• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU Thread v2 | PM 3.5 Ness Matchup Discussion |

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
Last time I played against a good Ganon on Warioware I was still able to pull it off with a 2 stock lead. The one thing about Warioware (or any small stage) against Ganon is that the match up becomes super volatile.
One mistake from any player and they're going to die. Ness dies at like, roughly 50% to a forward air with "meh" DI and Ganon also dies earlier from gimps/fsmash/dair/bair.
I personally like this map because of the platform layout. The platforms are low enough so that our combo game actually becomes a little different and Ness can utilize platforms better than Ganon imo. Rather than chaining fairs with magnet into regrabs, the platforms give plenty of opportunities for an easy tech chase which can be followed with any aerial into another hit depending on percentage and DI. Ending a combo with a dair can also lead to a PK Fire combo extension/tech chase. Ganon's roll is also pretty slow that it's easily punishable too.

I feel like it's definitely better than Yoshi's Story. If the stage bans are two, I ban both Yoshi stages. If 3, I may opt to ban Warioware or Fountain.

If you're really cheeky with throws, fair -> forward throw is a very easy way to get Ganon off the stage and if they DI the throw wrong, the kill is pretty much guaranteed.

If you're at kill percentage, Ganon's nair to ftilt is really fast and has really deceptive range. It really sucks to dash dance in front of Ganon, only to get kicked in the face to die because lol ftilt.

This match up is a lot of baiting and punishing. Most of Ganon's moves are all highly punishable on whiff. Expect to do lots of dash dancing and wavebounced magnet dashing. Gotta be quick! Most of 3.02 stuff applies to 3.5 as well

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Also never tech dairs in place, never. Don't get predictable with your techs though.

I'm in favor of calling it 6:4 for Ness, at the moment. I feel like it could change when Ganon mains perfect their neutral with all their new options, but as it is? Ganon's poor OoS options and fairly poor DD make it really hard to win neutral, which is the meat of the MU with how hard both characters punish.

Ganon's only real punish option is CC, and if you play Ness, you should be familiar with that option.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Mm. I've always felt the MU is 6:4, though 3.5 changes certainly hurt us.
Take Ganon to FD, SV or Skyworld IMO. Avoid YS, Dreamland, and Warioware.

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
Even with the changes, the match up is still 6:4. Both players punish each other hard for their mistakes, but Ness has more opportunities. He also has the ability to poke with PK Fire in neutral.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Mm. I've always felt the MU is 6:4, though 3.5 changes certainly hurt us.
Take Ganon to FD, SV or Skyworld IMO. Avoid YS, Dreamland, and Warioware.
I like DL personally. Gives you room to move around and live longer. Blastzones don't matter much since you should be gimping him anyway. The platforms certainly help Ganon, but not enough to ban it over Yoshi's Brawl, which is just a terrible Ness stage all together. Just my opinion though.

Boiko

We should talk about Snake. I play with Rolex a fair amount and I have to play Professor Pro soon. Would like to see if you guys can add anything.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Zero snake exp, our only snake player moved to socal
snake lost the invincibility on his upb Oos which makes hitting his shield safer.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
try to space against Snake as much as you can.
If you get too close he'll C4 you. No exceptions.
PK Fire is also good for taking out his land mines so do that
I feel like PK Flash would be a good pressure tool against Snake as well.

Last edited:

Bryonato

Green Hat
My knowledge in this MU is very limited except for the time I got schwacked at CEO by a great Snake player. I know @ELI-mination believes it's one of Ness' easier MU's.

Here's him tearing up a Snake, granted this was 3.02.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I won't be able to contribute much to this MU unfortunately. I don't even know any solid snakes in my region.

(See what I did there?)

But yeah I think PK flash could be a good tool if used wisely, as goes with any move that forces you to commit for that long.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Combos against snake are really easy. For edge guarding, turnaround magnet to bair is HELLA good.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't know what the **** to do in this matchup anymore. The reason why it was okay for Ness in the previous patches was because much of Snakes strengths come from his OOS options and his punish game, and Ness could simply invalidate his OOS options by putting anti shield pressure from a safe distance. Now that that is gone, what the hell do you do to a snake that is camping with grenade drops in a very brawl like style? I realize this style of snake is pretty rare, but we have a snake player here in MA, where 80% of his game is basically dropping nades and camping in shield, while mixing in tranq shots. It is extremely weird because he never approaches.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I feel like snake would fall to top platform camping because his mobility sucks.

I would go for the time out in this MU, if he's camping just shield everything and wait, get a hit or a lead somehwere carefully, then just run away. Pk fire from platforms can be used to stop mines in spots, you can just shield his up smash and Grenades and jump away if he jumps at you.

Camping is broken, time that snake out

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I know somebody who plays snake this way too and it's so frustrating. @.@

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Lol. You can't decide what is and isn't frustrating to me. :p

Next time we play, I'll take Soft's advice and time you out. :awesome:

Boiko

So guys I actually had a really close set with Prof.

Also, Idk how well you all fare with the Sheik match up but Stereo HATES it. He got beaten pretty hard by VaNz, who I 2-0'd because I love that match up. So if we want to talk about another difficult one, maybe we can adjust the thread to that?

HarmakPaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
harmak
Here's my personal opinion for Ness's MU spread. Definitely wrong b/c I'm not considering some things and this is my old one from before I discussed it w/ NZA, but for the sake of discussion, I'm throwing this out there to be judged/changed by others:

Opinions on Ness MUs (This is if played with every good Ness's strengths and none of their weaknesses when fighting top players)

Majorly loses:
Sheik
Samus
Wario
Peach
Meta Knight
Luigi
GnW
Marth
Kirby
Zelda
Roy
Ivy
Link
Toon Link

Slightly loses:
Ike
Fox
Olimar
Lucario
Diddy Kong (Only if the Ness can use the banana and the tech involved properly)

I dunno because nobody plays these characters in my region:
ROB
Sonic
Mewtwo
Squirtle
Pikachu
Pit
Wolf
Mario
Yoshi

Captain Falcon Tier:
Captain Falcon

Even:
ZSS
Charizard
Lucas
Snake
Ness

Slightly wins:
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Falco
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Dedede

Majorly wins:
Bowser

Last edited:

Boiko

Majorly loses:
Sheik
Agreed.

I'm indifferent, but I think that's just because I like the MU.

I think this is only a slight loss. Just hold center stage and it's not bad. Don't get grabbed by the ledge.

Same as Wario. I play a lot with Malachi and it goes very close every set. Ness has a lot of tools in this match up, but it is definitely harder than it needs to be.

Meta Knight
IMO this is even, but I can see it being a loss.

Slight loss. I don't think it's that bad though.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Not really sure, tbh.

Zelda
Roy
Ivy
Link
Toon Link
Agreed, especially Tink. That MU is rough.

Slightly loses:
Ike
I think that this is actually a really hard match up. Ike has no problem keeping you out, putting you off stage, and edge guarding, ending your stocks dumb early.

Fox is always going to be hard, because he's Fox. But I think that Ness does pretty well against him relative to most of the cast. I'm inclined to agree with you.

I actually think that this is a super easy MU for Ness. Olimar's side b is next to useless against approach fairs and magnets. It makes it really hard for him to do anything. I'll upload my set with Zork when it's put on youtube.

See Fox.

Diddy Kong (Only if the Ness can use the banana and the tech involved properly)
I think that this one is even. Ness is pretty good at just circumventing the banana entirely. His set ups on Diddy are pretty good. Idk, I don't mind it.

I dunno because nobody plays these characters in my region:
ROB
I played bstuck at blacklisted and it didn't feel too bad. ROB behaves similarly to Peach, so I just treated it like that and I didn't have too much trouble. I can see it being even or slightly in ROB's favor.

Low key, this is Ness' worst match up. No one knows it yet.

I play with Frozen a good amount. I don't think it's that bad of a MU. Slightly in M2's favor.

This one is at least even, IMO.

I would say that Ness loses slightly.

Bad. Ness loses kind of hard.

See Fox.

This match up is weird. I play it with Gallo all the time. Sometimes I feel like Mario wins pretty hard, other times I feel like it's even. I don't think Mario has a great answer to Ness just throwing back airs at him. They just ignore fire balls. Alternatively, you can magnet through fire balls and have your magnet hitbox reactivate for a unique approach.

Ness wins solidly.

Captain Falcon
Pretty hard. You have to force Falcon to misspace aerials and then counter with disjointed hitboxes like utilt. Tricky stuff, but not awful when you figure it out.

Even:
ZSS
I think that she beats Ness solidly.

Charizard
Agreed, if not in Ness' favor.

I think that is slightly in Lucas' favor, but really not bad at all. Ness has a lot of tools that just work in this MU, but Lucas has a bit more. I have a lot of videos of this.

I really feel that this MU is hard, and I'm not just saying that because of Brimley, LOL. If Snake camps Ness, it's so difficult to get in and deal with his priority. I think that Ness loses this MU solidly if the Snake plays campy. If they approach you, it's pretty easy, but no Snake that knows the MU is going to do that.

Slightly wins:
Ganondorf
Agreed.

Jigglypuff
Ehhh. Jiggs is funky, and just straight up beats Ness in the air. I think that she has a lot of potential in this MU.

See Fox.

Donkey Kong
Agreed.

Ice Climbers
I know that you just played with Phresh recently, but as someone who plays with him often, this MU is hard. Rising spaced back airs are the safest form of pressure that you have. Nanapult blizzards in conjunction with ice blocks make getting him on ICs difficult. They can get under your PK Fires very quickly and punish your landing, even on a platform. Honestly, I think that playing with a lot of pressure is the best way to play against them. Just cross up, cross up, cross up.

Dedede
Majorly wins:
Bowser
Agreed!

HarmakPaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
harmak
Cool, we can get discussion going again!

I'll go down the list of ones we didn't agree/mostly agree on:

Samus: I like the MU too, but the lack of kill confirms on Samus and her really strong stage presence makes me think that she wins the matchup, even if the Ness's neutral game is super on point.

Wario: Hard loss was more an opinion I had in 3.5/3.6b. Agree w/ you now that I know the MU more. The bite still hurts if he gets it, but at least it's pretty punishable

Peach: There are 2 really good Peach players in MA - Peachkid & Mafia. Peachkid is my crewmate and plays like Brawl Peach while Mafia has played vs. Ness a lot in Melee b/c he played Mofo often. If they put together their strengths (Mafia's edgeguarding, Peachkid's followups, both players's fundamentals from their respective games, etc.) I see the MU being one of Ness's hardest. I'd be down to go more in depth, but I haven't played a Peach recently since Mafia hasn't been around too much and Peachkid was in Ireland for a couple weeks. :<

Meta Knight: Meta Knight's neutral counters Ness's hard since he has such good ground and aerial mobility. Not only that, but it's hard to edgeguard him, his edgeguards are freer on Ness than most of the other cast, and he has that sword. Only place where I think Ness shines is punishing MK hard because of his fall speed and light weight. Personally one of my least favorite matchups, even if it's not his worst, so that might cause some bias. Plus, haven't faced Bloodcross recently since, like with the Peach players, he hasn't been around recently.

Luigi: One of the characters I put there because I wasn't sure if I was better at floaty matchups or if I was just playing properly. There are a few others like this on my list. I agree w/ you there.

Kirby: Like Meta Knight, he has the free edgeguards and amazing air mobility, but his neutral isn't as good because of the lack of disjoints and solid approach options. He does have the super floaty attribute where there are almost no solid followups though. It could be better for Ness than I'm making it out to be, but it's definitely a losing matchup.

Ike: I can see where you're coming from and don't have anything to say as rebuttal, so I agree.

Olimar: Can you post it here when it is up please? I wanna see the MU for myself. Was considering putting this in the "I don't know" section for a bit

Diddy Kong: I also had it as even, but moved it to slightly losing since I used to main Diddy and thought it was just me knowing how most of Diddy works. Agreed.

ZSS: Play with Numerics a lot, the biggest problem ZSS has is that if she doesn't get a kill setup, Ness lives to crazy percents. Since ZSS doesn't have those off of grabs, it's harder for her to get those. She has to get you off stage, so if you're playing safe and not giving her that opportunity, then Ness does well. It was made better when ZSS's recovery was changed so it's not infinite anymore. The MU is still really volatile though since they body each other when either gets a hit.

Charizard: See Luigi/Diddy reasoning.

Lucas: Mostly theorycrafting from my end, I haven't faced Spaz in a long while and I'm only just starting to learn the character.

Snake: Funnily enough, while Snake is good at stuffing & punishing approaches, he can actually be outcamped himself somewhat easily if you have platforms to help you. When you do that, his gameplan crumbles. I used to have a fair amount of trouble in this MU, but once I figured that out in talks w/ Brimley, it became a lot easier. Speaking of whom, Brimley is getting super good really fast. He eliminated Risky and Mafia this Thursday. When we make the new PR, if he's still active when we do that (which he probably will be) then he's most likely gonna be on it.

Puff: I dunno because lol who plays Puff, so it's mostly just theorycrafting. I'd imagine it's mostly like fighting Ryu in SF where you need good spacing and have to play lots of footsies, so that's why I put it as slightly winning.

Ice Climbers: This MU is interesting. It changes from super slow to super fast almost instantly because of how volatile it is. Ice Climbers might be fast w/ their wavedash, but they don't have many safe options when they get there since they can't grab while in the air. The ice blocks activate PKF, so it's harder for him to wavedash in out of his neutral game. Same with Nanapult, which was actually not very good when I played him. Getting behind ICs shield is super important for pressure since he can't easily use an OOS option that's instant, so yeah, crossups are great. If you have a video of you playing him in a set, it'd be great for me to get data on it since I only have him vs. NZA and myself to go off of right now.

I go super in depth based on those two sets though here, so if anyone wants to read up on that, then here's that (easier than just saying everything a 2nd time :p):

http://tinyurl.com/harmaksICanalysis

tl;dr: Either camp platforms or pressure shield (safely), get rid of Nana fast, and whatever you do, DONT GET GRABBED or you are basically dead

This took quite a while to write up, wow

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Diddy/Ness is cancer

probably super even, I hate the MU though. Diddy struggles to get raw kills and instead worked on horizontal combos/ catching double jumps (Which is easy) and then racking up a lot of damage through edge guarding with projectiles, invincible bairs, and punishing landing with fsmash/dsmash. Ness's combo game on diddy is crazy strong (dthrow chaingrabs for like, 70+ if there are no platforms), dair/nair combos work easily, etc. Diddy does have a thin frame so SDIing out of fair is really easy for him though.

Neutral is dumb but Diddy forces ness to take to the air, with proper reactions and spacing diddy can get underneath ness when he jumps and glide toss a banana up at ness as he goes for PK fire or whatever and can convert off that at pretty much all relevant % (high % it just semi spikes). He can also cross up underneath and threaten with bairs from the side, etc. There are a lot of % specific combos that only work on ness for diddy but I wont list them extensivly, pretty much all have to do with ness's double jump being so bad at getting out of combos. grab>upthrow>uptilt>side-b slap>fast fall grab is a thing, expecially if the uptilt catches a jump. Ness is the perfect combo weight for peanuts being used as a combo extender, so watch out for those and be ready to doublejump>instant AGT those back out of tumble if diddy starts going for that.

Stagewise, despite diddy getting chaingrabbed on stages with less platforms, I think smashville is still the best for him in the MU, because the platform helps extend diddy's combos off stage where it really matters. Optimal stages for ness depending on the style of diddy you are playing imo, If you're playing a hyper aggro diddy strike the small stages/smashville/FoD away, if the diddy is aiming to just camp you out, dont let him go to dreamland/FD/dephinos because you will never catch him.

HarmakPaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
harmak
Diddy/Ness MU
I'd say that's pretty accurate to the MU, though I'm curious as to why you say to strike SV on an aggressive Diddy, wouldn't the stage be like FD where he can camp you out?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, for ICs/Ness, I just finished a conversation w/ @ Phresh123 Phresh123 about it on FB, here's what we discussed:

First thing that I'm just gonna summarize since it's scattered throughout the convo between organizing later tourneys for all of the Northeast to go to: I didn't talk about the set initially, I was just talking about future tournaments and an idea I have that I'm bringing up to the other SG directors. Phresh said I was the most patient Ness he's played and was good at adapting, he agrees w/ my analysis quite a bit and with Damp's comment that he should've gone for Dthrow CGs instead of Dthrow dair regrabs since I was SDIing those, and NZA didn't play the MU correctly since he went for so many grabs and didn't space PKFires correctly

Here's the main discussion:

Phresh:
Now just finished watching G1, and what I can say is that were both some very paitent players. You were killing Nana so well, capitalizing on her every chance you got. Your SDI's was on point and Damp is right that I should just go for straight D-throw.

I also noticed how well you played on the platforms. Retreating with PK Fire is a great tool. There were times when I thought I had the grab and somehow you'd just SDI from the last move I got off, or seeemingly dodged my grab. I keep getting punished with Bairs, and whats crazy Is that I knew they were coming but its harder to stop it then I thought.

So G2 i kinda feel like you only lost because the stage was small, or at least you didn't do "as" well because of that. I was able to WD OOS & WD Jab alot more since the horizontal range on YS is small as hell.

I did notice that you used PK fire a ton alot in this game, and they were doing very well. Bairs also was killing me fairly medium percents. But yeah, It definately was the stage that helped me get the easy kills.

You still played it smart though, but i think next time you may wanna op for a similar stage but larger; something like battlefield.

Harmak:
I figured that the more platforms I had, the better since I could camp a lot more easily and I'd have another option to retreat to in the top platform of YS. I didn't know what the size of the stage would do for the matchup though, so I tried to go for a small one, not knowing how it would be easier for you to convert into a CG -> fair edgeguard or poke me a bunch.

Phresh: I wonder how our match would go if we played on like Dreamland

Harmak:
Definitely would've timed out, the biggest problem I had was I thought that I needed to get as much damage on you as I could G1 so I didn't lose when the game reached to time, but you capitalized and took the stock as a result. If I caught onto that and went to a larger stage like DP or DL, then I hopefully wouldn't have run in at the end and there might've been a G3

Phresh:
Yeah I literally sat and watched what moves I did too within the last minute. Ice climbers are so strong when they're together that I racked up about 60-80 with like synced dair, u-air.

Crazy, I never played a game and timed out and/or got timed out! Usually dwells down to the final minute before someone dies, but the paitence you have really caught me by surprise.

I play Boiko alot, and he's nowhere near as paitent. Trys to go in and gets punished super hard for it. Here's a recent vid of me beating his ness: http://youtu.be/dfSpdNvErLg

Same stage also.

Harmak:
Immediately looked at what stage G2 was

Not knowing the result of G1's set, was that your CP or his? Because I try to avoid SV vs. Brawl/Sm4sh players when in PM. Also ICs are super good on flat stages, from what I've learned watching both Melee and Brawl.

Watched G1

Boiko's pressure was immaculate on the first stock, he didn't let you breathe and didn't do any unsafe things that would've gotten him grabbed

However, when he tried to replicate the pressure later, he was using fairs more, which aren't safe on shield, and he was positioning himself less carefully so he got grabbed more often which led to the kill conversions. I'd argue that the kind of pressure that he had on stock 1 is a different playstyle that Ness/ICs can go in Ness's favor for the full match, but it's sooo much harder to pull off right than the slow & patient game

Mostly because you always need to think about what move you'll do, where you are in the relation of your opponent, and how you plan on separating Nana/Popo without giving a window to save

All while putting on the pressure, which in itself takes a pretty high APM

I was doing it in small bouts in my set vs. you, but I don't think I could hold that up for an extended time like Boiko tried to do there.

Phresh:
Hmm trying to remember now, but I do believe that either he picked that stage or just didnt care on what stage we played on.

But yeah his pressure game is no joke, G2 he was on me full pressure, which lead him to the 3 stock, but G3 he slowed down the pressuring and got grabbed early in the match, which led to me JV 3 stocking.

His style of play is somewhat of a risk reward thing; as shown in G2 its a reward because he can stop all my upcoming moves with keeping the "consistent" pressure. Notice how i used quotation marks around consistent, because once he stops and gives me space and neutral, its back to the basics of him getting grabbed.

Harmak:
Finished watching the set, G2 and G3 were amazing to watch

G2 because of the way he relentlessly put on the pressure and how crazy that was to watch, G3 because of how, once he started to hold back even a little bit, his plan fell to pieces and you were able to get the grabs on him

But G3 backs up why I think going so hard on the pressure can hurt in the end - because of how exhausting it can be and how risky it is to get in the ICs's faces w/o getting punished, the tactic gets worse over time. It seems to work really well with the heavy neutral though because you can "refresh" yourself between those moments of pressure safely and stay on top of the mental game

Phresh:
Yeah that is true! I dont think Ness should be super pressure mode all the time. One simple mistake can cost him a whole stock. Not to mention, i can thow ice blocks at Ness recovery and that can gimp him at an early percentage.

If we were to put a final verdit i'd really say Ness favor BUT it's stage dependable highly, and it's a waiting game. Depends on who throws out what and how one can capitalize off of it which distains to the winner.

Harmak: I'd agree with that

EDIT: The discussion was reopened after a little bit, here's what we've talked about so far:

Phresh:
Boiko:

Nanapult blizzards in conjunction with ice blocks make getting him on ICs difficult.

This is so true, i almost forgot about Nanpault blizzards

I can literally jump over pk fires with this and SOMEWHAT capitalize if your still in hitstun from the blizzard

Harmak:
I'm pretty sure you used this vs. me in our set on G1, lemme go back and see why it didn't work (making this assumption because it doesn't have a lasting impression on me for why the match had been so close)

Phresh:
Yes I did use It, but you were racking up damage alot on Nana throughout the game; didn't wanna risk losing her for a couple percent on you.

Harmak:
You used it early in the set before it became apparent that I was gonna play patient and even before I pressured you

Watched through the game, you used it 2 times total:

Right at the beginning of the game, you used it to try and catch an approach. I took the opportunity to get right beneath her, and since it seems like you weren't expecting it, I was able to put on the first bit of pressure in the game and really capitalize on Nana being away from you. I managed to get beneath you by edge canceling an aerial PKF then carrying that momentum into a DJC aerial. I must've racked up ~60 or 70% on Nana

The second time, I was on the platform and instead, I went over her and changed my position to be on the other side of the stage. Because of it, Nana was so desynced from Popo that I was able to get a bair on her a few seconds afterwards. It put you into a defensive position where you had to get away from me

Other times you hit me with a desynced blizzard, I SDI'd it in a way that prevented you from getting a grab, similar to how people would SDI Ness's PKF

Will edit in more when the convo is finished, currently waiting for a response

EDIT 2: I was expecting a bit more of a response, but he just said that I'm good at picking up things, then we started talking about Paragon :p

Last edited:

HarmakPaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
harmak
That set with Phresh was friendlies. Idk, I beat Big D ICs at Paragon.
Oh, wish I knew that when watching, I got the impression from Phresh that it was a tourney set

I guess I've run the vs. ICs discussion to the ground a bit, so I'll lay off of it for a bit

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
That set with Phresh was friendlies. Idk, I beat Big D ICs at Paragon.

How does Big D play as IC's? And i'm assuming you went Ness on em? I wanted to know if his playing style is similar to mines.

I knew you wouldn't lose that MU though; we grind it out wayyyyyy too much.

Last edited:

Boiko

How does Big D play as IC's? And i'm assuming you went Ness on em? I wanted to know if his playing style is similar to mines.

I knew you wouldn't lose that MU though; we grind it out wayyyyyy too much.
I just played hyper aggressive with really safe pressure. He didn't control the stage with projectiles nearly as much and I think he only got two grabs when ICs were together. And I just sdi'd.

Darth Shard

Dark Lord of the Smash Bros.
I think Ness/MK is 50/50. It seems like a MU where both sides hate it or think it's in their opponents favor. Ness gets a dthrow CG and pretty good follow-ups off a grab, plus MK is a good combo weight for us as a semi-fast faller. On the flip side, MK can dthrow tech chase to reasonable percents and has pretty good juggles on Ness as well.

If there was one area of the MU where it was really skewed in MK's favor it would be in edgeguarding. My main practice partner is an MK main, and when I'm trying to recover it can be absolute hell sometimes. A patient MK with good spacing can often intercept PKT2 with a bair or other move, forcing me to try recovering over and over. Plus, with how many jumps MK has, it makes it dangerous to try and recover close to the stage, as he can jump out and reach us much earlier than other characters. I feel that this aspect alone makes smaller stages really favor Meta Knight in the matchup. On larger stages where Ness can survive longer and play safer, it gives him a lot more chances to dictate the pace of play,

Last edited:

HarmakPaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
harmak
So recently a new Mario main from Oklahoma moved and he's actually really good. But since he's the first Mario we've had since 3.02 and the first strong Mario main ever at SG, I don't know the MU. Can someone go in depth on what Ness should do? I can post my set vs. Stoks when it's uploaded

ilysm

sleepy
It's always seemed to me that Mario messes Ness (and Lucas) up. Outranges us, difficult to combo, fireballs ruin everything, dthrow is godlike and confirms into fair up until really silly percentages, and cape destroys recovery. I'd also like some advice in the matchup; this character frustrates me.

HarmakPaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
harmak
From the Skype group:

[1:48:57 AM] Paul Harmak Mayorskiy: How do I Mario
[1:32:34 PM] God: i was watching that a little
[1:32:35 PM] God: nair a lot
[1:32:55 PM] God: cuts right through fireball, and if you approach with it, it'll extend the hitbox of a move that already lasts for a while
[2:12:40 PM] Nicholas Boiko: also, bair a lot.
[2:12:43 PM] Nicholas Boiko: and magnet.
[2:12:53 PM] Nicholas Boiko: make him feel unsafe using fireball.
[2:13:05 PM] Nicholas Boiko: SDI uair down and away, don't get grabbed.
[2:21:15 PM] Nicholas Boiko: if you do, don't DI at lower percentages, otherwise he gets a free up smash.
[2:21:29 PM] Nicholas Boiko: he probably still will for the most part, but, meh.
[2:49:01 PM] God: I wouldn't pick fd against him either
[2:49:26 PM] God: i don't remember if you did that but i like having some sort of platform play
[2:50:04 PM] God: his dthrow is better than ours against each other's weights, so you'd rather have platforms to break those combos than him, and you'll be able to weave around them in neutral and dodging fireballs
[2:51:33 PM] God: because against fireballs you have really 3options: dodge, mag, or nair

dodge is best when you're not tryin to get in but just avoid the fireball because you can't capitalize, nair is best when you're trying to get those extendo hitboxes and reach him, and mag is best somewhere in between
[2:51:47 PM] God: fireball is too slow for bat to really be useful as a reflect

I'll make this my gameplan next time I face Stoks and see how that goes, this all sounds right

EDIT: A note for myself when I come back to this - Mario is harder to combo than I expected, don't go in thinking it'll be a slaughter

EDIT 2: A little more from Boiko:

[9/20/2015 10:26:17 PM] Nicholas Boiko: @harmak, yeah, he's a weird floaty who is also a bit heavy, so he can break out of combos pretty easily.
[9/20/2015 10:29:25 PM] Nicholas Boiko: You really just want to space bairs around him in the neutral since there isn't much he can do to counter it. Your bair goes right through fireball and outranges most of his attacks, just be way of his tilts. Also, mix in approaching magnets when you have a read on a fireball. Since the hitbox reappears after absorption, he can't really come down and punish magnet due to him being caught up in the end lag of his own fireball. Once you make him afraid to use fireball in the neutral, you've basically already won. Just start spacing with fairs and beating everything that he can do. Edge guarding can be tricky. I always throw out PK Thunders to mess with sweet spot timing and then just angled down f smash. Works fairly often. If he returns to his fireball spam game, you return to your bair/magnet game. Don't be above him, just stay on the same plane but just outside his range.

Last edited:
Top Bottom