirit himself it was just a robot
Because that makes such a difference.

It was still Geno.

Square Enix cares about the way they show a forgotten character again in a perfect way look at dissidia for example they did bring all the forgotten FF main characters and main villain in a fighting game in a way to show them really shine again I am sure square Enix won't bring Geno back in a sport game
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Quest_&_Final_Fantasy_in_Itadaki_Street_Special

This game came out before Dissidia.

It features Final Fantasy characters that had not appeared outside of Kingdom Hearts in years.

Do you know what Itadaki Street is?

http://www.mariowiki.com/Fortune_Street

It's Fortune Street. Y'know, one of the games you said Geno was "too important to return in".

He disappeared because of the copyright issue also Geno can represent the Mario RPGs seires since SMRPG started all
"He disappeared because of copyright but it's totally reasonable to think he could get brought back full-time after only having appeared one other time in the past 19 years, even despite the fact that the copyright still stands, and despite none of the other RPG-only characters never re-appearing outside the RPGs!"

sounds realistic to me, yeah.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Because that makes such a difference.

It was still Geno.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Quest_&_Final_Fantasy_in_Itadaki_Street_Special

This game came out before Dissidia.

It features Final Fantasy characters that had not appeared outside of Kingdom Hearts in years.

Do you know what Itadaki Street is?

http://www.mariowiki.com/Fortune_Street

It's Fortune Street. Y'know, one of the games you said Geno was "too important to return in".

"He disappeared because of copyright but it's totally reasonable to think he could get brought back full-time after only having appeared one other time in the past 19 years, even despite the fact that the copyright still stands, and despite none of the other RPG-only characters never re-appearing outside the RPGs!"

sounds realistic to me, yeah.
yes its different the star spirit and Geno are not the same things unless if you mix them or show the star spirit in the game

VII to XII? those characters werent forgotten at the time the forgotten character are the one that passed more than 7 years of dissapearing

board/puzzel game? this is way worse than having him back in a sport game and both of them are already not perfect choice to use him again i already said they want to bring forgotten characters in a fighting/remake/squel game

Burb

The Absolute Worst
yes its different the star spirit and Geno are not the same things unless if you mix them or show the star spirit in the game

VII to XII? those characters werent forgotten at the time the forgotten character are the one that passed more than 7 years of dissapearing

board/puzzel game? this is way worse than having him back in a sport game and both of them are already not perfect choice to use him again i already said they want to bring forgotten characters in a fighting/remake/squel game
You're just moving the goalpost at this point.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Geno was the name of the doll. The doll shows up in SSS. It was Geno. There's the bloody copyright in the credits as well.

What has Geno done to deserve such a "grand" return? If they wanted to bring him back to Mario they would've done so in the sports games and SE don't care if you think Geno deserves a "grand" return. If I were a Geno fan I'd just be hoping he'd actually have another appearance at all instead of insisting he be treated like a Rockstar for his return.

Paper Mario does it better, especially since that series is the main Mario RPG's these days, alongside the Mario and Luigi series. SMPRPG is the first, but it's far from the most well-known Mario RPG nowadays.
Plus it's Paper MARIO.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Paper Mario does it better, especially since that series is the main Mario RPG's these days, alongside the Mario and Luigi series. SMRPG is the first, but it's far from the most well-known Mario RPG nowadays.
SMRPG was still more important in nintendo history than mario paper seires
Geno was the name of the doll. The doll shows up in SSS. It was Geno. There's the bloody copyright in the credits as well.

What has Geno done to deserve such a "grand" return? If they wanted to bring him back to Mario they would've done so in the sports games and SE don't care if you think Geno deserves a "grand" return. If I were a Geno fan I'd just be hoping he'd actually have another appearance at all instead of insisting he be treated like a Rockstar for his return.

Plus it's Paper MARIO.
nope the star spirit =/= Geno

because square enix cares about the way that a forgotten character reutern and i already proved this
You're just moving the goalpost at this point.
it will take alot of time to expalin this one because its something that happend way in the past between nintendo and square

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
SMRPG was still more important in nintendo history than mario paper seires
Source: You

because square enix cares about the way that a forgotten character reutern and i already proved this

it will take alot of time to expalin this one because its something that happend way in the past between nintendo and square
And I already proved that they wouldn't be opposed to bringing a character back in Fortune Street/Itadaki Street. Your response was "they dont count cuz they weren't gone for as long as Geno", which was moving the goalpost.

What happened between Nintendo and Square is irrelevant. They've patched up their differences and Square has developed games for Nintendo platforms using Nintendo characters. Geno is still Square property and Nintendo has shown absolutely no interest whatsoever in getting him back.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
nope the star spirit =/= Geno

That's what I said?
The doll's name was Geno. The doll reappeared in SSS counting as a reappearance for Geno. In no way did I mention the Star Spirit in that comment.
Reading.

