• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moves that "pause" the game

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
So, I've noticed that certain moves "pause" the game either when you sweetspot them or just hit with them in general. I made a list of who's and whats, but its really small. What other moves are so epic the peeps over at Sora decided it was worth "pausing" the game for?

List so far:
Zelda's f-air, b-air, and d-air. all sweetspotted
Falcons knee. sweetspotted
Ganondorf's D-air
Pikachu's D-smash?
DK's d-air
Marth's tipped f-smash
T. Link's Second hit f-smash
Ness' B-air?

There's got to be more than that. Anyone else know of any?

And yeah, the "pause button" jokes are expected, so I wouldn't even bother anymore.

.A.

Smash Rookie
I'm not too sure on this but I think Marth's tippered FSmash and Toon Link's second hit of his FSmash does it too

Well, I'm not sure if it pauses the game, but theres a delay before they're sent off

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
afaik, the moves dont 'pause' the entire game, sweetspotting these specific attacks only 'pauses' (called hitstun or hitlag afaik) and affects the attacker more than the victim, as the victim can still move after being hit, whist the attacker reminds frozen completely for the sweetspotted frames, presumably as a balancing measure.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It's hitlag. It was in Melee and 64, too, but it was less noticeable.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
So, I've noticed that certain moves "pause" the game either when you sweetspot them or just hit with them in general. I made a list of who's and whats, but its really small. What other moves are so epic the peeps over at Sora decided it was worth "pausing" the game for?

List so far:
Zelda's f-air, b-air, and d-air. all sweetspotted
Falcons knee. sweetspotted
Ganondorf's D-air
Pikachu's D-smash?
DK's d-air
Marth's tipped f-smash
T. Link's Second hit f-smash

There's got to be more than that. Anyone else know of any?
this is too funny one of our friends we smash with came up with this, everytime he sweat spotted with zelda's b-air/f-air he was like "i just paused the game on you"

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I know, I found it so entertaining, I wanted a list of all the moves that could do that. It's a fun/horrid feeling when it pauses the game just to say "Hey look at that, you just got owned! Have fun dying!"

I got the point that it's hit lag, but I'm looking for the ones with so much it looks like it pauses the game. Have you seen Zelda sweetspot her kicks? It freezes for at least half a second (or so it feels).

saud

Smash Lord
+ button on the Wiimote.

Those "pauses" add to the sexiness of the moves. I think Ness' back air too...forgot...will have to try.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
its seriously there since bro 64 lol
usually the stronger move has longer hitlag that's why its more noticeable
that's all

Doval

Smash Lord
This.
FalconPunch said:
Every move.
In Brawl it's more accentuated than ever for certain moves, but every move does this and has been doing it since forever. Really, practically every single game has it, otherwise blows just don't look/feel like they connect.
afaik, the moves dont 'pause' the entire game, sweetspotting these specific attacks only 'pauses' (called hitstun or hitlag afaik) and affects the attacker more than the victim, as the victim can still move after being hit, whist the attacker reminds frozen completely for the sweetspotted frames, presumably as a balancing measure.
Both players freeze for an equal amount of time (note that it's possible for another player to run into the attack while it's frozen, and the attacker will receive hit lag all over again.) In Melee, electrifying attacks had the property of giving x1.5 the usual hit lag to the receiver, so for stuff like Pikachu's F-Smash it was actually possible for the attacker to have less hit lag than the receiver. Not sure if that's still in Brawl though.

The only thing that's particularly peculiar is that in Melee, you could Smash DI on every frame of hit lag. For moves that have an excessive amount of hit lag in Brawl, there seems to be a certain point during which you can't do Smash DI even though you're still in hit lag.

Top Bottom