• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moves Snakes Should Use Moar (and less)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
this is just an opinion, feel free to disagree.

Now honestly you can get by as snake with mostly grenades, grabs, jabs, and tilts. But snake's moveset is so beast I think we should look into it a bit deeper.

MOVES SNAKE PLAYERS SHOULD USE MOAR

1. Short hop Dair

this **** is too beast. its sort of the ultimate punishment move for rolls and spotdodges.. sure you get punished if you misread, but you're snake man you don't die. Also its another great addition to our d-throw game when people try to mix it up by staying on the ground or standing up without attacking. Also it eats shields probably better than anything snake has. I've broken many shields with it. Also it kills, like all of snakes moves. It's harder to SDI than people think, especially on the ground.

2. FORWARD SMASH

Dude, the **** does like a billion damage and kills people at 50%. the reward is clearly worth the risk if you use it in smart situations. Punish airdodges with it. Roll chase with it. If you're a wimp, the safest time to use it is near the edge, when you're opponent is getting up. f-smash has huge range, so give your self some room and see if you can get a hit in. in most cases they will simply block it and roll back off of the stage. Unfortunately it doesn't really beat spotdodges (that would be broketown), but people FEAR THIS MOVE. and you can get a lot of people to **** up. Just be smart about it.

3. Dash Attack

Why don't snakes dash attack more? This is literally I think Snakes second or third best move. It has dumb range, invincibility, and deceptively short winddown. In many cases a regular dash attack is a better option than a hesitated DACUS.

3. UP TILT

Okay I know you're like wtf Up Tilt is the name of Snakes game. The problem is Alot of Snakes simply never pull this move out until its time to kill someone, but this move is too damn good for that. IMO use Uptilt as much as you want. A. You're Snake, all your moves kill. B. You're Snake, even a stale uptilt kills. C. You're Snake, even if you're moves are stale you're probably still going to out survive your opponent. To quote Reflex: Its the best projectile in the game.

4. UpSmash

Another under utilized move in my opinion. Its a pain in the *** for characters like Peach and DDD who like to be in the air a lot. (not so much metaknight, because he's metaknight). if they air dodge it, you get a free hit. But be careful with it if they're getting close to you. Most character have at least one aerial that clanks with the mortar, but you're still pressuring them, and in some cases you can get a hit in as they do the move.

MOVES SNAKES SHOULD USE LESS

1. DACUS

Don't get me wrong. DACUS is ****ing broken. But only if you're not predictable with it. Snake players go into auto pilot a lot and just throw the move out without thinking. Many characters can punish the move if they are expecting it.

2. AIR DODGE

Yo, you're not Ally. I don't know how Ally gets away with air dodging so much, he has perfect timing. But for us normal human beings, airdodging is like really bad. Unless you're like 100% sure you're going to get to the ground safely, don't airdodge. It's pretty much the first thing our opponents are waiting for us to do. You'd be surprised how often throwing out a quick Bair instead will save your ***. and of course we always have b-reversal

3. SPOT DODGE

Go into any other character's matchup threads, half the time you'll see someone say something like "Snake players tend to spot dodge a lot". We need to quit doing that ****. depending on who we're fighting, it's often better to just shield. Or run away.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Dair is not always the beat option because you have to read rolls quite early and depending on their position not all 4 kicks will hit, which make an ftilt just as good except safer.

Don't get too explosion happy with fsmash. Use it for when you read ledge recovery options and air dodge; nicely summarized janitor.

Dr.Complexity

Smash Rookie
Dair I would use less

F airs Always good for a KO :C

I save my uptilts for High percents

Depends though for chars like DK Bowser and DDD I would us up tilt more.

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
I find that rapid jab is much more effective at punishing rolls/spotdodges than SH dair. I only use SH dair occasionally against bigger characters.

I rarely ever find situations where I could/should use fsmash.

I usually save up tilt for when my opponent's in kill range, but I know I need to start using it more. It can be good when you're at really high percents and the person I'm fighting isn't close to killing percents. You can spam it like any other move at that point because it'll refresh once you die.

Snake's dash attack is awesome.

We should all try to use more OoS dair.( i think i will throw together an OoS list together)
We should almost never use fsmash this move should only be used against people whom you notice are mis-spacing their aerials or if you're Fatal and you fsmash MKs recovering foolishly by drill rush.
I find that by throwing out fair a lot of people get hit by it even though its 23 frames.
Jab is amazing, use it more.
Forcing people to jump over nades and getting them with nair is awesome.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Dair is bad against any decent player who can Sdi it. Unless they're using d3 or dk.

Dash attack is bad against anyone who out-disjoints it.

Fsmash and dsmash should be used more.

Usmash oos is incredible on certain characters, and will often frame trap into an uair.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I agree with everything in the post except Dash attack. Outside of certain matchups we get punishes for it pretty damn hard.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Also: Snakes when you're recovering from up top and you drop a c4 don't waste your second jump and detonate it. It never workable against people with half a brain. The c4 itself acts as a deterrent so throwing out a nair or pulling a nade is better.

Upair works as a good mix up instead of back air for when you're coming back down on the stage. The hitbox reaches further than you think horizontally. With uair at low percentages you can string into a jab ftilt or jab grab. At higher percentages you can get them directly above you which would be favorable for you.

And tech I'm assuming if that's only when the dash hotbot hits and not the mortar hitbox?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
uthrow -> utilt needs to be used more against fast fallers/heavies at low percents, does some wicked damage, and allows you to throw around some nades/mortar unpressured by the opponent briefly.

uthrow -> utilt needs to be used more against fast fallers/heavies at low percents, does some wicked damage, and allows you to throw around some nades/mortar unpressured by the opponent briefly.
yeah i forgot about that. On falco and fox its pretty much guaranteed at low really low percents. They can DI to one side so it is a tech chase but it seems inescapable as long as your reaction time is up to speed

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
uthrow tech chase? LOLOLOL
Naw, it's a string, at low percents they fall so fast/are so big and utilt's hitbox is so big that you nail them for like 20-23% :)

Actually I guess it's a tech chase in the sense that you've got to choose based on prediction, but not in the sense of dthrow's tech chase.

Kunx990

Smash Apprentice
I'd say to add dtilt really. Although I've been trying to master Jab Ftilt Jab Ftilt Jab combo

napZzz

Smash Hero
do you keep up with the metagame/are you handicapped? A little bit of both I think.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I find that rapid jab is much more effective at punishing rolls/spotdodges than SH dair. I only use SH dair occasionally against bigger characters.
against some characters. I'm not much of a frame data buff, but certain character's spotdodges have weird properties that cant beat jab. dedede comes to mind. wtf is up with his spotdodge., he can spotdodge first two hits of jab and shield grab last hit. obv we can mix it up, but i find dair to be beast against his big ***.

i like it vs pikachu and pit too

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
gotta mix it up.

jab to grab (assuming the opponent falls for it) is potentially more rewarding.

and sometimes you can get the opponent so shook that you can do crazy **** like jab, first hit of ftilt, jab, ftilt. sometimes just gotta see what you can get away with. occasionally i like to try jab to sh dair lol but thats just me i love sh dair

also jab to ftilt is not a true combo on all characters if i'm not mistaken.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Addendum to Dash Attack: Snake can go directly into his crouch animation right after the dash attack without going into his regular standing animation in between. No idea if this is known but it could be useful.

:059:

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Ty soo much for sh dair tip, I hate when people play dead to avoid the tech chase

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
Nair could work in OoS?
i try it some times, but its slow and only hit one side.

btw
i'll use more Dair OoS, but i need more mindgame to hit it
the dash attack i really don't use, only in DACUS, so i'll try it xd
Fsmash... i only use in stages like SmashVille, when i can jump cancel in plataform and use f-smash, nobody expect that >=)

Someone tried to grab release, while using pummel and then U-tilt?
like the fmash in jump plataform cancel, nobody expect that, btw.. i use only one time in the set or some like that (to not be predictable)

Snake da bess...

well.. i'm not a pro and anything so... bye :Ñ

DiskaSM

Smash Apprentice
I'd add dtilt to this list. I've gotten a lot of kills on people with it. I use at as a sort of emergency kill move against opponents who are too careful to get hit by utilt. I've gotten a good number of kills with it against smart opponents like SlayerZ and others.

It will kill on average at 20%-30% higher than utilt, depending on who you're fighting.

Top Bottom