• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N64 Controllers discussion

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
If we could get them as cheap as $5 each I'd probably buy about 10 of them myself.

I want a better alternative than the "GameCube-like" third-party sticks that come from Taiwan as they're terrible for SSB.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Guys, I might be able to make this 3D printed N64 stick thing a reality. I just need some help. So I have a friend from college who works in a lab that works with 3D printing. He said their printers have a resolution of 0.1 microns which should be sufficient for something like this. In order to 3D print an n64 stick, one of two things has to be done:

1. Scan each component with a 3D scanner.
2. Use modeling software such as SolidWorks, Maya, 3dsmax, etc. to precisely draw each component.

Once a digital model is available, you can simply send it to the 3D printer and create as many copies as you want.

My friend said that he could 3D print some sticks for us, but we need a model in order for that to happen. He thinks that 3D scanners are an extremely rare and emerging technology so that's probably not feasible for any of us. That leaves modeling it ourselves. Does anyone here have experience with 3D modeling?

edit: take a look at this http://www.nagleindustries.com/

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
I'd gladly be an investor for whoever is willing to do the legwork, given they can produce a product of the highest quality. unfortunately I don't have the luxury of time.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
The only way to make a perfect reproduction is probably by scanning the original parts. I'd be willing to chip in some seed money if there's a way to make that a reality.

Here's another one of my controllers with the "GameCube-like" third-party stick installed. It's an Atomic Purple top on a black bottom and while it looks absolutely gorgeous is sucks for playing SSB. How I'd love to put a quality OEM style stick in it instead!

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I've done a bit of modeling but I don't think I have enough experience for something like this. Could always learn on the fly I suppose, but I don't even have access to the right programs.

First things first, we would need all of the stick dimensions and characteristics measured accurately. Once those are known, creating the digital model becomes trivial. However, measuring is probably the most difficult task. For small stuff like the ridges on top of the stick, it seems very difficult. The error we incur through measurement will likely be far greater than the error we will get from the 3D printers, and yea 1 micron is negligible for this purpose.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Blender is free and Open Source I think. I used to try to learn it, but I haven't gotten past the simple table+2 chairs level. Mostly because I had no goal, so maybe I could give this a try? If anyone more experienced wants to, that'd be better though. Also I guess one should be taking pictures on various angles as blueprints, but will it be precise enough?

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
The fab lab in champaign has a makeshift 3D scanner (it's a kinect lol). I might try to use it next time I'm down there. Ya'll should check your local fab labs too, mayber one of them has a real 3D scanner.

Also, the free use 3D printers at most fab labs would be great for prototyping.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
do you think it would be possible to get that measurement info from Nintendo? its a long shot but who knows, its not like they still make controllers or we wouldnt be having this problem

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i have a pdf or something like that from nintendo
ill look for it

i think its the patent ROFL

EDIT: haha @ grizz constantly posting pics of lame sticks/controllers

are you even technical in any 64 game?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
We really should figure out a way to reproduce 1st party quality sticks. It's 2013 we can do this.

Mr. Happy :)

Smash Cadet
2013-06-06 06.23.26.jpg

Apologies for the darkness- here is a original controller with original thumbstick next to the reproduction I mentioned earlier. Can't hardly tell the difference visually other than it's a little blue. Works as far as my hands can tell, just as precisely as the original and was more durable.

Since it's stirring up conversation, if someone actually goes through with scanning a thumbstick, I would be willing to send off my literally perfect controller to whomever is doing it. As long as they give it back :) Lol

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Since it's stirring up conversation, if someone actually goes through with scanning a thumbstick, I would be willing to send off my literally perfect controller to whomever is doing it. As long as they give it back :) Lol
I came on to offer the same thing...it would have to be someone well known in the community that wouldn't end up stealing it and has enough respect in the community for me to trust. Still in the box/packaging, original n64 controller in the best condition you can find. Well worth the money I spent, but oh so expensive. I bought 1 from the same seller before, and it's my current controller still going very strong after 2 months of daily (up to five 6+ hour sessions a week on console and even more time spent online) play.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Spent the night digging through six retro gaming and second hand thrift stores looking for good N64 controllers. I found exactly one first party controller, and its stick was looser than my hold on the Samus matchup. These sources for N64 controllers really are drying up.

Definitely excited at the idea of manufacturing new, first party quality sticks.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Does anyone live near any plastic factories? Take one of your sticks there and see if they'd be up for the task. And how much it'd cost.

Worked for Mr. Happy.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
I got a near perfect controller off of ebay and had a local plastic company reproduce me 30 thumbsticks. It was about $75 for the whole process, it would have been much less in bulk I assume
Did they only do the joysticks? Or did they do the whole joystick unit like new bowl/those 2 black plastic pieces(not sure what to call them)? Mainly, would they be able to reproduce the parts of the joystick unit that wears down quickly as well as the joystick?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
@ 1 micron it ****ing better
i'm more worried about the type of plastic that they use. i know some third party sticks use a different type of plastic than the original sticks and they seem to wear down much faster because its less durable.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I don't think it's actually the plastic wearing down that's the problem in the 3rd party OEM replacments. Because there's no visible signs of wear at all on my 3rd party stick since I religiously greased it. The bowl, joystick, and axis pieces all look perfect.

IMO I think it's the combination of smaller and lighter axis pieces + the spring which are the problem. Since the the axis pieces are smaller and lighter it takes less resistance to move the stick than a 1st party. Plus I think the spring is probably weaker. Since there's no visible signs of wear that's the only conclusion I can come up with.

Smash Cadet
would the quality of the 3d printer plastic-stuff do the job?

There are a lot of different kinds of plastics, similarly there are a lot of plastics better than the type original thumbsticks are made of. To my relatively limited knowledge, most 3D printers can at least use ABS if not more kinds, and ABS is a very durable plastic that is highly heat and wear resistant.

Did they only do the joysticks? Or did they do the whole joystick unit like new bowl/those 2 black plastic pieces(not sure what to call them)? Mainly, would they be able to reproduce the parts of the joystick unit that wears down quickly as well as the joystick?
I only had the sticks done because my bowls/axis's were in great shape. But there is no reason the other pieces couldn't be made too. In my experience the axis's and the bowl can take more abuse than the stick out of the box... I still haven't replaced any of those, just sticks.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I
There are a lot of different kinds of plastics, similarly there are a lot of plastics better than the type original thumbsticks are made of. To my relatively limited knowledge, most 3D printers can at least use ABS if not more kinds, and ABS is a very durable plastic that is highly heat and wear resistant.

I only had the sticks done because my bowls/axis's were in great shape. But there is no reason the other pieces couldn't be made too. In my experience the axis's and the bowl can take more abuse than the stick out of the box... I still haven't replaced any of those, just sticks.
I find that the bowl wears down first.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
the full stick housing sans spring or board, i think would be optimal. but its a bit greedy??

realistically, first things first.
1. BOWL and STICK
2. HINGES/elbows
3. photodiode wheel
4. BOTTOM housing (those 2 retention clips at the top have broken many times for other people i'm sure, as well as the z button retention hooks [STRANDED])
5. upper housing (DARK GREY and partially visible when controller is closed)

this is my personal list in order from most important to least importnant regarding which parts to be manufactured first

Smash Cadet
I think if you packaged the bowl, axis, and stick itself together the rest would be fine to recycle?

Do people get problems with their springs or the little plastic ring that sits on it?

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i have done work for a spring company and can have springs made, that's no problem

if we can somehow reuse the plastic, mite b cool

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Grizz can't seem to comprehend that this isn't a n64 collecters website, and that we really don't care about constantly seeing pics of his collection.

Hate to be mean, but it seems like the only reason he posts on here is to have an opportunity to show off his collection. This is not the place to do that.

On topic, yah I'm pretty sure the bowl is the weakest point of the stick.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I've posted a wealth of pertinent information about the N64 controller and the various analog stick options for it in this thread. However, I never lose sight of the fact that the N64 controller is merely a tool to be used for enjoying games that many of us are interested in.

Super Smash Bros. is AWESOME and I love playing it but I also play a plethora of other games on the N64 too. Excuse me for being a joyful enthusiast who wants to share my passion with others.

Back on topic: It's sincerely troubling that only Asian countries are bothering to manufacture analog stick replacements. Shouldn't we tangibly demonstrate Western ingenuity by producing the perfect thumbstick replacement?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Grizz can't seem to comprehend that this isn't a n64 collecters website, and that we really don't care about constantly seeing pics of his collection.

Hate to be mean, but it seems like the only reason he posts on here is to have an opportunity to show off his collection. This is not the place to do that.

On topic, yah I'm pretty sure the bowl is the weakest point of the stick.
Grizz is passionate about everything n64 rather than ssb64. he's probably not into competitive play but he is still very knowledgeable about n64 controllers so i don't mind him being on here and i enjoy seeing his collection

Top Bottom