• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NAMCO's Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
So I haven't seen any threads for this on the first or second page. I apologize if there is already one.

Not too long of a post, but out of the 3 top picks for NAMCO. Which do you guys think will be the most likely? (Wish I could make a poll)

Pac-Man
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/nx/chars/pacman/pacman-thumbsup.jpg

Lloyrd Irving
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu359/plasmasoul1/TalesofSymphonia-8.jpg

Luke Fon Fabre
http://www.hellocosplay.com/images/costumes/luke-fon-fabre-costume-from-tales-of-the-abyss-1.jpg

I think Lloyd over everyone because regardless of the new remakes of both Tales of the Abyss for 3DS and Tales of Symphonia for PS3. Lloyd originated on Nintendo and Luke originated on Sony. I also say Lloyd over Pac-Man even though I still fear Pac-man being in, because the story mode (like SSE) in Smash 4 is going to be in the style of the Tales games.

Those are my thoughts and I want to hear other people's I'm really interested in NAMCO's character choice.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I also say Lloyd over Pac-Man even though I still fear Pac-man being in, because the story mode (like SSE) in Smash 4 is going to be in the style of the Tales games.

Where did you hear this?

It has been said until now that Smash 4 will not have an SSE style story mode. It was stated that they would do a simpler form of single player but give us cut scenes to make it more interesting. Basically people interpreted that Smash 4 might just be going back to regular adventure mode like Melee but earning cut scenes portraying unlocked characters (although there is no actual confirmation of this).

Was there an actual source about your comment?

Anyways as of my opinion, I believe that if Namco does add a character it will most likely be their mascot and historical icon Pac-Man.

There is no reason to add anyone else over Pac-Man (if they are adding anyone at all), and Namco has been hard at promoting Pac-Man this year.

They have had him shown and mentioned in many different conferences, they made him have cameos in several games, they are creating a Pac-Man TV Show, and a new Pac-Man game. They even went as far as giving Pac-Man his own personal booth at E3 (although it was outside the building and it was kind of small).

I don't see why they wouldn't put him in Smash considering its such a huge promotion.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Where did you hear this? It has been said until now that Smash 4 will not have an SSE style story mode. It was stated that they would do a simpler form of single player but give us cut scenes to make it more interesting. Basically people interpreted that Smash 4 might just be going back to regular adventure mode like Melee but earning cut scenes portraying unlocked characters (although there is no actual confirmation of this). Was there an actual source for the above?

Anyways as of my opinion, I believe that if Namco does add a character it will most likely be their mascot and historical icon Pac-Man.

Here is the most current post of it. I don't see it DIRECTLY saying that but here's a good quote.

"Take the single-player Subspace Emissary mode in Brawl. It not only suffered in terms of storyline but a feeling of progression and achievement as well. Don’t give us stickers and a bizarre plot featuring subspace goblins. Give us something more meaningful that has a strong sense of purpose, with mechanics to support that. Bringing in members of the Tales team, including series producer Yo****o Higuchi, who will be directing the upcoming Smash games, is the perfect way to address some of these issues. Developers responsible for 60-plus hour RPGs understand how to sustain a lengthy campaign, and the idea that Smash Bros. will benefit from that experience is reassuring."

Also your point about Pac-Man is absolutely correct. Which is the reason I fear him being in more than either Tales character. o.o

Uffe

Smash Hero
I want to say Pac Man considering that he's one of the earliest Namco characters if not the first Namco character. I have a feeling a Tales of character will be introduced, though.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Here is the most current post of it. I don't see it DIRECTLY saying that but here's a good quote.

"Take the single-player Subspace Emissary mode in Brawl. It not only suffered in terms of storyline but a feeling of progression and achievement as well. Don’t give us stickers and a bizarre plot featuring subspace goblins. Give us something more meaningful that has a strong sense of purpose, with mechanics to support that. Bringing in members of the Tales team, including series producer Yo****o Higuchi, who will be directing the upcoming Smash games, is the perfect way to address some of these issues. Developers responsible for 60-plus hour RPGs understand how to sustain a lengthy campaign, and the idea that Smash Bros. will benefit from that experience is reassuring."

Yes but that is not from the actual development team though.

Sakurai himself said on an interview Smash 4's single player would be simpler than SSE.

What he said is that SSE was all about the videos and that once the game was out there people uploaded the videos on the internet so there wasn't any incentive to actually unlocking them yourself (since you already had seen them). Because of this, he stated that he would just make a simpler story mode and give us all cut scenes in a simple manner.

What this means is up for interpretation, most people seem to believe it means they will go back to Melee adventure or something similar to that. What I believe though is that by saying it is becoming simpler, he means he will just make it short but not repetitive so that you can do it again and again without getting bored, so I am actually not expecting a story mode, I believe it might just be something new (neither adventure or SSE story mode, instead something completely new).

BTW, I edited my previous post, you should check out my reasons.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
True, and I also edited mine XD

I think Pac-Man has the highest chance but if not him IT WILL BE one of those 2 Tales characters. And yes I have played more than just Tales of Symphonia...I've almost played them all. XD

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nacmo... I don't think there's a company by that name.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
*Face palm*

Wow...how...did I typo that... sorry fixing now.

*EDIT* errr I thought you were able to edit the title of threads? Or am I just missing it?

I am unsure how to actually change the name of the thread but I believe there is a way.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I'm assuming Strong Bad knows some that could fix the name for me. If its not too much trouble for him to contact one of them.

So other than that, more discussion. IF NOT PACMAN. Who would you rather see? Lloyd or Luke? Or maybe you have another Tales character that would be in over those 2?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'm assuming Strong Bad knows some that could fix the name for me. If its not too much trouble for him to contact one of them.

So other than that, more discussion. IF NOT PACMAN. Who would you rather see? Lloyd or Luke? Or maybe you have another Tales character that would be in over those 2?

I would go with Lloyd. As you stated he originated in Nintendo and he is basically the dominant figure in Tales as far as popularity goes. He is also known to people who have not played Tales and would fit very well in the Smash world.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I would go with Lloyd. As you stated he originated in Nintendo and he is basically the dominant figure in Tales as far as popularity goes. He is also known to people who have not played Tales and would fit very well in the Smash world.

Yea, my thoughts exactly. The only thing I just wonder if Nintendo would put in Luke over him because of the companys that the remakes were for.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Go to the bottom of the fist post and click edit and then there should be a button to edit more. and then you will be able to edit the name,As far as who could get in from Namco..I say Pac-Man.:colorful:

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Go to the bottom of the fist post and click edit and then there should be a button to edit more. and then you will be able to edit the name,As far as who could get in from Namco..I say Pac-Man.:colorful:

I...coulda sworn I did that... what is wrong with me? @_@

And as for your choice. All I saw was your avi and sig and knew you'd choose Pac-Man. Don't get me wrong. Pac-Man is great! I love him. But I'd rather see a Tales character even more.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If Namco gets a rep, it's going to be Pac-Man. However, I'd much rather have Lloyd. <3

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
There's no way Luke Fon Fabre would get in before a Tekken character like Jin. But yeah... Pac-Man obviously.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

Did everyone forgot he got a specific redesign for the Wii remake of his first game?

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni

Did everyone forgot he got a specific redesign for the Wii remake of his first game?

I must say, as much as I know it would never happen, I would LOVE Klonoa in Smash Bros. He's just so darn awesome, and WAY cooler than Pacman. And heck, if he were in, Pacman would be in too! Get it!?

Xaltis

Smash Hero
There's no way Luke Fon Fabre would get in before a Tekken character like Jin. But yeah... Pac-Man obviously.

Heihachi was in Allstars and will probably be in the second Allstars game. So no Tekken people will be able to be in Smash just like Metal Gear people due to Raiden.

Also I remembered Klanoa BUT he's not as popular as the Tales characters.

Hong

The Strongest
Valkyrie from Valkyrie no Densetsu!

Alack, she is a bit obscure, so I doubt it. At the very least, she is a retro character who would transist so much better to Smash Bros than... Pacman.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
My personal bias leans towards Kloanoa, just out of pure awesomeness. Intuition tells me Pac-Man is most likely. My crazy and somewhat obsessive friends make me think a Tales character would go over well with the majority of fans. Then common sense tells me "Fox is the Namco rep."

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Each of these characters are mostly boring. They either fit an archetype (like a glove) that only has niche appeal or just don't have any imaginative or innovative combat value. Just because they appear awesome to you does not mean they bring anything new to Smash Bros. compared to any other character that could be chosen in their place. The most likely character among these to appear is Pac-Man, for several reasons. Sakurai stated he wanted to bring back older characters, and they are working alongside Namco-Bandai, and the character polls, and so forth. That doesn't mean I don't have severe doubts about it, since Sakurai keeps Smash Bros. development close to heart and he spoke very candidly about Pac-Man with a journalist.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...ters-receive-no-priority-for-super-smash-bros

At the same time I also doubt a Tekken character since a character port with a move-set adapted to Smash Bros. would probably take away from the uniqueness of the game in the developers' eyes.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
or just don't have any imaginative or innovative combat value.

