• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Little Pony General

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
You must be too young to know good television if Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi was something you miss.
There's more to life than sprinkles and garnish. That show was bad. I miss the show, not by positive merit.

Applejack looks good from certain standpoints. Like, wow.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Not gonna lie.
That was pretty awful.

OH GOD. THAT SHOW. I miss it ;___;
You must be too young to know good television if Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi was something you miss.
There's more to life than sprinkles and garnish. That show was bad. I miss the show, not by positive merit.
Puffy Ami Yumi was pretty bad, but it was entertaining to the eyes, at the very least. Kinda like Adventure Time or whatever. Except AT is like if the animators from Doug were lazy and drunk.
...which is probably why it's better, in retrospect.

Applejack looks good from certain standpoints. Like, wow.
What?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Puffy Ami Yumi wasn't great, but it was better than a lot of **** that was worse, like Ed, Edd and Eddy.

Reizilla

Everything in the show was dumb and not funny.

It also paved the way for more, even ****tier cartoons that we see today.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
But that show was hilarious for me in elementary school. Hm.

I read the word ****tier as **** tier.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Ed, Edd, and Eddy did establish a foundation that a ton of shows ended up emulating further down the line. You can blame them for that style becoming so overcentralized, at least.

But I don't think the show was BAD. It wasn't FUNNY, but it wasn't BAD.
And cartoons aren't MEANT to be FUNNY all the time. Look at Doug. It was successful. WHY?

Ren and Stimpy and Daria were both really good.
Angry Beavers and Celebrity Deathmatch were my favorite Nicktoon and MTV "toon" Shows.

Beavis and Butthead was great too. Do America is still amazing.

Favorite cartoon growing up HAD to be Sonic SatAM though.
Such a good show. And, Rei, it had almost NO humor that wasn't cynical in some way.

If cartoons have to be funny to be good, then Gargoyles and Batman were not good cartoons.
Incidentally, saying that either of those shows were bad will result in a one way ticket to the moon.

Zajice, you clearly meant "of older cartoons".
When I first read your post, for a split second I assumed you meant the previous pony generations.

Reizilla

See, but those shows had a different purpose. Action cartoons and ****. Not everything has to be funny all the time, I agree. And that's partially where EEnE failed. Everything was just a bad joke and trying to make stupidity funny.

And I have plenty of protein :glare: Get off my alfalfa.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Was Ed, Edd, and Eddy marketed as a "comedy" cartoon?
I don't think so. I personally feel it was more of a "slice of life" cartoon.

The setting, the plot, the characters. It all felt casual. The only thing that was blown out of proportion were the Ed's creativity.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i just liked things on tv
i think the most recent cartoon i ever enjoyed (not including mlp) was kids next door. but thats cause it could funny and srs very very well
i think lauren faust was on the team for that one too. guess shes good at getting it to the older people

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
KND was so awesome. I loved how serious it could get while still having a ridiculous premise.
The movie was absolutely fantastic, and Nigel's voice was always fun to listen to for some reason. Easily my favorite Cartoon Network production during its later years. Right behind Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.

And then that crossover of Grim Adventures and KND? I flipped. Wasn't amazing, but it was still fun to watch.

Courage is my favorite CN cartoon though.

Rei just hates it (EE&E) because he's vegan, and Ed eats everything he stands for.
Sounds like a metric ton of jelly.

I like decent artwork when watching animation, so the quick sketch type cartoons were always a sore to my eyes and the stupidity of many of the shows in combination drove me nuts. Suffice to say, not many cartoon network shows caught my attention.

Reizilla

Billy and Mandy is at the lowest end of my tolerance. Depended on the episode, mostly.

At least you're able to pick out the best, Espy.

Fluttershy - Kirby
Rainbow Dash - Captain Falcon
Twilight Sparkle - Ness
Pinkie Pie - Samus
Rarity - Luigi
Applejack - Yoshi

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The Little Shop of Horrors Parody was great on B&M.
@Eryth: That's the problem with a ton of shows on CN now. They all use that "lazy" style, and combine it with toilet humor to the point that the entire thing feels like a cesspool of witless animation.

Flapjack, Adventure Time, and Regular Show are all offenders.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Tom and Jerry is amazing.
Wouldn't call it the greatest thing in the world though.

Because "Sex with Zajice" exists, and I'm not sure what can top that, if anything.
This DID help me in figuring out what you value more though, Leaf. It appears that you prefer T&J to Zajice.

Heheh.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
The Little Shop of Horrors Parody was great on B&M.
@Eryth: That's the problem with a ton of shows on CN now. They all use that "lazy" style, and combine it with toilet humor to the point that the entire thing feels like a cesspool of witless animation.

Flapjack, Adventure Time, and Regular Show are all offenders.
I ... don't even think you've watched these shows enough to judge the quality of the animation.
Adventure time actually has an unusually good quality of animation for a CN cartoon, which is almost piss poor honestly, even compared to most shows from the "good old days".
cow and chicken, ed edd and eddy, tom and jerry, looney tunes etc were pretty badly animated, even for the day's technology.
Just because adventure time has a very simple and almost caricature like art style doesn't mean the style is lazy/bad.
There's also some fairly high level humor in both flapjack and adventure time, stuff you have to think about, stuff only certain age groups will get, etc.
The goal of cartoon network was ALWAYS to have slapstick comedy that kids will enjoy with an even mix of humor that older people will enjoy so they don't go braindead watching the series with their kids.

Regular show, however, does not accomplish that the majority of time and would be adult swim material if they just made the characters a little bit raunchier.

And again, MLP animation quality isn't that great.
Like, mediocre at best.
Just because it's made in flash doesn't give it brownie points, unless it's being judged in the Animated-With-Flash Animated Series category.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Everything in the show was dumb and not funny.

It also paved the way for more, even ****tier cartoons that we see today.
It was good in it's own way, I liked the random sound effects they'd make at certain times... Even the image on TV just being fish and indicating random shows/horror movies Ed watched made me laugh everytime.

the Eds were good, you guys clearly are crazy.

>.>
This this this!

KND was too good. but i dont remember if Lauren was involved with that show....

edit: she wasn'nt
I hated it mostly cause of the ridiculous contraptions...

Was Ed, Edd, and Eddy marketed as a "comedy" cartoon?
I don't think so. I personally feel it was more of a "slice of life" cartoon.

The setting, the plot, the characters. It all felt casual. The only thing that was blown out of proportion were the Ed's creativity.
Either way, it was choc full of stupidity.

KND was alright.

Anyone Got a Descaler?

Extra! Extra! ED ALL ABOUT IT!

Guess who just got ImprEDnated?

HI EDDY!

QuackQuackQuackQuackQuack

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I ... don't even think you've watched these shows enough to judge the quality of the animation.
Adventure time actually has an unusually good quality of animation for a CN cartoon, which is almost piss poor honestly, even compared to most shows from the "good old days".
cow and chicken, ed edd and eddy, tom and jerry, looney tunes etc were pretty badly animated, even for the day's technology.
Just because adventure time has a very simple and almost caricature like art style doesn't mean the style is lazy/bad.
There's also some fairly high level humor in both flapjack and adventure time, stuff you have to think about, stuff only certain age groups will get, etc.
The goal of cartoon network was ALWAYS to have slapstick comedy that kids will enjoy with an even mix of humor that older people will enjoy so they don't go braindead watching the series with their kids.

Regular show, however, does not accomplish that the majority of time and would be adult swim material if they just made the characters a little bit raunchier.

And again, MLP animation quality isn't that great.
Like, mediocre at best.
Just because it's made in flash doesn't give it brownie points, unless it's being judged in the Animated-With-Flash Animated Series category.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You missed the quotations I put around the word "lazy". I'm well aware that despite the appearance, that there's plenty to approve of in the cartoon animation itself.

I don't mind either show, and I do like Flapjack for what it is. Bubbie's my favorite character.

Also, you're silly if you're comparing a show's animation of today to a show's animation of yesteryear. Practically apples and oranges. You're also silly for attacking animation at all. The Animals of Farthing Wood has some of the worst animation I've ever seen in a cartoon, but it probably one of the best cartoons I've ever got the chance to experience.

Oh, and don't even dare mention that Adult Swim inhouse crap. I can't stand half of it. Home Movies, Metalocalpyse, and Tom Goes to the Mayor are only a few of the things I liked, and the last one just BARELY scrapped by in my book.

Sealab 2021 was godly. Speaking of redone HB Classics, anyone remember Space Ghost Coast to Coast? That one always made me laugh.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
But i'm not.
I'm comparing them to the time period.
which is why I said, "even for the day's technology".
animation quality for all of those shows could've been much, much better.
I can't even stress how horrible cow and chicken's animation was.
Also, I don't like flapjack.

robot chicken is basically the only AS original production I like.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Robot Chicken fell into mediocrity after the second season, which is a damn shame.

My mistake, I thought you were talking about pre-Cartoon-Cartoon's.
Yeah, I agree there too, in that case. Cow and Chicken is sloppy as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom