• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Little Pony General

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
That's saddening, Espy :( Sorry to hear that.

Guys at my school are pretty skeptical about my pony craze at first, but after that, they don't mind it because I don't flash it around like a trophy or try to force it on them. My friends laugh about some of the stuff, like my backgrounds and MLP MP3s, but I understand where they're coming from with said laughter, so I laugh too.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Also, I've been called a homosexual for liking ponies by my own family. Nothing anyone else can say could be worse.
lol. :applejack:
Things like this are the reason I'm glad I don't live in Texas anymore.

NC can still be really dumb, but at least the area I'm in is mostly college students and IT professionals, so they don't really give a **** what people watch.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I always thought it was hilarious, considering that I'm PRETTY sure they know that I'm a furry (even if they don't know the term itself), since my desktops and whatnots are ALWAYS kinda like that, but now that I have litters of Applejack desktops, Applejack toys, and a hat, suddenly NOW I'm weird.

@phoot: Don't you dare imply what you just implied ever again.
@john: Zajespy is canon.
:applejack:

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've had people call me gay before on the evidence that I like Friends.

Good afternoon everypony! And for anyone that questions why the show is good, in simple terms,

It's extremely well animated: Flash has always been infamous for it's less-than-stellar use in modern animation, and when I first watched it, I expected more of the same cut-and-paste, flat, boring animation. What I got instead was quite astounding. Lush, detailed, original artwork, every episode (heck, every frame) getting the attention it deserves. In one episode, the animators were to create a scene where a massive explosion of light is created by a pony far in the distance. Rather than taking the ordinary route of cutting corners and simply showing the distant explosion, the animators drew in, for a single frame, the image of the pony as they were flying at incredible speeds. It was unnecessary, quick and nearly unnoticeable, but all the little touches like that (there are many of them) help raise the show to a new level of quality not often seen in animation, let alone a show made for children.
The writing is incredible: As a writer all my life, I could never stand a bad script. Childrens shows never hooked me partially because their writing was formulaic, lazy and repetitious. It spoke down to the audience (Dora, anyone?) and the jokes, if present at all, were silly and meaningless. Every episode, every week, followed a strict formula and shoved messages down your throat. Certain cartoons have stood the test of time partially because of their writing, including gems like Dexter's Lab, which many adults enjoyed as much as their kids. FIM is one of these gems (no pun intended). The writers obviously care about the quality of the show, and the dialogue is natural, interesting, and speaks on even terms with the audience: They don't treat the audience like idiots, but rather, equals. The humor is quite hilarious, and there are jokes for everyone: The slapstick laughs of The Three Stooges, the quick-wit dialogue of Dexter's Lab and Spongebob Squarepants (without ever descending into rudeness or, God Forbid, toilet humor) and the deeply layered jokes not often seen outside of adult comedy, the kind that you only notice the second time, and chuckle at while your children innocently stare. ("The punch has been...spiked!") A large part of the appeal of the show is it's feel-good nature, which is rarely seen in today's cynical society. The messages behind every episode are relevant to everyone (sometimes I feel adults need them more than the intended audience), and are never shoved down your throat. The messages are derived from the plot, not the other way around. You don't see light messages like "Sharing is Caring" and "Never tell a fib!" but rather, deeper ones such as "Never lose faith in your friends. They can be an amazing source of strength, and can help you overcome even your greatest fears." Now THAT'S a message.
The voice acting...impeccable: In the animation field (at least in children's television) you don't often see really incredible voice actors. Many are rather cookie cutter: You couldn't pick the voice out of a crowd, and even if the lead character has a wonderful voice actor or actress, the supporting characters all sound the same and show no real emotion. In Friendship is Magic, every cast member gives their all to every performance. With a cast consisting of the incredible, talented Tara Strong, the wonderful Ashleigh Ball (who is one of the greatest singers I've ever seen in the animation field, ever), the underappreciated Andrea Eva Libman (who plays both the loudest and softest-spoken characters on the show, equally brilliantly) and the famed Tabitha St. Germain, you simply can't go wrong. The voices are all perfectly fit for the characters, and never once do you question the reality and sincerity of the voices you hear from the screen.
The characters are hilarious and multilayered: As I've said before, television is quite repetitive. Nearly all child-oriented animation is bland, particularly in this category. The characters only serve to move the "plot" forward, possessing whatever flaw needs to be utelized to present the lesson-of-the-day. In FIM, the cast is diverse, interesting, relatable and each member has a distinct, consistant personality. From the introverted but incredibly intellegent and loyal Twilight Sparkle, to the hardworking, family-oriented and honest Applejack; from the excitable party pony with a good heart and inner demons, Pinkie Pie, to the quiet, shy, kind and inwardly courageous Fluttershy; from the outward diva with a great taste in fashion and incredible inner strength and deepness, Rarity, to the overly confident, athletic, strong willed Pegasus with hidden insecurities, Rainbow Dash. The fact that, in that long summary, I only scratched the surface of the characters and their traits goes to show that the characters were created with care, not to deliver a cookie-cutter message but to make the viewer think, laugh and enjoy every episode.
The music is really, really catchy: As a brother to two very young children and a musician, I can tell you that the music on their favorite children shows drives me utterly insane. It's repetitious, obnoxious, loud and is, quite frankly, an insult to the art of music and the rules thereof. My Little Pony's music, created by Daniel Ingram, is always an utter pleasure to listen to. It's catchy, well written, and draws influence from greats like Sondheim. Even though it's been months since I first heard "Winter Wrap Up" I frequently find myself whistling the tune aloud, much to the chagrine of my parents. Best of all, it doesn't end with the show: If you go online, you'll find endless remixes and songs inspired by FiM. Many are some of the highest quality tunes I've ever heard on the Internet. Which brings me to my last point...
The Community is wonderful: As has been mentioned by others, the community is amazing. While there are some who are a bit more obsessed with the ponies than I think healthy, the overall fanbase is kind, fun, thoughtful, clever and talented. I've always hated Fanfictions, but even I have picked up and enjoyed a few in this fanbase. As mentioned, the music is phenomenal, and the art is also exceptional. Many of the pieces have inspired me to improve my own work. After a hard day of cynicism and cold attitudes, it's refreshing to come online and chill with everyone in the FiM community. I mean, you can't go wrong with a slogan like "Love and Tolerance", can you?
To sum it all up: My Little Pony; Friendship is Magic is mercifilly completely unlike it's predecessors in all but name. It is innocent, interesting, well written, an island in an ocean of crappy shows and low standards and, best of all, extremely entertaining. Don't let the surface stuff fool you: You can never judge a book by it's cover; particularly when it's a show, particularly when it's a show created by the incredible Lauren Faust, and most particularly of all, when it's a show created by the incredible Lauren Faust about f***ing ponies! Well, thus ends my rant. Thanks for listening in. Love and Tolerance, everyone!
TL;DR: Friendship is Magic=Awesomesauce
A sentence through this, and I already feel like banging my head against the wall.

Let's get something straight (for like the tenth time):

THIS SHOW'S ANIMATION ISN'T THAT GREAT.​

One person said how good the animation is for a flash project and suddenly all of the crazy fanboys jumped on the bandwagon saying it has the best animation EVUUUURRRZZZZZZ(ZZZZZZZZZZ). Most of the fanbase doesn't even know how to judge the quality of the animation, or what to look out for when trying to grade it. Most people's reaction when they see the show is probably something like, "Hey, each frame flows relatively naturally and it doesn't make me want to gauge my eyes out. Works for me!!"

I would go through in detail everything wrong with the animation but that would be similar to trying to teach my cat how to play Marco Polo. Except I would rather do that.

In short, there are a lot of animation errors, shortcuts are present in the majority of frames (which you can very easily point out in most of the gifs). You'd think the first obvious problem is that you can outright tell it was done in flash. Which is obviously terrible since I have (and i'm sure a lot of you have too) seen amateur animations on the internet that the origins look questionable.

Was planning on writing more but i'm bored now, and i'm sure most of you will just completely ignore this post and go about your normal ignorant day believing everything you hear on the internet and then spreading it around like it's the word of god.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
true to that spelt, but you have to admit the the attention to it is pretty good, its rare that you get a cartoon that has dynamics going on in the background, or doesnt juse use the same image for every single background shot (for example, the crowd shot in the original beyblade series, always the same image)
there are a fair amount of errors, but hey what cartoon doesnt?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes but those things should be second nature.
It's like congratulating someone for signaling when they're about to turn. :dizzy:

Ryo242

Smash Ace
I apologise if I'm the only brony here that can speak Spanish. -_-
No hablo espanol. Yo no se poner accentos.

Mi francais es tres mal, parce-que je n'ai practica pas.

Blblblblbl. I like how Spelt's cat knows how to play Marco Polo. :3 That's a talented cat.

Did anyone have any awesome suggestions for this NASA/Rainbow Dash mixture thing I'm planning on working on?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Spelt with those killer W.o.Ts I always look forward to seeing. Nice read.

@GL: It's "buenas noches." Also people don't tend to reply to everything. If they did, forums would be a cluttered heap of posts, 23% of which being disregarded.

Owait...

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Yes but those things should be second nature.
It's like congratulating someone for signaling when they're about to turn. :dizzy:
i suppose, but all the small details (the lyra-style sit, for example) in the background just make it that much better, the most recent episode is a great example, like discord's glass filling down, or applelie un-eating an apple. very minute things but it just adds to it

animation is also pretty smooth. theres a serious lack of jerkiness in there which is what most people would associate good animation with

and for the record its exactly like congratulating someone for signalling, because it seems like half the world doesnt do it. i was having a driving lesson today and the world seems to think that theyre exempt from signalling

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
>opinions
This is all subjective really. I personally think it's some pretty damn good animation. Especially when nearly everything else pumped out these days DOES make me want to gouge my eyes out.

Shortcuts are to be expected, and they're often not that big of a deal when they do happen. The audio shortcuts are what irritate me most. There's no need to re-use the same voice clip for something. Is it that hard to get the voice actor to gasp differently for one second?

And flash doesn't auto = bad. It's great if done right. It's just that most people don't do it right.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
>this post is all opinions

>here have my opinions

>i agree with one of the factual points you brought up

>another opinion that has nothing to do with what i said

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
GP is so right in his last paragraph.
The lack of signaling...you can say it drives me insane.

Also, I'm kinda dab in the middle of it. The animation is fantastic for what it is (flash), but it's not the messiah of animated cartoons. However, using animation errors as an indicator of bad animation is kinda silly, since every show comes across its fair share of that. Now, if you say that MLP makes more errors than other shows, then you'd be onto something, maybe.

Also, it IS smooth and pretty to look at, especially in high definition. Has a nice flow to it.

One more thing though, Spelt. I think you have enough hipster in you to support an old folk's home. :applejack:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wasn't trying to say your opinions are wrong.

I was just saying they were opinions and mine are different.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
GAlso, I'm kinda dab in the middle of it. The animation is fantastic for what it is (flash), but it's not the messiah of animated cartoons. However, using animation errors as an indicator of bad animation is kinda silly, since every show comes across its fair share of that. Now, if you say that MLP makes more errors than other shows, then you'd be onto something, maybe.

Also, it IS smooth and pretty to look at, especially in high definition. Has a nice flow to it.
It is good for being made in flash. But why should it get extra credit for that?
"Oh, this show is using the all of the tools they have at there disposal to the appropriate measure."
Any teacher would only consider that to be meeting the standards.

You can't say that they pay a lot of attention to detail when there's as many animation errors as there is in this show.

Animation errors contribute to how well the show is animated. For a second there, I thought that's what I was talking about. :054:
My mistake.

I wasn't trying to say your opinions are wrong.

I was just saying they were opinions and mine are different.
Giving examples of why the animation isn't that great aren't opinions, though.
I can legitimately prove the abundance of shortcuts and animation errors, among other things I didn't even mention.
The other stuff, yes.