One would think that this argument wouldn't be used anymore after the likes of WFT, G&W, C. Falcon, Fox, R.O.B., Villager, etc. have been in Smash.

If they can squeeze a character like Snake into the Smash Universe, I have every bit of confidence that they could do the same to any of the characters mentioned in this thread. It's just a matter of determination.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
One would think that this argument wouldn't be used anymore after the likes of WFT, G&W, C. Falcon, Fox, R.O.B., Villager, etc. have been in Smash.
Each of the characters you mentioned have their own playstyle (and personality) that they brought to the game, and was demonstrated to be viable and interesting during development. The fact that the characters you mentioned didn't have a clear or even remotely apparent playstyle before being introduced is very telling. The developers felt the characters would fill a particular kind of role with which they would ultimately have a perfect, if not surprising, marriage.

These characters mentioned in the original post already have a well-defined place in their own game that already gives us a significant idea of how they would be played. Two are just another sword slinger. To significantly change those characters would be to venture into "might as well be a different character" territory. The other two carry a lot more potential, especially Klonoa, since his is also much more apparent. They could pull a Captain Falcon with Pac-Man, but I think that he is very probably just too dry for that to happen.

As I said, I think Pac-Man is the most likely. But I don't think it will be very interesting, and will probably feel very forced. Klonoa would be the most /interesting/ but not interesting enough.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Pac-Man is to likely but I just can't see how he would work move set wise. When Pac-Man was added in Street Fighter X Tekken, the only way they could make it work was he had to battle using a machine, and if they try the same thing for Smash then their just giving Porky the middle finger. The only thing I could see working is where Pac-Man eats the Smash Ball.

Klonoa and Lloyd are more easier to work with.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Shoot me dead for saying this, but I would adore having Yoshimitsu in the game. He represents not one but two of Namco's fighting game franchises and he's a great character.

That's not to detract from characters like Lloyd, though.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Pac-Man is to likely but I just can't see how he would work move set wise. When Pac-Man was added in Street Fighter X Tekken, the only way they could make it work was he had to battle using a machine, and if they try the same thing for Smash then their just giving Porky the middle finger. The only thing I could see working is where Pac-Man eats the Smash Ball.
Can we not compare the devs at Capcom to the devs who can't even respect their own gaming icon to a team of devs (if not just Sakurai himself) that has taken a bunch of various gaming icons including ones that never fight in their games and give them amazing movesets that make each of them unique?

Capcom simply doesn't have the creativity of Sakurai and his team and they've proved that with just about every latest installment in each of their hit franchises.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Just two things to post:

First, Tekken director Katsuhiro Harada said back in July 2012 that he doesn't believe that Tekken is something the playerbase of Smash players wouldn't want so he's pretty iffy on a Tekken character. (I'm especially not believing we're getting a Tekken character due to Tekken appearing in PlayStation All-Stars). He also say Sakurai is handling the design of Sm4sh, not Namco-Bandai.

Second, Sakurai says just because Namco-Bandai Games is developing Sm4sh, it doesn't mean they get any special treatment on a Namco-Bandai character being in the game. This makes it sound like there could be a chance that we might not get a Namco-Bandai character at all.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Can we not compare the devs at Capcom to the devs who can't even respect their own gaming icon to a team of devs (if not just Sakurai himself) that has taken a bunch of various gaming icons including ones that never fight in their games and give them amazing movesets that make each of them unique?

Capcom simply doesn't have the creativity of Sakurai and his team and they've proved that with just about every latest installment in each of their hit franchises.
I know that. I just made an excuse because I don't want him in.

I'm sorry if I sound wrong but if you played Pac-Man 2 The New Adventures then you will understand why I did.

I just don't like his character.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I know that. I just made an excuse because I don't want him in.

I'm sorry if I sound wrong but if you played Pac-Man 2 The New Adventures then you will understand why I did.

I just don't like his character.
I played that game. And it was one of the funniest games lol. XD

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
If G&W, R.O.B., WFT, Villager, or even Captain Falcon can be given movesets, I'm confident that they could work something out for Pacman.
Just the thought of Mario, Megaman, Link, and Pacman fighting gets me all aflutter.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
Double Post. Whoopsies. In order to make this relevant: That's exactly what I thought he was Curmudgeon.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
If G&W, R.O.B., WFT, Villager, or even Captain Falcon can be given movesets, I'm confident that they could work something out for Pacman.
Just the thought of Mario, Megaman, Link, and Pacman fighting gets me all aflutter.

Of course. I remember Pac-Man being in another fighting game. Forgot the name of it but that's why I think they could give him a move set in Smash 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom