• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ms. Pac-Man's DLC Madness! a Support Thread

smash puffle

Smash Ace

The Short Intro:
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, a new term was made for simple clone characters known as "Echo Fighters". Ms. Pac-Man fits very well as one for her special someone (that's Pac-Man BTW). Ms. Pac-Man's debut game is in itself an influential arcade game that features the first female protagonist in video games (that first became popular anyways).
The only issue here is the licencing hell that is attached to the poor miss that has spanned across more than 3 decades now. Bandai Namco owns the character, but not the royalty rights. There's currently an ongoing legal battle to get everything once and for all, but recently it has become more difficult with AtGames being a thorn on their side. As of right now, Ms. Pac is currently in a critical state and she's not very likely to get in as DLC for the time being.
Besides that, she would be pretty easy to make. She could be added as a semi clone since she's not a skin of Pac-Man in the game.
Also I want some Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness music so there's that.

Sure, I can see her in like that. Support list?
Here you go, let's see if this actually happens.

Stock Icons:

by NeonBurrito
Alternate colors:
Lineup 1:

Lineup 2:

both made by Pacack

Supporter List:
Supporters so far:
smash puffle (me)
Juliusaurus
SSBCandidates
Guybrush20X6
SEGAGameBoy (-_-)
Igglybuff4SmashU
Vingag
Captain Shades
RayaGRH
Pacack
Arcadenik
KirbyWorshipper2465
Klimax
Dixie Kong
Ed-boy
infomon
Gemini-Gene
Luminario
zferolie
Kirbeh
Wademan94
Arymle Roseanne
Dyllybirdy
NeonBurrito
Mushroomguy12
fleshdude.gov
Tommyolivermorgan
Fire Scyther
RealLuigisWearPink
Voodoo7995
Dorayaki
Wigglerman
Doc Monocle
TheThingamajigRayman
BallZ
Geno Boost

Thank you for reading and have a nice day! :)

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
reposting from the Echo thread

I'm a huge fan of Ms. Pac-Man as an Echo fighter. Someone who could play nearly identically to Pac-Man, but is still important enough on their own to be worthy enough of a player slot. Kind of the perfect candidate for the concept of what an Echo character should be.

Her one difference would reflect her own game, and that's the "fruit" she throws out 'Cherry, Strawberry, Orange, Pretzel, Apple, Pear, Banana', with the new fruits having new gameplay properties. The pretzel could fly in a pretzel shaped trajectory, the pear could act like a timed grenade, and the banana could have the properties of the new banana gun weapon, and explode on impact, which would make for a nice Key replacement as a final powerful fruit item.

Of course, they'd have to give her unique animations and such too, and maybe her taunt sprites could be different (would be EXCELLENT if they referenced Midway arcade games, but since she's a full Namco character now, I'd only expect more Namco things). And I'd hope they'd keep her look classic, no gaping mouth when she's not in her chomping form, just a little smile with her lips. Also, she's gotta have the lashes, the bow, the mole, the heels, maybe even the long gloves. Really give her that iconic Ms. Pac-Man look, because, well, she is an icon herself separate from Pac-Man, and many gamers from the arcade days would certainly see her as a worthy addition to Smash Bros.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Add me, but who has the rights for her? Bandai/Namco, WB Games or someone else?
Hard to say. She appears in Smash WiiU as a minor cameo so I can only assume that Bandai Namco's reasons aren't entirely rights based.

The Maze games outside of the original, Super and Mania are so often treated like the Prime series was until Nintendo got the hint.

Also, support. She's on my list of full 3rd party Echos :)

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played the original Pac-Man. Never played Ms. Pac-Man. But, I'm planning on getting Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 for my PS4. I support!

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Namco should have the rights, Ms. Pac-Man was a playable character in Mario Kart Arcade GP in addition to showing up in Smash Bros. for Wii U. So she oughtta be considered relatively important still (despite not getting a redesign for the modern Pac-Man series, nor ever appearing in it... though however, since Smash Bros. uses Pac-Man's classic design is does bode well for her to appear too).

Though I do wonder, is Ms. Pac-Man as much a household name in Japan as she is in North America? She's huge in the United States, with her arcade title being one of the most popular games of the era, in many cases surpassing the original Pac-Man. But since it wasn't made by Namco, and instead Midway... I do wonder how the game was perceived in Japan, and if they'd even consider her a classic character worthy of adding to Smash (I mean, she didn't even get a trophy in Smash Wii U...).

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Bumping, but for a good reason. Recently, a few weeks back anyway, Namco showed off a new official design for Ms. Pac-Man on their Pac-Man Twitter. Not sure if anyone else here has seen it, but I think it's pretty good! It combines her American original colors and outfit with her 2D Japanese art style and design.
DhX6tqSVAAEla29.jpg
I would LOVE it if this was the design they used for her in Smash!

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
I would say she's pretty high on the list of Echo fighters. In many ways Ms. Pac Man out-performed Pac Man, and it's certainly the arcade cabinet you see more of nowadays.
I Support!

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
To me she is the most obvious echo choice of them all. She is a legendary character in video game history, and she'd be so easy to add in as an echo. Ms. Pac-Man being in seems so obvious... why not?

zferolie

Smash Hero
With Richter as an Echo, and a High chance of Shadow as an echo, I can very easily see Ms Pac Man as an Echo. Perhaps her fruit she uses are different, her FS goes at different angles, her normal B can arc more, and her up B has more bounces.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I absolutely, positively support Ms. Pac-Man. I would legitimately cry if she was in the game.

Regarding her design, I would support her most commonly used design as the default, but with recolors based off of her many different appearances through the Pac-Man series.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ms. Pac-Man as an Echo Fighter of Pac-Man? I support.

It makes the most sense.

Maybe Ms. Pac-Man can have different Bonus Fruit sprites from her own game. I don't think Pac-Man has the pretzel sprite... so Ms. Pac-Man can have that one.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Bumping, but for a good reason. Recently, a few weeks back anyway, Namco showed off a new official design for Ms. Pac-Man on their Pac-Man Twitter. Not sure if anyone else here has seen it, but I think it's pretty good! It combines her American original colors and outfit with her 2D Japanese art style and design.
View attachment 154976
I would LOVE it if this was the design they used for her in Smash!
I personally have a bit of beef with that design, since Ms. Pac-Man looks too similar in that design to Pac-Man. She has softer features, notably a much smaller mouth.

Here's an edit I did to fix it.

From left to right, American Ms. Pac-Man Cabinet art, traditional colors, Maze Madness/Pac-Man World design, and Pac-Man World Rally design.

These would be wonderful recolors, imo. :)

smash puffle smash puffle I'd love for these to be included in the OP, if you'd be willing.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9BsFiBLcnQ

I just saw this. I don't think this is a disconfirmation (remember Toon Link in the background of a stage) but i'm a bit scared to be honest.
Anyway, you can add me to the support list, i had Ms Pac Man Maze Madness on Playstation when i was younger and i loved this game. I would be happy to see her joining the fight !

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Allright. I added these to the OP. I updated the supporter list too.
Thank you! I'll work on getting more Smash-specific recolors done for the OP. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9BsFiBLcnQ

I just saw this. I don't think this is a disconfirmation (remember Toon Link in the background of a stage) but i'm a bit scared to be honest.
Anyway, you can add me to the support list, i had Ms Pac Man Maze Madness on Playstation when i was younger and i loved this game. I would be happy to see her joining the fight !
Honestly, this doesn't make me worried at all. Unlike Captain Toad on New Donk City, Ms. Pac-Man here is still in a pixelated form, similar to King Dedede's appearance on the Dreamland 64 stage. (Or even DK on 75M)

Just as King Dedede's sprite doesn't appear on that stage when he's on it, I imagine Ms. Pac-Man's sprite wouldn't appear if she were. The connection is furthered when one considers that - just as King Dedede's sprite was added to the 64 stage before he was playable in Brawl - Ms. Pac-Man's sprite was added in a previous game.

I wouldn't compare this so much to the Spirit Tracks stage, because Toon Link was playable before the stage was created rather than the other way around. King Dedede is a better example in this instance, imo.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Thank you! I'll work on getting more Smash-specific recolors done for the OP. :)
smash puffle smash puffle I was inspired to make a full set of recolors for the OP. I also updated the look to fix some more things. I think it looks a lot better, personally.
Ms. Recolors.png

Juliusaurus Juliusaurus You might like this too.

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
This lass ties with Funky Kong & Medusa as my most wanted Echo, so BEAM SIGN ME UP, SCOTTY!
It'd be hella hype to set up a match between her, Peach, Samus, & Zelda.........& Dixie Kong, fingers crossed. After all, what's the King of the Arcade without the Queen?

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I'd like to be added to the supporters list. PAC-MAN was my most wanted 3rd Party for Smash 4 so when he was revealed I thought Ms Pac-Man was guaranteed for an easy alt costume. I was pretty disappointed when she wasn't an alt costume, but now that clones got rebranded by Sakurai as Echo Fighters we now have the opportunity to have her as a separate character from Pac-Man.

She is a big gaming legacy icon that's missing from Smash and making her as an Echo shouldn't be difficult. Also wanted to mention that Pac-Man is my most favorite character to watch competitively thanks to players like Sinji and Abadango (when he didn't switch mains and betrayed Pac's smile. Never betray his smile :4pacman:)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
BUMP :4pacman:
So I just read this story about the development of Ms. Pac-Man that I thought would be interesting to post.

http://readyset.zam.com/article/239/the-little-known-story-behind-ms-pac-man
I heard the gist of it before, but it's certainly amazing that some independent programmers managed to bamboozle two big-name companies.

Also, one thing I was thinking about recently. You know about Pac-Man's pose in the mural, right? It seems a bit odd to put him in between two villains with the pose he has, and you can see some open space for another character nearby, so it might be possible that Ms. Pac-Man is actually in with a pose to mirror Pac-Man's.

Of course, it's just as likely that she isn't included, but this just tickled my curiosity, is all.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I think she should have been an alph style alt for Pac-Man, it's kinda lame that she wasn't one in the last game. But count me in anyway, her game was definitely better than Pac-Man's.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think she should have been an alph style alt for Pac-Man, it's kinda lame that she wasn't one in the last game. But count me in anyway, her game was definitely better than Pac-Man's.
I'd argue that Ms. Pac-Man being an Alph-style alt wouldn't make as much sense, since she has different bonus fruit.

Given that echoes don't need to have much of a difference from their originals (Pit/Dark Pit), I'd just give her different fruit. That's reason enough for her to be an echo, I think. :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
If Ms Pac Man was going to be an Alph, she would have been already.

And I feel that the most likely Namco in base is Ms pac Man. Shes easy to make, and so far it looks like Capcom and sega are gonna get echos as newcomers.

Plus, if namco wanted to sell a character as DLC, make it lloyd, and have ms pac man in base game

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If Ms Pac Man was going to be an Alph, she would have been already.

And I feel that the most likely Namco in base is Ms pac Man. Shes easy to make, and so far it looks like Capcom and sega are gonna get echos as newcomers.

Plus, if namco wanted to sell a character as DLC, make it lloyd, and have ms pac man in base game
When Ms. Pac-Man joins the battle, Professor Pac-Man takes up the sprite.

ProfessorPacMan.png

Leave it to me!

(Though I much rather prefer the World redesign of the Professor, it's much better)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Thought you guys might appreciate this. :)

View attachment 173275
Thats cute. I really think she has a great chance. she is nearly as Iconic as Pac-Man, one of the first staring Female characters in gaming, and would be a very easy echo to make. Plus, if the leak is right, that means only Namco didn't get another rep, and they are the co-developers of the game!

Top Bottom