• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

Lúcio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1922-4046
hey guys, i was just wondering how :4gaw: handles on the wii u version?
is he any different from the smaller 3ds version to play with competitively?
i don't have the money currently to buy a wii u, but i will be getting one in the spring so right now it's kinda depressing seeing everybody move on to the bigger, better console and leave me behind :L

also, if anybody would be kind enough to spare no longer than 20 minutes to complete my dissertation survey, i would be eternally grateful.
all the information you need is thoroughly explained in the link and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
According to Sakurai, there are no more balance patches coming out after 1.0.43DS/1.0.0U. That means :4gaw:'s nerfs are permanent.

Last edited:

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
At least when I lose, I can shrug it off with the "G&W sucks" excuse.
But when I win, I can say "u git reked."

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Time to brush up on my Jigglypuff skills.
JigglyWatch has become my go to set as well
Also I've seen a few people say the sakurai quote could have been mistranslated so that there are no more gameplay changes (stuff like removing vectoring) but characters may still be balanced further

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Hey guys I have a little bit of GW stuff i just uploaded, i'm recording some matches from last week's weekly right now but ive been up all night (I work late) so im passing out

Game And Watch Game 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_qf6c8FmyQ&list=UUMNi1nkIpqkfvHOeLlAmLdA

Game and Watch game 3 as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Ipt7iCRk4&list=UUMNi1nkIpqkfvHOeLlAmLdA

I don't have much more GW at the moment. Just a friendly and a tight ass doubles match where me and Wafty's GW Wario team still go in hard as ****

I know there's not a lot of us so i'll try to get mroe recorded. I had much better games with GW at the tourney but they werent on my wii so they weren't saved.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Here's a video showing combos G&W can pull using his down throw. Generally, after a down throw, follow it with one of these:
Any: can Down-B if full
0%-25%: Utilt
25%-95%: Nair
60%-95%: can jump and attempt Side-B for 9
95%-130%: Up-B, angled if needed
130%+: Out of range

Comments say he can do a lot more with cerain characters, such as Dthrow to jab against fastfallers. There was also something about full-hop Chefs and f/b-airs. The video mentions that his low crouch makes him miss most enemy attacks and can grab out of it.

The Perfect Pivot video says he can slide up to 3 Sawnik squares. And here's an unrelated Melee video.

EDIT: Also, on the Boxing Ring and Paper Mario stages, if you continually and repeatedly bucket before being bounced from jumping in the ropes or the green pipe, you can practically stand on them. This works on items also (but not in his Up-B as he can't act until the parachute comes out).

EDIT 2: at a high enough damage (50% is good), if you catch someone with a beetle, you can dtilt under them just as they are lifted up for a faster kill.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is anyone else having extreme problems versus Yoshi players? I can't seem to land any kills against them with all the eggs and aerials.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
Is anyone else having extreme problems versus Yoshi players? I can't seem to land any kills against them with all the eggs and aerials.
Landing a smash against Yoshi would be really annoying, since he's so fast in the air... Usmash might work because it has its invuln frames. Ideally though, I'd suggest going for the gimp with Fire/Fair/Dair>Fire.

Last edited:

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Going to add to the load. I probs do need some advice on RosaLuma, Toon Link, and Lucario.

Rosa? I got bodied, and yet all they did was dash attack and down smash. A bit annoying, so on that FG match I just taunted and SD'ed.

Toon Link, basically your average Link, but let's add fsmashes that somehow cut through your hitboxes into the equation.

Lucario. My friend tends to use advancing force palm and piercing sphere. When super desparate, he just hunts for the forcepalm/double team kill which is pretty cheap. At least he acknowledges what his character is and is humble when he wins...

Lol sorry I intend no salt I just need some help. I will say that spot dodging has saved my precious behind SO MANY times. But I need to stop whiffing those landing aerials.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yoshi is super hard, good character is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpzmzpZqY00#t=492

This is an old match, from the first smash 4 Tourney we had in AZ but I won with GW while my Rosie was losing. You can still probably grab some useful matchup info from it. I actually play against Yoshi a lot but I go Ness and Sheik on him so I don't have any real info for the specific matchups

however the secret to beating Yoshi is NOT BEING GREEDY

It deserves caps lock. Yoshi has the strongest combo breaker game in this game and if you extend too much he will reverse the momentum in a very powerful fashion and you WILL lose, because Yoshi's DPS is crazy.

Get your hit and reset, You'll have to keep beating him in neutral but you're not going to beat his Damage output so don't try. The flinch armor on the double jump, the nair, and the Up-B will save him from a lot of stuff. Even the down-b if you try to extend too much when he's above you and it WILL KO

Trust me, once i figured out why I kept losing to Yoshi and started playing less committal with my combos/strings it was loads easier, and as a GW main you should have pretty decent neutral anyway because he's never had free ways to approach his opponent (Except Bair vs low tiers in Brawl, but it didnt work against good characters generally)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yoshi is super hard, good character is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpzmzpZqY00#t=492

This is an old match, from the first smash 4 Tourney we had in AZ but I won with GW while my Rosie was losing. You can still probably grab some useful matchup info from it. I actually play against Yoshi a lot but I go Ness and Sheik on him so I don't have any real info for the specific matchups

however the secret to beating Yoshi is NOT BEING GREEDY

It deserves caps lock. Yoshi has the strongest combo breaker game in this game and if you extend too much he will reverse the momentum in a very powerful fashion and you WILL lose, because Yoshi's DPS is crazy.

Get your hit and reset, You'll have to keep beating him in neutral but you're not going to beat his Damage output so don't try. The flinch armor on the double jump, the nair, and the Up-B will save him from a lot of stuff. Even the down-b if you try to extend too much when he's above you and it WILL KO

Trust me, once i figured out why I kept losing to Yoshi and started playing less committal with my combos/strings it was loads easier, and as a GW main you should have pretty decent neutral anyway because he's never had free ways to approach his opponent (Except Bair vs low tiers in Brawl, but it didnt work against good characters generally)
And all this info. you keep giving us is for going against actual players, right (this is not meant to be on offensive, just a general question)? Or does it include CPUs? I'd like to know only because I usually don't have anyone over to play Smash AGAINST, but my sis will usually play with me in Multi-Man or sometimes Boss Battles back in Brawl. Thanks.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I am mostly a competitive player (although I do like to play casually and play 8 player with my co-workers all the time)

but yeah anything I post will generally be assumed to be focused on competitive play and will take into consideration aspects of competitive play including mental aspects and things that don't really exists when playing against computers.

I'd be happy to answer single players questions but i'm not as versed in single player and not really a big fan of the single player in this game (Although I loved the previous entries in the series single player)

If you want advice for playing CPU Yoshi though I would guess most of the stuff I said will still apply but you can be more lax about it because the computer inherently isn't as effective at doing these things because it's not a thinking entitity

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
So, uh, can you guys please give me advice?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Going to add to the load. I probs do need some advice on RosaLuma, Toon Link, and Lucario.

Rosa? I got bodied, and yet all they did was dash attack and down smash. A bit annoying, so on that FG match I just taunted and SD'ed.

Toon Link, basically your average Link, but let's add fsmashes that somehow cut through your hitboxes into the equation.

Lucario. My friend tends to use advancing force palm and piercing sphere. When super desparate, he just hunts for the forcepalm/double team kill which is pretty cheap. At least he acknowledges what his character is and is humble when he wins...

Lol sorry I intend no salt I just need some help. I will say that spot dodging has saved my precious behind SO MANY times. But I need to stop whiffing those landing aerials.
I don't have advice on Rosie, i'm sorry. That character kinda does work on GW. I used to crush FG GWs dream with that character, not that for glory matters, but that's my only experience with this matchup. IRL I use Sheik vs Rosie (Pre-Patch I did the ditto) GW is a heavy commitment character and that loses to Rosie. However i guess the highlight of this matchup would be keeping Rosie in the air. She can't land very easily without her luma. Split them up or manage to kill luma (somehow) and then keep her in the air with Nairs and Uair. You want her to Panic dair. don't get hit by it (lol duh) and punish with more nairs or whatever aerial you need to maintain your favorable position. Be careful about doing this when Luma is around, dair is a really good KO move for her and you=light. Her Recovery is a souped up Brawlucario Up-B so intercept her recovery by throwing out long lasting hitboxes (not too close to the ledge or she'll sweetspot for free and you'll lose a good opportunity. If you think she's gonna fly past the ledge you can probably uair her and if you can reach her in time you can probably punish but i dunno.

It just seems like a really hard matchup.

Toon Link sucks now too so that's cool. I dunno anything about playing him in this game though. Don't get hit... seriously. Watch for patterns in the way he throws the projectiles and try to sneak into his range. I know nothing about TL in this game except that his Bthrow kills now so don't get grabbed (Shouldn't be too hard, GW is fast and TLs grab isn't good) Wish I could give you more advice sorry.

I don't play with custom moves so I dunno what these things do, but are you using Bucket? You can get fast buckets off of lucario and they are insta kill buckets so take advantage or these things. If you can clarify or elaborate with what specifically you are having issues with i may have some ideas

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Alright thanks.

Regarding Lucario. Here's my report.

My friend as mentioned above uses advancing FP and piercing spheres. I have little to no problems racking up damage, but his comeback mechanic puts all of my hard work down the drain when I make just ONE mistake.

So, I get stuck into his 3 jabs sometimes, but that just gives me 12% and time to brainstorm. Because of oil panic's lag, he basically ZSS's me. Whether I catch anything or not, he would dash attack/grab me. He will never approach, he'll just do taunt wars with me if that happens.

I mean, there's not much to say other than I die to force palm/double team. I can bait him out to do something wrong pretty well.

What I can probably start doing is to jump & air dodge whenever he tries to ram Extreme Speed into me. That way, he'll eat the cool down and I'll claim his stock. If he does anything else, I do Ping Pong where I keep sending him back with dash attack.

tl;dr The average Lucario scrub who spams side b/double team when desperate, thus sending all my hard work down the drain.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I am mostly a competitive player (although I do like to play casually and play 8 player with my co-workers all the time)

but yeah anything I post will generally be assumed to be focused on competitive play and will take into consideration aspects of competitive play including mental aspects and things that don't really exists when playing against computers.

I'd be happy to answer single players questions but i'm not as versed in single player and not really a big fan of the single player in this game (Although I loved the previous entries in the series single player)

If you want advice for playing CPU Yoshi though I would guess most of the stuff I said will still apply but you can be more lax about it because the computer inherently isn't as effective at doing these things because it's not a thinking entitity
Alright thanks. I'll let you know if I have any other single-player G&W questions.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
I found a new AT with G&W. You can OOS with upsmash and you can hit people between multihit attacks without being hit

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
The video I promised!!!

Is this useful? I think YES

Leave your opinion here

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Now it's only a matter of time before we start mastering it.

So if you do an uncharged usmash, you're technically only vulnerable for 5-6 frames?

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
oh god, I kinda neglected my G&W training after going deep with WFT and R.O.B. plus picking up bowser didn't help either.

However this new upsmash stuff looks really awesome! I gotta practice the timing with that! :-)

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
If Mr. Game & Watch had a trailer, what would it look like?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I wish I had been aware of jump canceled up smashes a lot sooner.

Being able to skip the shield dropping animation opens up a lot of opportunities to punish that normally aren't available.

X3I

Smash Apprentice
I was spamming this forum with "UpSmash is broken guys !, and no one believed me... Now, everyone starts to realize it when I don't post anymore... That's silly xD

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Just discovered that Oil Panic apparently has super armor before the absorbing hitbox comes out (the stuff that makes him invincible during his usmash). I was going to catch a wandering Bob-omb with it but pulled the bucket out too late. It exploded on me but I didn't get any oil units, damage or knockback. I just stood there holding out an empty bucket.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Just discovered that Oil Panic apparently has super armor before the absorbing hitbox comes out (the stuff that makes him invincible during his usmash). I was going to catch a wandering Bob-omb with it but pulled the bucket out too late. It exploded on me but I didn't get any oil units, damage or knockback. I just stood there holding out an empty bucket.
The effect on his up smash is more like a guard point, not super armor. It's a property that's common in numerous other fighting games, and refers to a move's ability to absorb hits without taking damage in the same manner as you would blocking/shielding.

In any case, does the bucket actually produce the blue circle like the up smash does when that happens, and have you tested on any unbucketable attacks?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The only other character with this property on some
moves is Palutena with her tilts, dash attack
and Bair. Dash attack is notable for almost covering
her body.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
The effect on his up smash is more like a guard point, not super armor. It's a property that's common in numerous other fighters, and refers to a move's ability to absorb hits without taking damage in the same manner as you would blocking/shielding.

In any case, does the bucket actually produce the blue circle like the up smash does when that happens, and have you tested on any unbucketable attacks?
I'm nowhere near fast enough to test that out. I pulled out the bucket a frame before the Bob-omb went off, but only by accident. Its explosion obscured everything though, so I don't know if it created any circles.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I was spamming this forum with "UpSmash is broken guys !, and no one believed me... Now, everyone starts to realize it when I don't post anymore... That's silly xD
Ya, I'm pretty sure you were right. Finally got the game on Christmas, and played around with G&W today. I had a Sonic use Spin Dash on me, and I attacked him with a U-smash. I took some damage and knockback, but I did kill him with it.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
So what's the use for fsmash? Did usmash dethrone it?

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The only other character with this property on some
moves is Palutena with her tilts, dash attack
and Bair. Dash attack is notable for almost covering
her body.
Bowser's up smash actually has a guard point on it, as well. It doesn't come out nearly as fast as G&W's, though.

I actually meant to say other fighting games, not other fighters.

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Ya, I'm pretty sure you were right. Finally got the game on Christmas, and played around with G&W today. I had a Sonic use Spin Dash on me, and I attacked him with a U-smash. I took some damage and knockback, but I did kill him with it.
3DS or U?

Top Bottom