You haven't proven how SE care about bringing back forgotten characters. Saying that Chrono and Geno haven't had reappearances yet isn't a good enough argument.

Last edited:

NateCurtis(NJC)

Smash Apprentice
If someone wants a character to get in super smash bros and there dreaming every day that there character will get in and you think that character will never get in super smash bros and you don't think it will ever happen than that's okay,but don't go arguing about it, saying it will never happen cause that could hurt someone's feelings.I have a friend who has been voting and praying for spiderman to get in super smash bros,I know it will never happen,but I'm not going to go and tell him that the character he's voting for will never get in super smash bros.So if you don't think Geno will ever get in super smash bros than that's okay,I don't give a damn,but don't go and say it will never happen, cause that's just mean.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
If someone wants a character to get in super smash bros and there dreaming every day that there character will get in and you think that character will never get in super smash bros and you don't think it will ever happen than that's okay,but don't go arguing about it, saying it will never happen cause that could hurt someone's feelings.I have a friend who has been voting and praying for spiderman to get in super smash bros,I know it will never happen,but I'm not going to go and tell him that the character he's voting for will never get in super smash bros.So if you don't think Geno will ever get in super smash bros than that's okay,I don't give a damn,but don't go and say it will never happen, cause that's just mean.
Yea this is the most "agree to disagree" thread if I've ever seen one.

That goes both ways as well, since you can just choose to ignore opinions from Dastardly, Burb, etc instead of reacting to and addressing them infinitely.

Generally I'm not a fan of these kinds of useless conversations since they tend to be a circle jerk of likes and siding with one opinion or the other (ending in a colossal waste of time, nothing changed). We should be back to the OP's question and thread title.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Source: You

And I already proved that they wouldn't be opposed to bringing a character back in Fortune Street/Itadaki Street. Your response was "they dont count cuz they weren't gone for as long as Geno", which was moving the goalpost.

What happened between Nintendo and Square is irrelevant. They've patched up their differences and Square has developed games for Nintendo platforms using Nintendo characters. Geno is still Square property and Nintendo has shown absolutely no interest whatsoever in getting him back.
That's what I said?
The doll's name was Geno. The doll reappeared in SSS counting as a reappearance for Geno. In no way did I mention the Star Spirit in that comment.
Reading.

You haven't proven how SE care about bringing back forgotten characters. Saying that Chrono and Geno haven't had reappearances yet isn't a good enough argument.
This is really getting ridiculous and I am really tiered of This!

First of all!, not every character in smash was perfect choice they all have negative and positive reasons at the same time

Second!, a character who have a chance to be in smash should follow sakurai rules and they are:
-must be video game character
-must appear in a Nintendo console
-should made important rule in the game that the character appeared in
-sakurai should like the character (so no waluigi and chrom unless if he change his opinion)

So stop trying to say Geno is impossible if he already follow sakurai rule!

Third, sakurai and Nintendo choose what they wants on the roster not you!

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

First of all!, not every character in smash was perfect choice

Second!, a character who have a chance to be in smash should follow sakurai rules and they are:
-sakurai should like the character (so no waluigi and chrom unless if he change his opinion)

Yes I'm tired of hearing the same, tired, old arguments that hold no ground too.

In your opinion. I think they all fit in nicely. Lucina and Goth Dark pit need some fleshing out and that's it really.

I never said anything about Geno's chances so it really doesn't apply.
And the whole thread is about dumb choices. It's opinionated. If you can't handle someone bringing up one of your choices then don't go into the thread.

Burb

The Absolute Worst

^ You right now.

First of all!, not every character in smash was perfect choice
I dunno, I think every single character who's ever appeared in Smash is a better and more logical choice than Geno.

Geno is completely irrelevant, requires permission from a third party, and is not even the most requested Mario character these days. There is no benefit whatsoever to adding him.

Right, and considering the fact that Geno isn't in Smash..... :awesome:

Last edited:

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, I think every single character who's ever appeared in Smash is a better and more logical choice than Geno.
I wouldn't say that Doctor Mario makes much sense in Smash by the standards we've established though

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I wouldn't say that Doctor Mario makes much sense in Smash by the standards we've established though
yea and neither did Roy (didn't even have a game out yet) or Marth or any other character I've already listed off ages ago when I made that point.

+1 to swagmaster for trying to be relevant -

Heathcliff for Smash 4 DLC ZOMGzors!

Geno Boost

Smash Master

^ You right now.

Geno is completely irrelevant, requires permission from a third party, and is not even the most requested Mario character these days. There is no benefit whatsoever to adding him.

Right, and considering the fact that Geno isn't in Smash..... :awesome:
That's only your opinion

Still not impossible and all what your telling me now is everything that Geno have is negative reasons, but there is always positive reasons

Yes and king k. Rool and Isaac and bomberman and so on

Burb

The Absolute Worst
That's only your opinion

Still not impossible and all what your telling me now is everything that Geno have is negative reasons, but there is always positive reasons

Yes and king k. Rool and Isaac and bomberman and so on
What's your point? Pretty much everything you've said thus far has been an opinion.

You're in a topic dedicated to naming character requests people think are stupid.

It's kinda hard to take you saying "BE NICE TO PEOPLE ABOUT THEIR REQUESTS!" when you chose to view a topic where the whole point is to name requests that people find stupid.

I find Geno to be a stupid request.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What's your point? Pretty much everything you've said thus far has been an opinion.

You're in a topic dedicated to naming character requests people think are stupid.

It's kinda hard to take you saying "BE NICE TO PEOPLE ABOUT THEIR REQUESTS!" when you chose to view a topic where the whole point is to name requests that people find stupid.

I find Geno to be a stupid request.
Same here. Let's face it: Geno is so much of a minor character, he's not that significant to the Mario franchise to begin with.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Same here. Let's face it: Geno is so much of a minor character, he's not that significant to the Mario franchise to begin with.
That's the main reason I'm opposed to Geno in Smash.

I know I probably give the impression that I hate Geno as a character or SMRPG, but it has nothing to do with Geno the character or SMRPG as a game. SMRPG was part of my childhood, and it's an all-time favorite game of mine. I'm not particularly attached to Geno (I usually drop him and never use him again as soon as Bowser joins the party), but I don't hate him.

It's just.....there's still a lot of Mario characters who should (and would) get in before Geno should even cross the developers' minds. He was important to SMRPG, but that's the only Mario game he was important to. He's a complete non-entity in the modern series. SMRPG kickstarting the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series doesn't warrant Geno a spot on the Smash roster.

Square Enix's ownership of Geno coupled with his lack of mainstream appeal makes him a near-impossibility, but even if something were to happen that did result in him becoming a realistic newcomer option, I'd still be against it because there's Mario characters left that he just shouldn't get in before. Give us Paper Mario, a playable Toad, and even Waluigi or Daisy before Geno is even put into consideration.

Geno's worth a regular, non-Assist, collectible trophy at best.

Last edited:

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
That's the main reason I'm opposed to Geno in Smash.

I know I probably give the impression that I hate Geno as a character or SMRPG, but it has nothing to do with Geno the character or SMRPG as a game. SMRPG was part of my childhood, and it's an all-time favorite game of mine. I'm not particularly attached to Geno (I usually drop him and never use him again as soon as Bowser joins the party), but I don't hate him.

It's just.....there's still a lot of Mario characters who should (and would) get in before Geno should even cross the developers' minds. He was important to SMRPG, but that's the only Mario game he was important to. He's a complete non-entity in the modern series. SMRPG kickstarting the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series doesn't warrant Geno a spot on the Smash roster.

Square Enix's ownership of Geno coupled with his lack of mainstream appeal makes him a near-impossibility, but even if something were to happen that did result in him becoming a realistic newcomer option, I'd still be against it because there's Mario characters left that he just shouldn't get in before. Give us Paper Mario, a playable Toad, and even Waluigi or Daisy before Geno is even put into consideration.

Geno's worth a regular, non-Assist, collectible trophy at best.
Well the main reason I want Geno is his moveset would be awesome but that's my opinion and I also use bowser but Bowser is the weakest party member :3 then mallow then peach but she is the best for healing then Geno and Mario is the best for damage

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Well the main reason I want Geno is his moveset would be awesome but that's my opinion and I also use bowser but Bowser is the weakest party member :3 then mallow then peach but she is the best for healing then Geno and Mario is the best for damage
There's plenty of characters who I think would be awesome. Doesn't mean they belong in Smash, though.

I prefer to use Bowser as my heavy hitter in SMRPG because he's probably my favorite video game character, period, and I find Geno's timed hits to be awkward to execute compared to the rest of the characters'.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace

And what is the Smash Ballot for then?

- You knowing/not knowing a character means nothing. It doesn't change that Snake is an icon to the Stealth genre because MGS popularised it.

- Sakurai has said that "Not just anyone can get into Smash Bros". This implies being iconic for third parties.

- If Geno was a part of Nintendo then I think he'd actually be acknowledged in Nintendo games beyond Superstar Saga. He hasn't. The perfect opportunities arose with Mario Hoops 3 on 3, Sports mix and Fortune Street. It didn't happen. We instead got the more important to SE FF characters/jobs and DQ characters.

- Not really. Square are really stingy with their characters. They didn't let Lara Croft OR Cloud in PSASBR. I think they'd rather a character they actually use would get into Smash Bros. Not someone that's been dead for over a decade.

- Not in this game. Even so I doubt it'd be Geno and someone else.
I'd like to just step in and point out that I have seen a lot of post-hoc logic coming from people who don't want to see popular underdog characters like Geno get in and I want to correct a lot of the misconceptions.

First of all, Smash is not just for "iconic" or the most popular characters. Smash is not a meaningless advertisement and marketing tool. It's supposed to be about highlighting Nintendo's history and important aspects of the Nintendo mythos which is why we see characters on the roster like ROB and Wii Fit Trainer who no one thought of or would have wanted if they were proposed beforehand.

Secondly you're forgetting that Geno's situation is very very different from most other characters. The reason he wasn't featured in subsequent Mario games had nothing to do with his worth or his popularity. It was because Square and Nintendo feuded for 10 years because Square decided to release FF7 for the PS1 and not the N64. It is only in recent years that they buried the hatchet which is why SMRPG fans are clamoring for Geno to be in Smash in the first place. The whole point is to put him into the spotlight they feel he deserves and was wrongly denied because of the feud. This is why arguments such as "If Geno was popular he would've been in other games besides SMRPG!" are meaningless. He simply couldn't because of the feud.

This is also why other post-hoc arguments such as "If Geno was a part of Nintendo then I think he'd actually be acknowledged in Nintendo games beyond Superstar Saga. He hasn't." are meaningless. The reason the Superstar Saga Geno cameo happened in the first place was because Alphadream (which is staffed by Square migrants who worked on the original SMRPG) went to Square and pulled strings. Alphadream is the company that really kind of holds the keys to the SMRPG castle, not so much Square. Even with them, after being told in an interview how popular Geno and Mallow are, they decided to try to give them another cameo in a future game.

Geno has most certainly not fallen out of the spotlight due to lack of popularity, nor does his lack of inclusion make him a "minor" character. Geno's legal situation is very complex, and without an understanding of it we end up coming to foolish conclusions like the kind you and others are kind of arguing here. Geno and Mallow haven't been in obscurity because of a lack of popularity. They've been that way because of the feud between Nintendo and Square and because of a lack of awareness on Alphadream's part of Geno and Mallow's true popularity, which is quite immense. It is why we Geno fans go to such painstaking lengths to put Geno out there, so they can see how much people truly want them back. The whole point is to fix what we perceive is a great wrong and to argue that the only characters who should get into Smash are those who fit our subjective and poorly defined standards of who is "deserving", "important" or "relevant" would cause us to miss out on many otherwise good and popular characters (and like it or not, Geno is still a pretty big fan favorite), and I'm not just talking Geno -- you could make those same arguments about King K. Rool or most other retro characters, especially most Square characters people want.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I'm just liking for the sheer amount of well thought out text you wrote.

I come from the world of Melee so this ballot thing is oh-so new to me. I'm amazed and actually a bit bewildered at how much time and energy you guys expend discussing the matter across so many threads.

I mean I buy and sell on eBay and such, so an hour of my time = $25-40
an hour discussing possible characters that may never ever see the light of day = $0

Perhaps that point is irrelevant since this is a place to spend free time and entertain ourselves. Just don't let it leave you in a grumpy salty mood.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I'm just liking for the sheer amount of well thought out text you wrote.

I come from the world of Melee so this ballot thing is oh-so new to me. I'm amazed and actually a bit bewildered at how much time and energy you guys expend discussing the matter across so many threads.

I mean I buy and sell on eBay and such, so an hour of my time = $25-40
an hour discussing possible characters that may never ever see the light of day = $0

Perhaps that point is irrelevant since this is a place to spend free time and entertain ourselves. Just don't let it leave you in a grumpy salty mood.
No salt here; arguing about this stuff is an important part of participating in the Smash community. There are more important things in life than money, you know, like doing stuff that makes us happy. And for us what makes us happy is arguing about characters in Smash.

Smash is mostly about celebrating the huge emotional connections players have to the characters in the game, because for us those characters formed an integral part of our childhood which continues to give us joy in our adult lives. Especially those of us who've played retro games like SMRPG and various NES games and the like when we were kids. It's what brought us happiness before and what brings us happiness now, like how some people are into sports or writing or any number of different hobbies. Gaming's no different. Which is why we are passionate about these sorts of things. There's nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Illidan Stormrage for Smash 4 DLC guys
anyone who argues with me just isn't prepared
also screw golden sun, binding of isaac is coming to 3ds soon so we need that isaac instead

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Oi, you guys want to hear an actual dumb request? I legitimately want Clefairy in Smash Bros. Go ahead, laugh. We all know it will never happen, but that won't stop me.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Oi, you guys want to hear an actual dumb request? I legitimately want Clefairy in Smash Bros. Go ahead, laugh. We all know it will never happen, but that won't stop me.
I would absolutely love an all Pokemon Smash Bros game. It's such a perfect format for it, the only problem would be trying to balance all the characters, I want all the original 151 :)

Top Bottom