• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My fellow Young Link mains, I have a high level of sodium content. EXTRA SALTY

Laijin

Smash Hero
As all of you know, Young Link is not great character by any means. In fact, some of you may say he actually sucks. However, there are some HARD facts that remain that ALL of you would agree on(hopefully :p)

1. He is better than most, if not all of the low tiers. He has some of the best match ups against the mid-top tier characters than most of the other low tiers wish they had.
2. He has sooo many perks to him. The best camping game(next to Fox), one of the quickest characters in the game, a disjointed hit box for his main attacks, some of the best edge guarding abilities(he has so many options for every match up) and of course he is very fun to play. =)
3. Well..I could sit here a list stuff all day as to why Young Link is better than most people think he is, and thats fine. I accepted where he was on the last tier list because well..it kinda just grew on me.

BUT

I CANNOT.
ABSOLUTELY
POSITIVELY
WILL NOT

Accept the fact that Mewtwo AND Zelda ARE ABOVE HIM NOW.
And wtf why is Roy TIED with him!?!?!??!?!?

THIS IS MADNESS TO THE GREATEST DEGREE

In case you have not seen it yet: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286577

And all of you know this for FACT(assuming of course you guys share the same opinions as me :p)

Now lets just discuss tiers for a moment, specifically low tier where Young Link resides. It is pure fact that Young Link absolutely destroys Mewtwo. It is like a 90-10 match up and anyone that argues otherwise has never played the match up. If I remember correctly, I think Jash mentioned Taj quit out of a match against him. It is also pure fact that Young Link destroys Zelda. I can't even begin to fathom a way for Zelda to actually win that match up. I mean seriously. Its Zelda. Shes slow..theres no way for her to stop him from camping all day. Her Nayru's love is very easy to punish and because shes floaty she just gets combo'ed to hell.

So. Let me ask you this. Why are two characters right above Young Link in the low tier that he absolutely decimates?

Okay. So you say they have better match ups than him? I disagree. Young Link has decent match ups against Ice Climbers, Jiggs, Peach, does alright against Marth, Sheik, Falco and Falcon(by alright I mean they have the clear advantage but its not unwinnable) and gets destroyed by Fox.
Mewtwo and Zelda? I don't see their match ups being that good. Maybe Mewtwo has some decent match ups..but really..ZELDA!?!?!? REALLY?
Shes terrible lol.

And let me not even get started on Roy and why he is tied for the same place as YL.

Okay maybe I'm being pretty biased here. But I'm sure you all get my point. Young Link is CLEARLY being under appreciated. Because of this, I will now be playing Young Link way more often in tournament. I encourage you all to do the same.

Come on guys. Young Link is not NEARLY as bad as the community is making him out to be.

We must stand together as a community. As a group. And as one single Young Link community, we will rise above and destroy the evil that is Zelda and Mewtwo being above us and leave Roy behind in the dust! And while we're at it, lets claim that mid tier spot that we deserve as well!

LETS DO IT GUYS! WHO IS WITH ME!?

rhan

Smash Hero
Me.

I already exerted my extreme anger in the "new" tier list thread. This community is ****ing stupid when it comes to being intellectual.

They're basing that list off tourney results. Not by match-ups. No ****ing sense right? Only the smash community..

Laijin

Smash Hero
For the first time in like 6 years I FINALLY realize some of the reasons why every other community hates the smash community and doesn't think we're a real fighting game.
I kinda just chose to ignore it, but really..I can't ignore it any longer.

I'll point out a new personal pet peeve of mine since its relevant to this discussion.

Why do we have a secret group of people(whom btw are elected MBR members based off of pure popularity) to make the community's important decisions like the tier list, while when every other fighting game community actually DECIDES tier lists AS A COMMUNITY. There is no equivalent to the MBR in any other community. Only us. We need people to make decisions for us. We can't decide as a group guys. Thats way too hard.

Perfect example as to how other communities do it: Guilty Gear Accent Core. The lowest of low tiers(to give you an idea he is like Pichu tier), Holy Order Sol WINS, and I when I say Win, I mean literally..he WON 1st PLACE at one of the biggest nationals in the country.
That guy's win did not at all influence any tier list. He remained bottom tier because he sucks. So why do we have feel the need to move up a character's tier based off of ONE OR TWO players performance at a tournament? I mean honestly, can you guys think of any other high placing jigglypuff players besides Mango and Hbox? I mean really, just name one other. Oh thats right. You can't. Cause there are no others. Can you guys name any other Zelda and Mewtwo players besides Cosmos and Taj that place as well as them? NO. Cause there are none.
So why do we, as a community, feel the need to move up a character's tier list spot based on the performance of one or two players. NOT A GROUP OF PEOPLE. Just..that one guy who does really well with character X but everyone else in the world still sucks with character X cause character X is actually not that good

someone answer that.

\endrant

Edit:
I guess since thats the way things are, all we gotta do is bring him up to at least mid tier. Right guys? :)

Edit 2: On second thought..I want him to still be in low tier still so I can easily **** low tier tournaments..lol.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Me.
Young link is my second best char now. and super fun and awesome to play with.
also i wrote a big rant on why ylink is better than roy and m2 and probably zelda on the thread.
his camping game is so good.
and ya he has lotsa potential.
more than Link imo.

suffice to say. I will be playing only mario and ylink from here on out.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think Young Link deserves the place he has.

Look at it this way:

Mewtwo has Taj, Pikachu has Axe, Zelda has Lake/Cosmo.

I say this is just more incentive to just do better. I mean, that's how those guys ^ got their characters up higher.

I'm seriously in super YLink/DK mode, I was honestly gonna give up on smash but now I have something to motivate me :D

My first mission is to prove YLink is viable vs Falco. You think I'm crazy, but there's an semi-old Ylink player who used to give AZ Falcos the business (including players like Axe). He's basically my god atm xD

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
Hmm i guess.
ATM i'm maining Young Link, Roy, and Zelda.
To see if i can do something about their rank.

But i thought Young Link would have moved up from Vanz atleast.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
because zelda and mewtwo have representation. and you're matchups vs zelda and mewtwo no1 cares about.

the only MU's that matter are you're character vs falcon falco fox marth sheik ganon and peach.

mewtwo can **** heavy characters and spacies with somewhat "ease"

zelda outspaces pretty much all characters who dont have a projectile other than marth.

Cia

das kwl
For the first time in like 6 years I FINALLY realize some of the reasons why every other community hates the smash community and doesn't think we're a real fighting game.
I kinda just chose to ignore it, but really..I can't ignore it any longer.

I'll point out a new personal pet peeve of mine since its relevant to this discussion.

Why do we have a secret group of people(whom btw are elected MBR members based off of pure popularity) to make the community's important decisions like the tier list, while when every other fighting game community actually DECIDES tier lists AS A COMMUNITY. There is no equivalent to the MBR in any other community. Only us. We need people to make decisions for us. We can't decide as a group guys. Thats way too hard.

Perfect example as to how other communities do it: Guilty Gear Accent Core. The lowest of low tiers(to give you an idea he is like Pichu tier), Holy Order Sol WINS, and I when I say Win, I mean literally..he WON 1st PLACE at one of the biggest nationals in the country.
That guy's win did not at all influence any tier list. He remained bottom tier because he sucks. So why do we have feel the need to move up a character's tier based off of ONE OR TWO players performance at a tournament? I mean honestly, can you guys think of any other high placing jigglypuff players besides Mango and Hbox? I mean really, just name one other. Oh thats right. You can't. Cause there are no others. Can you guys name any other Zelda and Mewtwo players besides Cosmos and Taj that place as well as them? NO. Cause there are none.
So why do we, as a community, feel the need to move up a character's tier list spot based on the performance of one or two players. NOT A GROUP OF PEOPLE. Just..that one guy who does really well with character X but everyone else in the world still sucks with character X cause character X is actually not that good

someone answer that.

\endrant

Edit:
I guess since thats the way things are, all we gotta do is bring him up to at least mid tier. Right guys? :)

Edit 2: On second thought..I want him to still be in low tier still so I can easily **** low tier tournaments..lol.
The MBR doesn't make decisions for the community. However, the MBR is often looked to by the general community for answers. So if you don't agree with something that was put out like a tier list or a rule set, you don't have to believe/use it.

And as far as electing based on popularity, you couldn't be more wrong. People are elected for the following reasons:

- extensive knowledge of the game.
- recognized national host

Laijin

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think Young Link deserves the place he has.

Look at it this way:

Mewtwo has Taj, Pikachu has Axe, Zelda has Lake/Cosmo.

I say this is just more incentive to just do better. I mean, that's how those guys ^ got their characters up higher.

I'm seriously in super YLink/DK mode, I was honestly gonna give up on smash but now I have something to motivate me :D

My first mission is to prove YLink is viable vs Falco. You think I'm crazy, but there's an semi-old Ylink player who used to give AZ Falcos the business (including players like Axe). He's basically my god atm xD
I actually agree. Although Falco has the advantage in the match up, YL has options to mess him up ;O

Although I still completely still disagree that 1 player does not make a character good(like the examples you gave you), but rather that just makes that player good.

The MBR doesn't make decisions for the community. However, the MBR is often looked to by the general community for answers. So if you don't agree with something that was put out like a tier list or a rule set, you don't have to believe/use it.

And as far as electing based on popularity, you couldn't be more wrong. People are elected for the following reasons:

- extensive knowledge of the game.
- recognized national host
Its generally looked at that the MBR decides things for the community(like the tier list for example), and these things are generally accepted.
Sure you can say those people are elected for those reasons, but there are some people who I don't really value opinions at all by any means because I personally think their opinions are dumb and they don't really know what their talking about usually whenever their in a discussion. I'm absolutely not naming any names, but I will tell you they are pretty popular smashers and people ****-ride them all the time. So thats why I draw that conclusion.
Extensive knowledge of the game purely subjective. So is the tier list, however there are ways to make the tier list less subjective and less room for questioning things. But whatever...opinions will be opinions. Apples and oranges.

MORE IMPORTANTLY AND ON TOPIC
Will you be joining the Young Link bandwagon Vanz?

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Jiggly has won the past few big nation tournaments, as far as I've seen. I think that DEFINITELY puts Jiggly on the radar. Not only that, but all sorts of rest set-ups and the advancement of the metagame (thanks, hbox! bair bair bair <3 Really, I still love Hbox, though) have led to Jiggly's placement.

Tournament-wise, Jigglys have done VERY well at placing the highest though they have not been consistent. However, Apex has shown that all sorts of characters can place high. Also, it's not only tournament placing that matters; Jiggly is a pretty good character overall when used correctly. Hbox, again as an example, has effectively proven that one move alone of Jiggly's, when well applied, can provide good results.

That said, I feel that Jiggly belongs in top tier but still below Fox and Falco. Jiggs doesn't really **** the whole cast as much as the spacies do.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Jiggly has won the past few big nation tournaments, as far as I've seen. I think that DEFINITELY puts Jiggly on the radar. Not only that, but all sorts of rest set-ups and the advancement of the metagame (thanks, hbox! bair bair bair <3 Really, I still love Hbox, though) have led to Jiggly's placement.

Tournament-wise, Jigglys have done VERY well at placing the highest though they have not been consistent. However, Apex has shown that all sorts of characters can place high. Also, it's not only tournament placing that matters; Jiggly is a pretty good character overall when used correctly. Hbox, again as an example, has effectively proven that one move alone of Jiggly's, when well applied, can provide good results.

That said, I feel that Jiggly belongs in top tier but still below Fox and Falco. Jiggs doesn't really **** the whole cast as much as the spacies do.
I agree. Jiggs is a good character. I'm not denying that. lol. But her match ups are not as good as Fox and arguably Falco like you pointed out. There also needs to be a closer look at the other high tiers to really see where she stands, but yea shes definitely near the top.

