• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Efficient Panic is something that would've made sense in Melee or Brawl, but not in 4. In Melee/Brawl, you could bucket a universe-destroying nuke and only get a single unit of oil. In 4, almost everything guarantees a full bucket.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It should work on any PK Thunder that involves aiming a thunder bolt. "PK Thunder 2" is PK Thunder when it's used as a recovery instead of an offensive projectile.
Oh. Good to know.

I know what Oil Panic is lol

Yes Oil Panic is an amazing move =)

I'm referring to Efficient Panic, one of his Custom buckets
OK, I guess I misinterpreted it. Thanks for the clear-up.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Atfer months of playing smash4 I've somehow ended up going back to game and watch lol. Though I still have rosalina as a hightier back up I find myself using G&W for the most part, even for his harder match ups. He's more gimmicky than ever and it's uhh.... FUN!! :smash:

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I still need to try out Efficient Panic against characters like Fox and Falco who have weak projectiles. What entices me most about the move is the base damage. We won't get KOs against them until high percents with a full bucket anyway, might as well build up what damage we can on them.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I still need to try out Efficient Panic against characters like Fox and Falco who have weak projectiles. What entices me most about the move is the base damage. We won't get KOs against them until high percents with a full bucket anyway, might as well build up what damage we can on them.
It's also great for avoiding punishes from those who are quick to follow up on their projectiles
(like say Pikachu), by avoiding lag from unfilled buckets.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I got frustrated and used a gameshark on Gallery 4 to unlock everything. Getting 1000 points on everything without restore points is hard and disheartening on something without restore points.

On the plus side, though, the GW versions of :popo::4link:, which are some of the last games unlocked, are pretty fun.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I was Mr.G&W in FG yesterday and some how managed to beat this really good Sheik player.:shades:

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
Played a run-of-the-mill Toon Link who was boomerang and spin to win happy earlier. I two stocked him with Gdubs with his second stock being lost to an up tilt followed by the sexiest uair I've ever pulled off. I didn't even touch him with the pump, the windbox just pushed him completely up and out. He of course changed his name to "fagt" before immediately leaving but holy hell was it a great feeling.

Snow Black

Smash Cadet
NNID
sn0wblack
Here's some of me playing. I appreciate pointing out anything I did wrong, especially against that Dark Pit :)

Edit: Meant to post this in the video thread, oops

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Played a run-of-the-mill Toon Link who was boomerang and spin to win happy earlier. I two stocked him with Gdubs with his second stock being lost to an up tilt followed by the sexiest uair I've ever pulled off. I didn't even touch him with the pump, the windbox just pushed him completely up and out. He of course changed his name to "fagt" before immediately leaving but holy hell was it a great feeling.
that's actually G&W's mouth :p

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Have some tourney videos posted at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMNi1nkIpqkfvHOeLlAmLdA/videos

-SFA Smiley vs Mr. Xeve (GW vs Rosalina)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Glxo93kWtY

This matchup is sooooo hard. But I'm still thinking of going all Game & Watch so I had to test it in tournament. I panicked a few times though, playing against Rosie is really terrifying. Also most of my rolls are accidental (if not all of them) I don't roll that much but i tend to accidentally do it when I mean to dash>shield. I pretty much know everything I did wrong in this one but feel free to tell me if you noticed something bad. DON'T CHALLENGE ROSALINA. But also don't respect her too much because you'll lose.

-SFA Smiley vs TGZ Freean (GW vs ROB)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_h2tWXTKcE

Freean did a good job at punishing my risky moves and making regret going for things where the risk reward wasn't substantial enough for me. Ultimately his problem was that he kinda sticks to a game plan and doesn't really know how to change it when it doesn't work. I was able to take advantage of this because once I figured his strategy out (Autocancelled nairs>Gyro>laser>fish for grab if it looked possible>repeat) it was a matter of me just executing properly. I was able to powershield the nairs and get a punish or force him into bad situations for more damage. I did stupid things in this one too. Reaching for Usmash is a bad habit of mine, and he clearly was respecting the move but i kept using it outside of the proper situation (particularly when the opponent is above you without a jump) and died a few times for it. We both didn't really adapt as well as we could have.

Customs doubles money match
-Smiley + Wafty vs SamuraiPanda + Swoops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzYdZcwD9g

This one is just a fun match for you guys that like Customs (which I know a lot of the GW mains here do)

I use 3311. I believe that Normal GW is one of the strongest GWs (but not necessarily the best one, but FOR ME it is)
However in doubles i definitely believe this one is one of the best. Short Order chef is overrated in singles IMO and normal chef is honestly very underrated. But for DOUBLES Short order is better. Having a real projectile is amazing for GW. Having a ranged move to save your teammate in addition to his high mobility is a godsend. He can save his teammates without putting himself in danger and therefore play a stronger support role (The ideal way to play the character in doubles). Chain judge is also godlike in doubles. It's a attack that pins down opponents and allows your teammate to get easy followups because of it. also 9 can ko which is a plus but not particularly a reason why this move is so good in doubles.

This is my only custom GW setup. I don't have a lot of faith in heavy trampoline because racking damage isn't something GW has a hard time with and trading out one of the most important tools to his mobility (his biggest strength IMO) is not a worthwhile trade

But yeah just watch for the tight 2v1 comeback if anything =)

edit: Will be revamping the video thread tomorrow, should have some downtime at work hopefully

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
@ SFA Smiley SFA Smiley , is there a reason you stray away from fair as an approach/walling tool - has it not worked in your experience?
I'm an aggressive player, I never need to since I approach most of the time anyway. Its not an ideal way to play generally but I think it actually works for gw since IMO he sub par walling tools

And I also don't think fair is good for walling. I get punished fairly easily most of the time and I've distinctly tried to use it for that purpose with no luck

Neb

Smash Lord
As a general way of playing - of course not. But in order to add depth to your game, or briefly convert into a defensive style when necessary. It has worked in my experience using both the soft hit and G&W's mobility to bait/poke whiffs. Then having bair as a mix-up. They're strange hitboxes to contest.

Had a thought yesterday... it'd be interesting to have a simple thread with you and GIMR discussing competitive topics (possibly chosen by the board)? Of course, as we take on more notable tournament mains, they could join the discussion. But the insight into high level play would be extremely beneficial to those G&W's looking to improve beyond basic guides, etc.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
^Yes you can ask questions here

No frame thread yet

@ Neb Neb , like I said I've tried it with no luck. My defensive option is running away. In brawl I liked retreating turtle but every time I use fair like that in this game I get punished. Now I just try to run away because GW is faster than most characters.

Does fair auto cancel? I don't see how you can wall with it.

Edit: I reread what you said and I see what you mean now about mixing up fair and bair.IlI'll try it next time

Last edited:

Neb

Smash Lord
I will rise with it, and use G&W's mobility to weave and or soft hit openings (may require a ff). Full hopped, we can end the move in a variety of ways: airborne for crossups/baits/misc tools, just before landing to eliminate lag and convert into our ground game, or ff'd for sheer speed. The fact that its a lingering disjoint kind of makes it a Marth/Lucina fair... only the hitboxes duration is less of a swipe and more like a typical nair. Turtle in such situations will garner more commitment as your mobility becomes restrained from hit/landing lag.

Its good to space it out of range, and then DI into your opponent when they bite the whiff. Or sometimes, just crack at them with the initial hit. There are countless mix-ups.

Lastly, did you see my last paragraph on my previous post? I want to know if you would be interested in that.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Hey just smiley just wanted to know what you think about the judgment hammer. I feel as the sometime I know I will get the 9.
Game & Watch intuition =)

I like side-b. too much actually.

I actually had to teach myself not to go for it as much, because it backfired on me a lot. I think it's a fun move though, especially once you get used to how to react to all the different effects (comboing out of the #8 Ice, or getting a followup after a #2 trip)

I would say if you are feeling confident at low percents Down Throw into Judgement. The risk:reward is way in your favor if you're at low percents.

It's a pretty good move.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Hello G&W brethen. Officially picking him up as a submain in this game. Loving Chain Judge, Chef and n-air :)

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
NAir was pretty much his best move in Brawl IMO and it's still really good because it still deals high damage and has minimal landing lag.

@ Neb Neb I find that FAir works better in some MUs than others. It's really helpful against Jigglypuff IMO because it outranges virtually everything she has. Not as useful against, say, Marth though.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Atfer months of playing smash4 I've somehow ended up going back to game and watch lol. Though I still have rosalina as a hightier back up I find myself using G&W for the most part, even for his harder match ups. He's more gimmicky than ever and it's uhh.... FUN!! :smash:
Haha yeah I came back to him as well! I don't know why either since I was really upset with him not being nearly as good as he was in brawl but I have been recently using him again. And well...now I'm here again! :)

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
I'm starting to pick up g&w. It started as having fun with his wind effects, then went to playing him a lot and turns out he's one of my mains now. Though the wind stuff is always fun :p

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm starting to pick up g&w. It started as having fun with his wind effects, then went to playing him a lot and turns out he's one of my mains now. Though the wind stuff is always fun :p
Ya. He's not too bad, but he is a light character. Learn to use his aerials well enough, along with combos, and you shouldn't have to worry too much.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Ya. He's not too bad, but he is a light character. Learn to use his aerials well enough, along with combos, and you shouldn't have to worry too much.
Yeah that's my main problem, is his weight. Just gets ko'd way too easy. Even against shiek, she can kill him relatively easy.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Yeah G&W actually has a lot of combos and follow ups from d-throw. Seriously d-throw combos into so many of his attacks. I'm actually really liking G&W again and enjoying his playstyle.

Yeah that's my main problem, is his weight. Just gets ko'd way too easy. Even against shiek, she can kill him relatively easy.
As for his weight yeah he dies really quick which can be problematic. My advice is to try and stay in the middle of the stage to survive larger percents.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hasn't been as much of a problem for me, but you gotta get used to him. It'll fade away then.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Hasn't been as much of a problem for me, but you gotta get used to him. It'll fade away then.
im used to mid weights id say. zelda, pit, marth etc. but his playstyle and moveset is just too fun lol

but from what ive read around the only reason why he doesnt have much representation in top pro games is because his weight and hes kinda hard to kill with. at least, comparing to other high tiers

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
im used to mid weights id say. zelda, pit, marth etc. but his playstyle and moveset is just too fun lol

but from what ive read around the only reason why he doesnt have much representation in top pro games is because his weight and hes kinda hard to kill with. at least, comparing to other high tiers
Remember your bucket against projectile happy characters, and unleash when they forget that it's full. Use judge every once in a while too, you never know when you might get that lucky 9. Down smash near ledges isn't a bad idea either.

Last edited:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Remember your bucket against projectile happy characters, and unleash when they forget that it's full. Use judge every once in a while too, you never know when you might get that lucky 9.
haha yeah, i never forget bucket. i cant seem to land many hammers, unless theyre a big target. but for like fox, pikachu and such, not a chance lol

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Yeah this is true...Though it does feel weird when I die so early seeing as I am so used to being R.O.B.

haha yeah, i never forget bucket. i cant seem to land many hammers, unless theyre a big target. but for like fox, pikachu and such, not a chance lol
Try d-throw to hammer. It actually works and if you know they will air dodge or jump away then be ready for it and catch them off guard!

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Yeah this is true...Though it does feel weird when I die so early seeing as I am so used to being R.O.B.

Try d-throw to hammer. It actually works and if you know they will air dodge or jump away then be ready for it and catch them off guard!
yes, the down-throw to hammer is a thing ive been practicing. just takes time to get it right, but ill get the hang of it.

and how viable is the... bucked jump thing? idk what its called but i guess its that lol

Last edited:

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
yes, the down-throw to hammer is a thing ive been practicing. just takes time to get it right, but ill get the hang of it.

and how viable is the... bucked jump thing? idk what its called but i guess its that lol
To be honest I haven't use the bucket jump that much, but I heard its pretty useful since it gives him a little boost to his recovery and allows mix-ups.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
To be honest I haven't use the bucket jump that much, but I heard its pretty useful since it gives him a little boost to his recovery and allows mix-ups.
whenever i try it i usually get hit lol

then again im probably just using it at the wrong time :p

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
To reinforce my former idea, the more you play as G&W, the more you'll be able to live longer as G&W.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
People are finding success with Fair? I always get punished when I used that move
I mostly use it off stage to edge guard. With Smash 4 G&W I stay mostly grounded as he gets punished easily with his aerials due to high ending lag.

Top Bottom