Also, you guys act like i'm calling the animation bad.
Which is by far the message i'm trying to get across.
Just saying it's not nearly as good as some make it out to be.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Makes me wonder what time constraints they have to work with.

Also if that even has a part in the 2 week separation between the premieres and the main course.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It should get credit because it uses the tools it's given, and uses them WELL. So well that you're singling animation error out as the only indicator of the show's animation quality (as of this moment). Instead of using excuses like "being bored" to point out the flaws in the animation in its entirety, I implore you to go into more intricate detail about it, because if animation errors are the only indicator of above average animation, then Tiny Toons is one of the most poorly animated cartoons on the planet, right next to Transformers, TMNT, and REN AND STIMPY. Despite that, most of those shows are praised for their animation prowess (during their time. I doubt anyone can go back and say anything from the 80s looks good now).

Also, you may not be actively saying that it's terrible, and I'm pretty most of the people responding to you at the moment aren't under that impression (I'm sure not), but your diction sure as hell asserts/implicates that it's exactly what you mean. I mean, just read the last section of the beginning of your claim again. You're practically insulting people in here. lol

Discuss all you want, just leave the mudslinging out of it.

:applejack:

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
It should get credit because it uses the tools it's given, and uses them WELL. So well that you're singling it out as the only indicator as of this moment.
Duh.
As opposed to using them poorly?
Yeah, good job at not sucking, mlp staff.

Also Spelt, if animation errors are an indicator of above average animation, then Tiny Toons is one of the most poorly animated cartoons on the planet, right next to Transformers, TMNT, and REN AND STIMPY. :applejack:
Stop hanging onto this one point and trying to twist it as much as possible.
When was the last time that actually worked?

BSP

Smash Legend
Someone asked me who's my favorite pony today and I still can't narrow it down. I just like them all too much to pick 1

Heck, I can't even pick a top 3.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
1. Fluttershy
2. Twilight Sparkle
3. Pinkie Pie
4. Rainbow Dash
5. Applejack
6. Rarity

And if you look at my list for the Pony Tier List, you'll see Rarity is just barely not top 10 of all 40+ choices, so basically they're all very close, Rarity being last does NOT mean I dont like her, she's amazing, I just like the other mane 6 EVEN MORE.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
Considering that the show is intended for little girls, they don't have to necessarily go all out.
It's perfect for what it has to do, considering its fellow HUB shows, just uses a different medium than say, Strawberry Shortcake that shows before FiM.

=

Also, our tier lists are in the Pony Back Room discussion group.

Really, BSP? Not one pony that you're attuned with?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just saw the edits to that post.

I mean, just read the last section of the beginning of your claim again. You're practically insulting people in here. lol
Because when have I ever done that before?

My tone is in no way indicative of the quality of animation.
I don't even see why it would be, but whatever.

How does "You are dumb" turn into "wow this animation makes me want to aggressively murder a family of mice."

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Just saw the edits to that post.

Because when have I ever done that before?

My tone is in no way indicative of the quality of animation.
I don't even see why it would be, but whatever.
this post is absolutely hilarious because i imagine it being said by meta knight in hipster glasses with a snooty accent

as for favourite pony...i dont have any set favourite i dont think, i certainly like fluttershy more than the rest of the mane 6, but i like background ponies a lot too, lyra is jsut awesome. plus according to the thread pairing thing we did earlier, shes mine-ALL MINE!

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Flutter*****. Definitely Flutter*****. Rainbow Ditch and Period Pie are still my two favored names.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
I'd prefer Flutterbrute considering "the brute" is what Twilight canonically referred to her.

Well based on each of her description, these are my preferences
Appleliar, Grumpy Pie, Hoardity, and Flutterbrute
Edit: Liarjack?

Considering Dash was never gave one, I'll settle for the community favorite of Rainbow Ditch.

As for Twilight. . . she's just friendless :<
Edit based on Zant's "Solitude":
Twilight Solo

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
No one cares, Zajice.
And every form of Applejack's name during her loss of honesty has been terrible. :applejack:

@Spelt: I'm hanging onto that point because it's the only one you've discussed (and are continuing to discuss) during your dodges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom