• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Looking at this from a certain point of view... That'd be sacrificing one of Multiversus' most unique qualities that help it stand out from every other platform fighter. Not a good call. Lots of team based games have done well and thousands of people didn't mind or liked the 2v2 aspect. Certain gameplay issues like the dodge system can be tinkered without sacrificing the game's most standout quality.
Yeah I do think they should keep that quality though I do hope they adjust a few characters to work better in a 1v1 environment

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So, With The Relaunch coming what stuff do you guys want to see in the full game?

What Characters? Stages? Items? Modes? and Others for Improvement.

I'll make my list a little later.

There’s a ton of characters I’d like to see, WB has so much in their library that hasn’t been touched by this game yet and I’d be happy to see even a handful of these guys make the cut:

Austin Powers, Blue Beetle, Brock Sampson, Buddy the Elf, Courage, Daffy Duck/Duck Dodgers, David Powers, **** Dastardly, Dio Brando, Dot Warner, Droopy Dog, Eva Ernst, Fred Flintstone, Freddy Krueger, Godzilla, Green Lantern, Harry Callahan, Ice Bear, Imperator Furiosa, Johnny Cage, Jotaro Kujo, King Kong, Lion-O, The Mask, Medusa (Clash of the Titans), Neo, Nicole Watterson, Phoebe Buffay, Quick Draw McGraw, Rosie the Robot, Samurai Jack, Scorpion, Shaft, Snow Miser, Space Ghost, Static, Steve Urkel, Top Cat, Trinity, Yogi Bear

A lot of stages added too with plenty of variance in their layouts, give us more casual stages, a few locations or general ideas I could see:

(Austin Powers) Austin’s Pad
(The Amazing World of Gumball) Elmore Junior High
(Beetlejuice) Saturn Desert
(Clash of the Titans) Joppa Amphitheater
(Courage the Cowardly Dog) Middle of Nowhere
(DC Comics) Metropolis Skyline, Titans Tower,
(Family Matters) Urkel’s Lab
(The Flintstones) Slate Rock and Gravel Company
(F.R.I.E.N.D.S.) Central Perk
(Godzilla) Tokyo Attack
(Goonies) The Inferno
(Gremlins) Clamp Tower
(Hanna Barbara Classics) Jellystone Park, Hoagy's Alley, Banana Splits Stage,
(The Iron Giant) McCoppin Scrap
(The Jetsons) Orbit City Rush Hour
(Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure) Cairo
(King Kong) Skull Island
(Looney Tunes) ACME Warehouse, Martian Base
(Mad Max: Fury Road) Fury Road Chase
(The Mask) Coco Bongo
(The Matrix) The Construct
(Mortal Kombat) The Pit
(A Nightmare on Elm Street) Boiler Room
(Samurai Jack) Aku’s Lair
(Thundercats) Thundertank Assault
(Tom & Jerry) Cat Concerto
(Wacky Races) Overseas Hi-Way
(The Wizard of Oz) Yellow Brick Road
(The Year Without a Santa Claus) Miser Lands

Items would be fun to add too though I might need to put some thought into them

I’ll also echo what others said about more casual/single player modes and easing up on the grinding and pricing

EDIT: Forgot the Gumball stage

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
There’s a ton of characters I’d like to see, WB has so much in their library that hasn’t been touched by this game yet and I’d be happy to see even a handful of these guys make the cut:

Austin Powers, Blue Beetle, Brock Sampson, Buddy the Elf, Courage, Daffy Duck/Duck Dodgers, David Powers, **** Dastardly, Dio Brando, Dot Warner, Droopy Dog, Eva Ernst, Fred Flintstone, Freddy Krueger, Godzilla, Green Lantern, Harry Callahan, Ice Bear, Imperator Furiosa, Johnny Cage, Jotaro Kujo, King Kong, Lion-O, The Mask, Medusa (Clash of the Titans), Neo, Nicole Watterson, Phoebe Buffay, Quick Draw McGraw, Rosie the Robot, Samurai Jack, Scorpion, Shaft, Snow Miser, Space Ghost, Static, Steve Urkel, Top Cat, Trinity, Yogi Bear

