• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't a fan of the Valentine's Day skins. They seem like pretty much a downgrade from the Christmas and Halloween events as they're only recolors as far as I can tell.

In other news, I'm actually cautiously optimistic to see how Pickle Rick will be presented in the game. I feel like if he's handled correctly and has enough differences to Rick moveset-wise, he could have enough of a "wtf factor" to get the game moving to more of an upward trajectory. Then again, if he turns out to be a straight-up clone of Rick without any changes aside from hitboxes, it will probably hurt the game further, making the devs seem lazy releasing a character clone during what is already a content drought.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
To be fair I'm sure there's way more players on consoles than on PC but yeah those numbers are concerning.

I still doubt that the game is going to die soon thanks to the huge cult following and dedicated community online, it's still kind of sad to know that the game is just going to disappear one day. This is why I hate free to play live service. I wish they would have use the same concept and just did a buy to play game with a classic season pass.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Reposted from a different thread because I'm dumb :p

I'm just gonna say it

These events are god awful. First time and second time were cute for major holidays, but then immediately afterward taking a Chinese New Year and then Valentine's one is just trying and failing to just keep relevant in conversation, and honestly feels like they're ripping off Overwatch's event model.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Reposted from a different thread because I'm dumb :p

I'm just gonna say it

These events are god awful. First time and second time were cute for major holidays, but then immediately afterward taking a Chinese New Year and then Valentine's one is just trying and failing to just keep relevant in conversation, and honestly feels like they're ripping off Overwatch's event model.
It doesn't help the actual items you earn through grinding are either require so much event currency that playing every second of every day still isn't enough without forking over cash, or are just useless garbage. Everything else, gotta pay up, and that wasn't so bad with the past three events, but the Valentines skins being worth so much money is downright insulting.

I know it's a F2P game and they gotta make money somehow, but this game is crazy predatory about it and it's starting to get really annoying. And at least Overwatch lets you farm premium currency.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
It’s like all the devs care about now are these holiday events.
I doubt it. These are most likely band-aids to keep engagement rolling while they work out whatever behind the scenes tomfoolery they got going on.
This is a particularly flimsy one, so I'm kind of wondering just how bad it's getting over there.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I'm under the suspicion that there's some kind of deep-seated issue with the ongoing development of the game that PFG might not be at liberty or want to disclose. What I find weird is that this event would be perfect to give skins that have actually been requested like wedding Garnet that could help bring at least a little bit of goodwill to the playerbase and maybe stave them over until a future release, but they only released a bunch of glorified recolors.

Not to sound like a doomer, but Multiversus is looking more and more like those other live service games that go through content droughts only to release lackluster events and shut down shortly afterwards

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
every live service game does it. i doubt overwatch was the first

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
You know speaking of Overwatch I really hope that in Multiversus season 3 they change the progression system. I feel like that's the main reason many players left and not the lack of new characters.

I talked about Overwatch because I think 2 really nailed the feeling of progression. The rewards are not really that much better, it's mostly the same stuff (emotes, profile picture, Victory screen, with sometimes skins but they're fairly rare). The difference is how often I'm rewarded. With Overwatch if I play for the evening (say I play around 3 hours) I could easily do from 6 to 8 battle pass tiers. How much tier I would do for the same play time of Multiversus? I'd be lucky to won 1.

The thing with Multiversus progression is that it focus way too much on the daily challenges. Once you do all of them, it feels like there's no point to keep playing. And for a game like this this is bad. So I really hope they change all of that in Season 3 and I would argue that this is way more important than new characters. If it feels impossible for most players to unlock stuff what's even the point of playing?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
You know speaking of Overwatch I really hope that in Multiversus season 3 they change the progression system. I feel like that's the main reason many players left and not the lack of new characters.

I talked about Overwatch because I think 2 really nailed the feeling of progression. The rewards are not really that much better, it's mostly the same stuff (emotes, profile picture, Victory screen, with sometimes skins but they're fairly rare). The difference is how often I'm rewarded. With Overwatch if I play for the evening (say I play around 3 hours) I could easily do from 6 to 8 battle pass tiers. How much tier I would do for the same play time of Multiversus? I'd be lucky to won 1.

The thing with Multiversus progression is that it focus way too much on the daily challenges. Once you do all of them, it feels like there's no point to keep playing. And for a game like this this is bad. So I really hope they change all of that in Season 3 and I would argue that this is way more important than new characters. If it feels impossible for most players to unlock stuff what's even the point of playing?
I think another factor is that a lot of the rewards might as well not exist for some players. The biggest draw for the battle pass is the new skins for the characters, which are only really meaningful if you play that character. Hell, for a lot of characters you can't use the skin you get from the pass, because you don't own the character. It doesn't help that some characters (Reindog, Bugs, the DC cast) tend to get far more than others: I'm a Steven main, and he's never had a skin in either pass (hell, he's only had one total!). I obviously get why, Batman is a much more beloved character than Steven Universe, but it doesn't do much to incentivise me to buy the pass. This is in comparison to, say, Fortnite, where because everything is cosmetic you can use everything you get in the pass without having to learn something new or buy something else. I'm not saying to make every character a clone of eachother, but I think adding a few more universal rewards would work: namely enough gleamium to get a skin and some character tokens.

Faso115

Smash Lord
The decline also has a lot of due with the oversaturation of live service games.

A lot of them are designed with FOMO in mind so they are made grindy on purpose so you drop cash (which that's what whales do). But now with every game using this model, it usually incentivizes people to just play one game and the others get left behind cause you cannot seriously keep up. It's insane how much time live service games require for you to stay competitive.

So now, live services are suffering from a bit of a bubble burst and a dozen have been shutting down due to low player numbers. If the devs can't turn this around, this game will join them pretty soon.

Last edited:

CrashBandicootFan1

Smash Cadet
Here's a fun idea create a moveset for Phoebe Buffay

I would love to see what cool ideas you have for a Moveset for Phoebe Buffay

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Tis was good to be true.

PSASBR, Nick: All-Stars Brawl, this. Any Smash clone is just doomed to fail. Smash has build up to much of a legacy for any to compare.

There goes any chances for Universal or Disney clones. May as well just quit while ahead.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
What assurance do we have the game is going to get shut down anyway? Yeah the drought has been painful and the player count dropping isn't a good sign, but we're acting like they're going to shut the servers down tomorrow. Lets wait for an official word on the status of the game before we start with the doomposting.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
What assurance do we have the game is going to get shut down anyway? Yeah the drought has been painful and the player count dropping isn't a good sign, but we're acting like they're going to shut the servers down tomorrow. Lets wait for an official word on the status of the game before we start with the doomposting.
I think people are going full doomposting mode because Multiversus is following the same patterns of other now-defunct live service games. While many people mistakenly compare it to NASB, Multiversus has a lot more in common with live service games that have shut down such as Spellbreak. MV shares a lot of similar problems including declining player count, skill disparity between new and experienced players which discourages newcomers (which is also emphasized by the lack of players, as more newcomers are being paired up against high skill players and being rolled), an unsustainable content cycle which lead to a content drought, and a lack of community engagement over the state of the game.

While it is a little silly to go in with a straight-up defeatist attitude, there is also a lot of evidence that this game isn't doing so well. And in my opinion, unless this game turns around hard from the direction it's going in Multiversus will be lucky to last until the end of 2023

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Warning Issued

Tis was good to be true.

PSASBR, Nick: All-Stars Brawl, this. Any Smash clone is just doomed to fail. Smash has build up to much of a legacy for any to compare.

There goes any chances for Universal or Disney clones. May as well just quit while ahead.
i'm going to punch you

I think people are going full doomposting mode because Multiversus is following the same patterns of other now-defunct live service games. While many people mistakenly compare it to NASB, Multiversus has a lot more in common with live service games that have shut down such as Spellbreak. MV shares a lot of similar problems including declining player count, skill disparity between new and experienced players which discourages newcomers (which is also emphasized by the lack of players, as more newcomers are being paired up against high skill players and being rolled), an unsustainable content cycle which lead to a content drought, and a lack of community engagement over the state of the game.

While it is a little silly to go in with a straight-up defeatist attitude, there is also a lot of evidence that this game isn't doing so well. And in my opinion, unless this game turns around hard from the direction it's going in Multiversus will be lucky to last until the end of 2023
I'm also losing my sanity because of you

There's an important rule when it comes to Youtuber.

Vailskibum is a ****ing idiot.
Atleast not as bad as The Roundtable, most likely.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
i'm going to punch you

Atleast not as bad as The Roundtable, most likely.
Okay, I just lurk here but like, what is with the hostility towards other users? You may disagree with their opinion, but they do not deserve this treatment.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The doomposting is silly at this point but there's more than enough reason to be concerned for the future of the game. It's absolutely possible to turn things around but that means spending resources to do so and with how cutthroat WBD have been over the past year, it's also possible that they just shut it down.

The key points they need to tackle are:
  • setting up a proper content pipeline to deliver new content at a steady pace, say a character and stage a month
  • stop being so balance patch happy, give things time to breathe and play out, obviously patch blatantly detrimental things but the constant patching is a pain in a genre built on labbing and discovering combos and interactions
  • make the events and passes better, make them less grindy, boost match xp and provide enough stuff for multiple characters, give people a reason to spend (more) time and money on your game
  • fix up the bugs, glitches and issues that have been promised for a while
  • open servers in more regions so more people can play, half the world's population is shut out because most Asian territories, including China and India, can't even play the game
  • communication needs to be vastly better, set roadmaps and goals so people have an idea of what to expect instead of leaving us with little outside of posts about patches or event items
  • add more casual aspects, not everyone wants to go online and get washed by more hardcore players because it isn't fun, there's more than comp play to consider, add items and fun wacky modes

This really comes down to the Devs getting themselves together, maybe some extra help from other teams and for WB to invest in giving them a chance. But it's not hard to see the concerns in a climate where most live services that aren't Fortnite or Apex or any of the other huge games are struggling and/or getting shut down. The doomposting is still obnoxious however. Save it for if/when they announce a shutdown and even then, save the hyperbole.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Okay, I just lurk here but like, what is with the hostility towards other users? You may disagree with their opinion, but they do not deserve this treatment.
i'm just struggling with the drama going around with the game whenever i come around to it and besides i kinda feel like i had the need to express some negative emotion here yet fully aware that it's not allowed on here anymore.

Plus, i haven't gotten any good sleep lately which makes it difficult to repress those emotions but i am not a bad person.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Look, I'm not out to attack this game or anything. But just as it's silly to go full doomer-mode, it's also silly to not acknowledge that there are very concerning issues with this game.

Of course I want the game to succeed, but so far none of the decisions that the devs (or WB execs for that matter) made over the last couple months have given me reason to believe that the game will last. If Multiversus does manage to turn around I will gladly eat my words on a silver platter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I agree going with live service was probably a bad decision but thing is.. this game likely doesn't exist without that model. WB probably wanted a live service hit like Brawlhala

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I agree going with live service was probably a bad decision but thing is.. this game likely doesn't exist without that model. WB probably wanted a live service hit like Brawlhala
Wasn't it because of the demand for UI Shaggy in MK11?

And WB probably didn't want to see Shaggy on the receiving end of various fatalities, so he fights in a completely different game.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Wasn't it because of the demand for UI Shaggy in MK11?

And WB probably didn't want to see Shaggy on the receiving end of various fatalities, so he fights in a completely different game.
Yeah. According to the original leaker that's the story of how Multiversus came to be.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Another award won
This is pretty awkward considering the drought but I look at the other fighting games from last year and there isn't exactly anything else I would, in good conscience, give a Best Fighting Game award to. It was a dire year with broken online, awful netcode and just generally niche titles that never had a shot.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
A tad late, but please try to keep emotions in check when responding to each other. It's fine to express disappointment or frustration at a News story, just don't be 'shooting the messenger' as you're venting.

All of those years of Ed Boon pouring cold water on the video game community, all to be undone by an investor video. I hope he's more relieved than angry now that the cat is out of the bag. I'm not sure if this bodes well for Mortal Kombat characters showing up in Multiverus or if the same speculative arguments still hold.

Top Bottom