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
I've seen the V3ctorman vs. Axe match! Oh my god! Definitely wants me to make Young Link insanely noticeable for what he can do!

V3ctorman's Yoshi
AXE's Pikachu
Taj's Mewtwo
Cosmo's Zelda
WarriorKnight's Bowser

INSANE!

keeper

Smash Champion

Young Link was my main way back when I was a wee-un. He's bad, really bad. He kills at ridiculously high percents. I'm happy he isn't in the Negligible tier.

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
Yeah. Well all i know is Taj, AXE, and V3ctorman being in Arizona.
Anyone here likes the MU for Young Link and Fox?

Laijin

Smash Hero
Young Link vs Fox is like 35-65 in IMO.
I don't like it. lol.
However! Some players reaaaalllly can't handle camping or YL's playstyle and don't fair too well in the match up. If the Fox was playing perfectly, you won't have a chance. However, it really varies from player to player and their playstyles.

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
Young Link vs Fox is like 35-65 in IMO.
I don't like it. lol.
However! Some players reaaaalllly can't handle camping or YL's playstyle and don't fair too well in the match up. If the Fox was playing perfectly, you won't have a chance. However, it really varies from player to player and their playstyles.

Hmm i guess.
I actually like Young Link Vs. Falco.
I don't know why. Just curious, whose Fox have you played and won against with your Young Link? If you ever used your Young Link against a Fox.
Maybe i can see how those fox play like and see what i can come up with when playing a fox. o_____e

Laijin

Smash Hero
Hmm i guess.
I actually like Young Link Vs. Falco.
I don't know why. Just curious, whose Fox have you played and won against with your Young Link? If you ever used your Young Link against a Fox.
Maybe i can see how those fox play like and see what i can come up with when playing a fox. o_____e
In recent times, I don't ever use YL vs Fox.
I prefer vs Falco though. I have played against Shiz and Lambchops while down in FL. I had a close set with Lambchops in a mm a couple of years ago and another decent set against Shiz in a mm a couple of years ago(They both won). Those are about the only two notable Falcos I have played in serious matches. But I do like the Falco match up a lot more, although Falco still holds the advantage. I think nowadays I might have a better shot since I'm a lot better now :O

Like I said, i'll get some matches recorded at my next tourney.

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
In recent times, I don't ever use YL vs Fox.
I prefer vs Falco though. I have played against Shiz and Lambchops while down in FL. I had a close set with Lambchops in a mm a couple of years ago and another decent set against Shiz in a mm a couple of years ago(They both won). Those are about the only two notable Falcos I have played in serious matches. But I do like the Falco match up a lot more, although Falco still holds the advantage. I think nowadays I might have a better shot since I'm a lot better now :O

Like I said, i'll get some matches recorded at my next tourney.
Cool!
By chance are you going to Mass Madness?
Or Souper Bowl?
Or Cataclysm?

Any of those tourneys?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
loris m2 is mad legit.

at rhan didn't I once post about how LY could win a major tournmnet because he had the tools too? m2/zedla have placed better you say they are worse but they can place and LY can't i'm confused.

YL could place with better players less foxes.

if you what to win more you'll win

Laijin

Smash Hero
loris m2 is mad legit.

at rhan didn't I once post about how LY could win a major tournmnet because he had the tools too? m2/zedla have placed better you say they are worse but they can place and LY can't i'm confused.

YL could place with better players less foxes.

if you what to win more you'll win
uhhh..last time I played his M2, I kinda ***** it. :p lol

Rappster

Smash Ace
does it really matter?
the only thing tierlists do is tell noobs what the metagame looks like in general.
no one's gonna pick up any bottom teir characters cause of the new list, and no ones gonna start maining a bottom/negligible tier.
chill.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
some of the worse match ups are the funnest holy f*** pichu vs marth I love it sooooooooooo much it's like 30-70 also.

Ys can win I believe in him like pichu.

I like pcihu he sucks

Top Bottom