• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Move Decay across the cast

Albert.

Smash Master
So I was wondering about the new Move Decay system in Brawl.
And I was wondering, are there certain characters that must rely on a certain set of moves and are then more adversely affected by the Decay system?

and are there characters or situations where the Decay system can be almost completely ignored?

Is it just a skill thing?

PS I used a couple of different searches to try and see if there were any similar discussions already posted. If there were, I'm sorry for the redundancy, please don't harm me!

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
If you don't want a move to decay, don't hit with it.
Or just don't use it a lot.

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to ask something, to remove decay from other moves, can you for example spam the laser from fox, even if its not hitting anything

Browny

Smash Hater
yep

some characters like ike dont have many moves they can use, and have to stick to a-a-a and maybe nair to rack up the damage since aerials approaches are very risky with him, and most of his specials arent used to damage. while characters like lucario have a whole heap of moves to rack up damage, lots of aerials that work in all situations and a projectile to help remove move decay quickly, so it doesnt affect him very much.

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
but, if the move does not hit an opponent it still removes decay? like shooting lasers to the air

D

Deleted member

but, if the move does not hit an opponent it still removes decay? like shooting lasers to the air
no, and it doesnt refresh if you hit somebodies shield, the move has to connect with another character to be added to the decay list

as to your original question, i think jiggs would be ***** pretty hard by this because of the fair and bair being used so much. peach can also be screwed by decay because a lot of people like to use her fair to rack up damage, and thats like one of her only kill moves lol

Albert.

Smash Master
to sasukebowser, I don't think you understood the premise of my question.

what you said doesnt mean anything when it comes to the different characters and how it affects them individualy

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
yeah, i can relate to the jiggly part, his Fair is a great kill move, but is also one of the best killing moves she has when i play her i usually play according to the character, if i play against someone who can be edgeguarded i use Fair a lot, but against R.O.B. and chars with great recovery i try to keep my use of Fair more limited

cutter

Smash Champion
yep

some characters like ike dont have many moves they can use, and have to stick to a-a-a and maybe nair to rack up the damage since aerials approaches are very risky with him, and most of his specials arent used to damage. while characters like lucario have a whole heap of moves to rack up damage, lots of aerials that work in all situations and a projectile to help remove move decay quickly, so it doesnt affect him very much.
That and lucario has a very fast grab attack which is just awesome at refreshing moves. The same can be said for Wolf and Samus.

Actually, just spamming your character's grab move when you get a grab is a fantastic way of refreshing stale moves period. Every single grab attack will register and count as an individual move.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Every time you use a move it goes on the decay list. When you connect with a move, it goes on the decay list and refresh list. The threashold for move decay seems to be eight, so once you move gets "pushed" off the list, it's fresh again
Decay affects big, slow , strong characters more since they dont connect with as many moves. People use grab jabs to refresh, which works well Ad some people like Marth have quick attacks to get rid of decay

Adapt

Smash Lord
The only move I know that doesn't decay is DK's forward throw.
As mentioned: ZSS's nair does not decay.
Samus's zair does not decay and maybe Ivysaur's f-B as well

However... these moves do not enter into the queue so they will not refresh other moves either.

Another point: Samus/Lucario/Wolf's grab attack will not enter into the decay queue if it is done too quickly.
(look at Mafia/Overswarm's discussion here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=181286&page=2)

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
some attacks seem to decay so much more then others like smashes more then up Bs

Albert.

Smash Master
TO "rooooy"

I'm not throwing it around as if it was new, didn't you my initial post?
what I'm asking is if any of you think that certain characters are worse off than others because of the Decay system.

but actually now I've come to the conclusion that all the really good players with all the characters obviously can make it unnoticable.

Martial

Smash Apprentice
Characters like ROB can get a bit flummoxed with the move decay system, as their kill moves become basically unusable as such after even just one hit, and need to be recharged.

On the other hand, characters like Marth are virtually unfazed by move decay; Marth, alongside having an incredibly versatile moveset in the first place, can use his Dancing Blade to restore his other moves to their full strength rather quickly.

l0n3r

Smash Cadet
Toon Link's Smash ^A gets decayed after 2 or 3 hits, then it's almost impossible to kill with.

ThrillCkr419

Smash Rookie
Every time you use a move it goes on the decay list. When you connect with a move, it goes on the decay list and refresh list. The threashold for move decay seems to be eight, so once you move gets "pushed" off the list, it's fresh again
Decay affects big, slow , strong characters more since they dont connect with as many moves. People use grab jabs to refresh, which works well Ad some people like Marth have quick attacks to get rid of decay
Is there a difference between the decay list and refresh list that your talking about?

Top Bottom