A lot of stages added too with plenty of variance in their layouts, give us more casual stages, a few locations or general ideas I could see:

(Austin Powers) Austin’s Pad
(The Amazing World of Gumball)
(Beetlejuice) Saturn Desert
(Clash of the Titans) Joppa Amphitheater
(Courage the Cowardly Dog) Middle of Nowhere
(DC Comics) Metropolis Skyline, Titans Tower,
(Family Matters) Urkel’s Lab
(The Flintstones) Slate Rock and Gravel Company
(F.R.I.E.N.D.S.) Central Perk
(Godzilla) Tokyo Attack
(Goonies) The Inferno
(Gremlins) Clamp Tower
(Hanna Barbara Classics) Jellystone Park, Hoagy's Alley, Banana Splits Stage,
(The Iron Giant) McCoppin Scrap
(The Jetsons) Orbit City Rush Hour
(Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure) Cairo
(King Kong) Skull Island
(Looney Tunes) ACME Warehouse, Martian Base
(Mad Max: Fury Road) Fury Road Chase
(The Mask) Coco Bongo
(The Matrix) The Construct
(Mortal Kombat) The Pit
(A Nightmare on Elm Street) Boiler Room
(Samurai Jack) Aku’s Lair
(Thundercats) Thundertank Assault
(Tom & Jerry) Cat Concerto
(Wacky Races) Overseas Hi-Way
(The Wizard of Oz) Yellow Brick Road
(The Year Without a Santa Claus) Miser Lands

Items would be fun to add too though I might need to put some thought into them

I’ll also echo what others said about more casual/single player modes and easing up on the grinding and pricing
I'd add the rest of the warners on there but this is your wishes so i should respect it.

As for my wants

I want to see Mordecai and Rigby & The Animaniacs appear in the game aswell as some stage changes to make them a little better.

As for the roster, i think there are some characters i believe might show up in the full version based on popular requests or beliefs to make a large selection of characters

The Following Includes
-Ninja and Brute: This is just a guess i'm making, assuming they might add some more original characters in the game to balance things out or else they're really scrapped forever.
-The Joker: Has been in the datamines for a long while now and was rumored to be the next revealed character for the game, so he should be in the final version for sure.
-Scooby-Doo!: i think scooby should be here since he is the main representation of his series and it shouldn't atleast amount to just shaggy and velma(unless you start factoring other reasons for their represent which you shouldn't....for velma's case)
-Daffy Duck: i think they should get daffy in since he's the 2nd most popular looney tune and i believe they might be putting him as the next looney tunes character to be in the final build(although there is Wile E. Coyote)
-Daenerys: We might be getting a 2nd GoT rep, considering tony promised there'd be more female characters i think daenerys would've been one of those character.
-Marceline: They have teased marcy before and while tony did said she wasn't going to be in he was still asking for ideas, this would mean they have marceline in the works & she might have more time to get in thanks to the rebuild of multiversus
-Nubia: I think they might want to add Echo-Fighter type characters in the game to balance the roster's variety a little and nubia has had some stuff about her in the datamnines suggesting she'd become her own fighter.
-Pickle Rick: Nubia is one of the ideal echo esque fighers to become of her own, the leaks suggest picke rick would've been the first one to show up so....yeah, although if he does show up will he either get roiland's voicelines or get redubbed by whoever takes over Rick & Morty's Roles?
-Samurai Jack: The leaks suggested he was next line to become a fighter and was leaked by a while back before it got debunked, but with jack being one of the official characters we found out about, he's likely coming to the full release.
-The Flash: He's DC most recognizable character and he's getting a movie(starring mr. i'm not going to name)
-Green Lantern: Another DC character i think might get in due to his legacy and he's part of the justice league too
-Raven: She's likely getting in due to having some evidence of her progress being finished and even if TTG is still going they're still going to represent the classic teen titans with let's hope some teen titans original stuff present.
-Blue Beetle: Might be unlikely but with jamie getting a film later on in the year, it's likely he makes the cut
-Beetlejuice and Wicked Witch of the West: these two were likely already done and were ready to release but got pushed back due to being halloween characters so maybe they might make it to the roster this time and both films are iconic to Warner Brothers' History
-Gandalf and Lord of the Rings: I think with multiversus having more time to sprouse things up they might get lord of the rings back into the game since warner brothers is making a reboot of the films which could suggest they still have the rights to the series or are working with tolkein again after what happened with Rings of Power.
-Harry Potter: as much as people might hate it, i feel harry potter & his series as a whole might wound up onto the game during the waiting period considering how David "Backslide" is likely pitching the series back into popularity and hogwarts legacy did good, it's likely they won't due to people still hating the series but hey warner wants to represent their library on their so you never know
-Neo Anderson: He might get in due to legacy and the matrix having a banner in the datamines
-The Powerpuff Girls and Ben 10: With Them being the most well recognizable shows i think they might be the next CN shows to get in especially with some new stuff coming soon(The PPG Revival and Gwen 10 Spin-Off) or being considered(The Live-Action Ben 10 Movie)
-Mordecai & Rigby: Both are also from cartoon network's most popular series and were high on the list of most wanted characters on discord with ben 10, so maybe? hopefully?
-The Animaniacs: Similar with Mordecai & Rigby, they were on the discord poll and were shown to be the most popular requested characters and they have their legacy to hold up, their hulu series may be over but there's still more stuff coming up for them such as Pinky & The Brain having some sort of special & wakko's actor talking about an animaniacs theatrical film(not important but still worth bringing up).
-Scorpion and Sub-Zero: With Mortal Kombat getting a new game and it's legacy with WB, i think they might get a video game rep with their currently relevantly owned franchise, scorpion is the most popular to choose while sub-zero would be another echo fighter to consider.
-Fred Flintstone, Mad Max, and Johnny Bravo: I Think their may be a chance these three might show up if the original leak still holds water, both share a legacy of sorts that differs & would help represent warner's history(Johnny mostly would rep Cartoon Network and would be the random joke character to people).
-Walter White: While the CEO of WB Games is mostly focused on warner brother's franchises for Multiversus, i think walter might get in due to his popularity in the community and maybe the small hint from twitter that might suggest a deal was struck.

Anyone else i'm missing?
1680236946895.png
: Me
Oh....Ya i think they might put Ruby just because of the justice league crossover and due to her legacy with Rooster Teeth, though if i were to pick two characters it'd be her & yang.

The Roster Prediction might not be 100%, especially with how many characters i want or believe will get in, i honestly think they might pick a small good amount of characters for the full roster while they work on the rest of the game since it'd be much easier to give multiversus more stuff for people to be able to get a grasp on.

Characters aren't just the main thing about a fighting game it's also the content it provides such as stages & modes aswell as balancing out the core mechanics that come with it, i may only care more about wanting more fighters however that's not the only main important thing for the game.

As for stages, while there are a good chunk i want to see there are a couple of old ones i like to see get changed a bit

The Haunted Mansion from Scooby-Doo!: Please add some scooby-doo! remixes from the show besides the original one you made, i don't mind it but i'd like to see some stuff representing scooby's source material and maybe make new hazards such as adding the monsters from Where are You to terrorize the fighters.
Space Jam Court from Looney Tunes/Space Jam: Changed the remix back with the welcome to the jam mix in it, please. i also thought about the stage either getting revamped to look like the original space jam movie's court or put cameos in the background to make it look lively(also give the basketball mechanic some unique twists such as whoever makes the goal first gets immunity.
Trophy's Edge: If Lord of the Rings gets back in then put back the eye of sauron or the tower back please
Cromulans from Rick Morty: Give the cromulans voices either roiland's recordings or the new actor.

i'd also like to see a story mode in the game that's simple and focuses on the characters stopping the main threat, however it might be difficult to put it in since it would take forever to make so either hire a team to make the story mode without making things difficult, save it as DLC, OR release it in different chapters(i would not recommend the last option), make the game offline for people to play & unlock the characters without having to play online for everything, add some extra modes that makes the fun, improve silly queue, and all the other things that everyone has asked to make this game much better please!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I'd add the rest of the warners on there but this is your wishes so i should respect it.
I guess I could see them as a group of three, otherwise I feel Yakko and Wakko would’ve been close to retreads of Bugs and Taz and Dot seemed like the most unique to me, then again I can’t really say much considering I personally wanna see Slappy Squirrel in as well

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I guess I could see them as a group of three, otherwise I feel Yakko and Wakko would’ve been close to retreads of Bugs and Taz and Dot seemed like the most unique to me, then again I can’t really say much considering I personally wanna see Slappy Squirrel in as well
i see

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Ausil just found some new leaked stuff this includes

-Strings for Powerpuff Girls meaning that they're going to be one of the characters in the roster(or one of them but it wouldn't be right to leave two of them out) and a stage
-The confirmation that Joker was the next new character
-A New Steven Universe Stage being "Mask Island"
-Steven had multiple outfits such as Pink Diamond Steven
-Garnet had some outfits such as a crown & cape
-Jake had a zombie outfit
-Lebron has two outfits such as an Amazon Defender & a Warm-Up Costume(Likely his jacket from New Legacy)

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord

-Strings for Powerpuff Girls meaning that they're going to be one of the characters in the roster(or one of them but it wouldn't be right to leave two of them out) and a stage
-Lebron has two outfits such as an Amazon Defender & a Warm-Up Costume(Likely his jacket from New Legacy)
For a moment I misread "Garnet had a zombie outfit" and was super confused

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord

So based on what youre saying here, they only found strings for one Powerpuff Girl or are you just guessing?

D

Deleted member

So based on what youre saying here, they only found strings for one Powerpuff Girl or are you just guessing?
OG leaker did say the PPG would be a three in one character. But I don't know if we know one way or another

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't know if they would even do a three in one fighter. Not even Sakurai could do that, and that was the reason why I believe he had to scrap the Chorus Men in Smash 4. Instead I believe that we either only get a single girl, or they go for the more unique route and add one of their villains instead like HIM or Mojo Jojo.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't know if they would even do a three in one fighter. Not even Sakurai could do that, and that was the reason why I believe he had to scrap the Chorus Men in Smash 4. Instead I believe that we either only get a single girl, or they go for the more unique route and add one of their villains instead like HIM or Mojo Jojo.
It could be 3 in 1 as in stance change characters. But besides, Smash 4 was on the 3ds of all thing, I'm sure ps4 and xbox one can run 3 characters.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It could be 3 in 1 as in stance change characters. But besides, Smash 4 was on the 3ds of all thing, I'm sure ps4 and xbox one can run 3 characters.
This team has much less experience than Sakurai. If not even him can get it to work I'm not sure if an indie studio with only a few dozen employees can do it too. Plus, I don't really believe that the girls would be unique. We already have Superman who can do just about anything the girls can do and more. I believe that they should just pass over the girls and instead add one of their villains who I believe would be much more unique and interesting to play as.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean there are a lot of assumptions here. Mainly, you're assuming that it would be a three in one situation like how the Ice Climbers are a two in one. It's far more likely to be a case of all three being a single hitbox, making it instead a Duck Hunt situation.

The latter case wouldn't be an issue at all from a programming standpoint, while only the former would be a nightmare.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I've said it before, they could easily make the Powerpuff Girls into three separate characters. There was a whole episode about the different approaches each girl has.

Buttercup would be a Bruiser or a Tank, focus primarily on physical attacks and brute strength, making her a close quarters rushdown sort of character.

Blossom the Mage or Assassin, with more emphasis on special abilities, superpowers and strategic maneuvers. Possibly making use of various status changes that need to be used wisely.

Bubbles, of course, would be Support. Show her kind encouraging nature with moves that buff up her teammate. Show her ability to talk to animals by having Bullet the Squirrel show up as an assist. Her special power is a sonic scream, which I believe no one else on the roster has yet.

They've been separate characters in every previous fighting game appearance, and it'd be more fun to play co-op with them anyway similar to Finn and Jake/Rick and Morty.

This team has much less experience than Sakurai. If not even him can get it to work I'm not sure if an indie studio with only a few dozen employees can do it too. Plus, I don't really believe that the girls would be unique. We already have Superman who can do just about anything the girls can do and more. I believe that they should just pass over the girls and instead add one of their villains who I believe would be much more unique and interesting to play as.
No. They would not be too similar to Superman. There are some things in common (and there could be ways to make laser eyes and ice breath work differently than how Superman does it. Use your imagination) but they aren't clones of him. Stop applying Smash logic to characters who aren't from video games.

Though if we're going to do that, what's the difference between including one of the villains over the girls compared to NASB including Helga instead of Arnold or Hugh instead of Jimmy, something you've been staunchly against? Why does this main characters only belief suddenly not apply to the Powerpuff Girls?

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I've said it before, they could easily make the Powerpuff Girls into three separate characters. There was a whole episode about the different approaches each girl has.

Buttercup would be a Bruiser or a Tank, focus primarily on physical attacks and brute strength, making her a close quarters rushdown sort of character.

Blossom the Mage or Assassin, with more emphasis on special abilities, superpowers and strategic maneuvers. Possibly making use of various status changes that need to be used wisely.

Bubbles, of course, would be Support. Show her kind encouraging nature with moves that buff up her teammate. Show her ability to talk to animals by having Bullet the Squirrel show up as an assist. Her special power is a sonic scream, which I believe no one else on the roster has yet.

They've been separate characters in every previous fighting game appearance, and it'd be more fun to play co-op with them anyway similar to Finn and Jake/Rick and Morty.

No. They would not be too similar to Superman. There are some things in common (and there could be ways to make laser eyes and ice breath work differently than how Superman does it. Use your imagination) but they aren't clones of him. Stop applying Smash logic to characters who aren't from video games.

Though if we're going to do that, what's the difference between including one of the villains over the girls compared to NASB including Helga instead of Arnold or Hugh instead of Jimmy, something you've been staunchly against? Why does this main characters only belief suddenly not apply to the Powerpuff Girls?
i feel if the powerpuff girls were passed over for mojo or HIM then it might leave people confused & likely cause a bad negative impression

D

Deleted member

Some insane claims in this. Like with all PapaGeno stuff take with more than a little salt

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Almost all of the girls' powers are shared with Superman. There just isn't any room for uniqueness with the PPGs unless they either invent entirely original powers for the girls that aren't from the show itself or they use their incarnations from PPGZ instead.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Superman doesn't have supersonic screams, nor does he fire blasts of energy outside of his heat vision nor can he potentially do team attacks like a trio of the girls could, there's absolutely no issue with what the PPG and Superman can do.
Much of that can only be used if they put the girls in one slot, which I don't think that they'll do for development related reasons.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Almost all of the girls' powers are shared with Superman. There just isn't any room for uniqueness with the PPGs unless they either invent entirely original powers for the girls that aren't from the show itself or they use their incarnations from PPGZ instead.
Reminder that this is the studio that is planning on releasing Pickle Rick, whose datamine has almost the same moveset as Rick. They don't really seem to care if two characters are too similar.

Though for argument's sake, just because the PPG have the same powers as Superman doesn't mean that unique moves can't still be made for them. After all, there are characters with the same powersets in Smash Bros that are implemented in different ways to be unique (i.e. pk-fire for Ness and Lucas). While on paper the girls' powers are similar to Superman, the current moveset for Superman uses his powers in limited ways, enough so that the devs could create a unique moveset for the girls. For example, they could have the PPG's eye lasers work like R.O.B.'s eye laser instead of Superman's or have their freeze breath not be a continuous stream.

Though one thing I do agree with is that Mojo-Jojo would be a sick addition.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Why are we even arguing about the powerpuff girls' moveset potential in this form of topic? none of this should matter for their chances

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Some insane claims in this. Like with all PapaGeno stuff take with more than a little salt
I'm currently watching through it and so far for the characters Papa listed them in different categories based off the sources he has.

Leaked Characters
-The Joker(DC's Batman)
-Marceline(Adventure Time)
-Hermoine Grangar(Harry Potter)
-The Powerpuff Girls(...)
-Samurai Jack(...)
-Mordecai(Regular Show)
-Another Cartoon Network Character

Limbo
-Brute and Ninja(Original Characters)
-Gandalf & Legolas(Lord of the Rings)
-Godzilla(...)
-Eleven(Stranger Things)
-Master Chief(Halo)
-Spongebob Squarepants(...)
-Spider-Man(Marvel's Spider-Man)
-Ted Lasso(...)
-Scorpion and Other Mortal Kombat Characters
-Walter White(Breaking Bad)

The 60+ Character List
-Daffy Duck and Wile E. Coyote(Looney Tunes)
-The Warners(Animaniacs)
-Ben Tennyson(Ben 10)
-Harry Potter and Voldemort(Harry Potter)
-Rigby(Regular Show)

Echo Fighters
-Nubia(DC's Wonder Woman)
-Pickle Rick(Rick & Morty)
-Punchline(DC's Batman)
-Big Chungus(Hehehe)

Were Suggested by the Devs
-Grim(The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy)
-The Eds(Ed, Edd n Eddy)
-Doomslayer(DOOM)
-Arbiter(Halo)
-BIONICLE Characters
-The Terminator(...)
-Optimus Prime(Transformers)
-Jonesy(Fortnite)
-Jojo Characters(more specifically Jolyne Cujoh(and Jotaro who was used as an example of characters))

i'll talk more in depth on these characters later cause it would be a long list

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly the biggest thing that's damning about the PapaGenos list (aside from the credibility of the person who made the list in the first place) is that there has literally never been a legitimate leak or datamine for either Mordecai or Hermione. They should absolutely not be filed under leaked/datamined. Hell, in the case of the latter, we know that two other characters from the School of Backlash and Bigotry were planned but dropped...and neither were Hermione. The idea that they'd get the rights again, but then opt for a completely different character, is patently ridiculous.

D

Deleted member

Honestly the biggest thing that's damning about the PapaGenos list (aside from the credibility of the person who made the list in the first place) is that there has literally never been a legitimate leak or datamine for either Mordecai or Hermione. They should absolutely not be filed under leaked/datamined. Hell, in the case of the latter, we know that two other characters from the School of Backlash and Bigotry were planned but dropped...and neither were Hermione. The idea that they'd get the rights again, but then opt for a completely different character, is patently ridiculous.
He's claiming to have heard about them from sources himself and that this isn't publicly leaked stuff. A lot of stuff in the video I don't buy

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
My main thing about Papagenos is that his leaks aren't always accurate. Remember he was leaking a bunch of stuff for Multiversus when it first came out and almost none of it actually happened.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Can we stop making passive aggressive comments about HP everytime it's mentioned. We're all aware of the discourse you don't HAVE to bring it up every time it's mentioned because all that **** does is keep pushing the cycle of hatred

D

Deleted member

He claims three HP characters where possibly planned for S2\3. Harry, Hermione and Voldimort but Hermione got pushed forward because they needed more female characters, same with Marciline.

Last edited by a moderator:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
He claims three HP characters where possibly planned for S2\3. Harry, Hermione and Voldimort but Hermione got pushed forward because they needed more female characters, same with Marciline.
I don't think that's what's going on unless WB is literally forcing the devs to add more female characters, but I don't think that WB cares what gender the new characters are.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I don't think that's what's going on unless WB is literally forcing the devs to add more female characters, but I don't think that WB cares what gender the new characters are.
It's possible this is a decision of the devs themselves, not WB.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Can we stop making passive aggressive comments about HP everytime it's mentioned. We're all aware of the discourse you don't HAVE to bring it up every time it's mentioned because all that **** does is keep pushing the cycle of hatred
I really wish it was socially acceptable to talk about Harry Potter. I really enjoyed the books as a kid - hell, I still read HP fanfic from time to time! But I'm not mad at people here for hating the series, I'm mad at Rowling for seemingly dedicating her life to transphobia. It's not the same as the Notch situation, because Rowling still owns and is creatively involved in it. I can't fault people, especially non-cis people, for vehemently not wanting stuff from HP in the game, as it's inclusion will help line Rowling's pockets. Even despite still somewhat considering myself a Potter fan, I haven't spent a dime on the IP in years, and I don't plan on doing so unless Rowling has a change of heart or she sells the IP. If and when they add HP content to the game, I won't protest (though, once again, I completely understand anyone who will) and might even use free currency to get the character - but I'll remain disappointed that I live in a world where I have to put all those caveats for a character from a book I loved. Where my first thought when I saw they were doing a HBO adaptation of the books (something I would have killed for in the past) was apathy. Where I know there's no chance I ever officially work on the series, something I would love to do, because the author thinks I'm a threat to society.

D

Deleted member

Someone did a reddit post summimg up the stream (though even this misses stuff). A lot of this feels like after the fact stuff mixed with speculation

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Someone did a reddit post summimg up the stream (though even this misses stuff). A lot of this feels like after the fact stuff mixed with speculation
The whole thing about Awkwafina is so oddly specific that I almost kind of believe it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's possible this is a decision of the devs themselves, not WB.
Although I don't think that this is something that the devs would care about. Unless of course there was mass complaints about the lack of female characters that we don't know about.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I really wish it was socially acceptable to talk about Harry Potter. I really enjoyed the books as a kid - hell, I still read HP fanfic from time to time! But I'm not mad at people here for hating the series, I'm mad at Rowling for seemingly dedicating her life to transphobia. It's not the same as the Notch situation, because Rowling still owns and is creatively involved in it. I can't fault people, especially non-cis people, for vehemently not wanting stuff from HP in the game, as it's inclusion will help line Rowling's pockets. Even despite still somewhat considering myself a Potter fan, I haven't spent a dime on the IP in years, and I don't plan on doing so unless Rowling has a change of heart or she sells the IP. If and when they add HP content to the game, I won't protest (though, once again, I completely understand anyone who will) and might even use free currency to get the character - but I'll remain disappointed that I live in a world where I have to put all those caveats for a character from a book I loved. Where my first thought when I saw they were doing a HBO adaptation of the books (something I would have killed for in the past) was apathy. Where I know there's no chance I ever officially work on the series, something I would love to do, because the author thinks I'm a threat to society.
It’s stuff like this that makes me feel sorry for you HP fans. At least the ones who don’t stick for her. Shakespeare and lovecraft fans don’t have to constantly clarify they’re not racist. Then again they are dead which makes things easier. Probably

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Although I don't think that this is something that the devs would care about. Unless of course there was mass complaints about the lack of female characters that we don't know about.
Why not? Why would they want a less diverse roster, both gender-wise and visually by a design standpoint? It's absolutely possible they're doing this because they just want to.

Shakespeare and lovecraft fans don’t have to constantly clarify they’re not racist. Then again they are dead which makes things easier. Probably
Not into HP but that's about it. JKR is still alive and actively, enthusiastically causing harm, so it's harder to justify, even if I totally believe someone could like the HP franchise outside of her campaign to be Worst Person. Didn't she straight up come out and say something like "if you're supporting HP financially, then you actively agree with me" or something like that?

I mean, I truly do feel bad for HP fans caught in the middle of this too, like I can't even imagine how awful this has to feel. But it's pretty hard NOT to talk about it at this point. JKR has made it impossible to separate art from the artist anymore, very likely deliberately. This is the legacy she retroactively wants these books to have now. It's beyond horrible for people who enjoyed them, but as long as she's doing this, Harry Potter is a poison IP.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Why not? Why would they want a less diverse roster, both gender-wise and visually by a design standpoint? It's absolutely possible they're doing this because they just want to.

Not into HP but that's about it. JKR is still alive and actively, enthusiastically causing harm, so it's harder to justify, even if I totally believe someone could like the HP franchise outside of her campaign to be Worst Person. Didn't she straight up come out and say something like "if you're supporting HP financially, then you actively agree with me" or something like that?

I mean, I truly do feel bad for HP fans caught in the middle of this too, like I can't even imagine how awful this has to feel. But it's pretty hard NOT to talk about it at this point. JKR has made it impossible to separate art from the artist anymore, very likely deliberately. This is the legacy she retroactively wants these books to have now. It's beyond horrible for people who enjoyed them, but as long as she's doing this, Harry Potter is a poison IP.
did she actually say that? geez.
I know I certainly can’t separate her art from her. I was going off the franchise a bit before I became aware of this.
oh well I betting not drag this out, I just wanted to say I felt bad for the fans and reminded everyone that Shakespeare is racist

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

That's actually not something she said. The internet would have you believe she did, but it's not. The actual context of what they're referring to is that someone asked her how she sleeps at night knowing she's alienated a huge portion of her fanbase, and her response was that she looks at her royalty checks and finds the pain goes away quickly.

It's another example of the internet making assumptions and twisting what actually happened to make it sound worse.

She herself has said that she puts her money where her mouth is, but she has never claimed that supporting the IP is an endorsement of her views.

Let me put my feelings this way: Both myself and my partner are LGBTQ+ and gender non-conforming. Yet we both love the IP because we are able to seperate the art from the artist, and we take jabs at her when enjoying the IP and such. But we're also both realists who understand that so long as she's given a platform, she will never go away, and that no amount of boycotts or calls to action are going to change her mind or change the fact that she already is one of the richest people on the planet. So rather than get mad about it, we choose to just relax and ignore it because there's nothing that will ever change her.

She's never actually been on record pointing out that she monetarily supports politicians who are transphobic, that's just another assumption the internet made up because of her rhetoric. Frankly speaking, in comparison to other things that other rich corporations and people do (y'all ever looked into the Nestle rabbit hole?), the worst thing we actually have physical evidence of her being is just a ***** on Twitter.

I also find the book burnings and stuff to be completely dramatic, not to mention the bullying and harassment people receive for still enjoying the IP, not even so much that I've received it but because it's just so out of proportion. Like, just let it go, block and move on.

My take is that, at the end of the day, the HP series did a lot of good for a lot of people, and the revisionist history that it was always bad and that people should just hate it now because Rowling is a POS is just way overblown. Rather than waste time talking about the mean things she says or complaining that Hogwarts Legacy sold like hotcakes, maybe you could soend that time and anger actually pushing to help trans people and push with positivity towards LGBT+ positive legislation? But no, most people would rather feel high and mighty as a keyboard warrior, even if it means bullying streamers playing the game who are donating all their streams revenue to trans charities.

If you can't seperate her from her work that's totally fine, but to just relentlessly bring it up every time the IP is mentioned is exhausting. Not everyone who loves the IP, or even supports it monetarily, is a diabolical monster out to get trans people. Hell, the books even instilled a lot of progressiveness towards minorities in their messages.

Hate only keeps pushing the cycle of hate, and I'm just tired of it. If you don't like it and see it mentioned, ignore it and move on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom