• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The issue with you comes down to things like this. You literally admitted a sentence before this that it's a regional thing as far as what it refers to. There's no "actually" about it. You aren't any more or less correct than someone calling the "tartan" pattern plaid, and yet you write as though you think you are. You can't force your way upon the world at large.
that's because it's not actually an Americanisation. the regional aspect is that some of you started using the word wrong. and more to the point your assertion was that nobody used it outside of britian which just isn't true.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
God it still pains me when people suggest the Eds as a trio lol. They're all so incredibly different from each other that they should be three separate characters.

that's because it's not actually an Americanisation. the regional aspect is that some of you started using the word wrong. and more to the point your assertion was that nobody used it outside of britian which just isn't true.
Except it's not "wrong." Language is ever-changing. Too bad for you! Death to prescriptivism.

Done with this now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Flaming/Harassment
God it still pains me when people suggest the Eds as a trio lol. They're all so incredibly different from each other that they should be three separate characters.

Except it's not "wrong." Language is ever-changing. Too bad for you! Death to prescriptivism.

Done with this now.
You can be done with it all you want You were still wrong on every count

Oh don’t force your culture onto others but language is ever changing so we can force ours on you.

hypocrite

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Praying the galactic or dias de los muertos shops have character able to be bought with event tokens, i'm only missing 4 characters for a full roster (+ Nubia who i'm getting as soon as she is available for shards)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Because it brings something new and exciting than just the same old same old?
Your entire argument dies here in your first sentence. Having something new does not inherently make something good.

2v2s in their current state do not work. Ask anyone who plays competitive. 1v1 is the preferred format and it's by a long shot. And no, the moveset are not cohesive, nor are many of them actually good. Why are Finn's side specials just shoulder charges? Jake's down special is basically useless. Moves that have no business having a charged version have one that still basically never gets used.

The game doesn't need ****ty, half baked MOBA wannabe bull**** in order to have mechanical depth, if the moveset were more complete than they wouldn't need it. But no, the devs half ass it time and time again. They're getting better by timing down all of the unneeded status effect crap with newer characters but no, no one should have to read an entire goddamn page of statuses before jumping into the game. Platfighters are supposed to be accessible. Then there the fact that Weaken as an effect is so goddamn powerful AND overused amongst the cast. It should straight up just be removed, as the characters who use it would be just as effective without it. Same with Harley's confetti, it does nothing to amplify her strengths, it's just half baked and tacked on.

A universal shielding option would allow for characters who don't have the best defensive tools (like Gizmo) to actually fight on a more fair term against characters like Superman and Adam who can shrug off just about anything thrown at them. Right now their only option is run away, and that's not fun for the person fighting Gizmo or for Gizmo.

Your entire argument dies here in your first sentence. Having something new does not inherently make something good.

2v2s in their current state do not work. Ask anyone who plays competitive. 1v1 is the preferred format and it's by a long shot. And no, the moveset are not cohesive, nor are many of them actually good. Why are Finn's side specials just shoulder charges? Jake's down special is basically useless. Moves that have no business having a charged version have one that still basically never gets used.

The game doesn't need ty, half baked MOBA wannabe bull in order to have mechanical depth, if the moveset were more complete than they wouldn't need it. But no, the devs half ass it time and time again. They're getting better by timing down all of the unneeded status effect crap with newer characters but no, no one should have to read an entire goddamn page of statuses before jumping into the game. Platfighters are supposed to be accessible. Then there the fact that Weaken as an effect is so goddamn powerful AND overused amongst the cast. It should straight up just be removed, as the characters who use it would be just as effective without it. Same with Harley's confetti, it does nothing to amplify her strengths, it's just half baked and tacked on.

A universal shielding option would allow for characters who don't have the best defensive tools (like Gizmo) to actually fight on a more fair term against characters like Superman and Adam who can shrug off just about anything thrown at them. Right now their only option is run away, and that's not fun for the person fighting Gizmo or for Gizmo.
You don't decide whether something's good or not lol. Your entire argument is flawed from the getgo since you're trying to assert your personal views as some fact, you push Brawlhalla as a terrible game yet it's more successful than any other plat fighter even more than any other higher F2P plat fighter. Rivals 1 and Brawlhalla have their appeal and they don't use Smash mechanics. MVS itself garnered all kinds of players and audiences that find the core gameplay ideas fine. Clearly new things are good and strong kits have proven to work without shields and Smash mechanics, as proven by other plat fighters. You hate Brawlhalla so much, but it's successful with a booming competitive community, a fact you're unable to deny. Lots of people, including myself, find Multiversus' departure good and refreshing. This entire argument is subjective and you asked for why I would find the new stuff good. Because it is good, I like it and it's much more refreshing than being a Melee wannabe in a genre of overused Melee plagiarism. Dodges are more interesting and makes movement even more valuable than the standard block and grab meta. If I wanted another block and grab meta game I'd play any other plat fighter.

Doubles is inherently a less played and popular. format than singles. That's the case in Smash, NASB and other games, your arguments fall flat to try and attribute it to an MVS specific issue. Lots of people don't wanna follow multiple characters on a screen. No matter how hard you argue about it, they're not shoehorning in team attack lol. This isn't Smash. 2v2 absolutely works fine, the consistent complaints from the competitive players have always been the top tiers and glitches. 2v2 still gets tourneys and lots of people who prefer it over 1v1. Even among people who don't play the game often like Coney consider 2v2 the "real and more worthwhile mode". Yes, the movesets are cohesive, unique and fun. Jake's special being useless is a balance issue than a move issue too with it still having uses as it nullifies projects and reflects them. And complaining over Finn's shoulder attacks continue to reek of bad faith criticism. You're nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

Crazy how those status effect characters you hate so much are still better designed than several of Smash Bros' disaster of characters that can spam much easier than MVS, yet for some reason, you try so hard to single out MVS. Young Link alone spams more than any MVS character combined. And like, that's your opinion, I disagree with your rabid hate toward "moba wannabe" bull**** and it's still better than lazily coping Smash characters. Better to bring new ideas to the table especially when MOBAs are successful and a lot of its ideas have worked fine for MVS. Makes stuff like Gizmo's arrow more balanced than Smash's ****ty and archaic approach to Link's arrows anyhow lmao. You not thinking they're complete just feels like you're biased to Smash and unable to judge the game for its own merits. The movesets work perfectly fine for what MVS is and your proof of movesets not being complete is extremely weak. Jabversus happens because jabs are overtuned not because the movesets suck. Multiversus isn't becoming a Smash knockoff nor is it going to try and copy notoriously failed discord fighters like NASB. If you want Smash, go play Smash than forcing other unique games to be like it.

Shields should be a perk. Mirrorman put it best, the issue isn't that the game needs another defensive option, they just need to make the current systems they have actually work. Forcing in universal shields is lazy garbage that's out of place with MVS and identity as a game. Also... your take on Gizmo is silly when he's widely regarded as a powerful character that gives a lot of the roster serious trouble. Him and his frame 3 car lmaooo.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Personally, my favorite mode in Multiversus is Unranked 2v2.

On a side note, my favorite online mode in Smash was For Fun 2v2 in Smash 4. The absence of this mode in Ultimate has resulted in me barely using its online at all.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Interesting. That's very interesting, I wouldn't have expected those two to potentially get priority in newcomers.
Tbf there was a goonies string that never quite went anywhere so it doesn't mean they're coming right away

Garden wall is about to have a big anniversary and Primal has a new season soon so they do make sense as tie ins. Franchise string doesn't mean specifically character though

Uodate: they're for stages

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You don't decide whether something's good or not lol. Your entire argument is flawed from the getgo since you're trying to assert your personal views as some fact, you push Brawlhalla as a terrible game yet it's more successful than any other plat fighter even more than any other higher F2P plat fighter. Rivals 1 and Brawlhalla have their appeal and they don't use Smash mechanics. MVS itself garnered all kinds of players and audiences that find the core gameplay ideas fine. Clearly new things are good and strong kits have proven to work without shields and Smash mechanics, as proven by other plat fighters. You hate Brawlhalla so much, but it's successful with a booming competitive community, a fact you're unable to deny. Lots of people, including myself, find Multiversus' departure good and refreshing. This entire argument is subjective and you asked for why I would find the new stuff good. Because it is good, I like it and it's much more refreshing than being a Melee wannabe in a genre of overused Melee plagiarism. Dodges are more interesting and makes movement even more valuable than the standard block and grab meta. If I wanted another block and grab meta game I'd play any other plat fighter.

Doubles is inherently a less played and popular. format than singles. That's the case in Smash, NASB and other games, your arguments fall flat to try and attribute it to an MVS specific issue. Lots of people don't wanna follow multiple characters on a screen. No matter how hard you argue about it, they're not shoehorning in team attack lol. This isn't Smash. 2v2 absolutely works fine, the consistent complaints from the competitive players have always been the top tiers and glitches. 2v2 still gets tourneys and lots of people who prefer it over 1v1. Even among people who don't play the game often like Coney consider 2v2 the "real and more worthwhile mode". Yes, the movesets are cohesive, unique and fun. Jake's special being useless is a balance issue than a move issue too with it still having uses as it nullifies projects and reflects them. And complaining over Finn's shoulder attacks continue to reek of bad faith criticism. You're nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

Crazy how those status effect characters you hate so much are still better designed than several of Smash Bros' disaster of characters that can spam much easier than MVS, yet for some reason, you try so hard to single out MVS. Young Link alone spams more than any MVS character combined. And like, that's your opinion, I disagree with your rabid hate toward "moba wannabe" bull**** and it's still better than lazily coping Smash characters. Better to bring new ideas to the table especially when MOBAs are successful and a lot of its ideas have worked fine for MVS. Makes stuff like Gizmo's arrow more balanced than Smash's ****ty and archaic approach to Link's arrows anyhow lmao. You not thinking they're complete just feels like you're biased to Smash and unable to judge the game for its own merits. The movesets work perfectly fine for what MVS is and your proof of movesets not being complete is extremely weak. Jabversus happens because jabs are overtuned not because the movesets suck. Multiversus isn't becoming a Smash knockoff nor is it going to try and copy notoriously failed discord fighters like NASB. If you want Smash, go play Smash than forcing other unique games to be like it.

Shields should be a perk. Mirrorman put it best, the issue isn't that the game needs another defensive option, they just need to make the current systems they have actually work. Forcing in universal shields is lazy garbage that's out of place with MVS and identity as a game. Also... your take on Gizmo is silly when he's widely regarded as a powerful character that gives a lot of the roster serious trouble. Him and his frame 3 car lmaooo.
Having one great option does not make you a good character. He still has a notorious difficult time with characters like Superman and Wonder Woman.

Brawlhalla is a **** example of your point, considering it also only has as big of a playerbase because it's free to play and does so many collaborations. It's the Fortnite phenomenon in the platfighter space.

Explain to me, since you like it so much, when did Harley's confetti ever contribute to getting a kill on you? Young Link's arrows are infinitely less obnoxious than "Shaggy hit me twice so my weight class went down to midweight from heavy." MOBA elements in a fighting game aren't an inherently bad idea, I think Project L should try and incorporate them, but the way MvS does it isn't the way. It overuses them. It's trying to replace giving the characters' complete kits by giving mechanics that are widely unbalanced - some are so niche and useless they might as well not be there where as others are objectively overpowered. You can't do that. Mechanics should supplement a complete kit. This isn't MK10 with three distinct styles for every character, it's effects that change 1-2 moves tops with perks, and those options then tend to become overpowered and unfun to fight (or moreso than already). There's no power balance because the movesets are too simple.

More options is not and never will be a bad thing. Finn had his stupid zero-to-death for months because all of his power was put in three moves, leading to an infinitely spammy playstyle, and that's the problem with every pre-relaunch character. Gizmo and Stripe were better, but everything that came before need a full rework, badly because they weren't built with the current style of the game in mind - an exact sentiment I share about Overwatch 1's heroes in the OW2 environment.

The dev team is too inexperienced to make a functional platform fighter and they're too obsessed with memes and trying to be "quirky and different" than making a game that's competitively deep. They should have built the fundamental system before adding the fancy bells and whistles and it's clear they didn't.

The reason that shielding (or at minimum another defensive option) absolutely is needed is that for every option a character has there needs to be an option to attempt to counteract it. No one likes dealing with something they literally have no defense for. Dodging is just not strong enough on it's own to counteract every type of move. When even prop players cannot determine counterplay for some of the moves in your game, that tells you you need to add it. And it has to be a universal option for every character to make the playing field even.

Last edited:

PersonAngelo53

Smash Rookie
Anyone having issues with the game after the update? Every time I try to play Nubia she doesn’t show in the game, it only shows the opponent by himself. And finding matches is very difficult now for whatever reason.

ivanlerma

Smash Master
other updates

Aquaman and the Witch have updates, mainly translation stuff. There's a gumball guardian boss coming this season
Actually the gumball guardians are bosses in the recent rift mode, but they didn't get the voices for them(:crying:)

Also, is it just something new or is superman's down special attack bugging a bit? everytime i activate it he stops in the air for a split second before he smashes into the ground though it makes up for a choice to either try another attack or proceed with the down special.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
other updates

Aquaman and the Witch have updates, mainly translation stuff. There's a gumball guardian boss coming this season
This is exciting but I genuinely don't think either of these character should be heading a Battle Pass. The former is the better call but someone like Raven would be a smarter pick imo

Having one great option does not make you a good character. He still has a notorious difficult time with characters like Superman and Wonder Woman.

Brawlhalla is a **** example of your point, considering it also only has as big of a playerbase because it's free to play and does so many collaborations. It's the Fortnite phenomenon in the platfighter space.

Explain to me, since you like it so much, when did Harley's confetti ever contribute to getting a kill on you? Young Link's arrows are infinitely less obnoxious than "Shaggy hit me twice so my weight class went down to midweight from heavy." MOBA elements in a fighting game aren't an inherently bad idea, I think Project L should try and incorporate them, but the way MvS does it isn't the way. It overuses them. It's trying to replace giving the characters' complete kits by giving mechanics that are widely unbalanced - some are so niche and useless they might as well not be there where as others are objectively overpowered. You can't do that. Mechanics should supplement a complete kit. This isn't MK10 with three distinct styles for every character, it's effects that change 1-2 moves tops with perks, and those options then tend to become overpowered and unfun to fight (or moreso than already). There's no power balance because the movesets are too simple.

More options is not and never will be a bad thing. Finn had his stupid zero-to-death for months because all of his power was put in three moves, leading to an infinitely spammy playstyle, and that's the problem with every pre-relaunch character. Gizmo and Stripe were better, but everything that came before need a full rework, badly because they weren't built with the current style of the game in mind - an exact sentiment I share about Overwatch 1's heroes in the OW2 environment.

The dev team is too inexperienced to make a functional platform fighter and they're too obsessed with memes and trying to be "quirky and different" than making a game that's competitively deep. They should have built the fundamental system before adding the fancy bells and whistles and it's clear they didn't.

The reason that shielding (or at minimum another defensive option) absolutely is needed is that for every option a character has there needs to be an option to attempt to counteract it. No one likes dealing with something they literally have no defense for. Dodging is just not strong enough on it's own to counteract every type of move. When even prop players cannot determine counterplay for some of the moves in your game, that tells you you need to add it. And it has to be a universal option for every character to make the playing field even.
Gizmo is literally a great character. There's always going to be bad matchups, blaming it on lack of shields is stupid and naive. Shields doesn't change that if Gizmo somehow has trouble with WW and Superman, then that's how it is with how kits interact. Smash has characters stomp loads of characters in matchups now and again.

Brawlhalla shows that stuff you personally don't find appealing has an appeal and can be good in its own right even if it isn't your thing. Same thing for MVS. Multiversus does not need to be Smash nor should it be. All that does is alienate the people that actually LIKE the game day 1 since beta in favor of Smash players that willingly abandon NASB 2 and countless other games and will do so again. **** that.

It contributes often, usually in an extra kind of way. Harley's use it to put further pressure on you in the air especially. Her kit smoothly stacks the status bonuses. A status effect that sends you up from an up move writes itself. It's harmless and just adds flair and character to the game. Young Link's core design is rotten and unbearable, your downplay of it is absurd. Unlimited fire arrows that come out fast alongside an already lagless kit is worse than anything in MVS. It'd be like if Gizmo's arrows didn't have any limit. You can't excuse worse cases of spam in Smash while putting down MVS for "spammy moves and characters". It destroys your entire point and just further exposes how biased you are for Smash.

The movesets being simple is best for MVS as a game and most sustainable. It doesn't need to be as complex as other plat fighters. Prefer other games all you want, but MVS isn't Smash and you have to accept that instead of pushing to gut anything Multiversus does that you personally don't agree with. The only reason characters and content are able to come out for this game is because it does its own thing than trying to shoehorn a million moves.

More options are good when it's their existing moves getting altered and changed. Your idea of "more" for the sake of it is dumb as hell and objectively not sustainable for the game. You people misuse the term "rework" these characters do not need reworks. All they need is for the rest of their kit to be buffed and get certain angles/hitboxes altered to work, the movesets are inherently fine but balancing has been rushed a bit too much with some moves being overtuned in knockback. There needs to be more knockback scaling and angles to be tweaked with further.

Multiversus is a simpler game and that's okay. Especially when, again, it's NOT Smash lmao. The only thing they need to fix regarding "depth" is making movement feel good since it's too sticky and sluggish in areas. That's it. Sorry but some games are meant to be simpler than others and demanding they recreate your personal enjoyment from completely different games is unreasonable and stupid. Apparently you can't rationalize this: Multiversus is a live service game. It needs a constant and active flow of content and players if it wants to suvive. And trying to force itself into Smash and other plat fighter's niche is NOT healthy for the game! Rivals and Smash already has your ideal gameplay system, forcing MVS into it just makes it unable to stand out if it can even release content steadily and fast anymore. Trying to make itself follow the direction of flopped discord games such as NASB 2 is terrible. Multiversus managed to get so many players and unique audiences because it's simplicity works in its favor and makes it more approachable for many. MOBA stuff is harmless and doesn't bother the vast majority even folks that one and done'd the game.

Shields are not needed as anything other than a perk. Your reasoning doesn't cut it, it just forces MVS to be something it wasn't meant to be nor was designed around YEARS into the Multiversus concept. Pro players have actively determined counterplay so your point is just dishonest, the only issues they have is hitboxes not communicating properly, making moves land where they shouldn't. Movement not being as clean as it was in beta and countless bugs hurting the game further. If you want shields so bad, then you can use the shield perk. But don't punish the core audience that are willing to stick with MVS more than any other player ever will. If I wanted a defensive game with shields, I'd play Smash or any other game with blocks and grabs.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Anyone having issues with the game after the update? Every time I try to play Nubia she doesn’t show in the game, it only shows the opponent by himself. And finding matches is very difficult now for whatever reason.
Xbox players can’t even access the game right now due to a bug.
Speaking of bugs, Matrix Code Superman is broken. If you look at another character then swap back, well…

IMG_7880.png

Found on Twitter by the way.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Gizmo is literally a great character. There's always going to be bad matchups, blaming it on lack of shields is stupid and naive. Shields doesn't change that if Gizmo somehow has trouble with WW and Superman, then that's how it is with how kits interact. Smash has characters stomp loads of characters in matchups now and again.

Brawlhalla shows that stuff you personally don't find appealing has an appeal and can be good in its own right even if it isn't your thing. Same thing for MVS. Multiversus does not need to be Smash nor should it be. All that does is alienate the people that actually LIKE the game day 1 since beta in favor of Smash players that willingly abandon NASB 2 and countless other games and will do so again. **** that.

It contributes often, usually in an extra kind of way. Harley's use it to put further pressure on you in the air especially. Her kit smoothly stacks the status bonuses. A status effect that sends you up from an up move writes itself. It's harmless and just adds flair and character to the game. Young Link's core design is rotten and unbearable, your downplay of it is absurd. Unlimited fire arrows that come out fast alongside an already lagless kit is worse than anything in MVS. It'd be like if Gizmo's arrows didn't have any limit. You can't excuse worse cases of spam in Smash while putting down MVS for "spammy moves and characters". It destroys your entire point and just further exposes how biased you are for Smash.

The movesets being simple is best for MVS as a game and most sustainable. It doesn't need to be as complex as other plat fighters. Prefer other games all you want, but MVS isn't Smash and you have to accept that instead of pushing to gut anything Multiversus does that you personally don't agree with. The only reason characters and content are able to come out for this game is because it does its own thing than trying to shoehorn a million moves.

More options are good when it's their existing moves getting altered and changed. Your idea of "more" for the sake of it is dumb as hell and objectively not sustainable for the game. You people misuse the term "rework" these characters do not need reworks. All they need is for the rest of their kit to be buffed and get certain angles/hitboxes altered to work, the movesets are inherently fine but balancing has been rushed a bit too much with some moves being overtuned in knockback. There needs to be more knockback scaling and angles to be tweaked with further.

Multiversus is a simpler game and that's okay. Especially when, again, it's NOT Smash lmao. The only thing they need to fix regarding "depth" is making movement feel good since it's too sticky and sluggish in areas. That's it. Sorry but some games are meant to be simpler than others and demanding they recreate your personal enjoyment from completely different games is unreasonable and stupid. Apparently you can't rationalize this: Multiversus is a live service game. It needs a constant and active flow of content and players if it wants to suvive. And trying to force itself into Smash and other plat fighter's niche is NOT healthy for the game! Rivals and Smash already has your ideal gameplay system, forcing MVS into it just makes it unable to stand out if it can even release content steadily and fast anymore. Trying to make itself follow the direction of flopped discord games such as NASB 2 is terrible. Multiversus managed to get so many players and unique audiences because it's simplicity works in its favor and makes it more approachable for many. MOBA stuff is harmless and doesn't bother the vast majority even folks that one and done'd the game.
The fact you complain about a mid tier tells me you don't know what you're talking about.

"You people?" The **** is that supposed to mean? I'm not asking for the game to be Melee, I'm asking for it to be ****ing functional and not a mobile game shoved onto console. It's not the fault of the competitive community that casuals don't understand the inner complexities that make the action so exhilarating. I'm not asking for it to be exactly like Smash - I'm saying it should take the parts that work and build onto that. You don't get innovation by taking away things. All you get is an inferior product.

The devs literally have worked on MOBAs before - we know this - and that influence is bleeding into the game to its detriment. MOBAs are slower paced games that platfighters and the two mix like oil and water.

Everything you're saying just tells me you have no understanding on what makes platfighters fun. Debuffs work in Overwatch because there's a small amount of them and the kit has a reason for them to be there. There is absolutely no reason Harley needs confetti when the rest of her kit is perfectly potent for her gameplan. There's no reason Shaggy needs to change people's knockback calculation. It's a mess of too many cooks in the kitchen that make for a waste of effort.

The reason that characters like Young Link aren't as obnoxious as you make them out to be is that Smash has multiple defensive options, the primary being game speed in general. Reaction time is faster and ways to start combos are far more diverse due to the breadth of options. Half the cast in MvS has twelve unique moves tops, not that you'll see more than 6 of them being used in a match. It's boring to play, it's boring to watch, and it's sluggish and gross.

The fact this game wants wall bouncing to be a mechanic is ridiculous because it takes away player agency - the cardinal sin of a video game. Wall bounces are minimized in real fighting games and teching is a universal option in many of them, just as it should be here.

They made this game the dumbed down preschooler button mash fest to try to make a buck and for no other reason and it pisses me off that the meat riders will defend every ****ty decision devs make. I want a platform fighters, not movement so sluggish and hit boxes so massive it makes FromSoft blush.

And for the record, I don't think Ultimate is the best from the standpoint of a comp player - I think it's NASB2.

This game has such a great premise and it's being wasted by a dev team that should just go back to making cheap mobile MOBA games. Give it to a dev team who will actually let their be freedom of expression in play style and recognize what does and doesn't work.

Multiversus can be fun and has it's fun attributes, but being fun and a competent fighting game are not the same.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The fact you complain about a mid tier tells me you don't know what you're talking about.

"You people?" The **** is that supposed to mean? I'm not asking for the game to be Melee, I'm asking for it to be ****ing functional and not a mobile game shoved onto console. It's not the fault of the competitive community that casuals don't understand the inner complexities that make the action so exhilarating. I'm not asking for it to be exactly like Smash - I'm saying it should take the parts that work and build onto that. You don't get innovation by taking away things. All you get is an inferior product.

The devs literally have worked on MOBAs before - we know this - and that influence is bleeding into the game to its detriment. MOBAs are slower paced games that platfighters and the two mix like oil and water.

Just say you suck at platform fighters at this point because everything you're saying just tells me you have no understanding on what makes them fun. Debuffs work in Overwatch because there's a small amount of them and the kit has a reason for them to be there. There is absolutely no reason Harley needs confetti when the rest of her kit is perfectly potent for her gameplan. There's no reason Shaggy needs to change people's knockback calculation. It's a mess of too many cooks in the kitchen that make for a waste of effort.

The reason that characters like Young Link aren't as obnoxious as you make them out to be is that Smash has multiple defensive options, the primary being game speed in general. Reaction time is faster and ways to start combos are far more diverse due to the breadth of options. Half the cast in MvS has twelve unique moves tops, not that you'll see more than 6 of them being used in a match. It's boring to play, it's boring to watch, and it's sluggish and gross.

The fact this game wants wall bouncing to be a mechanic is ridiculous because it takes away player agency - the cardinal sin of a video game. Wall bounces are minimized in real fighting games and teching is a universal option in many of them, just as it should be here.

They made this game the dumbed down preschooler button mash fest to try to make a buck and for no other reason and it pisses me off that the meat riders will defend every ****ty decision devs make. I want a platform fighters, not movement so sluggish and hit boxes so massive it makes FromSoft blush.

And for the record, I don't think Ultimate is the best from the standpoint of a comp player - I think it's NASB2.

This game has such a great premise and it's being wasted by a dev team that should just go back to making cheap mobile MOBA games. Give it to a dev team who will actually let their be freedom of expression in play style and recognize what does and doesn't work.

You wouldn't survive a second in Street Fighter or Tekken, you'd complain that there aren't enough walls to cling to.
It's not really a good look to dismiss pretty valid concerns about genre homogenization in an ad hominem-laden rant. It's been a pretty recurring thing in this thread that you can't seem to state your opinion without being an ass about it.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Speaking of bugs, Matrix Code Superman is broken. If you look at another character then swap back, well…

View attachment 395250

Yeah, it also works with Variant skins as you can see with the Tune Squad colors.

I looked at the Matrix code with Superman's skins and Regeneration Superman's colors work nicely with regular Superman. That said, Batman shirt Superman colors getting mixed up around looks horrifying.

PersonAngelo53

Smash Rookie

View attachment 395250

Ohh for me the issue was on Steam. But is fine now thankfully. Seems like the issue had to do with my update not coming up as soon as other people. Tho it was weird cause I could still buy Nubia etc just not use her and I couldn’t see the new mode and rift without the update.

Just say you suck at platform fighters at this point because everything you're saying just tells me you have no understanding on what makes them fun. Debuffs work in Overwatch because there's a small amount of them and the kit has a reason for them to be there. There is absolutely no reason Harley needs confetti when the rest of her kit is perfectly potent for her gameplan. There's no reason Shaggy needs to change people's knockback calculation. It's a mess of too many cooks in the kitchen that make for a waste of effort.

Multiversus can be fun and has it's fun attributes, but being fun and a competent fighting game are not the same.
A lot of people think Gizmo is high or top tier. There you go again trying to insist your personal views is fact again. Your "honest mid tier" struggling in certain matchups doesn't magically mean shields are needed or that it'll make Gizmo magically not struggle against Supes and WW. Smash having the "epic defense options" doesn't stop a lot of characters from getting **** stomped by Palutena. Or Aegis invalidating 80% of the roster.

You don't innovate by just copying ****, MVS shined in its own spotlight since beta for doing its own things and gained players that never touched other platform fighters not even Smash Bros. Brawlhalla and Rivals 1 already debunk your idea that it needs to do Smash's way to be successful. You have made no argument that proved otherwise, only unhinged rants.

Delude yourself by thinking anyone who doesn't share your opinions just "suck at plat fighters" if it makes you feel better haha. I liked NASB, Slap City and other stuff just fine, doesn't mean I want every game in the genre to play like them lmao. I'm bored of some of the priorities plat fighters do and I find MVS a refreshing breath of air to enjoy for myself while I engage other stuff on the side. That "waste of effort" is already there and doesn't harm the game by existing. Sometimes your idea of needless things are a non issue if they aren't hurting nor over centralizing the gameplay. You thinking it shouldn't exist just because you don't care for it is a terrible argument. Nor is status effects like those hurting the game. It gives spice and more ways to interact, no matter how subtle. The only ones that hurt the game are effects that are over tuned like weakened. Removing every MOBA element and effect is asinine. You believing it can't mix is just you being narrow minded and accustomed to the status quo.

More like you're willing to excuse obnoxious design that countless comp Smash players hate simply because you're attached to Smash. And the fact that you're complaining that a game like Multiversus doesn't have as much moves as Smash reeks of bad faith criticism. Lots of fighting games have less buttons and options than other fighting games. MVS' design works in its benefit and is the only way for it to last.

You clearly don't understand a thing about Multiversus and how it's able to have any kind of future. Instead just being upset that it isn't what you like best. MVS would have no future if they bloated their work to make characters and content in a format that demands constant attention to keep players interested. All complaints and no solutions. Universal shields do not fix that game, all it does is make the workload and effort required unsustainable while removing MVS' identity and chasing away a lot of core players that'd support this game more than Smash players ever will! Universal shields will do nothing but bring more problems than solutions, a massive increase in a workloads since now grabs and other stuff have to be in the picture, etc. etc.

The only thing that holds MVS back from being a competent fighting game is certain things like hitboxes not matching the animation and crazy bugs. It doesn't need blocking, grabbing, or any universal mechanics like those. Especially when, again, Brawlhalla has a mega competent competitive scene. People had made more money off competing in it than Smash Bros tourneys at least looool. Rivals 1 too is a competent competitive game.

And what you think "should" be there won't be there, because frankly, that's stupid. Wall bouncing in MVS is a non issue. Wall bounces in the legal stage line up primarily happen from being in disadvantage and adds further ways to punish someone for being offstage. It's unique, fun and is just one of many ways to establish and enforce disadvantage state.

Not going to happen, you already have your "ideal platform fighter", stop getting mad over different games doing different ****. If you want universal shields so bad, stick to NASB 2. MVS deserves better than forcibly becoming a Smash knockoff and destroying any reason to play this game over NASB, Rivals, Smash, etc. If they followed your ideas this game wouldn't have made it out of beta.

LMAO! I enjoy Street Fighter and Tekken, very fun to play and especially watch. I think they're great games and I respect that the fighting game genre is more willing to branch out and take risks more than the ****ty platform fighter genre EVER does. Especially since it has players like you clamoring for MVS to push in team attack of all things because god forbid a game have a system that isn't like your ideal Smash Bros system.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, I still wish this was a 3 character season but... WOW! Nubia is so fun, she's easily the best designed character in the game from a gameplay perspective. I'm so glad they didn't go through with her being a skin.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Given the focus she's given in the comic, i think Witch can head a BP. But if there are other characters available i'll much rather they take that spot

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Gonna be honest Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming and Fields - Ultimate's Great Fields - Ultimate's Great

Both of you act like your opinions are fact and get too heated too easily. You both have valid points but are seemingly too heated to actually focus on those or actually discuss how to approach them.

If you wanna keep going at it, at least take it to DMs. At this point both your posts have devolved into squabbling over personal preference.

Instead of "nuh uh"ing each other, maybe discuss what changes or level of changes you find acceptable.

You're on opposite ends of the spectrum but you're both a part of the MVS audience (presumably.) Finding a middle ground between players like you is exactly what the devs need to try and accomplish.

Gonna be honest Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming and Fields - Ultimate's Great Fields - Ultimate's Great

Both of you act like your opinions are fact and get too heated too easily. You both have valid points but are seemingly too heated to actually focus on those or actually discuss how to approach them.

If you wanna keep going at it, at least take it to DMs. At this point both your posts have devolved into squabbling over personal preference.

Instead of "nuh uh"ing each other, maybe discuss what changes or level of changes you find acceptable.

You're on opposite ends of the spectrum but you're both a part of the MVS audience (presumably.) Finding a middle ground between players like you is exactly what the devs need to try and accomplish.
My bad. I'll try to stop derailing the thread.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Not gonna lie, I still wish this was a 3 character season but... WOW! Nubia is so fun, she's easily the best designed character in the game from a gameplay perspective. I'm so glad they didn't go through with her being a skin.
Cool to see some positivity on her. Haven't tried her yet, but I also think the moveset looks pretty clean, and the animation are sick too.

As for datamine stuff Seeing Primal stuff is pretty hype, although I wish it was more than a stage and hopefully they'll consider a character. As for character, can't wait to finally see Raven next season, feels like we've been waiting for ages for her, same for Wicked witch in 2 seasons.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Nubia seems pretty fun from the small amount I’ve gotten to play as her in Rifts, but I’ll have to wait until she’s fully out to give my proper opinion.
I think it’s a little disappointing that the whip function of her spear isn’t explored besides neutral B, but I can see how that‘d be hard to balance.

Random side note, but they stealth updated the Rick Prime skin. He now has a unique selection screen animation and a custom pistol for neutral attack, instead of stealing SEAL Team Rick’s.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Cool to see some positivity on her. Haven't tried her yet, but I also think the moveset looks pretty clean, and the animation are sick too.
Nubia seems pretty fun from the small amount I’ve gotten to play as her in Rifts, but I’ll have to wait until she’s fully out to give my proper opinion.
I think it’s a little disappointing that the whip function of her spear isn’t explored besides neutral B, but I can see how that‘d be hard to balance.
Haven't gotten the chance to try her, but I had a pretty good gut feeling she'd be cool. They wouldn't have just made her her own character for the sake of it like people seemed to think.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

I'm willing to bury the hatchet about it. Fields - Ultimate's Great Fields - Ultimate's Great

Sorry if I came off negatively or too strong. I'm just passionate about platfighters and there are many, many flaws that I think are holding this game back from being something great. And as negative as I am, I don't want to be - I want to enjoy it as a healthy alternative to Smash. As I mentioned there are some things I like about it - and I don't think the MOBA elements are a net negative; just that they are too prioritized for the amount of impact and are horrendously balanced. That and I just don't think you can balance a game like this around 2v2. There will always be a combination that is too potent for its own good, and the lack of team damage only accentuates that. I'll also give credit where it's due - all the post-launch characters (sans BG) are well designed - though Jack was way overtuned for sure. But they were built with the game's newer engine and core in mind, so of course they would thrive here.

But can you honestly tell me, genuinely and honestly, that you've never got dogpiled by two people the second your ally got knocked out? It's not fun, it's degenerate, and that's just how 2v2 works because there's nothing punishing players from being degenerate like that.

Let's be real here tho - if your faith in the devs isn't misplaced then if they add shields there will be ways they create to balance it out, right? So why worry so hard. Adding shields doesn't take away from anything you like, it's just a new option. And shields aren't the only defensive option they could add - they're just the most tried and true and path of least resistance. A Combo Breaker mechanic would allow people to escape those cringe 2v1 combos allow them to take some agency back, for example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom