• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NAMCO's Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
It's great logic. They can't have Tekken/Metal Gear people in Sony fighting games and Smash. That would show way to much love to them and be unfair to the other characters. Which is why Snake will be removed from Smash 4.
No, it's bad logic and none of it adds up. According to your argument because Snake was in Brawl Raiden shouldn't have been in All-Stars right? Also, Dante is a Capcoom character who was in All-stars, yet Megaman, another Capcom character, still made it in ssb4. For your argument to make sense Raiden would've had to not be in all-stars, the fact that he was means your logic is severely flawed. Snake made it in brawl because Kojima was good friends with Sakurai. Now that either happens again or it doesn't it has nothing to do with all-stars whatsoever. Same goes for Tekken characters.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I love Pac-Man..but I like Lloyd more.

I'd prefer Regal, Raine, or Repede from Vesperia tho :3

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
If we're lucky, NAMCO won't get a character rep in the game. ;)

Anyways, I'd choose Pac-Man because his video game icon status.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Why do people still think Klonoa will even have a chance? Not trying to be mean but out of all the possible Namco reps Klonoa is one of the least likely. I love his games and all but i can't see him even getting considered. :(

If anything, Pac-Man, Lloyd, and Heihachi are the most likely choices.

Pac-Man - Sakurai had some very interesting comments about him.

Lloyd - Tales guys want a rep in Smash

Heihachi - Tekken's mascot/crossover character. (Soul Calibur 2, Pac-Man Fever, Smash Cort Tennis 2, Playstation All-Stars. And no. Being in PSASBR does not stop Heihachi from getting into Smash)

If i'm lucky, NAMCO won't get a character rep in the game.
Fixed.

Anyways, I'd choose Pac-Man because his video game icon status.
Yes. :laugh:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
It's gotta be pac-man. If Namco gets a rep, which they probably will, Pac-Man is the only reasonable choice.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
No, it's bad logic and none of it adds up. According to your argument because Snake was in Brawl Raiden shouldn't have been in All-Stars right? Also, Dante is a Capcoom character who was in All-stars, yet Megaman, another Capcom character, still made it in ssb4. For your argument to make sense Raiden would've had to not be in all-stars, the fact that he was means your logic is severely flawed. Snake made it in brawl because Kojima was good friends with Sakurai. Now that either happens again or it doesn't it has nothing to do with all-stars whatsoever. Same goes for Tekken characters.

No it's not bad logic and it does add up. I'm not here to deal with trolls. I already explained my reasons. You don't have to agree with them, but this thread isn't for you to argue with me about it. You can do that in PMs if you want.

Anyways...I do think Klanoa would fit in really well with the Smash characters, but I just don't think he is popular enough.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I would honestly have to say Lloyd Irving. And, not because I'm biased. I have reasons.

GASP.

The developers ARE the Tales dudes. Lloyd would be HELLA easy to recreate in a game like Smash, I mean jeez, all his skills have names AND they are set to directional or neutral inputs, and..... another sword character! I'm hearing a lot of disagreement with having more sword characters, though. Why? It's not like we have 30 characters that use their fist, right? Plus, he has 2 swords! Nice.

Pac Man would definitely be one of the top priorities but come on. I think he'd only be hype for all of 5 minutes. Even if you gave him his version with arms and legs how many attacks can you fit in him with as much as 28 inputs(I think). I can't even think up taunts or throws.

Lastly, I think Luke has zero chance regardless of the 3DS version. I'd say Asbel Lhant from Graces or even Cless from Phantasia has a better shot.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
The other reason Pac-Man makes sense, is because he is getting a new game coming out for Wii U, and other systems? (Not sure if it's just a Wii U title or not)

CalumG

Smash Lord
Pac-Man is to likely but I just can't see how he would work move set wise. When Pac-Man was added in Street Fighter X Tekken, the only way they could make it work was he had to battle using a machine, and if they try the same thing for Smash then their just giving Porky the middle finger. The only thing I could see working is where Pac-Man eats the Smash Ball.

Klonoa and Lloyd are more easier to work with.

Pac Man would definitely be one of the top priorities but come on. I think he'd only be hype for all of 5 minutes. Even if you gave him his version with arms and legs how many attacks can you fit in him with as much as 28 inputs(I think). I can't even think up taunts or throws.
I don't see why this is even being brought up like it's a concern. This isn't aimed strictly at you two, but honestly it boggles my mind sometimes that the Smash community has come up with dozens of movesets for small-time characters - Waluigi, Lip (Panel De Pon), Ashley (WarioWare), Little Mac (who's potential essentially comes down to "punches", not that I don't want him in) - and yet everywhere I go I see people who can't imagine even a half-decent moveset for the likes of Pac-Man, who's got over 25 franchise entries under his belt before even considering ports and remakes.

I mean, even if we take all of the awful games out of the list (and he's got a fair few - but that never stopped Sonic), we've still got a character who would have quite a few unique attributes to take advantage of. Right off the bat I guess he would have some moves with similar visual appearances to other characters' moves - I can picture him having a move like Wario's Bite, and a move like Rollout - but although we've had characters biting other characters and characters swallowing other characters, have we had a character yet who's moveset was heavily based on biting and/or swallowing people? Even aside from that I could see Pac-Man having his share of unique attributes, such as having the only dash attack in the game with little lag and almost no running slowdown, allowing you to basically run from one side of the screen to the other doing chomping motions (complete with 'waka waka' noises).

His Up B could be a move where the player gets full four directional control of Pac-Man for a limited amount of time, ignoring gravity. Basically, for about 3 or 4seconds he'd control exactly as he did in the arcade originals, if you like. In fact that could be another feature of his character; although he'd be visually similar to how he looked in the Pac-Man World's and the arcade cabinet art, his animations would be quite juttery like Wario or Game and Watch.

As for the Final Smash and taunts, they pretty much write themselves. Refer to this Sakurai interview for ideas of the Final Smash, and remember how Young Link pulled out milk and drank it? Imagine something similar, only Pac-Man could pull out any random fruit (or occasionally something stranger like a Galaga ship) to consume.

But now I'm getting carried away. It's not too hard to think of a moveset for Pac-Man, even if you ignore the sketchier entries in the franchise (basically every Pac-Man that's not in a maze, although I do like Pac Pix and Pac 'n' Roll), like how Sonic was visually the 'new' Sonic but very much quintessential old-school Sonic in gameplay. I do wonder whether people can't come up with good movesets for Pac-Man, or just don't want to.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'd say that Sonic had a lot of potential moves himself but they all turned to spins eventually. The same can happen to Pac Man. I think generally they wanted to keep his more iconic moves in which is all but 4 things.

Though, it's true that not all characters have moves that are canon, like all of Luigi's moves, I believe it's a priority for 3rd party.

I'd be ecstatic to see Pac Man in Mario Kart 8, I go WTF if Lloyd was in it.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I don't see why this is even being brought up like it's a concern. This isn't aimed strictly at you two, but honestly it boggles my mind sometimes that the Smash community has come up with dozens of movesets for small-time characters - Waluigi, Lip (Panel De Pon), Ashley (WarioWare), Little Mac (who's potential essentially comes down to "punches", not that I don't want him in) - and yet everywhere I go I see people who can't imagine even a half-decent moveset for the likes of Pac-Man, who's got over 25 franchise entries under his belt before even considering ports and remakes.

I love the fact you said Ashley. She's my favorite Warioware character and I'd used her if she was in it. Although I'm 90% sure Kat and Ana will be in as the second WarioWare character.

*EDIT*

Here are the reasons I posted before somewhere else about why I believe Kat and Ana will be in Smash 4.

"Smash 4: New Unique characters + "The 3DS version is having problems with characters like "ICE CLIMBERS" + WarioWare series needs another character + "More strong females" + Kat and Ana being a duo character like Ice climbers = Kat and Ana for Smash 4. I'm calling it now.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/images/assist15/assist15_080206_art3.jpg"

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
No it's not bad logic and it does add up. I'm not here to deal with trolls. I already explained my reasons. You don't have to agree with them, but this thread isn't for you to argue with me about it. You can do that in PMs if you want.
It was my understanding that we're here to debate the inclusion of characters in ssb4, no? If you get this mad when someone puts a hole in your logic then maybe you shouldn't share your opinions on the internet. Just so you know, when you post things like "Which is why Snake will be removed from smash 4" that's obvious grounds for debate. You must have known this when you typed it.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
It was my understanding that we're here to debate the inclusion of characters in ssb4, no? If you get this mad when someone puts a hole in your logic then maybe you shouldn't share your opinions on the internet. Just so you know, when you post things like "Which is why Snake will be removed from smash 4" that's obvious grounds for debate. You must have known this when you typed it.
Nobody is getting mad, and we were done talking about that. And if you read the title correctly this is about NAMCO's character, not Snake or anything to do with him. I'll just report your next post cause I'm not here to deal with people like you lol. There is no hole in my logic, if there is prove it when Smash 4 comes out and the characters you think will get in that I think wouldn't do get it. If they don't get in then I was right and that's that. Now please stop harassing me.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
Nobody is getting mad, and we were done talking about that. And if you read the title correctly this is about NAMCO's character, not Snake or anything to do with him. I'll just report your next post cause I'm not here to deal with people like you lol. There is no hole in my logic, if there is prove it when Smash 4 comes out and the characters you think will get in that I think wouldn't do get it. If they don't get in then I was right and that's that. Now please stop harassing me.
Please understand that I am not harassing you. At this point I'm simply trying to understand what I did to piss you off, preferrably without doing it again. I believe you misinterpreted my post. I'm not saying any character will or will not be in smash 4, that's what you were saying, I was trying to explain why Playstion all-stars has no power over smash, and after all you did start this argument yourself when you replied to Greenluigiman2 on the first page, remember? Understand I'm not trying to offend anybody, but also understand that I haven't done anything you haven't already done, and most importantly understand that just because you began this topic doesn't mean you have special privilages or power over anyone here. Not sure what kind of person you think I am, but surely you're not the kind of guy who passes judgement on someone just because they disagree with you on something as trivial as a character spot in a videogame, that would be childish and I believe we're both above that.

Edit: I know you created this thread and all, but why is it okay for you to dicuss non NAMCO characters, Snake in this case, and then report me when I reply to you about it? Again, you don't have special privilages here. "PSAS has no power over smash" that was my point and IS relevent to Namco's characters, specifically Tekken.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Please understand that I am not harassing you. At this point I'm simply trying to understand what I did to piss you off, preferrably without doing it again. I believe you misinterpreted my post. I'm not saying any character will or will not be in smash 4, that's what you were saying, I was trying to explain why Playstion all-stars has no power over smash, and after all you did start this argument yourself when you replied to Greenluigiman2 on the first page, remember? Understand I'm not trying to offend anybody, but also understand that I haven't done anything you haven't already done, and most importantly understand that just because you began this topic doesn't mean you have special privilages or power over anyone here. Not sure what kind of person you think I am, but surely you're not the kind of guy who passes judgement on someone just because they disagree with you on something as trivial as a character spot in a videogame, that would be childish and I believe we're both above that.

You're attempting to offend me by keeping implying that I am angry, when I'm not. Please understand that and leave me alone. Thank you~

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
You're attempting to offend me by keeping implying that I am angry, when I'm not. Please understand that and leave me alone. Thank you~
It was never my intention to offend you, honest. You aren't angry, I understand that. If you harbor no ressentment against me then atleast accept my apology for having inconvienenced you.

Edit: And yes, I'm being genuine right now. I am not trying to offend you.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
It was never my intention to offend you, honest. You aren't angry, I understand that. If you harbor no ressentment against me then atleast accept my apology for having inconvienenced you.
Please PM me if you're not going to talk about this thread or anything to do with it.

And to get back on subject, for you Pac-Man people. If he was in the game would he have projectiles? And if so what do you think they'd be? Not sure if someone already made like a complete move set for him yet, but if they have I'd love for someone to post it here.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
Wow... that was cold :crying:

Anyways, if Pac-Man did use projectiles it would definitely be his pellets, after all he did use them in street fighter X tekken and I don't know what else they'd be... fruit maybe.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I always figured he'd use the Slingshot from this game. (In fact, I always imagined the majority of my inspiration for Pac-Man's moveset to be from this game, right down to Super Pac-Man as an FS.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TpemOEKhns
Granted, have wanted this since way before Villager was confirmed, so I'm doubtful they'd both use a Slingshot nowadays.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I always figured he'd use the Slingshot from this game. (In fact, I always imagined the majority of my inspiration for Pac-Man's moveset to be from this game, right down to Super Pac-Man as an FS.)

Granted, have wanted this since way before Villager was confirmed, so I'm doubtful they'd both use a Slingshot nowadays.
Yea, I can't see BOTH of them using sling shots. Also I love that game~ <3

CalumG

Smash Lord

Jeeeeeeeeesus I hope not. I'd say it's fairly important that Pac-Man's moveset be inspired only by the Pac-Man games that are widely considered to be 'the good ones' in the eyes of the public, and the ones that stay true to the Pac-Man formula. Granted that may limit his moveset somewhat but it'd still give him room to have bites, swallowing moves, rolls and even bombs without compromising peoples opinion of his character.

That being said I wouldn't be entirely adverse to him having some moves inspired by his adventure-style games, but I don't think it'd be a good choice for them to heavily influence his moveset.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
As far as Tales of characters go, forgetting Emil from ToS2? Seemingly not as popular as Lloyd but was the main protagonist in the sequel to Lloyd's. Stayed as a Nintendo exclusive much longer too up till now with the soon to be released Tales of Symphonia pack release on PS3.

Though hey, if any Namco characters are going to make it I'm expecting Pac-Man anyway.
Much as I'd like to see any Tales series character show up I'm not expecting any.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo didn't agree to any Namco character at all but at least stuck in one or two as assist trophies.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
There is no hole in my logic, if there is prove it when Smash 4 comes out and the characters you think will get in that I think wouldn't do get it. If they don't get in then I was right and that's that. Now please stop harassing me.
You cannot deduce your hypothesis was correct based on character inclusion alone.

I don't see why this is even being brought up like it's a concern. This isn't aimed strictly at you two, but honestly it boggles my mind sometimes that the Smash community has come up with dozens of movesets for small-time characters...
I invoke Sturgeon's Law. You really do give off the impression that you think these move-sets are collectively any good. Many people think too much in terms of their favoritism than what their favorite character being in the game actually means for the gameplay. Additionally, while anyone is making a move-set for Pac-Man, they can make one for the Walmart Smiley as well. He can be like a clone for all the people who have waited years for a Walmart representative.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yeah......the argument that a character can't be in Smash because of PSAS is one of the stupidest assumption i've ever read.

1. They're third party. Sony and Nintendo have no say on what their owners of these IP's do with them.

2. It's an assumption. Not an argument.

3. There's no logic behind something so stupid.

4. Namco and Konami are the ones that choose what THEIR characters do. Not Sony or Nintendo. Namco and Konami can choose whether or not Snake and Heihachi can get in Smash or not. I would also like to point out that Raiden was only in PSAS because Kojima wanted to show off Revengeance. How do i know this? Because i followed PSAS since it was announced and most people here don't now what they're talking about when it comes to PSAS.

5. I'm not trolling but i guess someone is new to the internet if they think anyone who disagrees with them is a troll.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Yeah......the argument that a character can't be in Smash because of PSAS is one of the stupidest assumption i've ever read.
I read the whole thing thinking by PSAS you meant Project Smash Attacks. Like, where on earth did you read that...?

Sakurai did say there were a lot of politics involved in third party inclusions, but I don't think the proprietary companies decide explicitly what their characters can do or how they are represented, but they do have the bottom line for what passes. I think that can effectively have the same consequence, however.

I do think that a character being in multiple fighting games does reduce the odds of them being in the game if they are not so explicitly requested as Mega Man was. While Smash Bros. is a crossover fighter, it does go heavily against the grain and seems to try to distance itself from other fighting games which I wouldn't necessarily say have a low bar for inclusion, but for lack of a better analogy, lack a VIP system.

CalumG

Smash Lord
You cannot deduce your hypothesis was correct based on character inclusion alone.

I invoke Sturgeon's Law. You really do give off the impression that you think these move-sets are collectively any good. Many people think too much in terms of their favoritism than what their favorite character being in the game actually means for the gameplay. Additionally, while anyone is making a move-set for Pac-Man, they can make one for the Walmart Smiley as well. He can be like a clone for all the people who have waited years for a Walmart representative.
Good heavens no, I'll be the first person to admit that most if not all movesets in the character discussion subforum look either heavily imbalanced, heavily biased towards the character in question or just downright bad. That being said, if somebody made a post two months ago which described the movesets of Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in great detail, I'd probably have laughed them out of town - it really is all about the execution of a moveset more than anything, and I don't doubt the Smash Team's ability to make their characters work, be it Lloyd, Pacman, Klonoa or somebody else entirely.

And I'll echo the sentiment that favoritism gets in the way, big-time. That's what I was getting at, really; most people here could imagine a moveset for their favourite character off the top of their heads, but as soon as it's someone they're not particularly interested in, the 'I don't see much moveset potential' card comes into play - most likely because, unlike the fans of said character, they haven't actually taken the time to try thinking up a moveset for the character, let alone doing a bit of research into their back-catalog of moves.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I never even knew who Lloyd was till this board and I'm fairly sure that'd be a majority of peoples reactions to him.

I don't think he's a ''special case" like Sakurai looks for in third party characters at all.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Pac Man can spit out pellets as a projectile.
He can?

I'd probably have laughed them out of town - it really is all about the execution of a moveset more than anything, and I don't doubt the Smash Team's ability to make their characters work, be it Lloyd, Pacman, Klonoa or somebody else entirely.
You should also know I also want to be shown to be mistaken. I would happily play any Namco character if they could make them different and interesting in terms of gameplay.

but as soon as it's someone they're not particularly interested in, the 'I don't see much moveset potential' card comes into play.
To be fair, you can't expect to squeeze much creativity out of an uninspired mind, and just as little as an inspired but highly biased one. I still think the case is that it would be difficult to control for boredom and favoritism while getting something meaningful to the gameplay out of these characters. But like I said, I would love to be proven wrong, and the series was established on bringing in many characters that were originally never fighters to duke it out.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yes. He did it in Pac-In-Time. He actually turned himself into a living machine gun when he starts spitting out those pellets. (I'm not kidding)

I never even knew who Lloyd was till this board and I'm fairly sure that'd be a majority of peoples reactions to him.

I don't think he's a ''special case" like Sakurai looks for in third party characters at all.
Based on Sakurai's current comments on third parties, he seems to only be looking for famous third party characters. Pac-Man is kind of a famous guy ya see. herp

Xaltis

Smash Hero

1. They're third party. Sony and Nintendo have no say on what their owners of these IP's do with them.

2. It's an assumption. Not an argument.

3. There's no logic behind something so stupid.

4. Namco and Konami are the ones that choose what THEIR characters do. Not Sony or Nintendo. Namco and Konami can choose whether or not Snake and Heihachi can get in Smash or not. I would also like to point out that Raiden was only in PSAS because Kojima wanted to show off Revengeance. How do i know this? Because i followed PSAS since it was announced and most people here don't now what they're talking about when it comes to PSAS.

5. I'm not trolling but i guess someone is new to the internet if they thing anyone who disagrees with them is a troll.
I already put an end to this, and then you come in here to troll and start it back up. You're post has been reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom